70D Field Notes - Elephants included

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
70D Field Notes - Elephants included
Aug 31, 2013

Lucky me, my camera store in Bangkok got the 70D on Thursday and it was lucky because Friday I was off to see the Elephant Polo Matches. I brought 3 lenses with me to the match but never used the Kit 18-135mm.

I started with the Sigma 18-35mm and got some great shots, I didn't use video with it today but had the previous day and I did not notice any noise when I zoomed in and out.

Most of the day I used the Canon f4-5.6 70-300L. Auto focus was great, for video everything was also excellent and I didn't notice any noise with that lens either.

I used a Kenko 1.4x with the 70-300L and no problems with that combination either doing video or stills.

My card was a Sandisk Ultra UHS 45/mb card, and that was fine and handled 1080 video and high speed burst shots. When I filled that up I had to switch to a Sandisk Ultra 30mb card (class 10, not UHS), and that would not handle 1080 video and I filled up the buffer a lot when taking burst shots.

Also no problems with heat, I was a little worried that 4 hours of near continuos use in the Thailand sun would be too much

In short, I'm very impressed. Auto focus was very accurate both 'regular' and the new dual phase AF, image quality was very good, control layout is good and responsive.

The only gripes I have are very minimal, picking a focus spot is harder than it was with the joystick on the 40D (but I'm getting better with practice). You have to turn WiFi off before going into video mode (why is this not automatic ?), and with WiFi I need to have different 'wifi sets' for my iPhone and Nook tablet -- why can't they use the same settings ?

(image was adjusted in Lightroom 5.2beta)

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
timmer350
Contributing MemberPosts: 595Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to Neal Bkk, Aug 31, 2013
 timmer350's gear list:timmer350's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to timmer350, Aug 31, 2013

Been using the 40D for 6 years.

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wildplaces
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to Neal Bkk, Aug 31, 2013

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the new 70D...and nice, exotic shot, BTW.

I also just bought a 70D to replace my 40D (may be converted to IR or UV) and still going through the basic instruction manual!  I like to read it cover-to-cover with camera in hand before going out into the real world.  Photography is a hobby and adjunct to my work, so, alas, can't spend all day with my new camera!  Only on work breaks...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to Neal Bkk, Sep 1, 2013

Neal Bkk wrote:

Lucky me, my camera store in Bangkok got the 70D on Thursday and it was lucky because Friday I was off to see the Elephant Polo Matches. I brought 3 lenses with me to the match but never used the Kit 18-135mm.

I started with the Sigma 18-35mm and got some great shots, I didn't use video with it today but had the previous day and I did not notice any noise when I zoomed in and out.

Most of the day I used the Canon f4-5.6 70-300L. Auto focus was great, for video everything was also excellent and I didn't notice any noise with that lens either.

I used a Kenko 1.4x with the 70-300L and no problems with that combination either doing video or stills.

Did you use the teleconverter on the image posted? If so that's why the image looks as bad as it does.  Not sharp, a lot of fuzziness, just not clear and inadequate DOF.  You'd probably have been better off just cropping instead of using a Kenko teleconverter.  The image is also on the dark side but guess that is lack of DR by Canon still.

My card was a Sandisk Ultra UHS 45/mb card, and that was fine and handled 1080 video and high speed burst shots. When I filled that up I had to switch to a Sandisk Ultra 30mb card (class 10, not UHS), and that would not handle 1080 video and I filled up the buffer a lot when taking burst shots.

Also no problems with heat, I was a little worried that 4 hours of near continuos use in the Thailand sun would be too much

In short, I'm very impressed. Auto focus was very accurate both 'regular' and the new dual phase AF, image quality was very good, control layout is good and responsive.

The only gripes I have are very minimal, picking a focus spot is harder than it was with the joystick on the 40D (but I'm getting better with practice). You have to turn WiFi off before going into video mode (why is this not automatic ?), and with WiFi I need to have different 'wifi sets' for my iPhone and Nook tablet -- why can't they use the same settings ?

(image was adjusted in Lightroom 5.2beta)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PBSBill
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to RedFox88, Sep 2, 2013

RedFox88 wrote:

Neal Bkk wrote:

Lucky me, my camera store in Bangkok got the 70D on Thursday and it was lucky because Friday I was off to see the Elephant Polo Matches. I brought 3 lenses with me to the match but never used the Kit 18-135mm.

I started with the Sigma 18-35mm and got some great shots, I didn't use video with it today but had the previous day and I did not notice any noise when I zoomed in and out.

Most of the day I used the Canon f4-5.6 70-300L. Auto focus was great, for video everything was also excellent and I didn't notice any noise with that lens either.

I used a Kenko 1.4x with the 70-300L and no problems with that combination either doing video or stills.

Did you use the teleconverter on the image posted? If so that's why the image looks as bad as it does. Not sharp, a lot of fuzziness, just not clear and inadequate DOF. You'd probably have been better off just cropping instead of using a Kenko teleconverter. The image is also on the dark side but guess that is lack of DR by Canon still.

It must be me, but when I view the original size image it is sharp, not fuzzy, clear and nice DOF. And actually not bad on brightness.

 PBSBill's gear list:PBSBill's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tommy leong
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to PBSBill, Sep 2, 2013

wow
Pls tell us more about the 1.4x and 70-300 experience.
particularly in the shade.ie, not sunny out door.
I am soooo getting this camera
btw, you are wise to keep your camera for 6 years before upgrading.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chuck Eklund
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to PBSBill, Sep 2, 2013

The "original size" looks sharper and brighter to me also.

 Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to tommy leong, Sep 2, 2013

The Canon 4-5.6 70-300L is an amazing lens, I'm sure you can find reviews all over the internet. It works very nicely with the 70D. I found focus lock to be faster than with my old 40D (and it was pretty good with that).

The Kenko 1.4 give you that extra reach for when you are photographing an elephant 300 ft away, but at the cost of 1 f-stop. You should also follow the rule of thumb of using a shutter speed that is the reciprocal of the length, i.e. if shooting 400mm, use 1/400 shutter. That means you need good light to use this combination, noon in Thailand is perfect, but it is not be the best solution for end of day, heavy shadows, etc...

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WilbaW
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,690Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to tommy leong, Sep 2, 2013

tommy leong wrote:

Pls tell us more about the 1.4x and 70-300 experience.

Yeah. I'd particularly like to know how AI Servo at 300mm without the TC, compares with continuous Flexizone - Single at 300mm, without and with the TC. Would you be willing to try that for us?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to WilbaW, Sep 2, 2013

I was using AI Servo the majority of the day and my focus rate was great, 95%+. Didn't notice any major degradation between the 70-300 with TC and without, But then it was very sunny, open and Elephants are big and relatively slow.

The day before I was trying to shoot a Crane as it flew away, and got 30-40% focus with the 70-300, was not using the TC that day.

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to Neal Bkk, Sep 2, 2013

Neal, where did you get it in BKK?

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

 garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-3 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 500mm F4.5 EX DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to garyknrd, Sep 2, 2013

EC Mall, fortune town branch.
They took a 10% deposit and had it in a few days.
Very good price.

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to Neal Bkk, Sep 2, 2013

This is the 70-300L with Kenko 1.4 TC, adjusted in DPP (picture style=landscape, brightness -0.5)

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Re: WOW. 1.4x and still focus the 70-300
In reply to WilbaW, Sep 2, 2013

Another 70-300L with TC. Adjusted in DPP (brightness -0.5, landscape mode)

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neal Bkk
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
Sigma 1.8 18-35mm
In reply to Neal Bkk, Sep 2, 2013

Sigma 1.8 18-35mm

 Neal Bkk's gear list:Neal Bkk's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,786Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to PBSBill, Sep 2, 2013

PBSBill wrote:

It must be me, but when I view the original size image it is sharp, not fuzzy, clear and nice DOF. And actually not bad on brightness.

I've viewed the original size and it just isn't sharp with a lot of fuziness that is what I'd expect from a teleconverter.  There is a lot of DOF but not a lot in sharp focus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Akpinxit
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Re: 70D Field Notes - Elephants included
In reply to Neal Bkk, Sep 3, 2013

well , frankly , there is nothing much in this photo from pixel peering point of view : high CA and blur all center and corners , not really flattering nor camera nor lens

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads