Canon EOS 70D VS Canon EOS 1D Mark III (Getting a new Camera)

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions
Chi Hyun
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
Canon EOS 70D VS Canon EOS 1D Mark III (Getting a new Camera)
Aug 31, 2013

*Okay guys, I am trying to upgrade a new camera from my Canon EOS Rebel T4I 650D.*

I like the both 70D and the 1DMKIII.

_The one thing that impressed me in the 70D, is the new dual-pixel sensor that auto focuses really fast.

_The one thing that impressed me in the 1DMKIII is the 10fps continuous shooting (burst) Sounds like a machine gun!

They are similary priced. But I don't know what to get.

I like to photograph trains

And marco.

Sometimes portraits too.

Maybe sports

(Video mode is not really a matter to me because I already have a Canon VIXIA Camcorder AND a T4I that records 1080p.)

Thanks for your reply (If you do)

I also have a 1DMKIII VS Canon EOS 7D in the forums: Canon EOS 1D / 5D / 6D Talk. So please check that out!

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,871Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 70D VS Canon EOS 1D Mark III (Getting a new Camera)
In reply to Chi Hyun, Aug 31, 2013

Buy both cameras and return one or both if you do not like them.

If you want to add to your existing DSLR and if your existing DSLR performs well you can look at a mirrorless camera system

Fuji XE-1 or Xpro-1, great still ability  APC format, 1.5x

Panasonic GH-3, very capable all in one for stills and video. Micro Four Thirds, 2x crop

I have shot with extensively DSLR and mirror less. If you like the same quality some of the mirror less options are great. You'll be amazing how small physically the gear is compared to a DSLR and how much weight you save, but performance does not suffer.

All have weaknesses and nothing is perfect. However, this idea for mirrorless is for a add on not replacement for what you seem to do.

I use the Canon XA-20 for video.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 6,099Gear list
Like?

For your interests I think that the 7 fps of the 70D vs the 10 fps of the 1D Mk III is inconsequential. I also think the additional resolution of the 70D would be very important.

If it were me I would choose the 70D.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,299Gear list
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Aug 31, 2013

Get the 1D if you need heavy duty water resistance (hours in the rain) and have the lenses that are water resistant, too. Get the 1D if you need a camera that takes a lot of abuse and keeps on shooting. Get the 1D if you REALLY need 10 fps (most people don't unless shooting pro sports or super fast moving wildlife). Otherwise get the 70D.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,176Gear list
Like?

Buy a 7D.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
GuardianFlash
Senior MemberPosts: 1,409Gear list
Like?

You do realize that there's a major weight difference right? Go carry a 12+ pound weight around for half a day. That's like the 1D Mark III with lens.

GuardianFlash's gear list:GuardianFlash's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,299Gear list
Like?
In reply to GuardianFlash, Aug 31, 2013

That is a bit of an exaggeration. To get to 12 pounds, you'd need to carry a 1D Mark III (3 pounds) and 600mm f4 IS II.  A more realistic combination is the Mark III and the 24-105 for 4.5 pounds (still heavy, but not unbearable).

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Ember42
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chi Hyun, Sep 1, 2013

Do you do much video?  If so - 70D

Do you have good EF_S lenses?  If so - 70D

Is weight an issue? If so 70D

Do you do mostly sports or active wildlife? If so 1D3

70D is going to be the better general mix camera.  The ID3's advantage is if you are foucs speed or frame rate limited.

Ember42's gear list:Ember42's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +12 more
Chi Hyun
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, Sep 1, 2013

Thanks!!

Chi Hyun
Like?
In reply to Ember42, Sep 2, 2013

I like to photograph trains, portraits, macro.

To be honest EF-S Lenses are not good. I'm gonna buy a USM lens because L lenses are too expensive and the EF-S focuses too slow.

Like I said, video is not a problem because I already have a T4I and a Vixia camcorder.

Thanks!

Chi Hyun
Like?
In reply to GuardianFlash, Sep 2, 2013

Dude the 1DMKIII is only 2.7 pounds -_-

Chi Hyun
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, Sep 2, 2013

I am only gonna spend 1200 dollars..

Thanks though

Chi Hyun
Like?
In reply to Limburger, Sep 2, 2013

Oh, well I DO have a 1DMKIII VS 7D. Look it up somewhere in the 1D / 5D / 6D Talk

Thanks! That is still heplful

Ember42
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chi Hyun, Sep 2, 2013

Chi Hyun wrote:

I like to photograph trains, portraits, macro.

To be honest EF-S Lenses are not good. I'm gonna buy a USM lens because L lenses are too expensive and the EF-S focuses too slow.

Like I said, video is not a problem because I already have a T4I and a Vixia camcorder.

Thanks!

Do you mean STM?

The EF-S 17-55 and EF-S 10-22 are both USM lenses, and have top flight optics.  They just have the reduced image circle for EF-S.

Ember42's gear list:Ember42's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +12 more
Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,097Gear list
Like?
Not accurate at all...
In reply to Chi Hyun, Sep 2, 2013

Chi Hyun wrote:

That's a HUGE generalization and basically inaccurate, except perhaps for your specific EF-S lens (whatever that is). The 17-55 and 15-85 are both excellent EF-S lenses with decent build quality, fast focusing, and absolutely "L" quality optics.  Even the 18-55 II kit lens has excellent optics and delivers great image quality.

If you're unhappy with your lens, and plan to stick with a crop camera, then you'll be selling yourself short by limiting yourself only to EF lenses, particularly if you don't have short term plans to move to FF.  If you're still a ways away from going to FF, then you're probably better off getting good EF-S lenses and then selling them later when you make the move.  The better lenses (such as those mentioned above) hold most of their value well.

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
tommy leong
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Sep 2, 2013

CameraCarl wrote:

Get the 1D if you need heavy duty water resistance (hours in the rain) and have the lenses that are water resistant, too. Get the 1D if you need a camera that takes a lot of abuse and keeps on shooting. Get the 1D if you REALLY need 10 fps (most people don't unless shooting pro sports or super fast moving wildlife). Otherwise get the 70D.

this has good to be one of the BEST advice on DPreview

fully agree

Chi Hyun
Like?
In reply to Ember42, Sep 2, 2013

Oh yeah. Sorry. Most STM lenses focus slow.

Akpinxit
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chi Hyun, Sep 3, 2013

If you mentioned "sports" and "macro" , when FF 1D is the choice for you .

I must add here , that in my understanding , these two models stand very far one from another . 1D is standard choice for professional still photo , while 70D is more tends for low badged film maker .

t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Sep 4, 2013

CameraCarl wrote:

..i'm from the other camp(nikon)most of my colleagues shoot canon,we "play"with each other's cameras.i'm a big fan of the 1d series canons..70d is newer camera with newer technology and will have better iq..BUT the speed, response,build,ergonomics"black out"time and af performance of the 1d series cameras are MUCH better than the "regular"canons.1d3 iq is still excellent..if you need the great video options and quality..go 70d..i shoot nikon ff d700 & dx 300s,both great cameras,but i prefer to shoot My "D" series nikons..BTW..i recently purchased a used EOS 1dmk2n,sent it to canon and had it overhauled with new shutter/mirror box,reskined cleaned and lubed cost me $870 including original purchase(got the camera almost for free).it looks brand new..LOVE IT as i always wanted a 1d series canon..DONT SWEAT the dxo scores for the canon cameras..serious shooters from both camp dont care about dxo scores as we are solely focused on capturing great images with our gear.the bitching that goes on here and" over there" is comical at best.good luck with you're decision

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 599
Like?
In reply to GuardianFlash, Sep 4, 2013

GuardianFlash wrote:

You do realize that there's a major weight difference right? Go carry a 12+ pound weight around for half a day. That's like the 1D Mark III with lens.

it's worth the weight..work out,build some arm strength,once you handle the big/bad pro series cameras from canon/nikon..hard to go back to "lesser" bodies..even if they are newer with better iq

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads