Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,353Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony NEX-6 Benchmark Test?
In reply to justincarlson, 10 months ago

justincarlson wrote:

I was pretty close to the center, however the garage door is slightly caved in in the middle from wind damage. I'll try to center the targets better.

Should I do all three FL's again, or just one or two? Should I do two different apertures per FL as well?

It's really up to you, it's your time and effort, why the 5 crops? To see if all four corners have the same sharpness/look, which is why you need to be careful with the setup, a brick wall may work better.

Shooting different focal lengths and f-stops could expose issues with the lens that shooting at one setting may miss. Wide open and 2 stops down at both ends of the zoom  should be enough, also @ your most used FL if its a somewhere between.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
eeran
Forum MemberPosts: 79Gear list
Like?
In reply to boardsy, 10 months ago

How can I test my focusing of the 16-50 lens, if I cant get buy the app from sony playmemories?

Is there a way to install it otherwise?

eeran's gear list:eeran's gear list
NEX5R Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Apple Aperture
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,482Gear list
Like?

justincarlson wrote:

Here's a shot I took at a smaller aperture and ISO-100. Once again with this shot I was not happy with the sharpness, but maybe I'm being too critical.

The lettering on the side of the ship is clear and sharp. I am betting more so than the DPReview image display as the web view has been under criticism.  The lines are crisp and clear with good color and overall image clarity.  The shadow even has detail.

Your first waterfall shot is a re-shoot as there is no reason to use ISO 3200 and 1/4000 shutter. Drop the shutter to 1/125 and adjust the ISO to 100. That image is not bad, but could be much better and that is on you.

You could add PP and make this a sharper/brighter/darker/bluer/greener/whatever shot you want with the magic of software.

When lettering is sharp that occupies a fraction of the canvas that is a positive sign!

Your lens looks fine to me.

I often wonder how many 'bad copies' are returned where the only thing wrong is a bad user!

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to boardsy, 10 months ago

Here is my version of the "dollar test" at varying FL's. f/5.6 seemed to be the sharpest aperture, so I used that for this comparison. The lens may be slightly decentered since corner vignetting seemed to differ from left and right, at least on some of the apertures I tested. I guess the only concern I would have at this point is whether the overall sharpness of these images are acceptable for this lens and whether this is a normal amount of vignetting.

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
wfektar
Contributing MemberPosts: 689
Like?

I don't have this lens so I don't know if it's abnormal. The falloff does look pretty severe, although that's one of the easier things to fix in post. Resolution-wise it looks quite good, although 16mm is clearly not its strength. If you're not pixel-peeping, however, it looks fine even there. And this is a compact zoom -- something somewhere has to give.

It does seem a bit sharper on the right than on the left. That could mean decentering or maybe you just weren't square to the image. How did you square it up? (The classic method is with a small mirror on the target).

BTW, if you focus in the corners can you get sharper corners (at the expense of the center)? If so you have field curvature.

It seems you're discovering how thankless a task it is to do lens testing. So maybe I shouldn't add that lenses are designed for certain magnification ranges, and if you were to test at a different magnification you might get different results (eg, I have an OM 75-150 that's quite sharp at medium/medium-close distances and woefully soft at infinity.)

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,353Gear list
Like?

The centre looks fine, but the corners look quite bad, but this is a torture test, you could take some carefully focused shots of some landscape to explore what's happening, but there is no guarantee you will ever see definitive proof it's softer than normal, that's where shooting two or more lenses side by side will show you if its soft or misaligned, or whatever.

Re the vignetting, take some shots of the sky with no clouds, that should show it if its there, it's hard to tell if its vignetting or uneven illumination that is causing the fall off.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,775Gear list
Like?
In reply to wfektar, 10 months ago

wfektar wrote:

I don't have this lens so I don't know if it's abnormal. The falloff does look pretty severe, although that's one of the easier things to fix in post. Resolution-wise it looks quite good, although 16mm is clearly not its strength. If you're not pixel-peeping, however, it looks fine even there. And this is a compact zoom -- something somewhere has to give.

It does have a lot of vignetting, but I don't recall it being this bad.  I'm hoping this is just poor lighting from the tester?  I'd say go outside and photograph a brick wall if you want a good flat test (although, I do like the printed text to look at to help judge detail).

It does seem a bit sharper on the right than on the left. That could mean decentering or maybe you just weren't square to the image. How did you square it up? (The classic method is with a small mirror on the target).

BTW, if you focus in the corners can you get sharper corners (at the expense of the center)? If so you have field curvature.

I could be wrong, but I think this lens does have some field curvature, which makes the corners look soft sometimes, even at f8.

It seems you're discovering how thankless a task it is to do lens testing. So maybe I shouldn't add that lenses are designed for certain magnification ranges, and if you were to test at a different magnification you might get different results (eg, I have an OM 75-150 that's quite sharp at medium/medium-close distances and woefully soft at infinity.)

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
justincarlson
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryW, 10 months ago

Lighting was as even as I could get it. I placed a natural sunlight floor lamp behind the camera pointed at the targets which appeared to provide pretty complete light coverage of the whole area. I'm going to send the photos to Sony and see what they say.

justincarlson's gear list:justincarlson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS HDRsoft Photomatix Pro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads