Why the Nikon 1 system does not sell well....

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,853Gear list
Like?
Why the Nikon 1 system does not sell well....
Aug 28, 2013

There is an easy explanation...  PRICE!

The V2 is $800 at B&H without a lens. Over $1000 with a slow 30mm-90mm (10-30mm) zoom.

Very few folks will pay $800 for a camera lacking features with a tiny sensor when a PnS can be had for $200 and a APS-C DSLR for around $500.

Nikon needs to pull their head out of their rear and make some changes.  The 1 system would likely do very well if it was priced around $600 with a lens. That's what the Nex5R sells for.

There is no need for a huge tirade on features, quality, pinkness, size or whatever.   Nikon screwed the pooch on this deal when they priced a glorified PnS at a price most consumers think is a joke.  When the V2 drops below $500, it will move without a doubt.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +7 more
NEX5R Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the Nikon 1 system does not sell well....
In reply to RonFrank, Aug 28, 2013

Some of us enjoy the V2 just as it is, myself included. I would not hesitate to spend the same amount on the V2 again, if I had to make the choice.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SunnyFlorida
Contributing MemberPosts: 831Gear list
Like?

Nikon is aware, they just don't care; I think  it's part of  their strategy to help D-SLR sales, their logic is that a consumer will be turned off by the $800 price tag, so the sales person will say, "no worries, you can buy this lovely Nikon D5200 for $650 and it has a larger sensor, VR lens, standard hot shoe,articulating LCD, it's 24MP vs 14mp and it received the Gold Award from Dpreview, all of this for $150 less"

IVN
IVN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,598Gear list
Like?
Mother of god!

New crap-thread every day. Instead of doing something constructive, like, you know, TAKING AND POSTING PHOTOS, some people just can't stand others being happy. They have to spoil it anyway they can.

Nikon1user
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Agreed. Love my V2.
In reply to Alpha Tech, Aug 28, 2013
No text.
razormac
Contributing MemberPosts: 724Gear list
Like?
Re: Mother of god!
In reply to IVN, Aug 29, 2013

I paid $1096 USD for my V2 with 10-100mm and haven't regretted it one bit.

razormac's gear list:razormac's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
crazygold
Regular MemberPosts: 369Gear list
Like?
In reply to razormac, Aug 29, 2013

chalk me up as another happy camper with the V2

crazygold's gear list:crazygold's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +1 more
jwhphotos
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?
Me too
In reply to crazygold, Aug 29, 2013
-- hide signature --

John

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,089Gear list
Like?
In reply to RonFrank, Aug 29, 2013

I like my (discounted) V1 and my (full price) V2.   But the OP is exactly correct.   These cameras are overpriced.

The really odd thing, as pointed out by Thom Hogan, is that for a price that's higher than the D3200, a V1/V2 has approximately 1/10th as many parts.  It CAN"T cost that much to build.   How can Nikon make a profit on a low-end DSLR and ....

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
cyuill2007
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?

I have noticed that the lacklustre sales of Nikon 1 cameras and lenses have caused a number of stores in my area to stop stocking and selling any Nikon 1 items. If fewer retailers sell a system then the result will be decreased overall sales for that system in the future. Nikon has to do something to woo those retailers and get them back into the Nikon 1 fold.

I agree that initial pricing of the cameras is a big part of the problem. Given the prices and feature sets of competing mirrorless cameras (and even Nikon's D3xxx and D5xxx DSLRs), the Nikon 1 cameras are too expensive at the start for the features that they have. I have recently seen the Nikon V2 with kit lens selling locally for around $750. That price seems to me to be a much more reasonable starting price than $900. Perhaps the V2's successor should be priced at $600-700 with a 10-30mm kit lens - unless Nikon decides to add some pretty skookum features that makes it truly competitive with better-specified mirrorless cameras like the OM-D E-M5 or NEX 6 that initially commanded prices (with kit lenses) that were not much higher than $900.

But another big problem with the system is that Nikon doesn't seem to know what types of photographers will actually buy Nikon 1 equipment. I think they have been aiming the system at compact-camera users, hoping that they would get the urge to upgrade to a "better camera". But those of us who are singing the praises of the Nikon 1 system and buying the products are enthusiasts, many of us looking for smaller and lighter alternatives to DSLRs and their lenses. Nikon needs to aim the system more at enthusiasts by putting in features and controls into the higher-end model that appeal to enthusiasts. It would also help if they would keep the model differentiation simple and easy to understand. Was there a real reason to create the S1 when brand new J1s are still in stock and collecting dust in warehouses and on store shelves?

Camera prices aside, one thing I must admit that IS good about the Nikon 1 system is that the 1 Nikkor lenses are very good and are (mostly) very reasonably priced.

I hope that Nikon does a careful and accurate "evaluation" of the Nikon 1 system. It's a good system with lots of potential, in spite of what the system's critics say. I want to see it survive.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
cyuill2007
Regular MemberPosts: 258Gear list
Like?

You are absolutely right! I'm sorry that I've made responses to two of these crap threads. We do need to get back to posting pictures that show what our Nikon 1 cameras and lenses can do, and providing support and advice for each other. I'll refrain from making any of these types of posts, or responding to them, for the foreseeable future.

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +4 more
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699Gear list
Like?

IVN wrote:

New crap-thread every day. Instead of doing something constructive, like, you know, TAKING AND POSTING PHOTOS, some people just can't stand others being happy. They have to spoil it anyway they can.

As commanded! Shots from the last few days!

Storks are on the endangered list here, so they are bred at Nordens Ark as well!

This young Mallard (unusually lightly colored) eventually realized I was no threat, and eventually had a nap just a few yards away.

Mute Swan, a mum and daughter, perhaps?!

After the nap some tidying the feathers.

On to new adventures, although flying isn't yet on the program!

I am pretty, ain't I?!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Nikon (daily), Sony (occasionally), Olympus (a few times a year), Canon & Pentax (I have them, rarely use 'em) user/owner

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +25 more
rouchefoucald
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Tech, Aug 29, 2013

Alpha Tech wrote:

Some of us enjoy the V2 just as it is, myself included. I would not hesitate to spend the same amount on the V2 again, if I had to make the choice.

I enjoy my V1 a lot. But I would have never bought if it wasn't deeply discounted. Judging by the doubts about the 1 System Nikon is having, the market is short of people who like you would be happily throwing big amounts of cash on their products.

rouchefoucald's gear list:rouchefoucald's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000
razormac
Like?
In reply to cyuill2007, Aug 29, 2013

I think the major issue with the price isn't that it isn't worth to me what I had to pay for it (obviously it is or I wouldn't have bought it), but that I and most others perceive it as being 'unfairly' priced.

It took several months for me to decide there really wasn't a cheaper alternative for what I expected to get out of the V2, so I gritted my teeth and ordered. To my great surprise (and pleasure) the value of the V2 to my personal photography has far exceeded my expectations. As a result I don't feel badly about how much I had to pay, though I still feel in a sane world I would have spent $200 to $300 less for the same package.

Which brings us back to the major problems with N1 sales:

1) The system is not fairly priced

2) Nikon is doing a truly dreadful job in defending to the public their system and pricing

3) The reality is the N1 can be worth every penny spent on it, but you don't know until you actually have one and that price is a high hurdle to get over

Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Simon97
Senior MemberPosts: 2,383Gear list
Like?
In reply to SunnyFlorida, Aug 29, 2013

You say some pretty dumb things. You think Nikon would develop a new camera system, open a factory and lose money to prop up their DSLR line?

I agree the pricing of the models when released is out of line. The Latest J and S models are better, but who wants them when you can pick up a J1 kit for $200 or a V1 for a few bucks more?

Also, let's not forget that mirrorless camera sales are down across the board. People seem to want the camera phone or a SLR when they want to be more serious.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot A800 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon 1 S1
jwhphotos
Like?
I don't understand the complaints about price

Sure I also like to pay as little as possible but (from B&H this morning)

The Olympus E-PL5 costs about $600 w/lens

The Olympus E-P5 costs about $1,000 w/o lens

The Olympus E-M5 costs about $1,300 w/lens

The Nikon J3 costs about $546 w/lens

The Nikon V2 costs about $1,000 w/lens.

I'm sorry but I don't see where the Nikon prices are out of line.

-- hide signature --

John

razormac
Like?
Re: I don't understand the complaints about price
In reply to jwhphotos, Aug 29, 2013

jwhphotos wrote:

Sure I also like to pay as little as possible but (from B&H this morning)

The Olympus E-PL5 costs about $600 w/lens

The Olympus E-P5 costs about $1,000 w/o lens

The Olympus E-M5 costs about $1,300 w/lens

The Nikon J3 costs about $546 w/lens

The Nikon V2 costs about $1,000 w/lens.

I'm sorry but I don't see where the Nikon prices are out of line.

-- hide signature --

John

Nikon appears to agree with you . . . unfortunately for them (and potentially for we N1 system owners) the majority of the public doesn't see it that way.

It is up to Nikon to either do a better job justifying their prices or adjust accordingly. And FWIW you didn't add to your list that you could get a brand new D5200 with lens for less than the V2.

rouchefoucald
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?

If the 1 is going to compete with those other cameras, it should offer something comparable. I use the V1 because I don't need all the OM-D, for example, has to offer. But if I needed that level of customization at the same price point, I'm afraid I'd take the OM-D in a second.

rouchefoucald's gear list:rouchefoucald's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000
razormac
Like?
In reply to rouchefoucald, Aug 29, 2013

rouchefoucald wrote:

If the 1 is going to compete with those other cameras, it should offer something comparable. I use the V1 because I don't need all the OM-D, for example, has to offer. But if I needed that level of customization at the same price point, I'm afraid I'd take the OM-D in a second.

I, on the otherhand, believe the OM-D is overhyped and overpriced, and isn't significantly better than the Nikon V2 in overall performance. But, Olympus has done a far better job selling the OM-D than Nikon has with N1 system cameras.

jwhphotos
Like?
A D5200 is $800 w/lens but

I fail to see how it competes with a V2. A D5200 was not an alternative for me when I bought my V2.

-- hide signature --

John

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads