Sony tries to make an NX20

Started Aug 29, 2013 | Discussions
Diacyclops81
Forum MemberPosts: 98
Like?
Sony tries to make an NX20
Aug 29, 2013

Admission: I have a NEX 5n. Wouldn't mind a Sony knockoff of a NX20 ( or NX30????)...but compare their A3000 with the features in the NX20...there's no articulating back, the lcd is low res, there's no IBIS for old timers like me with a bit of the shakes.  DP initial impressions (and mine) are negative. Samsung has an open door...how about a NX30 with quality construction, updated sensor etc. Sony seems rudderless, up the ante.

Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,483Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony tries to make an NX20
In reply to Diacyclops81, Aug 29, 2013

I agree but I think Samsung's future NX cameras will be more and more smartphone-like and appeal less to those of us more traditional photographers who like viewfinders, control dials, etc. I do not want to wave my hands in front of my field of vision to operate anything.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 2,170Gear list
Like?

it is very poor design by Sony. can buy much better cameras for same price.

simontramper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gesture, Aug 29, 2013

I agree but I think Samsung's future NX cameras will be more and more smartphone-like and appeal less to those of us more traditional photographers who like viewfinders, control dials, etc. I do not want to wave my hands in front of my field of vision to operate anything.

You know on the Galaxy Nx you can alter your settings using the ifuntion and the top dial without touching the back screen or waving your hands around .

simontramper's gear list:simontramper's gear list
Samsung NX200 Samsung Galaxy NX Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +9 more
tjobbe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to simontramper, Aug 29, 2013

simontramper wrote:

You know on the Galaxy Nx you can alter your settings using the ifuntion and the top dial without touching the back screen or waving your hands around .

and do not forget voice control via Mic and potentially via BT Headset...options are in millions

BTW: in about a year from now you will read a lot of postings that will deal with how Samsung NX30 design is a blantant copy of the A3000 being a prove for Samsung only able to copy from Sony....

tjobbe's gear list:tjobbe's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX30 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +19 more
Coldamus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,816
Like?
In reply to simontramper, Aug 29, 2013

What about with a manual lens attached?

Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,847
Like?

Bit unfair comparing the budget $400 A3000 with the very expensive $1000 NX20. (These are the suggested retail prices).

I think Sony are trying to open up mirrorless to the more budget conscious market. Up to now the entry level DSLR/SLT has been the camera for people with limited funds. If the IQ is better than my A37 I may get an adapter and switch to it. I have bought my Alpha lenses for next to nothing and it is a very affordable route to APS-C photography in a way that NX is not.

Also the Sony stuff is very reliable and when you switch it on you know it will work perfectly until you switch it off. No pulling the battery. Not sure how the current stuff is but my NX11 was a shocker and once bitten twice shy.

Diacyclops81 wrote:

Admission: I have a NEX 5n. Wouldn't mind a Sony knockoff of a NX20 ( or NX30????)...but compare their A3000 with the features in the NX20...there's no articulating back, the lcd is low res, there's no IBIS for old timers like me with a bit of the shakes. DP initial impressions (and mine) are negative. Samsung has an open door...how about a NX30 with quality construction, updated sensor etc. Sony seems rudderless, up the ante.

Zdman
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Aug 29, 2013

Very unfair to compare two very differently priced camera's. I may pick up one of these for my manual lenses just a bit worried about the low res screen and viewfinder. The samsung still only allows magnifcation in the centre, colour casts the sensor and has no focus peaking (except for the latest nx300) which makes it a pain compared to sony and canon for manual lenses (Native lenses are of course superb).

jennyrae
Senior MemberPosts: 2,170Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greynerd, Aug 29, 2013

do not understand though why make camera too poor of design even of very good sensor. is Sony afraid with good spec, will make other Nex camera lose sales? do not believe with few addition of features make $400 camera turn $800.

Gesture
Like?
In reply to jennyrae, Aug 29, 2013

I know what you mean, as if "you can only afford $400, this is all the camera you are getting."

This is what I like about Samsung, the NX1000 may have a different processor, RAW buffer, etc. but the interface and capabilities, including sensor, kit lens, WiFi, iFunction, picture modes, as far as I can tell, are full-featured. Nothing matches the NX1000/20-50 when it hit $300.

wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to jennyrae, Aug 29, 2013

jennyrae wrote:

do not understand though why make camera too poor of design even of very good sensor. is Sony afraid with good spec, will make other Nex camera lose sales? do not believe with few addition of features make $400 camera turn $800.

So have you actually used an A3000 or how do you know?

The EVF is a 1.44M dot like most mirrorless have them.

You can bet that the performance (RAW burst, processing) will be like all the other Sony models.

So if you're looking for a cheap mirrorless DSLR-styled body with an EVF and APS-C sensor then there's no better offer at the moment.

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +3 more
Gesture
Like?
In reply to wictred, Aug 29, 2013

I thought I was supporting your comments. My apologies.  I do think this new Sony is likely a great value, as is the Samsung NX1000.

Kaziklu
Contributing MemberPosts: 727Gear list
Like?

I think the A3000 is a low cost toe dip into that form factor. The NX20 is the only Mirrorless with this form factor that fits a Grown-ups hands. (I'm look at you MFT) I think we will see more A Series mirrorless bodies, and I'm not going to lie.. it's got me pleased. 
I learned Photography the NX11 and NX20... I tired a OFV recently... as clear as it was, I prefer the EVF for the functionality it provides me when shooting. And if Samsung isn't going to allow Third Party Lens support, and isn't going to provide stronger buffers and processors in it's cameras I have no issue with switching. I would like to stay with Samsung though, I really do enjoy shooting with the NX20 when it is working as it should.

timedrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kaziklu, Aug 29, 2013

I'm starting to entertain the possibility that two different brands can have cameras on the market simultaneously that are both good. I know it sounds far fetched, but maybe it's true, Samsung and Sony both have cameras out, at the same time,  that are good.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
Coldamus
Like?
In reply to wictred, Aug 30, 2013

wictred wrote:

So have you actually used an A3000 or how do you know?

At least he/she bothered to read the specs and/or Dpreview's preview.. You obviously didn't.

The EVF is a 1.44M dot like most mirrorless have them.

No it is not. It is 200k dot. To quote dpreview:

"The Sony A3000's electronic viewfinder is small and fairly low resolution by today's standards, with a 201,600-dot LCD, with a choice of auto or manual brightness adjustment. A diopter wheel on the left side of the viewfinder allows adjustment from -4.0 to +3.5."

You can bet that the performance (RAW burst, processing) will be like all the other Sony models.

Maybe so, maybe not. According to Imaging Resource: "Ordinarily, the A3000 will capture just 2.5 frames per second, but if you're willing to lock exposure and focus from the first frame, this can be increased to a still-sedate 3.5 fps. Burst depth is 13 frames in JPEG mode, and drops to just five frames if you add raw files."

From the Photoblographer: "We were handling a pre-production unit, but the focusing on this camera has to be the slowest amongst any of the mirrorless cameras from Sony that we’ve ever held. It felt even a bit slower than an offering from Fujifilm. And with that in mind, it didn’t feel like a Sony at all. However, we’re willing to blame it on the fact that we handled a prototype and that the lenses we had on hand were also prototypes."

So if you're looking for a cheap mirrorless DSLR-styled body with an EVF and APS-C sensor then there's no better offer at the moment.

Only because there are no others. All it has going for it is the sensor and the price.

The main reason everyone is so down on it is the 230k dot screen and 200k dot evf resolution. You'd be hard pressed to find a $75 point and shoot today with worse screen res. The evf res. is even worse than the 240k dots of my 10 year old Olympus C-760 superzoom which is dreadful.

Personally I wouldn't care about the screen if the evf was good enough (or vice versa) but with both being so low res., it is a waste of a good sensor. The price is ok but was there any need to penny-pinch so much when they could have used the decent screens and evfs they already make for their point & shoots and superzooms.   If they had done that, even I would be interested.

wictred
Senior MemberPosts: 1,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Aug 30, 2013

It is a 1.44M evf. The 200k evf was a false info from SAR ... just like the rest of their BS.

So for 400$ msrp(!) you get an emount camera with evf and an A58 sensor ...

wictred's gear list:wictred's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art +3 more
Greynerd
Senior MemberPosts: 3,847
Like?
In reply to timedrun, Aug 30, 2013

This Sony has blown out the water the marketing ploy by Samsung, Olympus, Sony themselves with NEX and to a lesser extent Panasonic that to have a built in flash and EVF you are forced to buy the top price $1000 premium model else you have to make do with a stripped down model sans everything.

This must be a good thing and excellent news for everyone. Who knows you might see an affordable at release NX with all the missing bits put back in.

timedrun wrote:

I'm starting to entertain the possibility that two different brands can have cameras on the market simultaneously that are both good. I know it sounds far fetched, but maybe it's true, Samsung and Sony both have cameras out, at the same time, that are good.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

Coldamus
Like?
In reply to wictred, Aug 30, 2013

wictred wrote:

It is a 1.44M evf. The 200k evf was a false info from SAR ... just like the rest of their BS.

So for 400$ msrp(!) you get an emount camera with evf and an A58 sensor ...

What has Sony Alfa Rumors got to do with anything?   I quite clearly stated that I was quoting  info from Dpreview.  That data was cut and pasted word for word.   The specs were given to Dpreview directly by Sony.

If you were right, that would make a difference but unless you can provide a link to specs on Sony's own site or a reputable review site, I am inclined to believe Dpreview.  200k dots was regarded as inadequate 10 years ago.  Today it is ludicrous.

Zdman
Regular MemberPosts: 196
Like?
In reply to Coldamus, Aug 30, 2013

The Dpreview first impression clearly indicate that its a low res view finder (so not 1.4) and they've actually had a hands on with the actual camera. Its their main critism.

Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 911
Like?
In reply to Diacyclops81, Aug 30, 2013

Admission: I have a NEX 5n. Wouldn't mind a Sony knockoff of a NX20 ( or NX30????)...but compare their A3000 with the features in the NX20...there's no articulating back, the lcd is low res, there's no IBIS for old timers like me with a bit of the shakes.  DP initial impressions (and mine) are negative. Samsung has an open door...how about a NX30 with quality construction, updated sensor etc. Sony seems rudderless, up the ante.

Sony is rudderless? Get serious here. I am a Korean, a huge Samsung fan, and kind of a Sony critic in all areas other than cameras. But I have to say that Sony is definitely doing a better job in cameras.

The A3000 in a $399 MSRP camera.

The NX20 was Samsung's $1099 MSRP flagship camera now discounted to $549.

So you're comparing the features of the top of the line Samsung NX mount with Sony's CHEAPEST E-mount offering. A Sony that is positioned well below Samsung NX1000's MSRP, and right about at the NX1000's street price.

Now Samsung is offering a Galaxy camera for $1700. They need to focus on the cameras operating as great cameras, while innovating in the tech ideas. I keep expecting and wanting Samsung to finally come around to making terrific cameras but so far they're just "OK", and way overpriced as cameras for what you get.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads