K-5IIs replacement

Started Aug 30, 2013 | Questions
Ladabu
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
K-5IIs replacement
Aug 30, 2013

Hello

I would like to buy DSLR with the same weather-resistance capabilities as Pentax K-5IIs.
There has to be weather-resistante lens also available and able to withstand a lot of rain.
(Pentax DA 18-135mm WR didn't have any trouble to resist week of constant rain in NZ. I had it in my hand for whole day. Lens was sheltered only in the night).

Does any system offer such an WR combination? If yes, can you suggest as well good quality lens with basic range (enough; preferable quality rather then range) or prime between 50-90mm?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Confused of Malvern
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052
Like?
Re: K-5IIs replacement
In reply to Ladabu, Aug 30, 2013

So, you were pleased with the K5IIs with 18-135mm WR lens - in which case why are you looking for a replacement?  What are you seeking that the K5IIs isn't giving you?

There are many other weather resistant lenses in the Pentax range, including the pro grade DA* lenses.

There is rumoured to be an new announcement due from Pentax on 5th September so I'd wait and see what that brings before doing anything else.

-- hide signature --

Confused of Malvern
'The greatest fool can ask more than the wisest man can answer'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rossdoyle
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Re: K-5IIs replacement
In reply to Ladabu, Aug 30, 2013

I have to second Malvern's question, why are you looking to replace your camera. Your question is basically, "I have X, and it has exactly the qualities I'm looking for. What can I get that is the same as X?" Based on this information, I'd just recommend another K-5II/IIs + WR lens. Otherwise, you have to give a list of things that you wish were different, and budget.

Ladabu
Like?
Thanks Confused of Malvern and rossdoyle
In reply to Ladabu, Aug 31, 2013

Thank you for your replies. Both of you are good detectives, as you discover something "incorrect" in my post. I would like to exlain to you both in one answer:

What I like: K-5 + K-5IIs placement of buttons and their quiet run and their fantastic funcionality design (very natural controling; just what you need as photographer), grip, light body, low noise in 800ISO, colors, rich details out of sensor, interesting and very useful shooting modes and ISO setup.

Don't like: not good WR lenses (specially 18-135WR so soft in corners, which makes the photo looks awfull), slow CA postpro, camera is good in shadow details but "fail" in bright spectrum which makes a lots of pictures looks dark - so it needs postpro to shift those details into visible result. Under-exposing while pointing to sky (literally you can not hand over camera to anyone, because you are constantly re-compenstating it.

VERY DON'T LIKE: the fail of Pentax = Hamburg service. Why? Two years ago I bought K-5 + 18-135WR. There was problem with focus in certain situation, which I could not find out. Camera went to Czech service (where I'm from) and then travel to Hamburg. Camera had been calibrated - no improovement; but because fail of focus didn't happen always, I've learned to live with it.
Many beautiful and exciting excursions under bad weather had been done without any fail (except focus).
K-5IIs came on market. I bought it with hope that fail in focus will dissapear. It didn't. I sent new camera with 18-135WR lens and description of long-therm problem to Hamburg service. I sent it two times. Camera has been two times recalibrated and something was adjusted (I don't know what, because messages from service had lack of explonations).
But I could specify the fail - around 20mm camera doesn't focus. Then I sent it for third time with higlighted problem. Finaly - problem of lens has been solved. But - after third service camera stopped to be weather-resistant.
??? Why ??? It was new camera, no accident and it has worked few month well under rain.
I have got really upset and sent it again. Then I had to wait for month to they sent me replacement.
All this anabasis took since 4th of February till about 20th of July
After this experience I lost my enthusiasm into photography and brand new K-5IIs is lying on the shelf till today without even putting battery in it (and we are sailing Greece!).
Untill today I still claim warranty sheet from service. Parently bill is enough, but I travel worldwide and I don't want to relly on German service anymore.

On the other hand I have to say that German service, even short on answering was always nice and polite and always offer help.

I love hiking and rain and enjoy mood weather photography, so system to widstang good amouth of rain is welcome. You can hold K-5 + 18-135WR all day long in your hand under the rain and it's OK.

The new possible system should resist at least some rain. It can be kept in bag, but when shooting I shouldn't need umbrella. If nothing then cover could be solution, but camera and lens still have to resist a lot of humidity.

Pentax K-5 (body) is camera of (my) dreams, because it was desing for people who loves  and understand photography, but WR lenses were done in a hurry (literally all affordables are overpriced for what they offer). If there is anything like Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited in WR version, I would be the happiest enthusiastic.
Thank you for suggesting of 5th of September. I'll try google some news from Pentax.
I have one month to decide what to do with my K-5IIs then I wanna sell it or give one more chance.
So I wonder if any system offers rain resistante camera with resistante lens.
If I have to, I will sacrifice best ever controls of K-5IIs, but I want good overall quality lens with even sharpness in small apertures for low-light as it can be in beautiful forest (no stopping to 8 and putting cam on trippod; I like to shot on go and doing progress with excursion as well. E.g. 18-135WR can manage sharp picture on 1/15sec with reasonable stable hands).
I am not rich, so new system shouldn't be extremelly expensive, but there is no need to make it budget. Quality preferable even if I have to wait and save more money. It is hobby.

Sorry for long description.

Ladabu
Like?
Re: Thanks Confused of Malvern and rossdoyle
In reply to Ladabu, Sep 15, 2013

(literally all affordables are overpriced for what they offer)

I ment: all available lenses on the market are overpriced for what they offer.

There is none of new lenses with weather-resistance capabilities 
It is shame that Pentax has designed such a great camera, but doesn't focus on making good lens for it.

asp1880
Regular MemberPosts: 278
Like?
In reply to Ladabu, Sep 16, 2013

Ladabu wrote:

If there is anything like Pentax SMC-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited in WR version, I would be the happiest enthusiastic.

That might be the Pentax DA* 55/1.4, which is weathersealed.

Or the DA* 50-135/2.8, which is also weathersealed.

Those two lenses are expensive but also very good. They are not compact like the DA70 and they are not versatile like the 18-135. But they do their particular thing very well.

Your best bet for affordable weathersealed DSLR equipment from other brands might be older, secondhand pro-level Canon (1Dmk3 or something) cameras.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Anders.

Ladabu
Like?
In reply to asp1880, Sep 23, 2013

Thank you for your reply.

DA star 55 seems to be the best weather resistant lens for K-5 (under 100mm).
DA star 50-135 is lovely sharp, but high CA is unforgivable. It is 1000euro for it.

Pentax didn't relase any new wr lenses  this autumn.
It is surprising for Pentax to create one of the best outdoor DSLR on the market and not to pay attention to make superior lens for it.

Thanks Anders

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,879Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ladabu, Sep 23, 2013

Nikon 7100 is "weather and dust sealed"

Looking around a bit on the web, there seem to be a fair selection of good weather sealed lenses to go with it.

http://bodzashphotoastro.blogspot.com/2011/05/complete-list-of-weather-resistant.html

I have had nothing but good experiences with my K5ii and 18-135 lens, but I would be looking for a change too if I had had your experiences with repair.   It seems some early versions of the 18-135 were poor.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A65 +17 more
Ladabu
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Oct 9, 2013

Thank you.
Even it is quiet hard to find any information about how much is resistant Nikon D7100, it seems to be the only substitute to K-5IIs within the same price. Most forums mention, that K-5's weather sealing is superior to D7100. How superior??.... I don't know.
But this would not be such as problem to me. I went to shop and tried to hold D7100.
I was sorry, but it was impossible to me to operete front wheel on this camera. Otherwise I would probably switched immediately.

Another new option appear to be brand new Olympus OM-D E-M1. It is still not available here in Barcelona, so I just wait.
And I wanna have look at D600 as well.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
In reply to Ladabu, Oct 9, 2013

Your dilemma is a common one.  The trouble with Nikon is that you'll have a hard time finding lenses that are both weather sealed and stabilized.  Maybe they're out there, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

The Olympus E-M1 + 12-40 is going to be an excellent combination for hiking and looks like it can take some truly nasty weather.  The question is whether you'll be happy with the m43 sensor.  Not saying you won't, but it's something to consider.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads