End of Summer Festival at Kokkola / Finland

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Photos
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 800Gear list
Like?
End of Summer Festival at Kokkola / Finland
Sep 1, 2013

Hi All,

Me and XZ-1 have walked around. It is her last land based summer. Because now I got E-PM1 (body only). And ordered for a sigma 30mm F 2.8 (hmmm... well XZ-1 was way brighter but lets see if the sensor size helps!). Looking forward to use them soon. But well, be with me and keep my secret. My wife believes "Ben you have a one cam and thats it ! Its still works stop dreaming!!" Well she has no idea so please be with me nd keep my this little secret with me till I find a good moment to tell her

"Honey... i got this..."

Enought for my life story anyway. Here are some longershutter night fotos and Fireworks. I guess I will own a fisheye samyang 7,5 mm lens at somepoint for E-pm1 coz 28 mm is not enought wide I think. (Especially, when I have stocked in a small square to watch this fireworks... you´ll see)

Here you are.

C&C welcomes, feel free as always.

Ben

It used to give me 6 armed stars, when it focused... But nowadays it also gives me some fujifilm x10 kinda result... hmmm maybe my cam getting tired.

So that´s what `am talkin `about !

Ghosts... perhaps !

People, who lives on the sea shore put candles their garden as much they can... At it looks amazing. Thats how folks says bye to summer in Kokkola.

A Fierworks & Bavaria Motor Works joint venture.

Thats why I start to thinkn "I need a fish eye" there are cases, that I just cant get the image as I see (in terms of crop)

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
PON307G
Regular MemberPosts: 453Gear list
Like?
Re: End of Summer Festival at Kokkola / Finland
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 1, 2013

Ben,

Once again very nice images, I always enjoy seeing all of the festivals that you have in Finland. How did you steady your camera for the long exposures, did you use a tripod?

Good luck with your new camera, and explaining to your wife where it came from:-D  Before you disappear to a different forum, be sure to post a few of your new camera images here so that we can see how you are doing. Maybe a few side-by-side with your old XZ-1?

Regards,

Larry C.

PON307G's gear list:PON307G's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aaron Sur
Contributing MemberPosts: 937
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 2, 2013

Hi Ben,

Just tell her Its Global warming and Santa  came early!

nice fireworks pics , so any reason you stopped down to F8?

must be killing you waiting for that lens and telling the wife!

Aaron

Ben O Connor
Like?
In reply to Aaron Sur, Sep 2, 2013

Aaron Sur wrote:

Hi Ben,

Just tell her Its Global warming and Santa came early!

In this case Santa would "I don´t know him !!" and save himself

nice fireworks pics , so any reason you stopped down to F8?

Well The reason behind F8 was, I checked Scene mode, and fireworks option... Then I apply these to Manual mode. Because it takes only vivid fotos at that mode, and I can´t set shutter speed (which was 1 seconds). And color tone was normal. And white balance settings were also different (cant remeber now, but on scene mode its sun shine)

Actually I set a setting on my remote control , which was suppose to take a 1 shot in every 3 second with 2 sec. shutter speed. That I could make a small timelapse video...

BUT my 8GB card (which is class 4) is very slow to write image. I also have a class 10 16gb HD video card, (which I suppose to have but was full that night) but....

Speed is everything. and actually on fireworks (together with sports for sure) And place, and lens angle... and card speed... and ...

So these are about fireworks photography

I wish to arrange something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4BTm161oxI

Regards to all.

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Nokia Lumia 1520 +2 more
Ben O Connor
Like?
In reply to PON307G, Sep 2, 2013

PON307G wrote:

Ben,

Once again very nice images, I always enjoy seeing all of the festivals that you have in Finland. How did you steady your camera for the long exposures, did you use a tripod?

Thanks for warm comments Larry. Yes it was tripop and shutter remote used pics. Previously I tried some longer shutter fotos without remote by using 2 sec shutter delay on cam, but it was not come out well... Maybe 12 sec would be more stabile. But shutter remote definately gives second to none stability. And Thankfully its also competible with my new E-PM1 and all other PEN´s and OMD´s

Good luck with your new camera, and explaining to your wife where it came from

Oh thank you mate She is already sniffing the air I guess.. She is commentinig a lot like "Oh God, stop these camera reviews.... you won´t buy a new cam, will you!" Well in worst case, I let you guys to explain the situation in the forum for her and for all men who has smilar issues. Olympus should send a letter to all customer a letter starts with;

"Our Customer´s Dear Wife..."

Enought of humor I guess sorry for the lady members of the forum.

Before you disappear to a different forum, be sure to post a few of your new camera images here so that we can see how you are doing. Maybe a few side-by-side with your old XZ-1?'

Surely, And my Flickr and DPGallery is always at your services.

Thanks to have a look,

Cheers.

Pikme
Senior MemberPosts: 1,523
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 3, 2013

Ben O Connor wrote:

It used to give me 6 armed stars, when it focused... But nowadays it also gives me some fujifilm x10 kinda result... hmmm maybe my cam getting tired.

Check the aperture on the 6 armed stars photos - I bet you were stopped down.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Lucy
Forum ProPosts: 30,847
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Sep 3, 2013

I really like your fireworks shots.....well done!

-- hide signature --

Lucy
Oly cams and a Canon, too.
FCAS Member #98, Oly Division
'Photography is the art of seeing what others do not.'
http://www.pbase.com/image/56509403/small.jpg

Ben O Connor
Like?
In reply to Pikme, Sep 4, 2013

Pikme wrote:

Ben O Connor wrote:

Check the aperture on the 6 armed stars photos - I bet you were stopped down.

-- hide signature --

Roberto M.

Actually it was on the wide end, at shutter mode (10 sec).. ony Exposure Comp was +0,3 EV
with stars.

Hard to believe its coz of just 0,2 stop apetture (f 1,8 on dots, f 2.0 stars) but can be also.. don´t know really.

Ben

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads