Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions
dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
Aug 30, 2013

Not exactly a classic black and white, but it's a good one for detail. Or at least I think it should be, although strangely enough, I can see the lettering on the Wytheville VA sign (just below the treetops just left of center) clearly on the Monochrom monitor screen, and it doesn't look as clear here when viewed at 100 percent. f5.6, 1/3000 handheld, ISO 800.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the fake sky - the actual sky was blank white so I had this low quality substitute on hand....

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189
Like?
Re: Monochrom/Noctilux - West Virginia freeway stop
In reply to dale thorn, Aug 30, 2013

It's a parking lot. Surely you can find something more rewarding for the viewer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dale thorn
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Aug 31, 2013

Toccata47 wrote:

It's a parking lot. Surely you can find something more rewarding for the viewer.

My idea in purchasing the Monochrom and Noctilux was for more abstract images, form and structure etc. rather than people, places, events or whatever is considered normal for color photography. So I didn't see this so much as a place I visited - I saw it as a juxtaposition of patterns and shapes in different shades. If that sounds like BS or whatever, I won't disagree since it is what it is literally. But that's the best I can say at this point, since I don't have that many finished images at the moment.

Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,455Gear list
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, Aug 31, 2013

That's a lot of  $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.  

Thanks for posting.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
dale thorn
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Aug 31, 2013

Len_Gee wrote:

That's a lot of $$$$$ to take pictures of parking lots.

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

It is a lot of $$$, and it was a real concern, to be sure it would deliver the goods. But having seen the results and how much they look like medium format photos I have from the 1970s, no worries. The image only has to look good aesthetically - the content or subject is mostly irrelevant. I do envy people who have taken on meaningful tasks with their cameras - something besides creating simple art - but I don't have any such tasks in my sights at this time.

Toccata47
Like?

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

It is a lot of $$$, and it was a real concern, to be sure it would deliver the goods. But having seen the results and how much they look like medium format photos I have from the 1970s, no worries. The image only has to look good aesthetically - the content or subject is mostly irrelevant. I do envy people who have taken on meaningful tasks with their cameras - something besides creating simple art - but I don't have any such tasks in my sights at this time.

You could have achieved a more aesthetic photo with less relevant content with an iphone and any number of apps. I like scratch cam and snapseed. Have you tried them?

dale thorn
Like?
In reply to Toccata47, Aug 31, 2013

Toccata47 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

You could have achieved a more aesthetic photo with less relevant content with an iphone and any number of apps. I like scratch cam and snapseed. Have you tried them?

I could hire a maid a lot cheaper than having a wife, if that's what you mean. But no.

bosjohn
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,890
Like?

dale thorn wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

I could hire a maid a lot cheaper than having a wife, if that's what you mean. But no.

so what am I missing? the original poster says already its not a great image but he thinks it shows the detail and how well or not his new lens is working. Instead of commenting on the lens performance you guys are all beating on him for showing a banal image. get over it at address your comments to his intention, which is how well is the lens performing and save the heavy handed critique for more appropriate places.

ps although I attached my statement to this post its a general statement about the tone this thread has taken and should not be taken as in anyway singling out any one

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

Toccata47
Like?

dale thorn wrote:

Toccata47 wrote:

dale thorn wrote:

Len_Gee wrote:

Just sayin.

Thanks for posting.

Yikes. That's not what I meant. No need to denigrate your wife to turn a phrase my way. This is what I meant:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/riapereira/7338192326/

...just a simple example of making an aesthetically interesting photo from an irrelevant subject using an iphone with scratch cam.

The broader point is if you want feedback on something post something worth the time it takes to look at. Sure, something in that photo is sharp. But something is always sharp with any camera when it has focus, right?

You made a post a while back about wanting to learn how to make a better black and white photograph. That was the genesis of my comment to this thread.

Toccata47
Like?
In reply to bosjohn, Aug 31, 2013

bosjohn wrote:

so what am I missing? the original poster says already its not a great image but he thinks it shows the detail and how well or not his new lens is working. Instead of commenting on the lens performance you guys are all beating on him for showing a banal image. get over it at address your comments to his intention, which is how well is the lens performing and save the heavy handed critique for more appropriate places.

ps although I attached my statement to this post its a general statement about the tone this thread has taken and should not be taken as in anyway singling out any one

-- hide signature --

bosjohn aka John Shick bosjohn@yahoo.com

You're right. Something is sharp.

/end snark mode.

meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 3,820Gear list
Like?

hi dale

before you read this post dale please accept that there is no malice whatsoever intended in the following, this is just how i read your threads and the answers you sometimes receive.

in the maybe 3mths since i first saw you appear on this forum, if i remember right, you got yourself a x-vario, then a d-lux6 g-raw, and now a MM/noctilux combo, im not green with envy, but yes i am envious.

the vast majority of the images you have since posted from these amazing photographic tools are usually tagged with asides stating that `these are just test shots to see how the x-varios lens performs`, or other asides just telling everyone that your posted images are just to compare one thing or another.

i would guess that seeing as you talk about using film back in the 70s (like myself) you must have a good idea of how to take a few decent shots that you can put up here. im sure most forum members would love to see you put your equipment to better use, than just posting by your own admission, shots that are just to see how this or that performs.

i know i would love to start seeing some serious stuff of yours,i cant even tell what your prefered genre (if you have one) is after three months, as i cant remember much other than comparison/test shots.

i think most people accept that the three cameras you have spoken about recently are all bloody good tools, so lets see some of your more worthwhile images please.

very best

pc

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
DavidGBK
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062
Like?
In reply to meagre offerings, Aug 31, 2013

I find nothing wrong with this - I like it.

Some interesting compositional elements - I see at least one "three".

Not all street photography needs people in it.

Regards

David

Daedalus2000
Senior MemberPosts: 4,169
Like?

The fake sky confused me tremendously... I thought the MM was creating funny jpegs artifacts, but then I re-read the original post...

I also agree with Paul above (Paul do not look surprised! ). We know that you are capable of showing us some great images, so I look forward to seeing more from your camera, especially from this combo.

Best, D

starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?

meagre offerings wrote:

hi dale

before you read this post dale please accept that there is no malice whatsoever intended in the following, this is just how i read your threads and the answers you sometimes receive.

in the maybe 3mths since i first saw you appear on this forum, if i remember right, you got yourself a x-vario, then a d-lux6 g-raw, and now a MM/noctilux combo, im not green with envy, but yes i am envious.

the vast majority of the images you have since posted from these amazing photographic tools are usually tagged with asides stating that `these are just test shots to see how the x-varios lens performs`, or other asides just telling everyone that your posted images are just to compare one thing or another.

i would guess that seeing as you talk about using film back in the 70s (like myself) you must have a good idea of how to take a few decent shots that you can put up here. im sure most forum members would love to see you put your equipment to better use, than just posting by your own admission, shots that are just to see how this or that performs.

i know i would love to start seeing some serious stuff of yours,i cant even tell what your prefered genre (if you have one) is after three months, as i cant remember much other than comparison/test shots.

i think most people accept that the three cameras you have spoken about recently are all bloody good tools, so lets see some of your more worthwhile images please.

very best

pc

Don't know what to think with Dale.

Still wonder if he is just a Troll or not presenting stuff which was not shot with the cameras he pretends. There is never any EXIF datas (wonder why trim it even on test pictures) and so far the quality of the stuff presented would make you more willing to invest your bucks somewhere else than on a Leica.

Don't want to sound harsh but...this is very questionable for me so I don't take Dale's posts very seriously anyway.

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
John Siward
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
In reply to meagre offerings, Sep 1, 2013

meagre offerings wrote:

hi dale

in the maybe 3mths since i first saw you appear on this forum, if i remember right, you got yourself a x-vario, then a d-lux6 g-raw, and now a MM/noctilux combo, im not green with envy, but yes i am envious.

the vast majority of the images you have since posted from these amazing photographic tools are usually tagged with asides stating that `these are just test shots to see how the x-varios lens performs`, or other asides just telling everyone that your posted images are just to compare one thing or another.

i would guess that seeing as you talk about using film back in the 70s (like myself) you must have a good idea of how to take a few decent shots that you can put up here. im sure most forum members would love to see you put your equipment to better use, than just posting by your own admission, shots that are just to see how this or that performs.

i know i would love to start seeing some serious stuff of yours,i cant even tell what your prefered genre (if you have one) is after three months, as i cant remember much other than comparison/test shots.

very best

pc

I think your post is far from harsh - very generous in fact. I love looking at photographs: from classic landscapes through holiday snapshots; and I like "out there" arty stuff like Cindy Sherman, and I'm a huge fan of Stephen Shore, so I've nothing against parking lots and motels and kitsch.

My first thought on seeing the West Virginia freeway stop photograph was that it was someone with some knowledge of photography playing an elaborate joke on the Leica Forum, especially considering the equipment - Monochrom + Noctilux being at the niche / exotic end of the Leica range.

The framing and composition have been done quite carefully, from the lack of anything drawing the eye into the frame, to the OOF tree intruding into the frame on the left. The claimed ISO / shutter speed used provokes an automatic response of "Why?"; and the photo has been processed extensively. There is the posterised sky full of artefacts that has been pasted in quite skilfully, which the photographer acknowledges, but also, I suspect, the exposure, levels, and curves have been manipulated to produce a B&W image with uniformly dull tones.

J.

dale thorn
Like?
In reply to starwolfy, Sep 1, 2013

starwolfy wrote:.

Still wonder if he is just a Troll or not presenting stuff which was not shot with the cameras he pretends. There is never any EXIF datas (wonder why trim it even on test pictures) and so far the quality of the stuff presented would make you more willing to invest your bucks somewhere else than on a Leica.

Don't want to sound harsh but...this is very questionable for me so I don't take Dale's posts very seriously anyway.

Some of the folks replying here I have on ignore because they are real trolls, so I don't read what they say and don't care anyway. I doubt that they perform any useful photographic functions. I could prove that I have black and white lab experience from 1967 forward including Army lab, and I could prove that I purchased the camera and lens from Dale Photo in Florida on August 19, which I suppose would embarrass someone, but for what purpose? That I need your approval? Just stick to whatever commentary you think is appropriate, harsh or not. If you go overboard, it will just make you look bad, not me.

meagre offerings
Like?
In reply to starwolfy, Sep 1, 2013

meagre offerings wrote:

hi dale

very best

pc

dale thorn
Like?
In reply to John Siward, Sep 1, 2013

John Siward wrote:

The framing and composition have been done quite carefully, from the lack of anything drawing the eye into the frame, to the OOF tree intruding into the frame on the left. The claimed ISO / shutter speed used provokes an automatic response of "Why?"; and the photo has been processed extensively. There is the posterised sky full of artefacts that has been pasted in quite skilfully, which the photographer acknowledges, but also, I suspect, the exposure, levels, and curves have been manipulated to produce a B&W image with uniformly dull tones.

J.

That's a reasonable critique, but there wasn't an intent to make a dull image - I just shoot JPEG and it's an early experiment for me with this camera and lens. I've used M4 and M6 for color work, and one 6 month stint doing b&w office portraits in '87 - the rest of my b&w shooting was with a Rollei square shooter and Rollei 35, and I never had a problem getting a good print. I could shoot totally on manual I suppose, but I'd like to coax the camera to produce good exposures on 'A' shutter (aperture priority). So far it's been tricky - not much different in that respect from any digital cameras I've used.

BTW, judging by the attitudes of some of the miscreants here, I'd say a lot of them are more into SLR's than rangefinders, and I've not used an SLR aside from a Rollei TLR (whatever mechanics it does, don't remember) for more than half a roll of film. That was an R3 Safari edition someone gave me, and I gave it back. It even had a black lens painted green - quite appropriate for the Minolta junk it was.

meagre offerings
Like?
In reply to meagre offerings, Sep 1, 2013

meagre offerings wrote:

hi dale

very best

pc

starwolfy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, Sep 1, 2013

dale thorn wrote:

starwolfy wrote:.

Some of the folks replying here I have on ignore because they are real trolls, so I don't read what they say and don't care anyway. I doubt that they perform any useful photographic functions. I could prove that I have black and white lab experience from 1967 forward including Army lab, and I could prove that I purchased the camera and lens from Dale Photo in Florida on August 19, which I suppose would embarrass someone, but for what purpose? That I need your approval? Just stick to whatever commentary you think is appropriate, harsh or not. If you go overboard, it will just make you look bad, not me.

I don't care you show me a proof or not.

What I said is that you are not a valuable input on this forum so I don't take your participation here very seriously anyway.

starwolfy's gear list:starwolfy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads