Will Olympus finally take video seriously w/ EM-1?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?
Re: It's very clear now: Olympus won't focus on video!
In reply to Pixnat2, 7 months ago

Pixnat2 wrote:
But video isn't Olympus priority, and it's easy to understand. As it's easy to understand why some people are frustrated.

Yes, I understand. But on the other hand, they've developed a system that, by all accounts, is the ultimate in-camera video stabilization system EVER. It's better than any OIS or IBIS developed so far, and they currently have it, it's not a proof of concept. Anybody who has used it will tell you the same. That's such a killer feature that if they just developed a half-competent codec around it, they would sell droves of cameras to people who need that single feature because a $1500 compact camera with an external mic input and "built-in Steadicam" is an obvious sell to someone like me who wants a camera for shooting small concerts, local bands, and music videos.

As for this whole "pros don't use stabilization," that's a stupid argument. First of all, they've never had in-camera stabilization this good. Pros do use stabilization. It's called a Steadicam. If any stabilization existed in the past that could do half as well as a Steadicam, pros would have gladly used it. It exists now. In the next 15 years, pros will definitely start using image stabilization. The technology just needed to catch up to pro needs, but who in the world would want a Steadicam body rig to shoot a small local concert? 5-axis IBIS helps capture video footage like never before.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,151
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, 7 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:
But video isn't Olympus priority, and it's easy to understand. As it's easy to understand why some people are frustrated.

Yes, I understand. But on the other hand, they've developed a system that, by all accounts, is the ultimate in-camera video stabilization system EVER. It's better than any OIS or IBIS developed so far, and they currently have it, it's not a proof of concept. Anybody who has used it will tell you the same. That's such a killer feature that if they just developed a half-competent codec around it, they would sell droves of cameras to people who need that single feature because a $1500 compact camera with an external mic input and "built-in Steadicam" is an obvious sell to someone like me who wants a camera for shooting small concerts, local bands, and music videos.

As for this whole "pros don't use stabilization," that's a stupid argument. First of all, they've never had in-camera stabilization this good. Pros do use stabilization. It's called a Steadicam. If any stabilization existed in the past that could do half as well as a Steadicam, pros would have gladly used it. It exists now. In the next 15 years, pros will definitely start using image stabilization. The technology just needed to catch up to pro needs, but who in the world would want a Steadicam body rig to shoot a small local concert? 5-axis IBIS helps capture video footage like never before.

Very valid arguments, I understand you very well. 5 axis IBIS is awesome for stills too, but I agree that it's like a built-in steadycam for video, which is awesome, and understand your frustration.

Maybe time to donate to VK for hacking the E-M1?

-- hide signature --
SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,757Gear list
Like?

Pixnat2 wrote:

honeyiscool wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Very valid arguments, I understand you very well. 5 axis IBIS is awesome for stills too, but I agree that it's like a built-in steadycam for video, which is awesome, and understand your frustration.

-- hide signature --

Unfortunately hacking cannot fix a poor encoder.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 849Gear list
Like?

Pixnat2 wrote:
Very valid arguments, I understand you very well. 5 axis IBIS is awesome for stills too, but I agree that it's like a built-in steadycam for video, which is awesome, and understand your frustration.

-- hide signature --

Perhaps. But I was under the impression that Olympus cameras are less prone to hacking. Not that I know much about that topic, but.

In any case, I'm likely going to buy the EM-1 anyway, and I will use it for stills AND video. I just wish that it wasn't something I would eventually outgrow if I decided to take video more seriously. All because of an encoder, which would be an easy fix.

Even with all its faults, nothing changes the fact that the EM-1 is the only M43 camera on the market that can give me a place to mount a Rode VideoMic Stereo and deliver stabilized video w/ a 25mm f/1.4, and yes, I do need that kind of low light performance. Even f/1.8 can be a little dark at times at 1/30 shutter and ISO 3200.

That said, if the next crop of NEX cameras does something remarkable, I might have to get one.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads