Did change to full-frame change your techniques?

Started Aug 31, 2013 | Discussions
martin_k13
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
Did change to full-frame change your techniques?
Aug 31, 2013

Hi,

Yesterday my new 6D arrived and currently I explore the camera. One thing I noticed instantly was the big viewfinder, of course.  And I noticed also that, for the first time since I started photography, the judgement of sharpness and DOF is a lot easier than with an APS-C viewfinder. I think manual focus becomes more usable, and also full-time-manual-focus lenses are advantageous to have. Using the reliable cross-type point and manual focus, it's easy and fast to adjust the desired focus in your picture.

So, did a change to full frame also change your techniques as well?

Martin

martin_k13's gear list:martin_k13's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,508Gear list
Like?
Re: Did change to full-frame change your techniques?
In reply to martin_k13, Aug 31, 2013

martin_k13 wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday my new 6D arrived and currently I explore the camera. One thing I noticed instantly was the big viewfinder, of course. And I noticed also that, for the first time since I started photography, the judgement of sharpness and DOF is a lot easier than with an APS-C viewfinder. I think manual focus becomes more usable, and also full-time-manual-focus lenses are advantageous to have. Using the reliable cross-type point and manual focus, it's easy and fast to adjust the desired focus in your picture.

Martin

There isn't a VF in the 35mm format that enables me to focus critically due to my particular eyesight. I'd say Live View did more for me in terms of focusing.

I had only been using a DSLR for 2 years when I switched to the 5D in 2005 which was the game plan from the git-go. Not sure I had established any techniques yet but the DoF confounded me for a bit. Commencing with the 5D, I really started to study the images more closely, many might call this study Pixel Peeping. Also commencing with the 5D, I established for the first time some goals I wanted to acheive with my images and I began to adopt techniques that would or could produce those goals.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. TJ said, "Every generation needs a new revolution".

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3X Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bas Hamstra
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488Gear list
Like?

martin_k13 wrote:

Hi,

Yesterday my new 6D arrived and currently I explore the camera. One thing I noticed instantly was the big viewfinder, of course. And I noticed also that, for the first time since I started photography, the judgement of sharpness and DOF is a lot easier than with an APS-C viewfinder. I think manual focus becomes more usable, and also full-time-manual-focus lenses are advantageous to have. Using the reliable cross-type point and manual focus, it's easy and fast to adjust the desired focus in your picture.

Martin

Why waste time with manual focus when you can have the 50/1.8 for 88 EUR new? On my 5D it has no trouble AF-ing at all and the DOF control gives you new possibilties. A 50 mm works like a 50 mm, that's the reason I got the 5D.

Bas

Robemo
Regular MemberPosts: 379Gear list
Like?

As an old schooler coming from the age of manual focus I had to get used to APS-C DSLR's. If I wanted to get a small DOF I had to learn to use different lenses and different settings.

When I started using full frame I could rely on my old skills again and the fact that a 35 mm lens really is a 35 mm lens again. I realize that for contemporary photographers that never used full frame before, this 'switch' is quite different. For them it is a natural thing that a 35 mm lens is actually a kind of 'standard' 55 mm lens on APS-C, while for me it is the ideal reporters lens.

I don't know where you stand and where you come from (photography-wise), but I would say that you definitely need a bit of let's say adaptation of technique when switching sensor sizes.

Ron

Olivier15
Forum MemberPosts: 57
Like?

What did you move from? It sounds like it was one of the old rebels with tiny dark viewfinders. The difference in viewfinder size with a 7D is nowhere near as large (about 10% I think). A bit more with a x0D.

Anyway, to answer the question: no, it hasn't anything related to full frame. What has changed (low light AF and auto ISO) is because I moved from a much older camera to something current.

martin_k13
Regular MemberPosts: 122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olivier15, Aug 31, 2013

Olivier15 wrote:

What did you move from? It sounds like it was one of the old rebels with tiny dark viewfinders.

To date I used a 40D, previously to that I used a 350D. I found the brightness of the 40D's vf ok, but 6D's even better.

mk

martin_k13's gear list:martin_k13's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robemo, Aug 31, 2013

Robemo wrote:

As an old schooler coming from the age of manual focus I had to get used to APS-C DSLR's. If I wanted to get a small DOF I had to learn to use different lenses and different settings.

When I started using full frame I could rely on my old skills again and the fact that a 35 mm lens really is a 35 mm lens again. I realize that for contemporary photographers that never used full frame before, this 'switch' is quite different. For them it is a natural thing that a 35 mm lens is actually a kind of 'standard' 55 mm lens on APS-C, while for me it is the ideal reporters lens.

I don't know where you stand and where you come from (photography-wise), but I would say that you definitely need a bit of let's say adaptation of technique when switching sensor sizes.

Ron

+1 to what Ron says.  I started photography in the 70s so when I moved over to a 6D I felt like I was coming home.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM +5 more
Robemo
Regular MemberPosts: 379Gear list
Like?

In that case full frame is new to you. The difference with full frame is that you have to be more careful where you want to focus on, especially in low light and lens wide open. It also depends on the lens used of course, but in general the narrower DOF with full frame will punish 'sloppy aiming'. APS-C cameras are a bit more forgiving with more DOF.

A lens with USM where AF can be manually adjusted fast is a bonus on full frame. And of course it always help to excercise the AF skills (manual and AF) with the new camera.

mbloof
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?

In a word - No. Not really.

The switch to FF gave me better DOF control and high ISO performance. The somewhat larger+brighter view finder was quickly nullified with a different focusing screen.

At the time it did change how I handled my files. Switching from a 400D and 50D to a 5D2 'encouraged' me to upgrade to a faster computer with more storage space and the purchase of Lightroom to help process and get the most out of the images.

While the 5D3 is just about everything I would want in a camera and even the new 6D looks attractive to me I'll likely wait until the 5D4 comes out before deciding to upgrade. Nether have features that I can't live without.

-- hide signature --

(insert brag sheet here)
A sampling of my images are in my DPR gallery
Technologist @ Large
- Mark0

mbloof's gear list:mbloof's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +9 more
Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?
In reply to martin_k13, Sep 1, 2013

martin_k13 wrote:

Hi,

Martin

Hi Martin

I've recently done the reverse & switched from full frame Canon's to the APS-C EOS-M to reduce weight & have found that for my landscapes, depth of field is so much greater, I can be much more relaxed about focusing, to the extent that when using my usual focal lengths at f/8, I can focus between 1 & 2m & everything's sharp!  It might make me a little lazy, but I can setup quicker & get more keepers.

Joe Mayer
Regular MemberPosts: 118Gear list
Like?

martin_k13 wrote:

Hi,

Martin

I don't know if this will be an issue for you but one of the biggest changes that a few friends that I have encountered going from crop to FF is wrapping their heads around the dof difference.  As crop users, they sometimes struggled to get shallower shots while now they find it's the opposite.  It's not a problem but simply a matter of breaking old habits in aperture choices.  It also made a difference too that they didn't really shoot 35mm film so all of their experience shooting was P&S and crop.

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +1 more
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,934Gear list
Like?

When I made the transition from Rebel to 5D2, I did start taking a lot more low light pictures, and pictures that emphasized shallow DOF isolation.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

richiemccaw
Regular MemberPosts: 433Gear list
Like?
In reply to billythek, Sep 2, 2013

I cant quite take low light photos with my 5D but I have started taking a lot more shallow DOF photos with my pancake 40mm f2.8. For some reason the large bright viewfinder (albeit 98%) has made it easier to compose my shots.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Skip M
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,171
Like?
Started with film...
In reply to martin_k13, Sep 2, 2013

So, no, not really.  What I found was that I relaxed more and could judge focal lengths better with full frame than I had been able to with the crop sensor bodies I'd used to that point.  I found photography less frustrating than with my D30 or 20D.

Higher ISOs are a bonus, but since I learned on film, I learned what to do to compensate for low ISO capabilities.  That being said, love working with high ISO at a wedding with the 5D3...

-- hide signature --

Skip M
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
www.pbase.com/skipm
http://skipm.smugmug.com/
http://skipmiddletonglamourshooter.blogspot.com/
'Living in the heart of a dream, in the Promised Land!'
John Stewart

yodermk
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
eyesight?
In reply to Rick Knepper, Sep 2, 2013

Rick Knepper wrote:

There isn't a VF in the 35mm format that enables me to focus critically due to my particular eyesight. I'd say Live View did more for me in terms of focusing.

Curious if you'd want to elaborate on that any.  I am visually impaired - about 20/100 corrected.  Not sure if that's roughly your condition or not?

As for my own condition and my new 5D3, I'm able to get a good general idea of focus with the VF, but for my MF lenses (Zeiss 50 Makro f/2 and TS-E 24) I rely heavily on the focus confirmation beep while twisting the ring.  I then check the photo after the shoot, or use live view if I have a tripod.

In any case I'm curious if there are other low vision photographers out there.  One co-worker retorted "wow you sure take good pictures for being blind!" Heh.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +9 more
yodermk
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bas Hamstra, Sep 2, 2013

Bas Hamstra wrote:

Why waste time with manual focus when you can have the 50/1.8 for 88 EUR new? On my 5D it has no trouble AF-ing at all and the DOF control gives you new possibilties. A 50 mm works like a 50 mm, that's the reason I got the 5D.

Bas

Because the Zeiss 50 Makro Planar kicks the 50 1.8's butt.

I had the nifty fifty on my crop cameras, didn't use it all that much.  Got the Zeiss and started using it a lot more, but it's much more useful now on the 5D3.

-- hide signature --

If it's a *Single* Lens Reflex, why do I need so many lenses?

yodermk's gear list:yodermk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 60D Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/50 +9 more
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 22,085Gear list
Like?
In reply to martin_k13, Sep 3, 2013

martin_k13 wrote:

I think manual focus becomes more usable, and also full-time-manual-focus lenses are advantageous to have.

Manual focus is fine for tripod and macro photos, but after a while I found it to be a time waster as autofocus will get you where you want to be faster and you'll get the photo.   Don't fool yourself into thinking you can manual focus through a small viewfinder (yes 35mm dSLR still have small viewfinders compared to the days of manual focus film SLRs) better and faster than autofocus.

Calliope
Senior MemberPosts: 1,047Gear list
Like?

The shallow depth of field threw me off for a while when shooting hummingbirds from 3 feet away. I also had to learn to zoom with my feet as my long lenses were not as effective for birds and sports. I still use my 7D a lot but like the 5D3 for portraits and low light shots.

Calliope's gear list:Calliope's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +4 more
leroyvanhee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822
Like?

With less noise on the 6D I use higher ISO settings (and my tripod much less). I also use less (often none) noise reduction in post which preserves more fine detail.

Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,699Gear list
Like?

yeah, now the models take their clothes off.

Kidding

No is the answer, since SLR film cameras were 35mm FF and even then I can't really see how it would make all that much difference in technique. I don't take pictures of charts though, so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads