Started Sep 2, 2013 | Discussions
1prime
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Re: can't believe my 5R has lost almost half value in 7 months
In reply to Mel Snyder, Sep 3, 2013

Mel Snyder wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

This is why you wait. I want a NEX 6 but I am waiting until they get down to under $400 for the body. Only a matter of time as I'm sure Sony will release another camera with a built in EVF

And in the meantime, you will lose the fun of shooting one of the most fabulous cameras introduced in years.

The NEX-6 was introduced almost exactly a year ago. Had you purchased it then, and put a dollar in the bank every day since then, it would have cost $400 - and you would have had the joy of using this great camera all 365 days. And the next 365 days. There is no certainty that the NEX-6 be at $400 a year from now, no matter what Sony introduces. They're concentrating on the dSLR looking camera market now.

There's no freaking way I would not spend a dollar a day for 2 years to reconcile the price I paid for this great image-making machine.

But Mel, you know my wait to get a NEX. I'm not sure about your economic theory, but there is a satisfaction in getting a deal, especially on what is a discretionary item for many of our wives. For me the objective was point of entry, and Steve helped by tipping me off to 5r open boxes @ $349 for me.  I can now keep the 5r, which I think I will since it's so portable, and then add a 6 or 7x when their prices plummet, & they all do at some point. I took a couple of 16mm shots, and will share them when we unpack from the boat.

-- hide signature --

1prime

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
1prime
Contributing MemberPosts: 866Gear list
Like?
Hey Punk, I mean Sir Punk,
In reply to Sir Punk, Sep 3, 2013

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

I don't want to rub it in, but I just picked up an open box 5r yesterday for $349. I tried to get it for $332 but the store manager wouldn't go there. Yes, I'm thrilled with my deal & the camera.

But the flip side is I've spent many hours exploring which Nex body to get and how to go about it. I'm not sure you wanted to put that much time into it. We've all bought things when they came out at MSRP so the phrase I hate to hear is, "Just live with it." Sorry to be so rash, but you still have a marvelous camera, so with a nicer tone, just enjoy living with it!

-- hide signature --

1prime

Abaregi
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?

Well i never by anything new. I always wait at least 4 month till the prices stabilize.

At least in Sweden it is always like that and most electronics like cell phones, computes stuff, cameras stuff that you upgrade again and again always drops 20-30% as all the online shops compete the first months and then they stay stable for the rest of the year (except holiday offers)

I bought my 5R for around 600$ which is cheap it sold for 980$ and went down to 830$ the first three months..

(We have a different tax system 600$ is not much here for a camera)

Why pay through your nose?

nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,833Gear list
Like?
If you drop it, it will lose the other half.

n/t

-- hide signature --

Life is short - drive a convertible.
Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society. Aristotle

marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Re: Surprising...
In reply to lenshoarder, Sep 3, 2013

lenshoarder wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Some cameras lose value faster than others, but Sony NEX cameras (until recently I guess) generally hold their value well.

But the fact the NEX-5R / 18-55 kit is $499 at a reputable shop like B&H is crazy to me, considering that when the NEX-3N came out, I purchased the 3N kit from them for the exact same $499 that the far better 5R is now selling at.

They do hold their value well. Used 5N's sell for more than new one's did at their final clearance price.

I don't know why this is surprising. This isn't natural price destruction, it's a clearance that Sony initiated. They do it every year. They did it for the NEX 3/5. They did it for the C3/5N. Now they are doing it for the 5R. You can set your clock by it.

Perhaps, and maybe it's because I don't check prices for every single Sony body on a weekly basis.  But I do know that Sony did not put the 5N on final clearance so early into it's lifecycle.  The NEX-7 has never been put on clearance, nor was the RX100.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
DT200
Contributing MemberPosts: 835
Like?
Hooray for ME!!!
In reply to Keit ll, Sep 3, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

That's why I don't keep changing cameras ( or my mind ). Most purchases are not investments ! If a tool does its job & was considered good value at the time of purchase then that's about all you can expect.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Hooray for ME!!!

My heavily discounted (but brand new) 5R arrives today via UPS.  Soon I'll have one and an extra $400 in my pocket. 

richard NO
Contributing MemberPosts: 824Gear list
Like?
Re: 7 months *is* unusual for a Sony camera
In reply to marike6, Sep 3, 2013

marike6 wrote:

The RX-100, for example, hasn't dropped at all in price (it's still 650 USD) and version two has already shipped.

The Rx-100 has dropped  25 % here in Norway since it's release...

-- hide signature --

Photography for me is not about recreating what i saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way i want to see the world
Cheers!
Richard Larssen http://www.flickr.com/photos/uberdogleg/
-------------------

richard NO's gear list:richard NO's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +3 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,554
Like?

Sir Punk wrote:

I have been reading a bit the news on nex rumors and I happened to noticed a post about the 5R being sold for $429

I bought my 5R at the end of January for $700 and now it's probably worth $300 on the used market. I know how much technology depreciates but also my experience with other expensive digital cameras I have owned (one example to LX3) was that the value wouldn't go down so sharply. Not even a year has gone by.

This makes me reconsider Sony for my next purchase of a digital camera with such short product life.

What are people thoughts on this matter? I am quite upset about it. I always sell my gear and reinvest that money to buy new one but this 5R is going to be quite a financial loss.

Welcome to the Mean Streets of Camera Body Devaluing.

You should try selling a used mountain bike!

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

The thing that matters most is to get the very best out of what we have.

Upgrade?

Yeah, I want to upgrade myself.

MSnell3
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Re: Hey Punk, I mean Sir Punk,
In reply to 1prime, Sep 3, 2013

1prime wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

I don't want to rub it in, but I just picked up an open box 5r yesterday for $349. I tried to get it for $332 but the store manager wouldn't go there. Yes, I'm thrilled with my deal & the camera.

But the flip side is I've spent many hours exploring which Nex body to get and how to go about it. I'm not sure you wanted to put that much time into it. We've all bought things when they came out at MSRP so the phrase I hate to hear is, "Just live with it." Sorry to be so rash, but you still have a marvelous camera, so with a nicer tone, just enjoy living with it!

-- hide signature --

1prime

What store was this at? Best Buy?

Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 18,235
Like?
Re: Surprising...

marike6 wrote:

Some cameras lose value faster than others, but Sony NEX cameras (until recently I guess) generally hold their value well.

But the fact the NEX-5R / 18-55 kit is $499 at a reputable shop like B&H is crazy to me, considering that when the NEX-3N came out, I purchased the 3N kit from them for the exact same $499 that the far better 5R is now selling at.

I did not get on well at all with the 3N. Because of the lower res LCD and the rather mediocre 16-50 PZ, I lasted three weeks with the NEX-3N before listing it one Ebay. But I have always wanted a NEX-5N or R, but the near $800 seemed to always put the brakes on my plans for a NEX-5R.

Now I'm thinking, NEX-5R body and CZ 16-70 f4 would make a terrific second camera. And the money saved on the NEX-5R, could offset the price of the zoom. And rest assured, that the CZ 16-70 f4 is one piece of kit that will never lose value so dramatically.

Anyway, I'm sorry you are feeling bummed out about your camera, but if it's performing satisfactorily, I wouldn't worry about it. At least the lens that came with it will never depreciate too much which is one reason people always say to invest in glass, not bodies.

Tell that to the guys with Sony made for aps-c lenses on their present NEX cameras when they buy a FF sensor NEX.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,025Gear list
Like?
In reply to sportyaccordy, Sep 3, 2013

sportyaccordy wrote:

Theres no glory in being an early adopter.....

So true.  I intend to have that engraved in brass and hung on my wall as a reminder

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

coronawithlime
Senior MemberPosts: 2,025Gear list
Like?

marike6 wrote:

Ragnarock wrote:

coronawithlime wrote:

Sir Punk wrote:

You think you're disappointed, think of the guys with D3x's.

Or the Nikon D600. If there will be a D610 in the near future then the price will drop even more. Oh well as long as you are happy with your purchase.

The D3x and D600 haven't dropped in price even one dollar, so I'm not sure what either of you mean. In general, and as others have mentioned, FF DSLRs hold their value extremely well. When I sold my 5D Mk II / 24-105 f/4 L kit before buying the D800, I didn't lose a single dollar in the Ebay transaction.

When I sold my NEX-3N kit on Ebay after about 4 weeks of use, I lose over $100 in the sale because I had very little interest.

This was in reference to the used (eBay) price, which I suspect is similar to the OP's comment about used prices.  Mint used D3x looks like about $3500 on eBay on a good day.  I tried to sell one for that and didn't get a nibble.

-- hide signature --

www.nightstreets.com
One day long ago, a sorcerer and a warrior did battle, as such things were commonplace in that age. Sometimes the sorcerer won, and the sum value of human abilities was improved some trifling amount. Sometimes the warrior won, and again the human race improved by some insignificant amount, for a sorcerer who can't defeat one miserable warrior is a poor sorcerer indeed.

antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,108Gear list
Like?
Tell this to Nikon D600 customers with the D610 ahead ;-)

Sir Punk wrote:

(1) I understand your frustration.  I'm very much at the opposite end of the spectrum i.e. don't care about riding the wave, but I can understand your frustration.

(2) this being said, the fact that a new camera model comes out, a bit sooner than expected perhaps, and with marginally useful new features, does NOT make your camera suddenly unable to take good pictures.  So while there indeed might be a financial loss, IF you decide to buy the new model, well at least there is zero functional loss.
I bought a Nikon D7000 DSLR back in 2012, on this Nikon followed their usual 2 year cycle, the D7100 is out and it has more mp's, no AA filter, but for the rest it's really pretty much the same camera so if I bought it if would bring me NOTHING.  So I'm happy to stay with my D7000.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
ghengii
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
Re: Change your camera buying strategy
In reply to hyenadog, Sep 3, 2013

it has lost nothing unless you want to sell it

DWMurf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Re: Change your camera buying strategy
In reply to ghengii, Sep 3, 2013

Realistically who would want to buy used electronic gear for more than half the price of new, without the warranty, not knowing if it is a lemon, or has been dropped, and without the latest and greatest technology of new gear? Just my two cents worth.

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,554
Like?
Re: Tell this to Nikon D600 customers with the D610 ahead ;-)
In reply to antoineb, Sep 3, 2013

If you don't sell you haven't taken a "loss.

OTOH, I bought a D5100 within a week of it being released for $799 (full retail).  I just bought a refurb with 500 clicks on it for $385.  So add the two and my cost each is...well, not bad at all!

Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 2,085Gear list
Like?

I couldn't care less what the value of my 5R is. I'm not selling it any time soon and will probably never sell it. When I get a new camera, I'll keep the 5R or give it away.

That said, there are many people that regularly buy the latest, greatest model camera, just as they buy new cars, from what I read here. Apparently, many of those same people sell the old models. If, in fact, Sonys lose their value more quickly than other brands (which I doubt but do not know), that would not be a good thing for those people. Glad I'm not one of them.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 NEX5R
Diopter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,819
Like?
In reply to Sabud, Sep 3, 2013

Lubricating aperture blades in some older Nikon lenses cost more than the market value of the lens itself

hyenadog
Contributing MemberPosts: 724
Like?
In reply to Dan W, Sep 4, 2013

Dan W wrote:

I couldn't care less what the value of my 5R is. I'm not selling it any time soon and will probably never sell it. When I get a new camera, I'll keep the 5R or give it away.

That said, there are many people that regularly buy the latest, greatest model camera, just as they buy new cars, from what I read here. Apparently, many of those same people sell the old models. If, in fact, Sonys lose their value more quickly than other brands (which I doubt but do not know), that would not be a good thing for those people. Glad I'm not one of them.

look at lot of what you read on this forum from people who beat their chests about fungus ridden old lenses at one end and Zeiss Price at the other is just plain "minority crap".

The VAST MAJORITY of NEX's sold are 5/3's sold to families who want great DSLR like pictures without DEFINATLY the bulk and *WOULD* probably keep the camera for years .. the rest is just shrapnel in the overall scheme of things

* i use the word would as Sony's old management failure has been to provide fan boy "Zeiss Price" lenses and big bulky expensive dark zooms which is why they are in the last chance salon with the "NEX in a DSLR" ... problem is the lens range for the vast majority of its customers is crap (so thats excluding fan boys).

Ideally to cover family duties you would want "right priced" lenses to cover

1. general family and holiday carry - if you get a AF properly 16-50 Kit PZ thats perfect

2. portrait with  defocused background (and low light close up) - if the 35f1.8SEL was "right priced" (same as 50SEL rather than 2x) then this if a lot of your portraits were indoors or the 50SEL if a mixture of indoors/outdoors. - with OIS/AF

3. low light school/theatre stage shots & sports shots - ideally a "right priced" short range tele zoom (100-150 f4) (for point and shooters) or a couple of "right priced" primes -85mmSELf2 and say 120mmf3.5 with matched teleconverter option covering both

the really nice thing about primes in this range 50-150mm is that they are really easy to design well and cheap to make (compared to zooms, wide angel, long tele) as they are not subject to any of the nasty optical effects lower and higher focal length lenses are plus Sony already have a lens bank full of great prime optical designs - just shoehorning the OIS/AF in thats probably their issue

these primes would be relatively cheap, light, compact and with a telecon option perfect to take on holiday to cover a bit of safari, animal shots etc

but reality is that people buy the nex and all too often then realise how crap and uber expensive the lens choice is if you dont want a bulky dark full range zoom or wide angle lens .. and sadly unless Sony's management wise up P.D.Q. their right priced "NEXin a DSLR" will fail for lack of a decent right priced lens range covering the majority of its customers needs (and not just a few fanboys and their fisheye and wide angle landscape obsession)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads