G15 vs G16

Started Sep 1, 2013 | Discussions
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
G15 vs G16
Sep 1, 2013

I am new to G series and was considering waiting for the G16, but in reviewing the specs I don't see that many changes from the G15.  The one significant one is the new engine.  Am I missing anything else?

Thanks in advance

LeoBricker
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: G15 vs G16
In reply to dezignman, Sep 1, 2013

You've got around 40% faster autofocus, up to 12fps burst vs 2fps and internal wifi plus a few smaller things I think. I just bought a G15. I don't do sports where the 12fps would be a big deal. The AF is decent on the 15 too. I don't need the wifi. I'd like to have had the 16 but didn't want to wait a few more weeks and pay more money. Good luck with your decision.

LeoBricker's gear list:LeoBricker's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to LeoBricker, Sep 1, 2013

LeoBricker wrote:

You've got around 40% faster autofocus, up to 12fps burst vs 2fps

No, this is wrong.  The G15 has a 10 fps full resolution burst for 1 second while the G16 has a 9 fps burst for 500 photos. But yes the G15 does have about a 50% faster autofocus and 50% less shutter lag.

and internal wifi plus a few smaller things I think. I just bought a G15. I don't do sports where the 12fps would be a big deal.

Kinda of a moot point because the 12 fps is for something like 1 or 2 seconds while the G15 does 10 fps for 1 second.

The AF is decent on the 15 too. I don't need the wifi. I'd like to have had the 16 but didn't want to wait a few more weeks and pay more money. Good luck with your decision.

digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 814
Like?

I don't feel many will find any real world difference in the focus speed or speed in taking pictures, using the new Canon G16 over the old Canon G15. But if you wany WiFi and don't ming paying the extra $100 price over the price of a G15, by all means get a G16.

Danel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,904Gear list
Like?

dezignman wrote:

I am new to G series and was considering waiting for the G16, but in reviewing the specs I don't see that many changes from the G15. The one significant one is the new engine. Am I missing anything else?

Thanks in advance

To me, this is a very marginal "upgrade".  I have no interest in the WiFi feature.  The new Digic 6 processor may result in 40% faster focus, marginally better high ISO, and a faster frame rate, but in usage most people will barely notice a difference.  Let me give you an example: Let's say the G15 will auto focus in a certain situation in .8 seconds and the G15 will auto focus in .5 seconds, either will be fast enough most of the time.  Only in low light without the auto focus assist beam activated will you likely notice much of a difference.  Neither camera is really a good choice for sports or action photography so the higher frame rate and focus speed difference won't help you much there.  Really, the G16 is only a lot better for those folks who feel that WiFi is a very important, must have feature.  I would guess there aren't many G15 owners who will buy the G16.  If you are a first time G series buyer, or you are upgrading from an older G series camera then the choice becomes more difficult.  Having the latest greatest means you might get more in a sale or trade in a couple of years.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,678Gear list
Like?

dezignman wrote:

I am new to G series and was considering waiting for the G16, but in reviewing the specs I don't see that many changes from the G15.  The one significant one is the new engine.  Am I missing anything else?

Thanks in advance

That G16 adds two new things that improve high ISO performance:  1) as you have noticed is a new faster processor for improved AF speed and higher performance algorithms of noise reduction at high ISO.  2)  A new BSI CMOS sensor with increased active pixel area for lower high ISO noise.  It is the same Megapixel size as the previous sensor, but this new version is BSI cmos.
http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_G16/index.aspx#p-specification1  (click on the specification and then sensor line.)

Canon claims these things give 40% faster AF  (0.10 seconds versus 0.17 secs for the G15)  as well as 30% more retained fine detail at high ISO.

It also adds some goodies like WiFi.  Looks like a worthy upgrade to me... and for me. 

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,363Gear list
Like?
For most the upgrade will not be noticeable.

it is p to the user but if you got a G15, the upgrade will be slight.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4
dezignman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,591
Like?
Thanks for...
In reply to dezignman, Sep 2, 2013

...all the info.  I'm leaning toward the G15 as I don't have to have wifi, but I'm tempted to hear from users (when the camera is out) regarding AF speed and ISO improvements.

Thanks to all!

Devvy
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
In reply to dezignman, Sep 2, 2013

And there is the Movie Mode with 1080p 60fps instead of 24fps.

I did notice, though, that according to the manual the bitrate of the G16 is lower than on the G15. Not sure what this means for the quality; one the one hand I do like my movie files to be a bit smaller than they are now on the G15, but if it would mean less quality then I am not so sure.

We'll have to see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads