9/1/2013 Weekly landscape show and tell

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
9/1/2013 Weekly landscape show and tell
Sep 1, 2013

The gist of the weekly topic is to share, learn and grow with help from like-minded shooters. BUT REMEMBER, you are amongst fellow photographers interested as much in how you got the shot and made the presentation as they are in the presentation itself. Be sure to provide a unique title.

Please provide the shooting information for each image in the message body where possible (, lens, FL, aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc.).

Cityscapes, abstract landscapes, B&W are all suitable subjects here. Old images are also fine and do not need to be this week's shot nor does the image need to be shot with Canon.
And one other thing. We are here to learn. So please if you post please respond to other's posts as well. What did we do right or how could an image be improved.

Looking forward to seeing this week's posts.

Andy

trulandphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
18-55mm STM sample
In reply to SeaScout851, Sep 1, 2013

I recently picked up a white box EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM as a lightweight carry around with my 60D. First time out I wanted to see how sharp the lens could be at it's widest as that's where I'll probably be using it the most.

This image is handheld, 18mm, f/8, 1/350 sec., ISO 200 and processed normally with DPP, a bit of contrast and sharpness added. The second photo is a 100% crop taken from the approximate center of the image.

I'm not disappointed in the quality of this $145 white box lens which weighs less than 1/4 as much as my 24-70 and less than half as much as my 17-40.

trulandphoto's gear list:trulandphoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 70D Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bberg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Re: 18-55mm STM sample
In reply to trulandphoto, Sep 1, 2013

Definitely not bad!  Although I'd say any lens stopped down to between f8-f11 should be pretty equivalent in terms of sharpness.  It's the color/contrast that seems to have the most difference at the various price points, that and sharpness wide open.  Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

Brandon
~Canon 5DIII and Sony RX100~
See my gallery of favorites here:
http://www.brandonbergphotography.com
View my latest Photostream on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_berg_photography/

SeaScout851
Like?
Evening clouds at the sailing club

The sailing club that hosts our Sea Scouts puts on a 4 week sailing camp for the kids every June. I was out there one evening and caught this lovely set of clouds catching the setting sun.

The small boats lined up on the dock are 8 feet long and look like sailing bath tubs but are wonderful training boats for the smaller kids.
Taken with 7d and 15-85.
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/200 sec
Aperture: 5.6
Focal Length: 27mm

And then another shot taken just a few days ago. This one with 50d and 28-135 hand held in a small boat.  Note that I normally shoot in Av mode.  But this evening I was in P mode due to the fact that a couple of the other leaders in the boat wanted to try taking a few shots as well.  Thus the reason for the high f stop.  But in this case it really worked well.  In this case, except for cropping, this shot is straight from the camera.

ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 11.0
Focal Length: 28mm

Andy

bberg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539
Like?
Good light this weekend...
In reply to bberg, Sep 1, 2013

Here are a few from Friday morning. We were lucky to have beautiful clouds and lighting, which doesn't happen too often in southern California. The first photo below was taken with a newly acquired 'used' 24mm TS-E version 1. It's a two shot panorama with the lens shifted about 8mm in each direction. The second photo was taken with the Rokinon 14mm f2.8, which is a gem of a lens for it's ~$350 price point. Both of these lens are manual focus, so live view + 10x magnification was my best friend. As always, I highly recommend clicking the 'view original' link for each photo, as dpreview downsampling makes the previews look very soft.

-- hide signature --

Brandon
View my latest Photostream on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_berg_photography/

Iain280407
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: Good light this weekend...

Simply stunning.

Cheers,

Iain

Iain280407's gear list:Iain280407's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Iain280407
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Just a field

Taken using the 18-55 kit lens on my 600d.  Image wholly unprocessed.

Cheers,

Iain

Iain280407's gear list:Iain280407's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
snoylekim
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
Re: 9/1/2013 Weekly landscape show and tell

Cityscape PJ shot .. Shelf cloud from a powerful thunderstorm entering Chicago fro the WNW on 8/30 .. 1/25, F5.6 , 39mm on a 24-70 2.8 Mk II /5D2 .. scampered inside about 30 seconds after shooting this !!. Taken around 1810ish CDT

SeaScout851
Like?
Re: 18-55mm STM sample
In reply to trulandphoto, Sep 1, 2013

The recent version of the 18-55 starting with the first IS version have had excellent optics.  The build quality is the cheap part.  To beat the optics of this lens you need to spend 4 through 6 times as much.  I used the 18-55 IS for around 25k shots before upgrading to the 15-85.

Andy

SeaScout851
Like?

#1 Love the light and composition.  Nice processing too.  But you have some distortions towards the ends.  I don't know any thing about tilt sift lenses.  But I wonder, can this be taken care of with the lens?  It can be taken care of in post.  I do note that you are new with this type of lens and it's going to be interesting to see your progression as you learn more about his type of photography.

#2 Even better composition in my eye.  Great shot into the sun.  Something I seem not to be able to pull off very well.

Andy

Peter too
Contributing MemberPosts: 765
Like?
Vale of the Whie Horse

After some years taking mainly action and wildlife photographs I thought I would try to experiment with landscape.

These were taken with a 5D lll plus Sigma 35 1.4 and a Canon 70-200 F4 IS. I experimented with a .6 graduated ND filter and a coral 2/3 filter with the Sigma lens.

kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,673Gear list
Like?

bberg wrote:

Here are a few from Friday morning. We were lucky to have beautiful clouds and lighting, which doesn't happen too often in southern California. The first photo below was taken with a newly acquired 'used' 24mm TS-E version 1. It's a two shot panorama with the lens shifted about 8mm in each direction. The second photo was taken with the Rokinon 14mm f2.8, which is a gem of a lens for it's ~$350 price point. Both of these lens are manual focus, so live view + 10x magnification was my best friend. As always, I highly recommend clicking the 'view original' link for each photo, as dpreview downsampling makes the previews look very soft.

-- hide signature --

Brandon

they are both ver nice.  the first one really has the HDR look, as the shadows have been pushed a little too far with some shifting of colors in the greens.  I would increase the contrast, and pull back on the blacks/shadow a little bit.  teh colors and clouds are of course stunning in both.  it is also a matter of taste, but this degree of diverging lines in trees and building might be worth consideration for vertical perspective correction.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +20 more
SeaScout851
Like?
Re: Just a field
In reply to Iain280407, Sep 1, 2013

Hey Iain,

Even a simple field can be interesting.  Yes processing can help.  But additionally getting something interesting in the foreground helps too.  In your case you had some interesting flowers or seeds in the field.  Getting lower to the these objects makes them become a significant part of the photo instead of just some stuff lost in the shot.  Try that next time and see what happens.  And keep posting too.

Andy

kevindar
Like?
Re: Vale of the Whie Horse
In reply to Peter too, Sep 1, 2013

Peter too wrote:

After some years taking mainly action and wildlife photographs I thought I would try to experiment with landscape.

These were taken with a 5D lll plus Sigma 35 1.4 and a Canon 70-200 F4 IS. I experimented with a .6 graduated ND filter and a coral 2/3 filter with the Sigma lens.

Nice use of leading lines and layer in these.  very natural looking. well done.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +20 more
SeaScout851
Like?
In reply to snoylekim, Sep 1, 2013

Truly impressive.  Nice capture.

Andy

ronwoodcraft
Contributing MemberPosts: 620
Like?
Utah Landscapes

I drive a truck for a living, and don't have a lot of time for photography.

Yesterday, I did have a little extra time while driving up Hwy 191, south of Moab Utah, and the sky was nice.

These were shot in raw, and blended 2 images in photomatix and finished in photoshop elements.

The only way I know of to get detail in the clouds.

kevindar
Like?

three images.

First one, is my commonly visited lighthouse. shot this with Nikon 14-24 on 5d3, f11 (or there abouts. its a two shot panorama. PS refused to put them together, so I did it myself. the exposures were very different so the transition is dirty. Not sure if its worth spending the time to clean it up, cause not sure How much I like it yet.

Like always, thanks for looking and any comments.

second one, is the same area a week or two ago, taken handheld by tamron 24-70 vc at 70

and finally, moon rise over peninsula.  shortly after the last shot was shot.  its two exposures, one for the moon, and one of the rest.  again tamron at 70, f11.  other than the exposure blending for the moon, no other alterations (no resizing of the moon)

SeaScout851
Like?
Re: Vale of the Whie Horse
In reply to Peter too, Sep 1, 2013

Leading lines can be a very important part of pulling the viewer into a photograph.  And you've clearly been having fun experimenting with these.  But I will say that I would have a hard time making interesting photographs in the area you've been working.  Experiment with placing the camera lower and with placing it higher to see what differences it makes.  And try and keep the horizon out of the middle of the frame.  Several years ago there was an unbelievable shot posted here of some logs on a beach.  The guy was known for posting excellent work.  But in the case of the logs he had taken shots from around 50 different angles finding one that really worked.  And with each shot and angle he learned even more.  One more thing.  Experiment with different crops of images.  It is truly amazing how this can change an image.

#1 A nice field.  But for me it's the clouds that make it interesting.

#2 A nice shot.  I would be tempted to crop at a 16x9 ratio removing the bush at the bottom as it does not add to the shot.

#3 Nice colors but for me not as interesting as the first two.  (I have lots of shots that are not as interesting as.)

#4  A pretty area.

#5 Looks like a nice area for an afternoon walk.

Looking forward to seeing more next week.

Andy

SeaScout851
Like?
Re: Utah Landscapes
In reply to ronwoodcraft, Sep 1, 2013

Glad you managed to get some time to photograph with nice light in some wonderful areas.

#1 Nice framing and the fence post really helps with giving depth to this shot.  And your processing especially of the clouds is first class.

#2 Nice clouds and a beautiful field.  I would be temped to lighten the field just a bit.

#3 & #6 Nice framing and processing of #3 but it's #6 that really stands out.  Wow!!! For me the tree in #6 adds more interest plus the light seems better too. For me #6 is the best of the series.

#4 & #5 Cool rock structure.  Nice use of the rules of thirds too.  For me #4 has better color and contrast while the framing of #5 MIGHT be a bit better.  Hard call there.

#7 & #8 Both are well done.  Especially your processing of the clouds again.  A hard call for which I find to be best.  But I'm going to say #8 although I do wish you had gotten a bit more of the trees to help add depth.

Looking forward to seeing more from you in the coming weeks.

Andy

SeaScout851
Like?
In reply to kevindar, Sep 1, 2013

Hey Kevindar,

#1 Nice framing and the light and colors are wonderful.  But you do have others from the area that would not require lots of work to fix.  So you just might have to visit again.

#2 Good framing and colors.  Especially for hand held.

#3 Nice capture and processing.  Might be interesting to try this again with a longer lens so as to make the moon larger.

Andy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads