FZ200 purchase and needed lens help

Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions
estero
Contributing MemberPosts: 525
Like?
FZ200 purchase and needed lens help
Sep 2, 2013

I was able to get a decent price on the FZ200 from Amazon and would like to get a couple extra lens. I take pictures on the water while fishing and would like to get a Polarizer filter, and close up macro for macro shots. Do I need an adapter for the lens or can I just screw the extra lens on the FZ200 directly?. I have used the Panasonic DMW LPL46 with my FZ35 and it was very good.

Recommendations on lens and needed adapters would be appreciated.

Jerrich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,509Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 purchase and needed lens help
In reply to estero, Sep 2, 2013

Any 52mm filter will screw right onto the lens front.  I KEEP a Tiffen UV filter on mine always for protection, even though Graham Houghton says not to.  A polarizer would be handy, as well as a ND for occasional use.  Haven't used any external lenses yet but do have a Sony 1758 1.7X with an adapter ring for future use.  Congrats on the new camera.  Browse the many shots from the 200 here on the site, many are outstanding.

JR

-- hide signature --

Nikon F (Sold)
Argus C44R (gorgeous)(Sold)
Fuji S100fs(Sold)
Canon A20, A80, A710, A650, G11
Panny FZ200

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,337Gear list
Like?
In reply to estero, Sep 3, 2013

estero wrote:

I was able to get a decent price on the FZ200 from Amazon and would like to get a couple extra lens. I take pictures on the water while fishing and would like to get a Polarizer filter, and close up macro for macro shots. Do I need an adapter for the lens or can I just screw the extra lens on the FZ200 directly?. I have used the Panasonic DMW LPL46 with my FZ35 and it was very good.

Recommendations on lens and needed adapters would be appreciated.

I have a Canon 500d macro lens and it screws straight on to the front of the FZ200. No need for an adapter. I don't have a polariser, but I doubt that would need an adapter either. You really only need an adapter for something heavy, like a tele-converter.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,344Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Sep 3, 2013

You don't need a circular polarizing filter - 52mm - on the FZ200; an economical linear filter is all that's required. Only D-SLR AF systems require a circular polarizer. B+W makes some of the best filters in the world, but Hoya and Tiffen are good and inexpensive.

As for UV filters I've never used one in the 50+ years I've been shooting. A lens hood is better at protecting the lens from ghosting and stray light entering the lens and sensor. I always keep a lens hood on my FZ150.

See more on this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_%28photography%29

estero
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Sep 3, 2013

Thanks for the information. I will definitely get a Panasonic DMW-LPL52 52mm Polarizing filter or equivalent in the near future.

Jerrich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,509Gear list
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Sep 3, 2013

Graham Houghton's tutorials on YouTube feel the same way about lens hoods.  I 'usually' keep mine on also, except when the flash is popped up.  Hoods are fine, but no help against mist, salt water, sand, etc.  Knowing the inexpensive filter is in front of the lens gives me some peace of mind.  If I ever see any image harm (none yet), it can come off in about a second.  Cheers.

JR

-- hide signature --

Nikon F (Sold)
Argus C44R (gorgeous)(Sold)
Fuji S100fs(Sold)
Canon A20, A80, A710, A650, G11
Panny FZ200

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
Ric Cheng
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
In reply to estero, Sep 3, 2013

Raynox dcr-150 and Raynox dcr-250

estero
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, Sep 4, 2013

John McCormack wrote:

You don't need a circular polarizing filter - 52mm - on the FZ200; an economical linear filter is all that's required. Only D-SLR AF systems require a circular polarizer. B+W makes some of the best filters in the world, but Hoya and Tiffen are good and inexpensive.

As for UV filters I've never used one in the 50+ years I've been shooting. A lens hood is better at protecting the lens from ghosting and stray light entering the lens and sensor. I always keep a lens hood on my FZ150.

See more on this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_%28photography%29

What would be the main difference in a circular or linear polarizer? I want a filter to cut the reflections on the water so a little depth can be achieved down in the water. It seems that most that I have seen are circular polarizing filters.

sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,960Gear list
Like?
In reply to estero, Sep 4, 2013

estero wrote:

John McCormack wrote:

You don't need a circular polarizing filter - 52mm - on the FZ200; an economical linear filter is all that's required. Only D-SLR AF systems require a circular polarizer. B+W makes some of the best filters in the world, but Hoya and Tiffen are good and inexpensive.

See more on this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarizing_filter_%28photography%29

What would be the main difference in a circular or linear polarizer? I want a filter to cut the reflections on the water so a little depth can be achieved down in the water. It seems that most that I have seen are circular polarizing filters.

You need a circular polarizer if you have an SLR with a "half-silvered" mirror because the mirror reflects primarily light with a specific polarization, and you'll end up with mis-exposed images.

Other than that, the linear is fine, and will transmit just a bit more light, however it's quite hard to find linear polarizers because the circular ones are "one type fits all".

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads