Buffer size D7100

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions
chary zp
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?
Buffer size D7100
Aug 31, 2013

According to Nikon specs http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm the buffer size should be (L12, L14, C12, C14 for DX and 1,3 resp.)

7, 6, 9, 8 and 12, 8, 14, 11, but I can get only

7, 6, 8, 7 and 9, 7, 10, 8

with all buffer-eating features off (distortion corr, HI iso corr, Long iso corr)

What else is there to set to off?

chary zp's gear list:chary zp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,645
Like?
Re: Buffer size D7100
In reply to chary zp, Aug 31, 2013

chary zp wrote:

According to Nikon specs http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm the buffer size should be (L12, L14, C12, C14 for DX and 1,3 resp.)

with all buffer-eating features off (distortion corr, HI iso corr, Long iso corr)

ADL maybe?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chary zp
Like?
In reply to Mako2011, Aug 31, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

ADL maybe?

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

ADL doesn't make any change whatsoever.

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D90 Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +8 more
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Perhaps

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

ADL maybe?

-- hide signature --

Perhaps your set to Raw + Jpeg and "optimal quality"...try "size priority"

-- hide signature --

chary zp
Like?
Re: Perhaps

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

ADL maybe?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

I have RAW only, sorry, should've mentioned... I know that +JPG reduces buffer size, so I am trying all I can to get to the paper values, but there must be something hidden, or the web is lying.

Anyone any real experience with setting D7100?

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
keep looking

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

ADL maybe?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

I have RAW only, sorry, should've mentioned... I know that +JPG reduces buffer size, so I am trying all I can to get to the paper values, but there must be something hidden, or the web is lying.

It came up before (just recently) and the answer is an obvious one and now I can't find it. Same thing happens with the D7K. I'll keep trying.

-- hide signature --

Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456
Like?

Few other things.

Have you set the shutter to release not focus?

Are you shooting at at a slow shutter speed?

Are you spot metering or using matrix.

Is autoiso off?

Are you using a 90MB/sec SD card?

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
Auto-ISO

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

ADL maybe?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

It came up before (just recently) and the answer is an obvious one and now I can't find it. Same thing happens with the D7K. I'll keep trying.

Check Auto-ISO off...that was the other one folks reported changed R number

chary zp
Like?
In reply to Brandon birder, Aug 31, 2013

Brandon birder wrote:

Few other things.

Have you set the shutter to release not focus?

Are you shooting at at a slow shutter speed?

Are you spot metering or using matrix.

Is autoiso off?

Are you using a 90MB/sec SD card?

Shutter release/ focus - if you mean settings A1 and A2, doesn't matter what I set, doesn't influence buffer size.

Slow shutter speed? Doesn't matter what shutter speed you set on the camera, the buffer still shows the numbers I've already written. Either 1/1000 s or 1 ", no change.

AF mode doesn't influence the buffer size.

I am not using Auto-iso. I've just checked, Auto-Iso up to 6400 doesn't influence buffer, only HI modes reduce buffer, quite dramatically to only 4 or even 3 frames in both DX and 1,3.

I am using 95 MB/s Sandisk UHS-1 Extreme Pro, but I can imagine how the card speed can influence the buffer

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,379Gear list
Like?
One firmware glitch I know of...

In lossless 12 bit and 1.3x crop mode, the camera indicates that there are 9 shots in the buffer. There are 12, and I've confirmed it.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
chary zp
Like?
Re: Auto-ISO

Mako2011 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

chary zp wrote:

ADL maybe?

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Check Auto-ISO off...that was the other one folks reported changed R number

As I posted below, Auto-Iso doesn't influence buffer size up to native 6400, only HI modes influence buffer size, drop down to 3-4. Definitely not the drop from 14 to 10 (1,3x lossy 12bit)

chary zp
Like?
Re: One firmware glitch I know of...
In reply to JimPearce, Aug 31, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

In lossless 12 bit and 1.3x crop mode, the camera indicates that there are 9 shots in the buffer. There are 12, and I've confirmed it.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Oh my, is it really that simple? Just an info bug?

You are right,

12 lossless 1,3 - 12 shots at 7 fps (says 9)

12 lossy 1,3 - 15 shots at 7 fps(says 10)

Not too bad for birds and hockey, after all

Thanks man for the right kick in the head. I've already written to Nikon, so I wonder what they come up with.

archrich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?
In reply to chary zp, Sep 1, 2013

Thanks for the tip Jim and I appreciate you asking this question Chary. I should have thought of this myself.

Archie

archrich's gear list:archrich's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 +8 more
Robert Morris
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?

I shot with Nikon since the D100 and the buffer count on the top LCD is only an estimate of what you may get. You will almost always get more or less shots depending on the amount of detail in the scene you are shooting. Not a bug just the coder's of the machine best guess based "average" picture detail.

-- hide signature --

RM

Robert Morris's gear list:Robert Morris's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +30 more
Robert Morris
Contributing MemberPosts: 698Gear list
Like?

Notice the first disclaimer at the bottom of the chart. Shoot some pictures of a clear blue sky and you might be able to hit you numbers or do even better. Also every Nikon camera that I have ever owned starts writing to the memory card after the first shot so faster cards do make a difference in buffer performance.

From Nikon's website used without their permission.

*1 All figures are approximate. File size varies with scene recorded.

+

RM

Robert Morris's gear list:Robert Morris's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +30 more
JimPearce
Like?
No, a bug...
In reply to Robert Morris, Sep 1, 2013

Best guess, as per Nikon is 12.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
chary zp
Like?
In reply to Robert Morris, Sep 1, 2013

Robert Morris wrote:

Notice the first disclaimer at the bottom of the chart. Shoot some pictures of a clear blue sky and you might be able to hit you numbers or do even better. Also every Nikon camera that I have ever owned starts writing to the memory card after the first shot so faster cards do make a difference in buffer performance.

+

RM

That is of course true. But if the same principle applies to the camera and to the specs sheet, why do they differ in numbers? I'd be happy to read "10 frames buffer, depends on the scene" and find r10 on my camera display. No confusion. But why does the specs sheet say 14 when camera says 10? That's the point at this moment.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Like?
hmmm

chary zp wrote:

Robert Morris wrote:

+

RM

That is of course true. But if the same principle applies to the camera and to the specs sheet, why do they differ in numbers? I'd be happy to read "10 frames buffer, depends on the scene" and find r10 on my camera display. No confusion. But why does the specs sheet say 14 when camera says 10? That's the point at this moment.

The "r" number is based on worse case and predictive. Normally it should match the chart. A setting seems to be giving you one less than what others owners show. All the normal culprits don't seem to be the cause.

-- hide signature --

freesty
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

chary zp wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

-- hide signature --

Jim

Oh my, is it really that simple? Just an info bug?

You are right,

12 lossless 1,3 - 12 shots at 7 fps (says 9)

12 lossy 1,3 - 15 shots at 7 fps(says 10)

Not too bad for birds and hockey, after all

Thanks man for the right kick in the head. I've already written to Nikon, so I wonder what they come up with.

You got a 95MB/s card. Maybe the buffer empties before running out. Test your buffer with slower card...

JimPearce
Like?
Assumptions Mako...
In reply to Mako2011, Sep 1, 2013

My assumption is that with 12 bit lossless and 1.3 crop mode everyone sees 9 in the buffer rather than 12. If anyone sees 12 I'd like to hear it.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads