Warranty for the 12-60/2.8-4.0?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions
Sierra Dave
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
Warranty for the 12-60/2.8-4.0?
Sep 1, 2013

So I've suffered another SWD motor failure in my 12-60.  I'm not quite ready to give up on the 12-60 for good as it's still far and away the best all-around option I've found, but it's been out of warranty since the beginning (I got it secondhand) and adding up what I've spent in repairs on that lens, I could have gotten a new one, even at the current MSRP.

From what I understand, I can get the extended Olympus warranty and apply it to any Olympus lens that's still in it's original warranty period, including refurbished ones (they have a 90 day warranty).  Time was when there were such refurbs all over eBay, but current searches have found precious little, and no 12-60s.

So does anybody have suggestion for how to get ahold of a 12-60, with an original factory warranty, for less than the current unreasonable price of $1000?

Alternatively, are there any legitimate 3rd party extended warranties out there?  Basically, some way to avoid the $200-300 charge every year or two resulting from a dead SWD motor or detached front-elemnt.

Or is it time to throw in the towel and start looking at other lenses.

Thanks,

\~Dave

Sierra Dave's gear list:Sierra Dave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 12,453Gear list
Like?
Re: Warranty for the 12-60/2.8-4.0?
In reply to Sierra Dave, Sep 1, 2013

Link to Canadian supplier on sale, special order, until Sept 5, $849.99 Cdn

http://donsphoto.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog%5bproduct_guids%5d%5b0%5d=2ed80c0e-4cda-4523-ae5c-e5287a12e920

Andrew

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,542Gear list
Like?

Sorry, I can't help with your specific questions except to say that it is too bad you've had these problems.

My 12-60 has been beaten to a pulp by me over the last 5 years - I've dropped it on concrete, dropped it in creeks, fallen down ravines with it hanging off my shoulder and bouncing on every rock along the way, had it fall out of my (accidentally unzipped) bag while running across a highway, etc.  I've managed to break two filters during these insults and also two hoods, but the lens itself just keeps working as though I am good to it.  I keep thinking I should send it in for service but I'm afraid the service will actually ruin its good reliability.

Just wanted you to know that unreliability is not a given character of this lens.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

sirharold
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

Check this website out. http://www.mackcam.com/

sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +15 more
Airmel
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sierra Dave, Sep 3, 2013

Simply sounds like bad luck to me.

My ZD 12-60mm is 4+ years old and going strong.

-- hide signature --

AirMel

Airmel's gear list:Airmel's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +8 more
Sierra Dave
Like?
In reply to Pikme, Sep 8, 2013

Pikme wrote:

Just wanted you to know that unreliability is not a given character of this lens.

Glad your lens is serving you well!  I expect there is wide-distribution of experiences with this lens, and perhaps mine are exceptional.  It's certainly a solid lens, and capable of excellent results.  That said, I do think the design of the front element fastener (3 plastic screws? really) and more significantly the SWD motor, do have some issues.  Thanks,

Dave

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Sierra Dave
Like?
In reply to sirharold, Sep 8, 2013

sirharold wrote:

Check this website out. http://www.mackcam.com/

Yes, I've heard of Mack in the past.  Have you had experience with them, particularly with respect to Olympus lenses (I imagine Canon and Nikon are standard enough, but I'm concerned about less common equipment, like Olympus)?

Dave

Sierra Dave
Like?
In reply to 19andrew47, Sep 8, 2013

19andrew47 wrote:

Link to Canadian supplier on sale, special order, until Sept 5, $849.99 Cdn

http://donsphoto.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog%5bproduct_guids%5d%5b0%5d=2ed80c0e-4cda-4523-ae5c-e5287a12e920

Thanks Andrews.  Definitely the best deal I've seen in a while on a new 12-60.  My recollection is that refurbs. went for $650-$700, which would be preferable, but I've still had no luck finding one.

Dave

Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sierra Dave, Sep 9, 2013

Yes, you can get the extended warranty for a refurbished lens.  I have purchased one and used it with no problems from the Olympus America repair center.  So you get one year and 90 days of warranty.

You really put your lenses through heck don't you?

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +17 more
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 788Gear list
Like?
In reply to Geo Wharton, Sep 10, 2013

Geo Wharton wrote:

Yes, you can get the extended warranty for a refurbished lens. I have purchased one and used it with no problems from the Olympus America repair center. So you get one year and 90 days of warranty.

Oops, 4 years and 90 days.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +17 more
Sierra Dave
Like?
In reply to Geo Wharton, Sep 15, 2013

Geo Wharton wrote:

Yes, you can get the extended warranty for a refurbished lens. I have purchased one and used it with no problems from the Olympus America repair center. So you get one year and 90 days of warranty.

Right.  I know I can get the extended warranty from Olympus.  What I can't seem to get is the refurbished lens.  My lens, if Olympus ever manages to repair it, will have a 90 day warranty, but unlike the original factory warranty or the warranty on refurbs, they don't allow you to extend that.

You really put your lenses through heck don't you?

Hardly.  <10k frames in the past 18 months.  I worked my cheap plastic m4/3 kit lens harder than that, and unlike the 12-60, it still works.

Searching the forum archives though, I do see a number of reports of SWD failures, although multiple failures with the same lens seem unusual.

Otto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sierra Dave, Sep 15, 2013

Sorry to hear you've had so many failures. I've had two of these lenses with no issues whatsoever. I had read those same threads with warnings of the SWD motors going bad and sold my first copy. Couldn't stand it any longer and bought another, again without issue.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Otto's gear list:Otto's gear list
Canon PowerShot A610 Canon PowerShot S400 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Arcsoft Panorama Maker +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads