Any details about coming Pentax announcements?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Greyser
Senior MemberPosts: 3,695Gear list
Like?
Any details about coming Pentax announcements?
11 months ago

What exactly are we waiting for:

• new APS-C flagship
  • 1.4x SDM capable TC
  • new mirror-less
  • anything else?

Anyone?

Greyser's gear list:Greyser's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3
Mark Ransom
Senior MemberPosts: 2,956
Like?
Re: Any details about coming Pentax announcements?
In reply to Greyser, 11 months ago

One of the benefits of being a really small player is that there's less opportunity for leaks.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,290
Like?

5 days!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Greyser
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 11 months ago

MightyMike wrote:

5 days!

I know and hope so...

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,198Gear list
Like?

What do they call this time, silly season as someone informed me.  

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
robbo d
Contributing MemberPosts: 820Gear list
Like?
In reply to ASR45, 11 months ago

The game has changed a bit, Ricoh seem very tight lipped, don't expect, that if we are going to see anything, the leaks won't be for a couple of days yet..........

robbo d's gear list:robbo d's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +7 more
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to robbo d, 11 months ago

robbo d wrote:

The game has changed a bit, Ricoh seem very tight lipped, don't expect, that if we are going to see anything, the leaks won't be for a couple of days yet..........

Yes it will be here when its here, and not until they are ready.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
fotobert
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
I hope something really BIG will come...

Otherwise Pentax is running out of fans in Germany. Most big eletronic markets do no longer sell pentax. In some german forums, you can buy a K5 for 400€ with a shutter count <7000 (330 € with 20k actuations), and even some basic parts (like the D-Li90 battery) are hard to get.

The re-announment of Limiteds (more red, less green, price +10%) is not just what I was waiting for. A redesign of the 15 and 21mm (half a stop plus, a bit sharper, less disortion) would have been something to rave about. Or a set of WR Limiteds with a reliable SDM or DC AF.

As I will (would like to) stay with Pentax, I am looking forward to see something BIG next week.

Albert

fotobert's gear list:fotobert's gear list
Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +10 more
DaveJC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747Gear list
Like?
Re: I hope something really BIG will come...
In reply to fotobert, 11 months ago

Pentax is my Dslr. Since I may never buy another after the next release, it will do me for a long good time. I also have all the lenses I will ever need, Hopefully.   I just was getting into birding and the cost of a decent setup in either C or N is astronomical. I just bought an F*300mm f4.5 and an A*600mm f5.6 for less than the body I would need let alone the lenses. I have matched the output for the last year or two of my C and N friends with a K-5 and MF Tamron Adaptall 400mm f4. Even did birds in flight. For the new body, I would hope for faster operation, better AFC and less high ISO noise, APC or FF does not matter. There are benefits to both. Only, Pentax do release something....

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

DaveJC's gear list:DaveJC's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1
johnami
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaveJC, 11 months ago

You will all know soon enough..........................................:)

johnami's gear list:johnami's gear list
Pentax K-3
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
In reply to DaveJC, 11 months ago

DaveJC wrote:

Pentax is my Dslr. Since I may never buy another after the next release, it will do me for a long good time. I also have all the lenses I will ever need, Hopefully. I just was getting into birding and the cost of a decent setup in either C or N is astronomical. I just bought an F*300mm f4.5 and an A*600mm f5.6 for less than the body I would need let alone the lenses. I have matched the output for the last year or two of my C and N friends with a K-5 and MF Tamron Adaptall 400mm f4. Even did birds in flight. For the new body, I would hope for faster operation, better AFC and less high ISO noise, APC or FF does not matter. There are benefits to both. Only, Pentax do release something....

-- hide signature --

DaveJC

I used to think the same way. But you get what you pay for. My first Canon lenses were bought off of e-bay and sold for more than I paid for them in one year. I personally do not have a problem spending 10K on glass if I know I am not going to loose on it. I also have the Pentax in birding lenses and bodys. Again you get what you pay for !!!.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,125Gear list
Like?

Greyser wrote:

• new APS-C flagship
  • 1.4x SDM capable TC
  • new mirror-less
  • anything else?

Anyone?

Asahi Man is our most reliable source. A few months back, he tipped the flagship DSLR, which he said was APSC, above the K5 series and "something really big".  I can't find his post now, but the way he wrote it was a bit cryptic - it wasn't clear from the language in his post whether the something big was a technical development/feature of the forthcoming DSLR, or whether it was a different product.

Some people have been arguing that an update to the 645D is due.  That would be "big".  They may be right in a purely technical sense, but the 645D is a low volume seller...... I don't know whether a medium format upgrade is where Pentax/Ricoh would be allocating its priorities right now.  Unless they're going to increase the sensor mpx to keep it viable by distinguishing it from the D800 and the coming Canon high res model.

The mirror-less question is a big one - there are no tips from anyone.  The K01 is out of production.  The GR is announced and available.  The GXR seems to have been discontinued.  And there's the Q.  Maybe we'll see their next foray into the APSC mirror-less world?  (Or dare I say it, FF?  Someone needs to compete with Sony!)

Asahi Man confirmed some time ago that the teleconverter was in production......

And there are a few yet to be announced lenses on the road-map for 2013.......

I guess we'll be wiser in a week.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Greyser
Like?
Re: Asahi Man
In reply to Rod McD, 11 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Greyser wrote:

• new APS-C flagship
  • 1.4x SDM capable TC
  • new mirror-less
  • anything else?

Anyone?

Asahi Man is our most reliable source. A few months back, he tipped the flagship DSLR, which he said was APSC, above the K5 series and "something really big". I can't find his post now, but the way he wrote it was a bit cryptic - it wasn't clear from the language in his post whether the something big was a technical development/feature of the forthcoming DSLR, or whether it was a different product.

Some people have been arguing that an update to the 645D is due. That would be "big". They may be right in a purely technical sense, but the 645D is a low volume seller...... I don't know whether a medium format upgrade is where Pentax/Ricoh would be allocating its priorities right now. Unless they're going to increase the sensor mpx to keep it viable by distinguishing it from the D800 and the coming Canon high res model.

The mirror-less question is a big one - there are no tips from anyone. The K01 is out of production. The GR is announced and available. The GXR seems to have been discontinued. And there's the Q. Maybe we'll see their next foray into the APSC mirror-less world? (Or dare I say it, FF? Someone needs to compete with Sony!)

Asahi Man confirmed some time ago that the teleconverter was in production......

Cheers, Rod

Thank you, Rod. That's exactly what I think .

Would you please, Asahi Man, if you can?

However, you may be right about 645D upgrade. And the Big means just big size of it not a magnitude of announcement.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,125Gear list
Like?

Hi there Greyser,

See post of 1 hour ago by Asahi Man in the thread titled "Any New Bodies Coming?"  Maybe you'll find it clear, but as a reply to others' posts, it's a bit too cryptic for me.  I guess it's still a case of being patient until Thursday.........

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Greyser
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, 11 months ago

Rod McD wrote:

Hi there Greyser,

See post of 1 hour ago by Asahi Man in the thread titled "Any New Bodies Coming?" Maybe you'll find it clear, but as a reply to others' posts, it's a bit too cryptic for me. I guess it's still a case of being patient until Thursday.........

Cheers, Rod

Thank you, Rod. At least press conference is predetermined 

paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,728Gear list
Like?

Rod McD wrote:

Greyser wrote:

• new APS-C flagship
  • 1.4x SDM capable TC
  • new mirror-less
  • anything else?

Anyone?

Asahi Man is our most reliable source. A few months back, he tipped the flagship DSLR, which he said was APSC, above the K5 series and "something really big". I can't find his post now, but the way he wrote it was a bit cryptic - it wasn't clear from the language in his post whether the something big was a technical development/feature of the forthcoming DSLR, or whether it was a different product.

Some people have been arguing that an update to the 645D is due. That would be "big". They may be right in a purely technical sense, but the 645D is a low volume seller...... I don't know whether a medium format upgrade is where Pentax/Ricoh would be allocating its priorities right now. Unless they're going to increase the sensor mpx to keep it viable by distinguishing it from the D800 and the coming Canon high res model.

The mirror-less question is a big one - there are no tips from anyone. The K01 is out of production. The GR is announced and available. The GXR seems to have been discontinued. And there's the Q. Maybe we'll see their next foray into the APSC mirror-less world? (Or dare I say it, FF? Someone needs to compete with Sony!)

Cheers, Rod

However, you may be right about 645D upgrade. And the Big means just big size of it not a magnitude of announcement.

As I recall Asahi Man's post, he did hint that by "big" he meant the size of a 645D.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
MightyMike
Like?
In reply to paulkienitz, 11 months ago

paulkienitz wrote:

As I recall Asahi Man's post, he did hint that by "big" he meant the size of a 645D.

I honestly don't expect a 645D replacement until next year, perhaps the 120-380 lens is coming?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 324
Like?

MightyMike wrote:

I honestly don't expect a 645D replacement until next year, perhaps the 120-380 lens is coming?

Well, I would only buy a 120-380 lens if it was a prime. 

Greyser
Like?

MightyMike wrote:

...perhaps the 120-380 lens is coming?

It is shown as DA only. It doesn't excite me much if we get slow big brother for DA 55-300. However,

120-380/5.0 or even classic 120-400/5.6 would be OK.

MightyMike
Like?

Greyser wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

...perhaps the 120-380 lens is coming?

It is shown as DA only. It doesn't excite me much if we get slow big brother for DA 55-300. However,

120-380/5.0 or even classic 120-400/5.6 would be OK.

If it had to be 120-380, F5.0 would give you an 82mm thread so i doubt that, lets assume F5.6 at the long end and I'll bet its F4.0 at the short end.

120-380mm F4-5.6 is likely what we might see, however there is no reason for it not to be 100-400mm F4-5.6 IMO

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads