NEX C3 vs NEX 3N
I have a C3 and just ordered the 5R. I'm not sure what advantage the 3N has over the 3C. There are a few reasons I went with the 5R:
1. Tilt EVF ($240 at BHphoto)
2. Smart Zoom: I'm not sure if the 3N has this. The mag on the C3 is not very good, but I have it on the R1 and find it very useful.
3. NEX-5R is $449 with a memory card & bag at BH.
Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100 & Nikon V1
According to engadget.com it may make sense:
"But it's by far the most impressive entry-level Sony ILC we've seen, and one of the very best options for less than 600 bucks. Excellent image quality, a solid (but compact) build and Sony's new 16-50mm retractable zoom lens make the NEX-3N an excellent fit for interchangeable-lens hopefuls making the jump from a compact point-and-shoot, or even current NEX-3/C3/F3 owners ready for something a bit more fresh. It's a fantastically capable camera, and it looks great, too. We wouldn't hesitate to pick one up."
Heres a good link that compares the specs of the two.
The F3 is a much better upgrade despite its ugliness. I'd go for 5R as real upgrade. my c3 balance is awful which 3n copies. tilted shutter btn of 5r better plus wifi stuff etc. works better with off cam flash too. u WD notice these things if u push c3 as much as I have with 30k shots in a yr and 3x service visits!
ionutradulescu wrote: this is the question. i have the C3 and i want the 3N.
I have a C3 and wanted a camera with a build-in flash as I find flash attachment annoying. I went to camera store to but walk away very disappointed:
1. 3N LCD is horrible - not just in low resolution, but in brightness as well. It is also very NOISY, tend to show mosquitos dots everywhere. It reminds me of early 2001 plasma tv with poor resolution and obvious screen-door effect
2. "Single Hinge" LCD = NO Tilt down. Older NEX 5n/5r/c3 have "double hinge" allowing it to tilt up or down. The 3N gone cheap with just a single hinge. Thus, you can only flip it up 180 degrees, but not down anymore.
3. Metal Grip feel cheap + slippy - doesn't hold it as well as C3
4. Thick Like a BRICK. I dislike the Brick-Like design of nex-6, 7, and 3N. 3N is hands-on feel like a brick, its doesn't have the tiny small feel of c3 and 5n, 5r
Anyhow, sorry to throw cold water on you, but I walk away rather disappointed with 3N. There was too much cost-cutting resulting in a camera that feel rather cheap as well. Where as the Nex 5R (next to 3N) feel very nice. Its LCD is superb, has soft rubber grip = feel high class, and is very small (no brick like design).
I would strongly encourage you to try it out in person (don't take anyone's word for it, including mine). To me, 3N is a downgrade from C3. NEX-5n/5r/5t are the better upgrade.
this is the question. i have the C3 and i want the 3N.
this step make any sens?
its always interested me that in Sony's outlet store they sell (refurbs) the C3 for >> 3N
so in the UK the 3C with cheaper 18-55 goes for GBP299 and the 3N with more expensive 16-50PZ for GBP239 ?
I've got both (actually, the missus now uses my C3) & the answer is yes, the 3N is better but not massively so. It's definitely an incremental upgrade as opposed to a step change. The single biggest improvement isn't IQ, but the fact that the 3N doesn't discharge the battery when powered down - a real bugbear with the C3.
Note that the 3N never got a full firmware update to support the SELP1650 - it does work but you need to set the lens compensation to auto yourself, and obviously there is no zoom lever, so you need to use the one on the lens.
F3 is a beauty!!
The F3 is a much better upgrade despite its ugliness.