DXO Mark: Sony a77 vs Nikon D7100 vs Canon 70D

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions
Anderton
Contributing MemberPosts: 663
Like?
DXO Mark: Sony a77 vs Nikon D7100 vs Canon 70D
Aug 28, 2013

Take it with a grain of salt - The biggest advances have been in Live View video, and not everything resolves around the sensor (lenses).

For those interested ...

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-EOS-70D-review-how-does-the-new-dual-pixel-CMOS-AF-sensor-perform

"When related to rivals, the new Canon’s scores look sub par. Compared with the $1,199 Nikon D7100 with its 24.1-MPix CMOS sensor the EOS 70D has -1.0 stop less Color Depth, -2.0 stops less in Dynamic Range and around -0.2 (1/5) stop less in Low-light ISO scores.

Pitched against the 2011, $1,098 Sony SLT Alpha 77 (again using a 24-MPix CMOS) the Canon is still behind except on Low-Light ISO where there’s an improvement. In real world terms, however, it would be very hard to see any difference.

While the new dual pixel video AF system sounds promising, for stills photography the sensor in the Canon EOS 70D will perform very similarly to that the earlier EOS 60D (which was introduced in late 2010). That is slightly disappointing but there has been an improvement in pixel count (and likely resolution) and that’s not to say the other features and outright capability of the camera isn’t compelling, as it is."

Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
Re: DXO Mark: Sony a77 vs Nikon D7100 vs Canon 70D
In reply to Anderton, Aug 28, 2013

Also note the A77 is $899, the D7100 and 70D are both $1,199. (Amazon prices.) That $300 is quite a difference, enough to invest in some better glass.

And the A77 is two years old, while the other two models were both released this year.

Thanks for linking the article, I think it reinforces the idea that Canon's APS-C sensors are a bit behind in performance. I do think the dual-pixel tech on the 70D is interesting, though.

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anderton
Contributing MemberPosts: 663
Like?
In reply to Atgard, Aug 28, 2013

Also note the A77 is $899, the D7100 and 70D are both $1,199. (Amazon prices.) That $300 is quite a difference, enough to invest in some better glass.

And the A77 is two years old, while the other two models were both released this year.

Thanks for linking the article, I think it reinforces the idea that Canon's APS-C sensors are a bit behind in performance. I do think the dual-pixel tech on the 70D is interesting, though.

On the flip side Canon continue to expand their STM lenses, touchscreen, fast shots per second, built in wifi... Already impressed by the 60D, the 70D would be one of the best APS-C cameras out today.

Digital Rev hands-on review of the 70D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btaesOmA_ro

Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 431Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anderton, Aug 29, 2013

I'm not saying it's a bad camera or anything. I just get annoyed when magazines/websites do comparisons of items (cameras, cars, etc.) with significantly different price points -- I feel like they never truly take the price into consideration, since they aren't actually paying for it.

I just think it's impressive that the cheaper, older A77 holds up so well to a brand-new Canon model.

Also, I find the 12 fps of the Sony A77 impressive compared to the 7 fps on the Canon 70D.

I would imagine any new A77 replacement will have Wi-Fi, since Sony stuck it in the entry-level $400 A3000. You would think that would start to become a standard feature on DSLRs (I also wonder why $150 point & shoots can have GPS but only the more expensive DSLRs like the A77 have it).

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads