blue dot phenomenom

Started 8 months ago | Questions
twelvebellys
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
blue dot phenomenom
8 months ago

Strange blue dots have appeared in some of my photo's whentaking shots at night , it seems to come from a certain type of exterior light , I 'n not sure if the light is a halogen light but my photo's seem ok with led and sodium lighting . what can I use to stop this happening .

twelvebellys's gear list:twelvebellys's gear list
Nikon D5200 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
RaymondR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,721Gear list
Like?
Re: blue dot phenomenom
In reply to twelvebellys, 8 months ago

Post a specimen of the issue please.
--
RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Nikon D40 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,288
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, 8 months ago

In Sony land, we call that Zeiss.

twelvebellys
Like?
In reply to RaymondR, 8 months ago

It only happpens with a couple of lenses

theres a blue dot here  , I was just seeing which lenses work and which don;t

This is an old praktica b 35 - 70 lens mc coated its not great

They are more obvious with a 28mm carl zeiss jena , is this the lens. the dot moves with the lens

twelvebellys
Like?

these are they the blue rings and dots

AuroraProject08
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?

Looks like lens flare to me. Odd that its only with certain types of lighting.

AuroraProject08's gear list:AuroraProject08's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,483Gear list
Like?

Do you have a UV filter on that lens? It looks like a reflection of a bright light off the sensor and then back from the flat filter surface.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,360Gear list
Like?

I'd say that is lens flare, which is very common, but…

I've never seen flare quite like that — and especially that color. I suspect there are a number of factors contributing to this.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Rokinon 85mm F1.4
twelvebellys
Like?
In reply to Leonard Migliore, 8 months ago

Leonard Migliore wrote:

Do you have a UV filter on that lens? It looks like a reflection of a bright light off the sensor and then back from the flat filter surface.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

No  there are no filters employed on the lens I could  get a uv filter or lens hood for these lensesit seems to affect mostly my 28mm carl seiiss 35- 70 mm praktica zoom but not my 50mm m. zuiko and they are all multi coated lenses.

Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,459
Like?

twelvebellys wrote:

theres a blue dot here  , I was just seeing which lenses work and which don;t

They are more obvious with a 28mm carl zeiss jena , is this the lens. the dot moves with the lens

It is only to be expected... you have light sources in frame, and a dark background for the flares
to show up against.

Modern lens coatings can make the flares less noticable.... even mask them completely.

If you are using a UV filter, take it off, as filters make light-source flares more likely, especially if the filter in question is UN-coated.

And use a lens hood.... (remember, to be efficient on APS crop the lens hood needs to be DEEPER than the one originally supplied for use with 35mm film.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,759
Like?
In reply to Mark Scott Abeln, 8 months ago

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

I'd say that is lens flare, which is very common, but…

I've never seen flare quite like that — and especially that color. I suspect there are a number of factors contributing to this.

I guess the colour is a result of anti-reflective coatings. All modern lenses have such coatings, which suppress most, but not all reflections. The light which is not suppressed gives rise to reflections of various colours when one looks at the lens.

In this case, since the light has a consistent blue colour, it probably has a common cause, which presumably is light reflected back from the surface of the sensor, or the filter immediately in front of the sensor. In order for that reflected light to be visible in the picture, it must then reflect back down to the sensor, from some elements of the lens (or in other cases, from an attached UV filter).

The reason why it is visible in these types of shots is the extremely high contrast ratio between the darker areas of the subject, the very bright light source. The same light path must be possible with all types of subject, but normally it would be so weak as to be negligible.

twelvebellys
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, 8 months ago

Barrie Davis wrote:

twelvebellys wrote:

theres a blue dot here , I was just seeing which lenses work and which don;t

It is only to be expected... you have light sources in frame, and a dark background for the flares
to show up against.

Modern lens coatings can make the flares less noticable.... even mask them completely.

If you are using a UV filter, take it off, as filters make light-source flares more likely, especially if the filter in question is UN-coated.

And use a lens hood.... (remember, to be efficient on APS crop the lens hood needs to be DEEPER than the one originally supplied for use with 35mm film.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

I was thinking of a lens hood so might be whats needed.

sherwoodpete
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,759
Like?

twelvebellys wrote:

I was thinking of a lens hood so might be whats needed.

A lens hood can solve issues caused by light sources outside the picture area. If you include a light source in the picture itself, the lens hood cannot help (though it should not do any harm).

So, yes, use a lens hood, but don't expect it to be a complete solution when it is the choice of subject which is the actual cause.

hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,450
Like?
In reply to sherwoodpete, 8 months ago

A bit of education for anyone who is interested:

As others have said, this is lens flare. All lenses have this problem to some extent, though some display almost no flare due to superior manufacturing and exotic lens elements/coatings.

Zoom lenses are generally more prone to flare than fixed focal length lenses because they have many more optical elements inside the lens. Getting rid of any filters can help, too.

A lens hood will not help with photos where the hot spot is directly in the frame. But you should always use a lens hood, anyway. They minimize flare from sources just outside the frame, add contrast, and provide terrific impact protection. Quite the bang for the buck!

One last trick if you must have a hot light in the frame. Arrange the shot so the flare appears directly on top of the hot spot instead of a dark area of the picture.

twelvebellys
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, 8 months ago

Thanks  thats helpful .:-)

Carsten Pauer 2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,501Gear list
Like?

what can I use to stop this happening .

Test some more Lenses with better Coatings...

Worst Case Scenario.

Regards: Carsten

Carsten Pauer 2's gear list:Carsten Pauer 2's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F700 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +13 more
Dr JLW
Regular MemberPosts: 457
Like?
In reply to hotdog321, 7 months ago

The explanation is correct but the terminology is a bit off.

Flare is scatter around a bright object.  Wheat we are seeing is a "ghost".  The strong source is being reflected from several surfaces but most likely the sensor.  The reflected light then reflects against from a surface concave towards the sensor plane and forms an image.

They show up in either sun images of lights at night as the others ahve stated.  Anti reflection coaiting typically limit the reflection to a few tenths of a percent but when you have a lamp about 10,000 times brighter than the background the ghosts come out and can be seen.

Before AR coatings avoiding ghosts was a major headache in lens design.  Correction, particuarly of spherical aberration strongly favors surfaces concave towards the sensor and light reflected from the sensor, typically a few percent, can be reflected again by one or more of these surfaces (as the sun image shows).  Once you have a source more than ten thousand time the background ghosts start to appera.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads