The famous "which camera" question: Pentax K-50 or Samsung NX300.

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Discussions
GustavoGoulart
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
The famous "which camera" question: Pentax K-50 or Samsung NX300.
Aug 30, 2013

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I guess this is the most annoying kind of question, but it is needed to be asked :-).

Well, I did many reading about dslr, mirrorless, prices and features. I´m on a budget about $1000 to $1200, and I´m up to one of this options:

DSLR: Pentax K-50 or K-30, with 18-55 / 50-200 / 50 mm f1.8

Mirrorless: Samsung NX300, with 20-50 / 50-200 / 50 mm f1.8

I don´t want to decide just based on the best picture quality or video quality down to pixel peeping arguments, I aways balance price/features/quality...and I confess I have an inclination to the mirrorless side of the force, although I really loved the results I´ve seen from K-30 and K-50 and the weather sealing seems very appealing to me, not to mention the DSLR emotional connection with my past SLRs, but the whole package of the NX300 is seducing me day by day.

I don´t mind being limited on lenses, I don´t mind either to use all manual lenses with adapters, actually this idea seems exciting for me.

I know the Sony NEX family, It really

I really would like to see a DPreview review on Samsung NX300, I don´t know why is not there yet, since its such a promising camera.

Thanks!!

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?
Re: The famous "Chalk and Cheese" reply.
In reply to GustavoGoulart, Aug 31, 2013

GustavoGoulart wrote:

Hello everyone!

This is my first post here and I guess this is the most annoying kind of question, but it is needed to be asked :-).

Well, I did many reading about dslr, mirrorless, prices and features. I´m on a budget about $1000 to $1200, and I´m up to one of this options:

I don´t want to decide just based on the best picture quality or video quality down to pixel peeping arguments, I aways balance price/features/quality...and I confess I have an inclination to the mirrorless side of the force, although I really loved the results I´ve seen from K-30 and K-50 and the weather sealing seems very appealing to me, not to mention the DSLR emotional connection with my past SLRs, but the whole package of the NX300 is seducing me day by day.

I don´t mind being limited on lenses, I don´t mind either to use all manual lenses with adapters, actually this idea seems exciting for me.

I really would like to see a DPreview review on Samsung NX300, I don´t know why is not there yet, since its such a promising camera.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

These cameras are too different for meaningful comparison.

You need to decide whether you want to go down the DSLR route or the mirrorless route before you start choosing a camera.

They are both very good cameras, but very different.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,632
Like?
Re: The famous "which camera" question: Pentax K-50 or Samsung NX300.

Throw caution to the wind and consider  buying a Fuji XE1 with an 18-55mm lens.  While it will not cover the entire range of your two other choices, you will have a camera capable of producing excellent photos.

GustavoGoulart
Like?
In reply to Cailean Gallimore, Aug 31, 2013

Cailean Gallimore wrote:

GustavoGoulart wrote:

Hello everyone!

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

These cameras are too different for meaningful comparison.

You need to decide whether you want to go down the DSLR route or the mirrorless route before you start choosing a camera.

They are both very good cameras, but very different.

Ideed. I know they are very different cameras, but I strongly disagree about having to decide if it should be DSLR or Mirroless, I´m really not seeking for the DSLR vs Mirrorless answer. I need something that attend to my expectations. A good camera being DSLR or Mirrorless. My needs are simple, good raw material to edit, good video to edit, sharpness and good colors. I would prefer something more portable, but don´t want to loose much quality over portability. It seems , by some shots I´ve seem, that NX300 doesnt loose quality compared to the PENTAX referred here. Sorry, but they are not Chalk and Cheese, just Cheese, and there´s plenty of different shapes and flavours of cheese, but by the end of the day, they are all cheese. I disagree in a good way, not trying to be harsh here, just making a point.

Confused of Malvern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?

The reason the 'which camera?' is such a perennial question is because there is no right answer to it, just as there is no wrong camera.

It's natural to agonise over these questions but that doesn't make it any less fruitless.  The more important thing is to just buy a camera - almost any camera - and start to enjoy taking photos.  The best camera for you will be the one you'll most enjoy using so, if you are drawn to the Samsung, buy that and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 6,247Gear list
Like?

GustavoGoulart wrote:

Out of those - k-30 of course. Make sure you get the kit with WR lens though if you want weather-sealing of the camera.

Body only can be had for as low as $470 new on amazon. Even with kit, lower than that on ebay.

But I would get it with 18-135 instead .

If going for 2-lens kit for higher quality, it makes sense to spring up for 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 pair. Much more expensive, but different level of abilities.

GustavoGoulart
Like?
In reply to peevee1, Aug 31, 2013

peevee1 wrote:

GustavoGoulart wrote:

Out of those - k-30 of course. Make sure you get the kit with WR lens though if you want weather-sealing of the camera.

Body only can be had for as low as $470 new on amazon. Even with kit, lower than that on ebay.

If going for 2-lens kit for higher quality, it makes sense to spring up for 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 pair. Much more expensive, but different level of abilities.

Thanx peevee1, I was that sure too until last week, when I found NX300 results during my research, that´s why I started this post, because this choice its not that simple. Its quite a amazing job what Samsung did with this camera, I really would like to see some comparison shots, like the ones we can download here at DPREVIEW, but they seems decided not to review this unit. Did you experienced one of those two? About the lenses, I´m aware about what you said, but the budget is really strict here.

Once again, thanx.

GustavoGoulart
Like?
In reply to Confused of Malvern, Aug 31, 2013

Confused of Malvern wrote:

The reason the 'which camera?' is such a perennial question is because there is no right answer to it, just as there is no wrong camera.

It's natural to agonise over these questions but that doesn't make it any less fruitless. The more important thing is to just buy a camera - almost any camera - and start to enjoy taking photos. The best camera for you will be the one you'll most enjoy using so, if you are drawn to the Samsung, buy that and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

Thank you for ou answer.

I´m very adaptable to the way any camera must be used, I really dont mind confuse menus, buttons in odd positions, I care more about the results. Of course I don´t want a PRO giant camera result, but in the class I can afford I sure want the best possible. I have a Knonia/Minolta that came along with me for about 8 years, I´m that guy that stick with my choice until the end lol, I dont sell my camera for a new model, I´ll probably buy another, when this K30 or NX300 dies lol...that´s why for me is so iportant to me to be sure about my choice.

Thanx.

peevee1
Like?

GustavoGoulart wrote:

Ideed. I know they are very different cameras, but I strongly disagree about having to decide if it should be DSLR or Mirroless, I´m really not seeking for the DSLR vs Mirrorless answer. I need something that attend to my expectations. A good camera being DSLR or Mirrorless. My needs are simple, good raw material to edit, good video to edit, sharpness and good colors. I would prefer something more portable, but don´t want to loose much quality over portability. It seems , by some shots I´ve seem, that NX300 doesnt loose quality compared to the PENTAX referred here. Sorry, but they are not Chalk and Cheese, just Cheese, and there´s plenty of different shapes and flavours of cheese, but by the end of the day, they are all cheese. I disagree in a good way, not trying to be harsh here, just making a point.

You are right, camera is camera, choose what you need from it.

The main differences are:

1) k-30 (k-50 is the same thing with a little different body style and color choices) has good optical viewfinder, NX300 does not have any and you will always have to shoot using its rear screen, like on a phone (tilting on NX300 for extra convenience in some situations) - but on the other hand, shooting with rear screen on Pentax is almost impossible unless you use manual focus (which is made easier with focus peaking though) - AF with rear screen is too slow.

2) k-30, when equipped with a proper lens (marked WR or DA*) is dust and rain protected, NX300 is not

3) k-30 has proper 2 control dials making shooting easier in Av, Tv or M modes and the Pentax-specific TAv mode (same thing as M with AutoISO on other cameras).

4) Pentax has much wider choice of lenses, both Pentax-branded and 3rd party. Recently Pentax raised prices of their lenses beyond reasonable, but you can find used or 3rd party at good prices (like Tamron 17-50/2.8 zoom for $500).

5) And Pentax stabilizes all its lenses with IBIS, although you would not see it in viewfinder unfortunately (IBIS works better with mirrorless and EVFs). For Samsung, only a few (out of the few existing) of lenses are stabilized.

6) NX300 has WiFi - but transferring pictures and videos using SD card is much faster anyway and does not discharge the battery on your camera.

7) NX300 with lenses is a little lighter than Pentax with equal lenses.

Image quality is close enough that without special software you would not notice the difference in RAW, in JPEG Pentax is doing better in my humble opinion.

Basically, if you want to go beyond auto shooting and kit lenses, choose Pentax, otherwise, see whether you prefer to use rear screen or viewfinder. And if you prefer rear screen, there are much better choices than Samsung and even cheaper - see Olympus E-PL5/6 and NEX-5r.

peevee1
Like?

GustavoGoulart wrote:

peevee1 wrote:

GustavoGoulart wrote:

Thanx peevee1, I was that sure too until last week, when I found NX300 results during my research, that´s why I started this post, because this choice its not that simple. Its quite a amazing job what Samsung did with this camera, I really would like to see some comparison shots, like the ones we can download here at DPREVIEW, but they seems decided not to review this unit. Did you experienced one of those two? About the lenses, I´m aware about what you said, but the budget is really strict here.

Once again, thanx.

Forget about Samsung, especially with 20-50 - its range is totally inadequate even for a cheapest kit lens (no reasonable landscape and groupshot wide) and it is not even stabilized - it's a waste of money and space.

yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,950Gear list
Like?

Pentax image stabilization is in the camera body, not the lenses.  So all your shots are stabilized, including the ones you make with vintage, legacy or just plain "old" manual lenses.  That's another huge benefit of choosing the Pentax-- there's a lot of wonderful old glass out there at moderate prices and the Pentax DSLRs make it quite easy to use.  No adapter required to use an old lens-- it just mounts right up.

If you haven't guessed, I was faced with a similar dilemma to the faced by the OP. I bought a K-30.  Granted, part of that reason was that quite a bit of that old Pentax glass is in my own photo cabinet at no cost at all, but even if I hadn't had that resource available I think I still would have made the same choice.  The manual controls, weather resistance, in body stabilization, and above all that big, bright optical viewfinder tilted the scales in a pretty definitive way.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
GustavoGoulart
Like?
In reply to yardcoyote, Aug 31, 2013

yardcoyote wrote:

Pentax image stabilization is in the camera body, not the lenses. So all your shots are stabilized, including the ones you make with vintage, legacy or just plain "old" manual lenses. That's another huge benefit of choosing the Pentax-- there's a lot of wonderful old glass out there at moderate prices and the Pentax DSLRs make it quite easy to use. No adapter required to use an old lens-- it just mounts right up.

If you haven't guessed, I was faced with a similar dilemma to the faced by the OP. I bought a K-30. Granted, part of that reason was that quite a bit of that old Pentax glass is in my own photo cabinet at no cost at all, but even if I hadn't had that resource available I think I still would have made the same choice. The manual controls, weather resistance, in body stabilization, and above all that big, bright optical viewfinder tilted the scales in a pretty definitive way.

Thanks for your reply. What about the video quality, is it that bad as people say? I need to make "serious" bright and sharp movies of my growing daughter :-). I want to know about quality, not easiness of use, my main concern is quality. I saw some complains about compression artifacts, isn´t it something that could be fixed by firmware?

GustavoGoulart
Like?

peevee1 wrote:

GustavoGoulart wrote:

You are right, camera is camera, choose what you need from it.

The main differences are:

1) k-30 (k-50 is the same thing with a little different body style and color choices) has good optical viewfinder, NX300 does not have any and you will always have to shoot using its rear screen, like on a phone (tilting on NX300 for extra convenience in some situations) - but on the other hand, shooting with rear screen on Pentax is almost impossible unless you use manual focus (which is made easier with focus peaking though) - AF with rear screen is too slow.

2) k-30, when equipped with a proper lens (marked WR or DA*) is dust and rain protected, NX300 is not

3) k-30 has proper 2 control dials making shooting easier in Av, Tv or M modes and the Pentax-specific TAv mode (same thing as M with AutoISO on other cameras).

4) Pentax has much wider choice of lenses, both Pentax-branded and 3rd party. Recently Pentax raised prices of their lenses beyond reasonable, but you can find used or 3rd party at good prices (like Tamron 17-50/2.8 zoom for $500).

5) And Pentax stabilizes all its lenses with IBIS, although you would not see it in viewfinder unfortunately (IBIS works better with mirrorless and EVFs). For Samsung, only a few (out of the few existing) of lenses are stabilized.

6) NX300 has WiFi - but transferring pictures and videos using SD card is much faster anyway and does not discharge the battery on your camera.

7) NX300 with lenses is a little lighter than Pentax with equal lenses.

Image quality is close enough that without special software you would not notice the difference in RAW, in JPEG Pentax is doing better in my humble opinion.

Basically, if you want to go beyond auto shooting and kit lenses, choose Pentax, otherwise, see whether you prefer to use rear screen or viewfinder. And if you prefer rear screen, there are much better choices than Samsung and even cheaper - see Olympus E-PL5/6 and NEX-5r.

I´m Reading about the E-PL5, thanks for the tip. When reading about Olympus I focused on O-MD, but its too expensive for me now, never thought about lower models. Thanks

yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,950Gear list
Like?

Sorry, I can't help you there-- I'm strictly a still photography person. I do remember mentions in my research that Pentax DSLRs are not particularly strong in the video department, but I can't offer any details, since it doesn't affect me either way.

I missed the bit in your original post about video.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads