Looked at the new FZ70 today

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
robert james
Regular MemberPosts: 246
Like?
Looked at the new FZ70 today
11 months ago

I didn't get a chance to shoot pics/videos at the store, but did have a few observations:

- LCD is very average, not great.  It has one VERY strange behavior.  If you zoom to just a moderate telephoto, and pan the camera, the LCD smears like crazy.  I compared this to the Canon SX50 and my Pentax SLRs, and they do not have this behavior.  Odd.  Maybe the LCD has a really low refresh rate.  Not good for shooting any action, that's for sure.

- FZ70 is pretty large but fairly light.  Build quality is just OK, nothing great.  Not as nice as the FZ200 for sure.  Grip better than the SX50.

- EVF also very average, not great.

- In terms of lens speed, which is important to me, here goes.  At 20, you get 2.8.  It takes off right away as you zoom, hitting 5.6 around 80 or 100.  So basically, after 80 you have a 5.6 (or 5.9 later) camera.  Pretty slow, but a bit better than the SX50.

I wish Panasonic had

a) fixed the noisy jpegs on the FZ200, put in a better CMOS sensor (maybe 14mb max), and left the 2.8 lens alone.

b) produced a superzoom with less reach, but with a 2.8 to 4.0 lens with a better LCD.

I'm very interested in how the pics and videos of the FZ70 compare.

Gary S
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,018
Like?
Re: Looked at the new FZ70 today
In reply to robert james, 11 months ago

Yes they pretty much left out all their "good components" on the FZ70, put in the average ones. But you have to consider the price tag. From what I can see the EVF and LCD are the same ones from the FZ150, but without the articulating LCD. Not completely sure but I have them side by side along with the FZ200 also.

From your message it almost sounded like you were under the impression this was a replacement for the FZ200. Pretty sure it's not. Different line. Panasonic says the FZ200 remains in the lineup. Most of us are wondering if/when there will be a replacement on the FZ200. Personally I think there will be, just not at this time.

I've been shooting with the FZ70 for a couple days, the only thing it has over the FZ200 and FZ150 is the longer focal length. It does accommodate a teleconverter with the adaptor for 2040mm, if somebody wants to go that far.

Just about every other aspect of the camera leaves you a bit disappointed though after shooting with the FZ200. I'm not really surprised after seeing the early samples and early reviews. My main reason for buying it was simply for the longer reach. My experience with two teleconverters on the FZ200 wasn't very good but others are seeing good results depending on which TC they use. I might still look further in that direction.

The photos from the FZ70 need careful processing. They come out of the camera quite soft. They do sharpen up fairly good but you have to find the balance between noise reduction and how much sharpening to apply. I've had to get pretty aggressive on the sharpening in post to make them look decent to my eye. It does show the noise a little more. It's not a very clean looking sensor.

The FZ200 will absolutely remain my primary camera (when not using the DSLR gear) and the FZ70 will be used for outings when I know the longer focal length is needed and lighting is going to be sufficient. For now anyway. If Canon comes out with a nice replacement for the SX50, I might Ebay the FZ70 and get that.  We'll see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kurt Horsley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,289
Like?
In reply to Gary S, 11 months ago

Gary,

I was wondering if the FZ70 has flash burst like the 150/200 does.

I didn't find it in the PDF manual anywhere.

Still kind of curious about if it has an outlet for a remote shutter release too. The spec sheet says yes, B and H Photo says yes, but some say no.

Gary S
Like?
In reply to Kurt Horsley, 11 months ago

Doesn't look like it, not that I can see anyway.

Gary

robert james
Like?

Gary, how do the jpegs compare between the FZ200 and FZ70.  I've read a lot about some disappointment with the FZ200 jpegs, at even very low ISO.

Gary S
Like?

robert james wrote:

Gary, how do the jpegs compare between the FZ200 and FZ70. I've read a lot about some disappointment with the FZ200 jpegs, at even very low ISO.

The FZ200 jpegs need a little work in post also, but not as much as the FZ70. I think when they went from 12mb to 16mb it just pushed that sensor size too much even though they said it's a new sensor design with about 15% less noise.

I keep the in-camera noise reduction at -2 on the FZ200, and then use Neat Image on the computer. They come out of the camera more noisy looking but they seem to clean up nice. And that way you're not using the same amount of NR on every shot. They don't all need the same amount depending on what you're shooting.

For people that don't want to do much post processing at all, it's a matter of finding the balance between the NR settings and Sharpening settings in the camera. People have different expectations and a different point of reference so the satisfaction with the jpegs varies between them.

The lens makes a difference too of course, they really pushed the envelope with a very aggressive lens design on the FZ70. 20-1200mm. You get compromises on how good that actually looks. To be expected I guess.

Imaging-Resource.com only has studio shots with it, but you can compare the FZ70 and FZ200 side by side there. Same studio scene used for both.

The tool is at this page:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM

After choosing the FZ200, just scroll down until you see the same studio scene as the FZ70.

robert james
Like?

Gary, thanks for the info.   Very helpful.  One more question....is the mic on the FZ70 much improved re wind noise?  I shoot a lot from moving objects, and wind noise is really bad on most cameras.  Is the FZ70 a big improvement?

Gary S
Like?

I haven't tested the mic for wind noise. I plan to take it out this weekend so I'll check it in a mild breeze.

Sometimes studio shots don't tell the whole story although they can be very useful.  I've uploaded two comparisons, both 100% crops. FZ70 on the left, FZ200 on the right. Both cameras at the default image settings. Both on the same Daylight WB even though the FZ200 had a more blueish look in that area. The first comparison is a crop from a shaded area in the photo, and the 2nd was to show the color fringing difference on the lenses. That's kind of a worst case scenario right there. Most of the time it won't look that drastic.

Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,922Gear list
Like?

Gary, your impressions and postings are certainly helpful. I can't see a compelling reason to upgrade to the FZ70 from the FZ150.

It will be interesting to see if Leica makes any adjustments to the V-Lux 4 and issues a V-Lux 5, which could be something we're interested in. Although the price would be quite high. I don't see Leica using the FZ70 as the model for their V-Lux superzoom series, whereas they have done so with previous Panasonic superzooms FZ50, 100, 150 and 200.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Kevin Coppalotti
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,982
Like?
small birds

i'm still considering the fz70, for small birds i have to be 2 meters away at 600mm to fill the frame on the fz150, to be able to push that out to 4 meters would be a godsend for me.

just means planning the shoot, work with the design limits, make sure there is plenty of light. really if you want 1200mm there is not a lot to choose from. The new canon launch is due in mid September, so maybe wait and see for me.

-- hide signature --
Vandyu
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,922Gear list
Like?
Re: small birds
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, 11 months ago

One thing I've never liked about Canon's superzoom cameras is the finish of the plastic (too smooth and cheap feeling) and the design of the grip. Canon seems to focus more on style than substance.

-- hide signature --

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." (A.A. Milne)

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
Gary S
Like?
In reply to Kevin Coppalotti, 11 months ago

Kevin, if I can get a decent shot with a smaller bird filling the frame this weekend, I'll post.  The ones I've shot so far have either been in overly harsh bright light or backlit too much.

allenns
Contributing MemberPosts: 669
Like?

Got mine yesterday and just rushed out to see how good it was off the cuff at 1200mm in Macro-mode. Bird was bit jittery and some wind but seems to be pretty good. No post processing.

Yellow tit in garden at 1200mm

Clint009
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?

robert james wrote:

Gary, thanks for the info. Very helpful. One more question....is the mic on the FZ70 much improved re wind noise? I shoot a lot from moving objects, and wind noise is really bad on most cameras. Is the FZ70 a big improvement?

About wind noise...

I'm an retired field soundman, here is some tricks to help to fix that problem on any camera.

First if you can, filter or cut the low frequencies or bass.

Then with a small foam (black look better and discrete) stick of fix it on the top of the microphone. If it is not enough, you can ad a piece of cloth over or wrapt around-it. If it is to thick it will cut the high frequencies, that could be check before applied on the microphone by bring in to your ear and make a check test.

I'm also to the time to buy a new camera, an Lumix FZ200 or Lumix LF1!!!

Interesting blog here.

Thanks guys.

Clint009's gear list:Clint009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D5100 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,181Gear list
Like?
In reply to Clint009, 11 months ago

Thanks for the comparisons. I'll be sticking with my FZ150 until a real update appears, either from Panasonic or Canon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads