Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
Aug 29, 2013
SDF
SDF
Senior MemberPosts: 2,131Gear list
Like?
Re: Another First Impressions Review Of The A3000
In reply to jimr, Aug 29, 2013

Sounds like same sensor from Alpha 58. Looks good.

"the sensor in the A3000 appears to be more or less identical to the one in the Alpha A58, which we reviewed just this month. We were reasonably impressed with both of those elements in the past, so there's no reason to think we won't be happy with the A3000's performance."

jimr wrote:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/sony-alpha-a3000-first-impressions-review

SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 15,697Gear list
Like?
In reply to SDF, Aug 29, 2013

SDF wrote:

"the sensor in the A3000 appears to be more or less identical to the one in the Alpha A58, which we reviewed just this month. We were reasonably impressed with both of those elements in the past, so there's no reason to think we won't be happy with the A3000's performance."

jimr wrote:

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/sony-alpha-a3000-first-impressions-review

20 mp but no hybrid PDAF.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Aug 29, 2013

captura wrote:

SDF wrote:

jimr wrote:

This is the same game sony plays in the nex line.

NexX3, NEx5X and Nex6 (replace the X by a letter of the current line) have more or less the same sensor. But they add more and more functionality as they go up in price. Nex3 has no PDAF also, has les support that the nex-5, and the nex-6 adds more things to the 5. An integrated VF, a hot-shoe, etc.

There is no reason not to think that the next AX000 (replace X by a number bigger than 3) wont start adding things. Like PDAF, like better EVF, like BETTER screen (with movement), like more buttons and dials, like more high end functionality, like IBIS (probably for the higher ones, like a A7000), like a FF sensor (A9000), etc. Of course price will grow accordingly.

When you see the big picture, is like sony releasing only the nex-3, and judging the whole system that is about to be released only by the nex-3.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,256
Like?
In reply to captura, Aug 29, 2013

captura wrote:

SDF wrote:

jimr wrote:

Would you rather Sony compromised the sensor to get that low a price at launch? The IQ was not compromised so something less important had to go to achieve the incredibly low launch price ...I believe Sony made the right choice giving IQ the top priority.

Bottom line is the A3000 should give the best image quality out there at that launch price point. Give it a few months and as is always the case the price will drop even further giving an incredible image quality bang for the buck....

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

IMO, the only key thing missing is articulating LCD. It is an important consideration for me, even if it were as simple as on NEX-3. And I blame having used Sony F828 for almost ten years that allowed LCD adjustment (swiveling lens-body in that case). Otherwise, a VERY good entry camera.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 29, 2013

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,587
Like?
In reply to Keit ll, Aug 29, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately.

"and for all you Instagrammers out there, there are 15 picture effects, and there's also WiFi connectivity to get your pictures to the cloud."

This seemed a little odd in the write up. I haven't seen any other write up saying the camera had wifi. Think this is just eye-fi support the author is talking about?

Thank you
Russell

Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Aug 29, 2013

In short ,I don't know ! This whole launch seems to be confusing , facts seem to be emerging as time goes on. Why Sony have not prepared a full & detailed specification list that everyone can rely on is a bit of a mystery ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Matt_A
Forum MemberPosts: 91Gear list
Like?

I think the A3000 is a great little camera for it's price. No chance of me getting one, but if it's the highest level camera someone owns it won't disappoint.

I have an A700, A57, and NEX-5R already. Depending on price I'll be adding either the A7000 or A5000 to that group when they're announced.

Matt_A's gear list:Matt_A's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7S +4 more
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,916Gear list
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

This mini review is fair & balanced & sums up the ILC-3000 accurately. Given its initial asking price this camera deserves to sell well & is an excellent entry level camera. It seems that Sony have finally accepted that an eye-level VF is needed , I just hope that the quality of the EVF is sufficient for the job.

It is understandable that many current NEX owners are a little sceptical because they may already have more capable cameras & , in addition , they are left feeling a little unsure as to where the current NEX line may go.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Even more so after reading the review!

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'.  For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,553Gear list
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

IMO, the only key thing missing is articulating LCD. It is an important consideration for me, even if it were as simple as on NEX-3. And I blame having used Sony F828 for almost ten years that allowed LCD adjustment (swiveling lens-body in that case). Otherwise, a VERY good entry camera.

Yeah, this is my conclusion as well. I thought this would be the camera I'd get if my 5N died, but a big part of the appeal of my 5N is the articulating and touch LCD. The A3000 just needed that to be a contender for my bag some day. Ah well . . . fingers crossed that my 5N makes it another year.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 OnePlus One +2 more
Diacyclops81
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, Aug 29, 2013

Amen to that, was hoping for a Sony knockoff of an NX20...that is, similar but more reliable, better quality. . Slim, e-mount, EVF, flip-up LCD at least on par with whats on a superzoom bridge cam for $350, metal lens mount, tripod socket that doesn't flex or break,  and an improved(?) 20 mp sensor...I didn't care what my 5n looked like when I got it: here was a digital back for about 30 different legacy lenses that turned out much better than I expected. So, still waiting to UPGRADE a little. Maybe an offering in Sept will be what I need. Maybe an A5000 with the aforementioned attributes with a price point of say 550 for the body.  Til then, keep on clicking little 5n.

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

"and for all you Instagrammers out there, there are 15 picture effects, and there's also WiFi connectivity to get your pictures to the cloud."

This seemed a little odd in the write up. I haven't seen any other write up saying the camera had wifi. Think this is just eye-fi support the author is talking about?

Thank you
Russell

I recall seeing NFC support in the specs posted on SAR.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515Gear list
Like?

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Thank you
Russell

I recall seeing NFC support in the specs posted on SAR.

NFC was mentioned for the new nex-5X (X replaces the current letter, cant remember it). Both cameras were release the same day. That may be your confusion, or SARs confusion and reported it incorrectly. The a3000 is a very cheap camera, maybe an a5000 will have it, at some point.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,118
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, Aug 29, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Quote: "During our product briefing, Sony reps revealed that according to internal study data, 60% of likely system camera buyers preferred DSLR styling to the typical rangefinder-style mirrorless design. Sony clearly took those numbers to heart, and the result is its first DSLR-shaped mirrorless camera, which draws its visual cues in equal parts from the A-mount Alpha A58 and the Cyber-shot HX300 superzoom."

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

For me it is great news. I do like the Nex style and I can't think why Sony would throw 40% of the market away? 40% is a lot of cameras. They want to add custommers, not throw them away! The A3000 is a briliant camera, it is very cheap (show me an other camera with EVF and a very good sensor and a decent kit lens that only costs $399 at launch) It may be atractive to a group of potential mirrorless buyers and it delevers stunning pictures.

The "real"Nex cameras are for just under 50% of the people intresting, do you real think Sony will not sserve them too? Do you realy think they will loose that kind of numbers?

Again I love my Nex and don't see me buy the A3000, but for others it is a better camera then the Nex. I think the A-mount is the line that will dissapear slowly when the ILCE is catching on, as the A-mount lenses can be used on all E-mount cameras by adapter, there is no need for the (translucent) mirror when AF gets fast enough with OSPDAF, so lets not panic.

GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
In reply to parallaxproblem, Aug 29, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Sony clearly want to move NEX, or should I say E-mount 'out of the niche'. For those of us who entered into NEX system because we prefered it over the mainstream this is very bad news

The A3000 is not the first dslr styled mirrorless camera.

The Panasonic G1, Samsung NX10, Olympus OMD EM5 all are dslr mirrorless cameras that have predated the A3000. The G1 was available in early 2009.

captura
Like?

jimr wrote:

captura wrote:

SDF wrote:

jimr wrote:

Would you rather Sony compromised the sensor to get that low a price at launch? The IQ was not compromised so something less important had to go to achieve the incredibly low launch price ...I believe Sony made the right choice giving IQ the top priority.

Bottom line is the A3000 should give the best image quality out there at that launch price point. Give it a few months and as is always the case the price will drop even further giving an incredible image quality bang for the buck....

I think it's like this: The Sony Alpha division, which is (probably) completely separate entity from the NEX people, were charged with designing a cheap NEX-analogue but using their own existing but underused items from the alpha parts bin. So they raided the A-58, the A-37 and got a cheap EVF from Cybershot. The 20.1 mp sensor from the A-58 is excellent but old-tech. No IBIS. And ISO is limited at 16000, same as the A-58.

I agree with your second statement, in fact I have pre-ordered one for myself.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?

Russell Evans wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Thank you
Russell

Good point.

This camera can operate 3 distictly different kinds of memory cards, but wifi is not built into a camera, but into at least one of these cards as a specialty item. Maybe.

Speaking of eyes..the EFV does noteven have the auto. on/off switch, forgot the name.

So, wi-fi? I doubt it, this is a bare-bones stripper model.

captura
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

In short ,I don't know ! This whole launch seems to be confusing , facts seem to be emerging as time goes on. Why Sony have not prepared a full & detailed specification list that everyone can rely on is a bit of a mystery ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Hah! Strange thing is they even posted the wrong specifications for the first 15 hours, showing weight and dimensions from a p & s camera! It was very funny because nobody caught that one; DPR and everyone else just copied Sony's false information!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads