New Canon 800 mm Prime

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
New Canon 800 mm Prime
7 months ago

Just wondering who is going to jump on this bad boy? I bet it will be an awesome lens.

Canon Rumors has it as a CR II which is pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

 garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon 800 mm Prime
In reply to garyknrd, 7 months ago

garyknrd wrote:

Just wondering who is going to jump on this bad boy? I bet it will be an awesome lens.

Canon Rumors has it as a CR II which is pretty good.

Not me. I have the existing 800mm which I really enjoy. Lately however I've been considering "crossgrading" it to the 600 mk II plus 1.4x extender. That's a lighter and more flexible combination without much (if any) downside to image quality. A new 800mm would likely be both lighter and sharper (and more expensive...) than the existing 800 but I'd probably still prefer the 600+1.4x because the 600mm focal length and extra stop of speed is something I know I'd find useful.

 RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon 800 mm Prime
In reply to RedYeti, 7 months ago

RedYeti wrote:

garyknrd wrote:

Just wondering who is going to jump on this bad boy? I bet it will be an awesome lens.

Canon Rumors has it as a CR II which is pretty good.

Not me. I have the existing 800mm which I really enjoy. Lately however I've been considering "crossgrading" it to the 600 mk II plus 1.4x extender. That's a lighter and more flexible combination without much (if any) downside to image quality. A new 800mm would likely be both lighter and sharper (and more expensive...) than the existing 800 but I'd probably still prefer the 600+1.4x because the 600mm focal length and extra stop of speed is something I know I'd find useful.

I was thinking allot of folks would say the same thing. My first thought when I saw the Rumor. Although I don't have the 800 or the 600 LOL. But still my first thought.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

 garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ken Phillips
Forum ProPosts: 16,325
Like?
Well, I have the 600+1.4x and ...
In reply to RedYeti, 7 months ago

... that 1.4x is NEVER off of the lens! Still, I keep the 600 because maybe some day I can use a little less range and a little more speed. It could happen!

KP

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rebel99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,873
Like?
Re: Well, I have the 600+1.4x and ...
In reply to Ken Phillips, 7 months ago

Ken Phillips wrote:

... that 1.4x is NEVER off of the lens! Still, I keep the 600 because maybe some day I can use a little less range and a little more speed. It could happen!

KP

i got my 600mm f4 II a few months ago and i do have both of the caon tc extender III. i tested my lens taking photos of the moon and tried both tc extenders with dissapointing result finding that 600mm f4II works the best without using tc. when i watched my moon photos without using tc on my laptop, the photos seemed stunning, the detail and sharpness was outstanding! however, the photos that i used either tcs, turned out ok but not stunning as the ones without tc. the case of using tc with canon 300 f2.8II is different and infact it doersn't change the iq noticably at all. just a little info on this subject by the way, i don't find the canon 800mm f? as practical as the 600mm so i wouldn't worry about it.

cheerz.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NeilSDPR
Regular MemberPosts: 276
Like?
Re: New Canon 800 mm Prime
In reply to garyknrd, 7 months ago

What ever else it can do, its going to have to better 1200mm ie verses the 600mm mark 2 and 2x tc mark 3 combination, and without using a Kenko tc to maintain AF

That ain't going to be easy, and anyone who shoots long telephotos normally does so for the maximum focal length, the mark 3 tc being superb  on the  mark 2 primes

It may well be a case of 600mm out performing the 800mm on focal length with AF, so its a no brainer, that is of course unless its significantly lighter and smaller, in which case it may have an advantage for some shooters

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,001Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon 800 mm Prime
In reply to garyknrd, 7 months ago

garyknrd wrote:

Just wondering who is going to jump on this bad boy? I bet it will be an awesome lens.

Canon Rumors has it as a CR II which is pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

What about a 800mm f/4 lens? Could such a lens be practically possible with the new materials used in the 500mm and 600mm  II versions? Someone I was talking to last night claimed to have tried one in at some safari . I'm thinking they were mistaken and really were trying out the new 800/5.6 but they insisted it was an f/4.

 riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul B Jones
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
Skeptical
In reply to garyknrd, 7 months ago

The existing 800mm is a relatively recent lens (I believe it has the newer IS in it). Given that, I don't think it would be high on the priority list of lenses that Canon would want to update. But I could be wrong.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads