Started Aug 29, 2013 | Discussions
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,685Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 70D DxO Mark
In reply to meland, Aug 30, 2013

meland wrote:

David Hull wrote:

I hope you are right. I haven't downloaded the Beta ACR to look closely at this but IMO if the banding is gone the rest is pretty much a non issue.

-- hide signature --

In that case what could that mean for the future of the International anti-banding and read out noise Association?

Change the name to International anti-read out noise association?

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rhlpetrus
Forum ProPosts: 22,987Gear list
Like?
Talk about low expectations
In reply to bobn2, Aug 30, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

ii) Nothing has been lost in terms of IQ for the dual pixel AF function.

From some images and tests (shadow recovery) I had hoped for better low ISO performance.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

rhlpetrus's gear list:rhlpetrus's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Talk about low expectations
In reply to rhlpetrus, Aug 30, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

From some images and tests (shadow recovery) I had hoped for better low ISO performance.

-- hide signature --

Renato.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhlpedrosa/
OnExposure member
http://www.onexposure.net/
Good shooting and good luck
(after Ed Murrow)

SeemsĀ that the banding problemĀ have pretty much been solved, which improves the low ISO performance in practice.

4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,582Gear list
Like?
Would be great if we could have a thorough discussion about DxOMark Methods
In reply to elfroggio, Aug 30, 2013

Many of us, including me, don't have a very good understanding of DxOMark methods of analyses.  It would help a lot if we did so we would all know what we are concerned about.  I am in the process of doing that but it will take time.

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
sdribetahi
Contributing MemberPosts: 819
Like?
In reply to Birdman7, Aug 30, 2013

The 70d is getting dragged through the coals on the non-Canon forums for it's score. The m43 guys are snickering.

I wouldn't buy a camera or not based on technical scores as much as what it's functions can do for me, so I am still excited about this camera.

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,302
Like?
Re: Talk about low expectations
In reply to rhlpetrus, Aug 30, 2013

rhlpetrus wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Realistically, until and unless Canon completely changes its sensor architecture, that won't happen. There are sound commercial reasons why they can't, and Canon users seem able to live with it. If they can't, they do what I did, buy a Nikon camera. Remember also that as a package, the 70D makes a compelling offer, and is strong in areas where extended DR is less of an issue (action photography, birding, etc). The lack of banding, if confirmed, will make it much easier to process than any previous Canon - it's very very hard to acceptably get rid of banding, it just changes to nasty coloured streaks, but the same amount of random noise is easily dealt with.

-- hide signature --

Bob

David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,382Gear list
Like?
In reply to meland, Aug 30, 2013

meland wrote:

David Hull wrote:

I hope you are right. I haven't downloaded the Beta ACR to look closely at this but IMO if the banding is gone the rest is pretty much a non issue.

-- hide signature --

In that case what could that mean for the future of the International anti-banding and read out noise Association?

I think he will have to find something else to whine about. There is always resolution, I guess or perhaps the lack of that newfangled switchable AIF Nikon just patented.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
FunckyPIX
New MemberPosts: 22Gear list
Like?
In reply to bobn2, 11 months ago

Me dishonest ? the link is just a click under your mouse, All the lecture may be a bit long and complexe but it's very instructive.

http://www.astrosurf.com/buil/d70v10d/eval.htm

if you need quotes it concludes : "the RAW format is not really raw (with noise reduction mode either ON or OFF)."

Enjoy your reading.

-- hide signature --

When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk.

FunckyPIX's gear list:FunckyPIX's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Anyone who uses DxO scores as proof...
In reply to sdribetahi, 11 months ago

that one camera is better than another deserves to be laughed at.  M4/3 and non-Canon guys aren't snickering, fools are snickering....be careful how you lump people together.  Most people don't even know what those scores mean, and when people use them as proof of anything but then require an explanation of what they're looking at it become clear very fast they'll scour the internet to justify their own existence rather than attempting to be objective.

sdribetahi wrote:

The 70d is getting dragged through the coals on the non-Canon forums for it's score. The m43 guys are snickering.

I wouldn't buy a camera or not based on technical scores as much as what it's functions can do for me, so I am still excited about this camera.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads