Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000

Started Aug 29, 2013 | Discussions
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,044Gear list
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, Aug 29, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

Perhaps more importantly, the main reason for the A3000 is to take advantage of the 60% facts as you said, and get huge sales based on price, competing with entry-level Canikons. I doubt that Sony will abandon the NEX line.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,044Gear list
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to GXRuser, Aug 29, 2013

GXRuser wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

The A3000 is not the first dslr styled mirrorless camera.

The Panasonic G1, Samsung NX10, Olympus OMD EM5 all are dslr mirrorless cameras that have predated the A3000. The G1 was available in early 2009.

I also have a G1 which, although limited by it's early 12 mp sensor, is a reasonably full-featured and capable camera for it's time.

There was one other Panasonic camera, based on the G1 but a real stripper model, exactly like the A3000. And that was the G10.

I have pre-ordered an A-3000. It will be a great back-up for my 5R, and I get the black lens.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to jimr, Aug 29, 2013

How hard will it be to reach the control dial and programmable buttons with your thumb while looking through the viewfinder?

Other than price, I don't see this having any advantages over entry level Nikons or Canons and some disadvantages (no PDAF for example).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,505Gear list
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to gwlaw99, Aug 30, 2013

gwlaw99 wrote:

How hard will it be to reach the control dial and programmable buttons with your thumb while looking through the viewfinder?

Other than price, I don't see this having any advantages over entry level Nikons or Canons and some disadvantages (no PDAF for example).

Well, there are advantages.

Smaller body, smaller lenses, less weight, better sensor (yes, the low end cannikons dont have their best sensor, while this one seems to have a very good one). Good AF while doing video, WYSIWYG on the EVF (this is good for beginners, and the OVF of entry level cameras are also not great). And as you say, price.

And as you say, the disadvantage is that it is not as fast focusing. But lets be clear, the entry level cannikons are not exactly the fast DSLRs either. They will be faster, and probably better at tracking, but they are still not the fast DSLR used for sports.

I really can see someone getting one of this as a first camera, and also, as a backup for people that have higher end nex cameras. As a backup, if I could get body only for 300, I would get it. What do I care, for just one day not to be able to see the screen. I set it in EVF and shot all day. Next day I see what happened to the good camera. But I saved the day, pretty cheap.

 TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 906
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to SDF, Aug 30, 2013

SDF wrote:

Sounds like same sensor from Alpha 58. Looks good.

"the sensor in the A3000 appears to be more or less identical to the one in the Alpha A58, which we reviewed just this month. We were reasonably impressed with both of those elements in the past, so there's no reason to think we won't be happy with the A3000's performance."

jimr wrote:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/sony-alpha-a3000-first-impressions-review

Interesting thing that Sony is doing with the A3000 is giving the consumer some context clues on market tiering:

Normally comparing DSLRs to mirrorless NEX feels to the consumer like comparing apples to oranges.

A3000 is kind of an apple (DSLR shaped body) AND kind of an orange (E-mount mirrorless)

By pricing their biggest offering that looks like a slightly flattened DSLR, and essentially pricing it like a DSLR, they're positioning it with the intro DSLRs that everyone buys, apples = apples.

Because that pricing is at the BOTTOM end of the E-mount range, they are indicating that when comparing oranges to oranges, the rangefinder compact Mirrorless form factor is the ELITE, UPMARKET, PROFESSIONAL model.

So cheapest orange = apple.

I'm sure their marketing department debated a lot on whether to call the A3000 a NEX or not. Personally I think they should have called it a low end NEX and positioned against low end DSLRs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Puddleglum
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to nevercat, Aug 30, 2013

nevercat wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

For me it is great news. I do like the Nex style and I can't think why Sony would throw 40% of the market away? 40% is a lot of cameras. They want to add custommers, not throw them away! The A3000 is a briliant camera, it is very cheap (show me an other camera with EVF and a very good sensor and a decent kit lens that only costs $399 at launch) It may be atractive to a group of potential mirrorless buyers and it delevers stunning pictures.

The "real"Nex cameras are for just under 50% of the people intresting, do you real think Sony will not sserve them too? Do you realy think they will loose that kind of numbers?

Again I love my Nex and don't see me buy the A3000, but for others it is a better camera then the Nex. I think the A-mount is the line that will dissapear slowly when the ILCE is catching on, as the A-mount lenses can be used on all E-mount cameras by adapter, there is no need for the (translucent) mirror when AF gets fast enough with OSPDAF, so lets not panic.

Well said. Sony will not abandon NEX unless the NEX stops selling. I can see them merging the NEX line down to fewer models though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to captura, Aug 30, 2013

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

Perhaps more importantly, the main reason for the A3000 is to take advantage of the 60% facts as you said, and get huge sales based on price, competing with entry-level Canikons. I doubt that Sony will abandon the NEX line.

I guess you didn't see this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-breakthrough-on-rumor-front-plenty-of-new-sony-e-mount-cameras-to-come-soon-and-more-e-and-a-mount-info/#comments

Quote:

"There will me many new APS-C E-mount cameras and lenses in September. One of these cameras has a unique feature, and that camera will make you happy (if the price isn’t too high). And also Canon and Nikon owners will be motivated to switch and they can perfectly use all their lenses on it"

snip

"You remember the mistake made by one of my sources saying the A3000 has in Body IS and another source saying it has a higher resolution EVF? They read wrong data in the Sony menu-manual. Even that was actually not a mistake…these are the data from another camera that Sony put by mistake on men"

I bet that is the camera he is talking about here, and the one that 'we' and 'Canon/Nikon users will like' will be the ILCE-5000 with IBIS

"The NEX-FF is confirmed(!). It is a pure NEX shape with more ergonomic grip."

ie. Rangefinder bodies will be confined to those who can afford to pay prices which have figures with the 'Leica' number of zeros on the end

"A-mount future: It’s moving more towards the PRO market and mirrorless tech."

Yup... ILCE cameras will probably start replacing both ranges - NEX and SLT from the bottom up with only the upper models in each range having the distinct characteristics (SLT mirror for A-mount and rangefinder body for E-mount)

"The NEX-7 successor suffered from delays because the NEX team priority shifted towards the cameras that I described on point 1. This is also the same reason why major firmware upgrade for the A77, NEX-7 and A99 and so on have been delayed (this week firmware update was just a small update). Sony engineers worked hard for the ASP-C A-mount cameras and NEX-FF. I have been told that its very likely the after the announcement storm in September they will finalize the firmware update work"

ie. NEX 7 replacement is on-hold until they can decide whether it (and maybe also the A77) should be replaced by an ILCE-7000 or whether the A-mount and E-mount ranges should still diverge at that point

Sony are putting a lot of 'positive spin' on this to SAR, but the 'real deal' is as I feared all along... NEX range (and SLT range) is dead at entry and mid range points.  The only quesiton now is whether they also dead at the 'enthusiast' 7-series level.  The NEX and SLT ranges only remain for certain at the FF levels which most of us cannot afford

I guess some really ambitious guy in Sony is trying to make his name by shaking the ranges up like this, but it will almost certainly end in tears...

Sometimes it's no fun to be right about stuff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to captura, Aug 30, 2013

captura wrote:

GXRuser wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

The A3000 is not the first dslr styled mirrorless camera.

The Panasonic G1, Samsung NX10, Olympus OMD EM5 all are dslr mirrorless cameras that have predated the A3000. The G1 was available in early 2009.

I also have a G1 which, although limited by it's early 12 mp sensor, is a reasonably full-featured and capable camera for it's time.

There was one other Panasonic camera, based on the G1 but a real stripper model, exactly like the A3000. And that was the G10.

I have pre-ordered an A-3000. It will be a great back-up for my 5R, and I get the black lens.

For my part I'm going to start taking an interest in the Fuji and Samsung mirrorless ranges...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Puddleglum
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, Aug 30, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

Perhaps more importantly, the main reason for the A3000 is to take advantage of the 60% facts as you said, and get huge sales based on price, competing with entry-level Canikons. I doubt that Sony will abandon the NEX line.

I guess you didn't see this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-breakthrough-on-rumor-front-plenty-of-new-sony-e-mount-cameras-to-come-soon-and-more-e-and-a-mount-info/#comments

Quote:

"There will me many new APS-C E-mount cameras and lenses in September. One of these cameras has a unique feature, and that camera will make you happy (if the price isn’t too high). And also Canon and Nikon owners will be motivated to switch and they can perfectly use all their lenses on it"

snip

"You remember the mistake made by one of my sources saying the A3000 has in Body IS and another source saying it has a higher resolution EVF? They read wrong data in the Sony menu-manual. Even that was actually not a mistake…these are the data from another camera that Sony put by mistake on men"

I bet that is the camera he is talking about here, and the one that 'we' and 'Canon/Nikon users will like' will be the ILCE-5000 with IBIS

"The NEX-FF is confirmed(!). It is a pure NEX shape with more ergonomic grip."

ie. Rangefinder bodies will be confined to those who can afford to pay prices which have figures with the 'Leica' number of zeros on the end

"A-mount future: It’s moving more towards the PRO market and mirrorless tech."

Yup... ILCE cameras will probably start replacing both ranges - NEX and SLT from the bottom up with only the upper models in each range having the distinct characteristics (SLT mirror for A-mount and rangefinder body for E-mount)

"The NEX-7 successor suffered from delays because the NEX team priority shifted towards the cameras that I described on point 1. This is also the same reason why major firmware upgrade for the A77, NEX-7 and A99 and so on have been delayed (this week firmware update was just a small update). Sony engineers worked hard for the ASP-C A-mount cameras and NEX-FF. I have been told that its very likely the after the announcement storm in September they will finalize the firmware update work"

ie. NEX 7 replacement is on-hold until they can decide whether it (and maybe also the A77) should be replaced by an ILCE-7000 or whether the A-mount and E-mount ranges should still diverge at that point

Sony are putting a lot of 'positive spin' on this to SAR, but the 'real deal' is as I feared all along... NEX range (and SLT range) is dead at entry and mid range points. The only quesiton now is whether they also dead at the 'enthusiast' 7-series level. The NEX and SLT ranges only remain for certain at the FF levels which most of us cannot afford

I guess some really ambitious guy in Sony is trying to make his name by shaking the ranges up like this, but it will almost certainly end in tears...

Sometimes it's no fun to be right about stuff

I think you're going way overboard with your conclusions. Sony is not just going to abandon the market that the NEX is currently serving by pushing only DSLR-style bodies. They know full well they would bleed customers to Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, Fuji, etc.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, Aug 30, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

They should have done a test of people's preference of a 202k-dot EVF vs a 1.4M-dot (or greater) EVF.  I'm pretty sure if given back to back samples of the two, nobody would pick that goofy 202k-dot EVF.  I would have happily paid $500 for the same camera with a decent EVF.  Surely it wouldn't have cost much more to put a reasonable EVF in there.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,196
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to AngryCorgi, Aug 30, 2013

AngryCorgi wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

They should have done a test of people's preference of a 202k-dot EVF vs a 1.4M-dot (or greater) EVF. I'm pretty sure if given back to back samples of the two, nobody would pick that goofy 202k-dot EVF. I would have happily paid $500 for the same camera with a decent EVF. Surely it wouldn't have cost much more to put a reasonable EVF in there.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

I think that the Vast majority of the public cares much more about the image quality produced than about the quality of the EVF if the cost was $100 more. We would not be seeing the great interest  about the A3000 if this was a $500 camera.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
boogieboogie
Regular MemberPosts: 194Gear list
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to Puddleglum, Aug 30, 2013

Puddleglum wrote:

nevercat wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

For me it is great news. I do like the Nex style and I can't think why Sony would throw 40% of the market away? 40% is a lot of cameras. They want to add custommers, not throw them away! The A3000 is a briliant camera, it is very cheap (show me an other camera with EVF and a very good sensor and a decent kit lens that only costs $399 at launch) It may be atractive to a group of potential mirrorless buyers and it delevers stunning pictures.

The "real"Nex cameras are for just under 50% of the people intresting, do you real think Sony will not sserve them too? Do you realy think they will loose that kind of numbers?

Again I love my Nex and don't see me buy the A3000, but for others it is a better camera then the Nex. I think the A-mount is the line that will dissapear slowly when the ILCE is catching on, as the A-mount lenses can be used on all E-mount cameras by adapter, there is no need for the (translucent) mirror when AF gets fast enough with OSPDAF, so lets not panic.

Well said. Sony will not abandon NEX unless the NEX stops selling. I can see them merging the NEX line down to fewer models though.

I don't know why anyone should worry even if Sony did abandon NEX...your current camera won't suddenly stop working and it's not like they support them with regular firmware updates. Also clearly E mount is not going away, so what ever they do with NEX/ILC it's all good.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnSingkit
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, Aug 31, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

Perhaps more importantly, the main reason for the A3000 is to take advantage of the 60% facts as you said, and get huge sales based on price, competing with entry-level Canikons. I doubt that Sony will abandon the NEX line.

I guess you didn't see this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-breakthrough-on-rumor-front-plenty-of-new-sony-e-mount-cameras-to-come-soon-and-more-e-and-a-mount-info/#comments

Quote:

"There will me many new APS-C E-mount cameras and lenses in September. One of these cameras has a unique feature, and that camera will make you happy (if the price isn’t too high). And also Canon and Nikon owners will be motivated to switch and they can perfectly use all their lenses on it"

snip

"You remember the mistake made by one of my sources saying the A3000 has in Body IS and another source saying it has a higher resolution EVF? They read wrong data in the Sony menu-manual. Even that was actually not a mistake…these are the data from another camera that Sony put by mistake on men"

I bet that is the camera he is talking about here, and the one that 'we' and 'Canon/Nikon users will like' will be the ILCE-5000 with IBIS

"The NEX-FF is confirmed(!). It is a pure NEX shape with more ergonomic grip."

ie. Rangefinder bodies will be confined to those who can afford to pay prices which have figures with the 'Leica' number of zeros on the end

"A-mount future: It’s moving more towards the PRO market and mirrorless tech."

Yup... ILCE cameras will probably start replacing both ranges - NEX and SLT from the bottom up with only the upper models in each range having the distinct characteristics (SLT mirror for A-mount and rangefinder body for E-mount)

"The NEX-7 successor suffered from delays because the NEX team priority shifted towards the cameras that I described on point 1. This is also the same reason why major firmware upgrade for the A77, NEX-7 and A99 and so on have been delayed (this week firmware update was just a small update). Sony engineers worked hard for the ASP-C A-mount cameras and NEX-FF. I have been told that its very likely the after the announcement storm in September they will finalize the firmware update work"

ie. NEX 7 replacement is on-hold until they can decide whether it (and maybe also the A77) should be replaced by an ILCE-7000 or whether the A-mount and E-mount ranges should still diverge at that point

Sony are putting a lot of 'positive spin' on this to SAR, but the 'real deal' is as I feared all along... NEX range (and SLT range) is dead at entry and mid range points. The only quesiton now is whether they also dead at the 'enthusiast' 7-series level. The NEX and SLT ranges only remain for certain at the FF levels which most of us cannot afford

I guess some really ambitious guy in Sony is trying to make his name by shaking the ranges up like this, but it will almost certainly end in tears...

Sometimes it's no fun to be right about stuff

I am told the data is different in Japan and Asian market (am looking for confirmation). The NEX RF form factor will survive but the low-end may not in the US.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JohnSingkit
Regular MemberPosts: 329
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to JohnSingkit, Aug 31, 2013

JohnSingkit wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Quote:

"There will me many new APS-C E-mount cameras and lenses in September. One of these cameras has a unique feature, and that camera will make you happy (if the price isn’t too high). And also Canon and Nikon owners will be motivated to switch and they can perfectly use all their lenses on it"

snip

"You remember the mistake made by one of my sources saying the A3000 has in Body IS and another source saying it has a higher resolution EVF? They read wrong data in the Sony menu-manual. Even that was actually not a mistake…these are the data from another camera that Sony put by mistake on men"

I bet that is the camera he is talking about here, and the one that 'we' and 'Canon/Nikon users will like' will be the ILCE-5000 with IBIS

"The NEX-FF is confirmed(!). It is a pure NEX shape with more ergonomic grip."

ie. Rangefinder bodies will be confined to those who can afford to pay prices which have figures with the 'Leica' number of zeros on the end

"A-mount future: It’s moving more towards the PRO market and mirrorless tech."

Yup... ILCE cameras will probably start replacing both ranges - NEX and SLT from the bottom up with only the upper models in each range having the distinct characteristics (SLT mirror for A-mount and rangefinder body for E-mount)

"The NEX-7 successor suffered from delays because the NEX team priority shifted towards the cameras that I described on point 1. This is also the same reason why major firmware upgrade for the A77, NEX-7 and A99 and so on have been delayed (this week firmware update was just a small update). Sony engineers worked hard for the ASP-C A-mount cameras and NEX-FF. I have been told that its very likely the after the announcement storm in September they will finalize the firmware update work"

ie. NEX 7 replacement is on-hold until they can decide whether it (and maybe also the A77) should be replaced by an ILCE-7000 or whether the A-mount and E-mount ranges should still diverge at that point

Sony are putting a lot of 'positive spin' on this to SAR, but the 'real deal' is as I feared all along... NEX range (and SLT range) is dead at entry and mid range points. The only quesiton now is whether they also dead at the 'enthusiast' 7-series level. The NEX and SLT ranges only remain for certain at the FF levels which most of us cannot afford

I guess some really ambitious guy in Sony is trying to make his name by shaking the ranges up like this, but it will almost certainly end in tears...

Sometimes it's no fun to be right about stuff

I am told the data is different in Japan and Asian market (am looking for confirmation). The NEX RF form factor will survive but the low-end may not in the US.

On second thought, I think the RF form factor NEX will continue with full support: it currently has most of the development done for all the models except for the 7 successor; production line and parts are in place and these models will be produced for other markets, so even if 60% of the US market is going for the DSLR form factor, there is still a large segment who like it. Not a big deal to continue the NEX line and offer a broader selection of models to compete against other manufacturers.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to parallaxproblem, Aug 31, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

Consumers are misinformed and at a very basic level assume that bigger is better. This message is constantly reinforced by pro-sports and fashion photog who are walking advertisements for big black boxes.

With that said, I don't see dslr styled E-mount posing an issue for those who prefer NEX style crop cameras. If Sony can grow the system then we all benefit with better lens support, firmware, marketing etc.

One can't fault Sony for building something to match consumer's expectations.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,402
Like?
It will take the best photos at its price. That's big.
In reply to jimr, Aug 31, 2013

The A3000 is pretty much a lock to take the best photos at its price point.  That is big.  In fact I guess that the IQ will be better than a lot of cameras costing up to $1000, not all, but a lot of them.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AngryCorgi
Contributing MemberPosts: 914Gear list
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to jimr, Sep 6, 2013

jimr wrote:

AngryCorgi wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

They should have done a test of people's preference of a 202k-dot EVF vs a 1.4M-dot (or greater) EVF. I'm pretty sure if given back to back samples of the two, nobody would pick that goofy 202k-dot EVF. I would have happily paid $500 for the same camera with a decent EVF. Surely it wouldn't have cost much more to put a reasonable EVF in there.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

I think that the Vast majority of the public cares much more about the image quality produced than about the quality of the EVF if the cost was $100 more. We would not be seeing the great interest about the A3000 if this was a $500 camera.

Nonsense.  At $500 it would be $50 LESS than an a58 (the #3 best selling Sony "quasi-DSLR"), whilst supporting the E-mount line and sporting the same excellent OLED EVF in the a58.  The EVF in the a58 has a better color gamut and is more than 700% the resolution of this tiny POS in the a3000.  Anyone who *thinks* this is an acceptable EVF most likely has never tried a 200k EVF.

-- hide signature --

-AC-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,636
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to TiagoReil, Sep 7, 2013

TiagoReil wrote:

captura wrote:

SDF wrote:

Sounds like same sensor from Alpha 58. Looks good.

"the sensor in the A3000 appears to be more or less identical to the one in the Alpha A58, which we reviewed just this month. We were reasonably impressed with both of those elements in the past, so there's no reason to think we won't be happy with the A3000's performance."

jimr wrote:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/sony-alpha-a3000-first-impressions-review

20 mp but no hybrid PDAF.

This is the same game sony plays in the nex line.

I think Sony are being very fair to the customer. The most important thing in the camera is the sensor. By putting the money into the sensor in the lower models Sony give the user the best possible image quality for the price.

Pay more and you get more features, nice to have, but none of which is absolutely essential.

Put a top quality Zeiss lens on this camera and you will get excellent images, indistinguishable from those given by the same lens on the NEX-7.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,636
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to TiagoReil, Sep 7, 2013

TiagoReil wrote:

And as you say, the disadvantage is that it is not as fast focusing. But lets be clear, the entry level cannikons are not exactly the fast DSLRs either. They will be faster, and probably better at tracking, but they are still not the fast DSLR used for sports.

I really can see someone getting one of this as a first camera, and also, as a backup for people that have higher end nex cameras. As a backup, if I could get body only for 300, I would get it. What do I care, for just one day not to be able to see the screen. I set it in EVF and shot all day. Next day I see what happened to the good camera. But I saved the day, pretty cheap.

The A3000 is 1000 times better than my first camera. Any teenager who gets one for Christmas will be very lucky.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,636
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to Keit ll, Sep 7, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

I think younger users with good eyes will find it perfectly usable.

After all, look at the viewfinders that were provided for popular roll-film cameras in the 1930s. Tiny little reflections that were barely visible - yet people managed.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads