Galaxy NX Pricing revealed

Started Aug 29, 2013 | Discussions
simontramper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,488Gear list
Like?
Re: Galaxy NX Pricing revealed
In reply to Mhotep, Aug 30, 2013

The price just seems to me to be the price of a camera plus the price of a S4 added together and there you are. As has been said this is way way to expensive to attract anyone earning normal money. I would love this camera but cannot justify the outlay.

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,119Gear list
Like?
In reply to simontramper, Aug 30, 2013

The galaxy nx has the hw of a s3, not s4, unfortunately.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
zaurus
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
One bad news and several good ones [Re: Galaxy NX Pricing revealed]

The bad news is that a truly revolutionary camera (when was the last time we saw one?) clearly defining itself as a full-fledged computer/tablet with a specific set of attachments (mount, lenses, a dedicated photo/video pipeline) cannot be designed and produced for any cheaper -- for now. And Samsung does not seem to like the idea of a loss leader. The announced US pricing is a bit, but not too much, lower than the European one.

Whoever compares this camera to ANY other camera is a fool, because there is no head-to-head competition with matching capabilities yet.

Whoever says, oh, I can have both a good camera and a separate smartphone for the same money is missing the point that to integrate both symbiotically is hard work however bearing immediate fruit in the seamless workflow.

One good news is that because the camera has evolved naturally into a computer, sooner than later drastic drops in price will apply. Yes, for someone who views a camera as a long-term investment (like in the film days), this is not so good. But, for someone who is accustomed to take full advantage of the capabilities of the current computers, or all electronic devices for that matter -- now -- it is absolutely normal. That being said, whoever does not necessarily need the unmatched capabilities of this camera now, would be good advised to wait for six months to see a significant price drop.

Another potentially good news is that this is the MSRP price, and the retailers would be free to take off $100 or more of it.

A third good news is that with the holidays coming, the retailers will usually promote discount prices on multiple lenses and other accessories (like the ED-SEF220a flash or the EM10 mike) upon a body purchase. For someone entering the system or expanding, this will more than compensate the high introductory price of the camera body.

A fourth good news is that the camera will be unlocked, not strangled by any mobile operator. This means one can use the mobile capabilities on the same mobile plan that one already has.

Let's see how major retailers react before we push our judgement.

tecnoworld
Like?
Re: One bad news and several good ones [Re: Galaxy NX Pricing revealed]
In reply to zaurus, Aug 30, 2013

I recognize that what you say is true, but call me old fashioned, but I want physical buttons...

Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
tkpenalty
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?

It seems ridiculous, until you look at the unlikely competitor it has:
The EOS 70D...
$1200. Sensor performs worse, no 4G, no android, and not even a headphone jack to monitor audio. AF is so-so.
I get the feeling Samsung based the price of the G-NX off the 70D, and also used a phone pricing formula for it, so it will settle around $800 ish very quickly.
To think I used to laugh at this idea.

Anyway, anyone who has used the NX2000 will realise that this control layout is actually quite good. That click dial is magic.

zaurus
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, Aug 31, 2013

You are not only a witness, but a participant in a revolution -- how cool is that?

Sure, there are glaring mistakes just as in any version 0.1+ of any genius concept. But nobody but Samsung goes beyond that and they have the potential and the deep pockets to forge ahead, in a consistent manner.

BTW, i-Fn should take care of all/most of your other concerns.

tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to zaurus, Aug 31, 2013

Just if you can get used to ifn and..even in that case: no focus lock button, no fast way to turn mf on, no fast way to change drive mode...and so on

targut
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
In reply to zaurus, Aug 31, 2013

zaurus wrote:

The bad news is that a truly revolutionary camera (when was the last time we saw one?) clearly defining itself as a full-fledged computer/tablet with a specific set of attachments (mount, lenses, a dedicated photo/video pipeline)

Truly revolutionary? Are you serious? One can always shoot photos with an iPad, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy or whatever you want. Combined devices have always been marginal products, especially those that cost more than three specialized devices together (camera, smartphone, and a desktop computer for photo processing). I do not see anything here that could break this trend.

You are right,  this camera cannot be made for cheap. And at the same time it cannot be sold for such a huge price! Revolution comes when lot of people support it, and it seems that you believe consumers will support this camera. I do not believe and most responses here indicate misbelieve too. So there are two possibilities: either most of people here are wrong or you are wrong. I think it is the latter, because people here are interested consumers and their opinions show how popular this camera is going to be.

targut's gear list:targut's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung NX2000 Fujifilm X-A1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to targut, Aug 31, 2013

Sometimes it seems as if samsung is not aware of photographic market. If this camera is made to appeal young ppl, the "smartphone generation", then why is it bulky? Why an evf? Why interchangeable lenses? They could have done a product ala ricoh gr, looking cooler, fixed lens, aps-c sensor, android, big rear screen (taking almost all the back), no physical controls, no evf, about 1000$ pricepoint.

I think such a product would have sold much more.

simontramper
Like?

Sometimes it seems as if samsung is not aware of photographic market. If this camera is made to appeal young ppl, the "smartphone generation", then why is it bulky? Why an evf? Why interchangeable lenses? They could have done a product ala ricoh gr, looking cooler, fixed lens, aps-c sensor, android, big rear screen (taking almost all the back), no physical controls, no evf, about 1000$ pricepoint.

I think such a product would have sold much more.

Considering the price of this , it could have been made along the lines of the sony RX1 ie just because they could.Never intending for it to appeal to a mass market.

Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +9 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to simontramper, Aug 31, 2013

Well, one goal has been achieved: ppl are talking about the new product much more than how they talked about all other (much better) nx cameras.

simontramper
Like?

Well, one goal has been achieved: ppl are talking about the new product much more than how they talked about all other (much better) nx cameras.

Would you buy it now. Lets see what it costs in 6 months but then the NX30 will be out.

nx200USER1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046
Like?

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/samsung-galaxy-camera-nx/4505-6501_7-35796812.html

Looks like an extremely enticing product but I couldn't help but chuckle at this video. All that real estate of the the G-nx lcd screen showed barely more than a perfect reflection of the cameraman shooting the video than anything else. Luckily there is the trusty viewfinder.

jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912Gear list
Like?

I buy it full price, if full frame.

simontramper
Like?
In reply to jennyrae, Aug 31, 2013

I buy it full price, if full frame.

Sorry no it's the NX300 sensor, which is not a bad thing

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,552Gear list
Like?
Does the 6d have a quad core 1.6 GHz processor? more
In reply to 007peter, Aug 31, 2013

Bryan M wrote: I'm baffled by this pricing by Samsung. Phandroid is reporting it at $1600 which is way too much. I predict within 6 months after release we will see big price drops. Even if this was camera was $1000 I would have no interest in it. I am hoping for something more enticing from the NX30 if it shows.

Wow, $1600 is a lot money

I can easily buy a Full frame Canon 6D ($1499) with a 40mm pancake lens ($120 on ebay) for less.  Samsung product has never been cheap nor price competitive, but $1600...really?

The bottom line is these are very different cameras, they might market them to completely different. People looking at the 5D probably aren't going to be looking at the galaxy NX.

No camera today has even half the processing power that galaxy NX has in terms of general computing power. I think the NX could shine with some updated Android apps. Give it time to mature.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Raffwal
Regular MemberPosts: 350
Like?
In reply to Mhotep, Sep 1, 2013

I like my NX10 - up to a point. But boy am I glad I haven't invested more in NX. I don't quite like where the NX camera line is heading. And now the people at Samsung have clearly lost their mind. Geez, a "Facebook camera" for $1600?!

Arn
Arn
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,499Gear list
Like?
Re: Does the 6d have a quad core 1.6 GHz processor? more
In reply to viking79, Sep 1, 2013

viking79 wrote:

Bryan M wrote: I'm baffled by this pricing by Samsung. Phandroid is reporting it at $1600 which is way too much. I predict within 6 months after release we will see big price drops. Even if this was camera was $1000 I would have no interest in it. I am hoping for something more enticing from the NX30 if it shows.

Wow, $1600 is a lot money

I can easily buy a Full frame Canon 6D ($1499) with a 40mm pancake lens ($120 on ebay) for less. Samsung product has never been cheap nor price competitive, but $1600...really?

The bottom line is these are very different cameras, they might market them to completely different. People looking at the 5D probably aren't going to be looking at the galaxy NX.

No camera today has even half the processing power that galaxy NX has in terms of general computing power. I think the NX could shine with some updated Android apps. Give it time to mature.

"Does it have a quad core processor"?

That kind of stuff simply doesn't matter. Really. Not. One. Bit.

What matters, is that the camera does the job that it's supposed to do (and does it well) and that it's reasonably priced and supported with lenses, future body upgrades, other neccessary gear like flashes, etc. Canon has all this. Samsung doesn't really look that future proof to me at this moment. I have several lenses for my NX20 and before I put a € more into this system, I'm going to need some kind of proof that it's not all going down the toilet in the future. I don't want a huge mobile phone with interchangeable lenses (and bloody awful operability), I wan't a camera that works and isn't insanely expensive.

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Samsung NX20 Sony Alpha 7 +19 more
tecnoworld
Like?
In reply to Arn, Sep 1, 2013

I can't agree more on your requests.

jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 1,912Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arn, Sep 1, 2013

what futureproof? longevity? confused on what exact you need.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads