So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,169Gear list
Like?
So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
Sep 1, 2013

Are we going to end up with one big scrum of M4/3s and 4/3s, seeing as it's heading towards "one beautiful system"?

Perhaps: Oly Bodies, Panasonic Bodies and 4/3s & M4/3s lenses?

Thoughts, ideas, random people calling me an idiot?

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280Gear list
Like?
Re: So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 1, 2013

Well, unless all the E-series DSLRs vanish as soon the EM-1 is released, then why change the forum at all. After all, The Kodak and Fuji DSLR forums continue to this day. In addition, I'd be more than happy to see EM-1 discussion welcomed if indeed that camera and its successors represent the future for owners of E-system lenses, lest this forum become as moribund as the Kodak DSLR forum.

Mario

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aja2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,657
Like?
No need to sort what's working now.
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 1, 2013

I suspect that EM1 owners will post in either forum they feel comfortable - either micro 4/3 or Oly SLR. It's not like E-System cameras will magically disappear when the new EM1 appears.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998Gear list
Like?
Re: So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 1, 2013

Olympus Pro Body Forum (E-x series and Pro OMD series) similar to Nikon's Pro DX SLR vs Nikons DX SLR forum. Maybe a PEN forum would work for the E-P series bodies, I think Panasonic should have it's own forum for their cameras and maybe a combined m43 lens forum, the one thing we'll all share in common?

Just a thought

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

 Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,292Gear list
Like?
Change this forum to the "standard FT lens" forum /nt
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 1, 2013

no text

 boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,280Gear list
Like?
Re: So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
In reply to Darrell500, Sep 1, 2013

Darrell500 wrote:

Olympus Pro Body Forum (E-x series and Pro OMD series)

That would just start a turf war. I as an E-xxx a "pro" body, or do you need an E-x to qualify. Leave the name as is and let the EM-1 in. If several pundits are right, the traditional moving mirror DSLRs days are numbered in any case.

Mario

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?
Re: So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 1, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Are we going to end up with one big scrum of M4/3s and 4/3s, seeing as it's heading towards "one beautiful system"?

Perhaps: Oly Bodies, Panasonic Bodies and 4/3s & M4/3s lenses?

Thoughts, ideas, random people calling me an idiot?

There isnt any need to change the current forum.

Its not really difficult to "sort it out".

The EM1 is an M4/3 camera..

It requires an adapter for 4/3 lenses (just like all the other M4/3 cameras).

The EM1 is NOT a DSLR (regardless of its shape).

M4/3 cameras have their own forum.

4/3 DSLRs have their own forum

I dont see any "sorting out" needed.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
..
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
..
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
..
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,901Gear list
Like?
Agree! n/t
In reply to herebefore, Sep 1, 2013
No text.
 Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree! n/t
In reply to Messier Object, Sep 1, 2013

Messier Object wrote:

hey I saw what you did there, to which I agree, or would have if it was still here!

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

 Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Re: So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 1, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Are we going to end up with one big scrum of M4/3s and 4/3s, seeing as it's heading towards "one beautiful system"?

Perhaps: Oly Bodies, Panasonic Bodies and 4/3s & M4/3s lenses?

Thoughts, ideas, random people calling me an idiot?

I don't know if it would cause more angst but maybe

Olympus interchangeable lens camera forum.

Panasonic interchangeable lens camera forum.

Leave the m4/3 forum for the interchange.

They did it with Fuji / Kodak which used Nikon mount Lenses.

Maybe it will sort out some of the brand wars within a format. Or a mount  war within a brand.

The all the so called seer's are correct the mirror less will be a moot point in the future.

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

 CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree! n/t
In reply to Rriley, Sep 1, 2013

Rriley wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

hey I saw what you did there, to which I agree, or would have if it was still here!

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Now I want to know what he wrote.

 Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?
Mjankor wrote:
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 1, 2013

Mjankor wrote:

Now I want to know what he wrote.

I read it, liked it, thought it was cute/concise/and to the point... but I dont remember the words.... It probably would have made you smile.

I have no idea why it is gone...

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
..
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
..
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
..
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?
Re: So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
In reply to CollBaxter, Sep 1, 2013

CollBaxter wrote:

I don't know if it would cause more angst but maybe

Olympus interchangeable lens camera forum.

Panasonic interchangeable lens camera forum.

Leave the m4/3 forum for the interchange.

They did it with Fuji / Kodak which used Nikon mount Lenses.

Maybe it will sort out some of the brand wars within a format. Or a mount war within a brand.

The all the so called seer's are correct the mirror less will be a moot point in the future.

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

There are far too many people who just dont understand any need whatever for an OVF, and every time one of us mentions an OVF we would get tromped on by the maniacs who see the ovf as an implement of the devil, and sinful in every way.

You know the type... "My way or the Highway".

best to keep the forums the way they are..

I post here, without mentioning m4/3 much, and I post there, without mentioning my DSLRs much.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
..
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
..
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
..
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CollBaxter
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Olympus retreat.
In reply to herebefore, Sep 1, 2013

herebefore wrote:

CollBaxter wrote:

I don't know if it would cause more angst but maybe

Olympus interchangeable lens camera forum.

Panasonic interchangeable lens camera forum.

Leave the m4/3 forum for the interchange.

They did it with Fuji / Kodak which used Nikon mount Lenses.

Maybe it will sort out some of the brand wars within a format. Or a mount war within a brand.

The all the so called seer's are correct the mirror less will be a moot point in the future.

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

There are far too many people who just dont understand any need whatever for an OVF, and every time one of us mentions an OVF we would get tromped on by the maniacs who see the ovf as an implement of the devil, and sinful in every way.

You know the type... "My way or the Highway".

Try reading some of the posts here lately and you will see its actually the the reverse. EVF , EVF , EVF , EVF , EVF. ......... " You bad boy you , why you not want EVF , I am going to tell your mother and she going to whack you good . "

Sorry I cant help it.

best to keep the forums the way they are..

I post here, without mentioning m4/3 much, and I post there, without mentioning my DSLRs much.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
..
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
..
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
..
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Ovf is one thing and EVF is another.

The advent of M4/3 split the Olympus users down the middle . A lot became m4/3 fan boys and a lot of us stayed 4/3 fan boys. Its like shooting 2 different systems from 2 different vendors . Then add Panasonic into the fold and things really hot up . If the 'one beautiful system ' is to become a reality is it going to become the Panasonic/Olympus 'beautiful system." system or a general mirror less system forum like it seems to be now.

As to OVF vs EVF well DSLR'S are all Dodo Birds or have you not been reading the news.

The only good thing is the equivalence and small sensor stuff takes place on 1041 and not here any more. Actually maybe it's not a bad idea to leave them as they are . If you are looking for action and don't mind being bombarded by every tom Dick and Harry go thee . Or come back here and discuss things reasonably in a more laid back environment. Lets call it a Olympus retreat.

Hmmm yep Keep it like it is.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

 CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,998Gear list
Like?
Re: So, how are they going to sort out the forums now?
In reply to mariomirabile, Sep 1, 2013

mariomirabile wrote:

Darrell500 wrote:

Olympus Pro Body Forum (E-x series and Pro OMD series)

That would just start a turf war. I as an E-xxx a "pro" body, or do you need an E-x to qualify. Leave the name as is and let the EM-1 in. If several pundits are right, the traditional moving mirror DSLRs days are numbered in any case.

Mario

Hi Mario that was just one idea but if we mix in the EM-1 why keep out the other OMD's? I guess we can keep it as it is and just watch this forum dye on the vine like the Kodak or mix all ILC's together or separate out the entry level bodies from the pro bodies as they do in the Nikon forum it works fine there.

Lastly I should add that frankly I don't really give a damn what they do with these forums, while I enjoy looking at the wonderful photos and also the good photography advice I get, I won't lose any sleep over what DPR decides to name these forums.

Here's to hoping the EM-1 is everything to everyone because it sure looks like thats what Olympus tried to do.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

 Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herebefore
Senior MemberPosts: 3,296
Like?
Re: Olympus retreat.
In reply to CollBaxter, Sep 1, 2013

CollBaxter wrote:

herebefore wrote:

CollBaxter wrote:

I don't know if it would cause more angst but maybe

Olympus interchangeable lens camera forum.

Panasonic interchangeable lens camera forum.

Leave the m4/3 forum for the interchange.

They did it with Fuji / Kodak which used Nikon mount Lenses.

Maybe it will sort out some of the brand wars within a format. Or a mount war within a brand.

The all the so called seer's are correct the mirror less will be a moot point in the future.

Collin

(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

There are far too many people who just dont understand any need whatever for an OVF, and every time one of us mentions an OVF we would get tromped on by the maniacs who see the ovf as an implement of the devil, and sinful in every way.

You know the type... "My way or the Highway".

Try reading some of the posts here lately and you will see its actually the the reverse. EVF , EVF , EVF , EVF , EVF. ......... " You bad boy you , why you not want EVF , I am going to tell your mother and she going to whack you good . "

Sorry I cant help it.

best to keep the forums the way they are..

I post here, without mentioning m4/3 much, and I post there, without mentioning my DSLRs much.

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
..
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
..
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
..
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Ovf is one thing and EVF is another.

The advent of M4/3 split the Olympus users down the middle . A lot became m4/3 fan boys and a lot of us stayed 4/3 fan boys. Its like shooting 2 different systems from 2 different vendors . Then add Panasonic into the fold and things really hot up . If the 'one beautiful system ' is to become a reality is it going to become the Panasonic/Olympus 'beautiful system." system or a general mirror less system forum like it seems to be now.

As to OVF vs EVF well DSLR'S are all Dodo Birds or have you not been reading the news.

The only good thing is the equivalence and small sensor stuff takes place on 1041 and not here any more. Actually maybe it's not a bad idea to leave them as they are . If you are looking for action and don't mind being bombarded by every tom Dick and Harry go thee . Or come back here and discuss things reasonably in a more laid back environment. Lets call it a Olympus retreat.

Hmmm yep Keep it like it is.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=21652&username=collin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

Yep!

I like it here.. Not so much "head banging" and "gnashing of teeth" over Panny this and Oly that...

-- hide signature --

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Connecticut
Be Careful, sleep can be a symptom of caffeine deprivation
..
I figured out why I cant lose weight! The only exercise Im good at is CHEWING
..
Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does
..
In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.
Oscar Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bofo777
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
Olympus SLR Talk
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 2, 2013

Welcome to the Olympus SLR Talk, this is the place to discuss Olympus E series SLR cameras and lenses...Micro Four Thirds models (with exception of  model EM-1) should be discussed on the Micro Four Thirds Forum......What do you think....John

 bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
minniev
Senior MemberPosts: 1,478
Like?
Re: Olympus SLR Talk
In reply to bofo777, Sep 2, 2013

I think we should use any explanation/reasoning that might work to keep this forum intact, with its current name or some new hybridized name. I dabble in the M43 forum a bit and though there are some nice people in the group, it is like trying to drive on the freeway in LA over there. Things move too fast, there's too many of them, there is too much going on - a veritable madhouse. This forum is more like a leisurely stroll through a peaceful village. I shoot mainly with my OMD now, with about half m43 lenses and half 43 lenses. I will probably never part with my E30. What I appreciate here is the interest in what the gear will DO, rather than just gear itself. There are photo threads on this forum!! People post real photographs in them, look at other peoples' photos and comment!! There is civil interchange!! I would sure hate to see this forum merge with the freeway, I probably would just give it up.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,387Gear list
Like?
The 150,000 Rule of Thumb
In reply to Martin.au, Sep 2, 2013

Suggests nothing will change in a hurry.

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"
E500, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 70-300mm, E620, 14-42mm, 40-150mm.

 OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Messier Object
Senior MemberPosts: 2,901Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree! n/t
In reply to Rriley, Sep 2, 2013

Rriley wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

hey I saw what you did there, to which I agree, or would have if it was still here!

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

 Messier Object's gear list:Messier Object's gear list
Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads