Elinchrom or Profoto

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions
Christopher D Mann
Regular MemberPosts: 356Gear list
Like?
Elinchrom or Profoto
Aug 28, 2013

Hi everyone, I am wanting to purchase a new Octabox and this time I want to get a quality box.  I have  a Einstein 640 that I will be using with new box. I am wanting to know more from users about the 5' Profoto Octa and the 53' Elinchrom Octa. How even is the light distribution from each box and what is the build quality of each box As I will be using this on location also. Thanks

Christopher D Mann's gear list:Christopher D Mann's gear list
Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Nik Silver Efex Pro
Christopher A. Wichura
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
Re: Elinchrom or Profoto
In reply to Christopher D Mann, Aug 28, 2013

I haven't used the two you specifically mention.  But I do use an Elinchrom 74" Octabank with my Profoto strobes.  It's a beautiful light and very even across the surface.  I imagine the two you are looking at will also be pretty even.  The Octa is reasonably well made, though I've only ever used it in studio environments, so it's never been subjected to harsh winds/etc.  It folds down fairly compact, but it's still a beast to transport.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,105Gear list
Like?
In reply to Christopher D Mann, Aug 28, 2013

Th Elinchrm 53-inch Octa puts out wonderful sft light. And you can buy a Balcar moun Rotlux speed ring.  It's as durable as any other softbox I have used.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Christopher D Mann
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Aug 28, 2013

Thanks for the replys. Good to know about the Elinchrom box. Had read some reviews and some people were complaining about the construction of the box.  Have you used the Elinchrom  box with the 640? Alstodo you usomit for location work?  Thanks

Kali108
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
In reply to Christopher D Mann, Aug 29, 2013

Christopher D Mann wrote:

Hi everyone, I am wanting to purchase a new Octabox and this time I want to get a quality box. I have a Einstein 640 that I will be using with new box. I am wanting to know more from users about the 5' Profoto Octa and the 53' Elinchrom Octa. How even is the light distribution from each box and what is the build quality of each box As I will be using this on location also. Thanks

I have the Elichrom 59" Inverse Octa (little sister to 74").  I've used it with Einsteins, although I'm 100% Eli now.  The inverse octas are sublime.

Christopher D Mann
Like?
In reply to Kali108, Aug 30, 2013

Would you by chance happen to have any sample shots you could show me when you were using it with Einstein. If you do I would really like to see a couple. The more I read about these octa boxes makes me really want to get one. How much more light is that silver interior adding also? 1.5-2 stops I'm guessing. Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads