Let's make WiFi much more useful !

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
William Hubert
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
Let's make WiFi much more useful !
11 months ago

Samsung certainly embraced WiFi early on ad now it is in many NX models. The dual band system in the 300 works very well but . . .

We need more control . We should be able to direct images of the type want to where we want. For instance I want to send images to my drop box. My Samsung S3 and S4 phones can do that, why not my camera.  Equally importantly I want to send my RAW images and sometimes video.

Perhaps I want to send images to my Zenfolio account, or to an FTP account.

with most recent firmware on the 300 if I shoot raw only I can't send anything to anywhere. I appreciate very much many of the qualities that Samsung has provided to create really superb images. I do so hope that they remove these strange limitations with the WiFi. Very frustrating when you realize it could all be accomplished in a firmware upgrade!

Bill

-- hide signature --

As with many things in life a great photograph has strong appeal for what is NOT in the picture.

William Hubert's gear list:William Hubert's gear list
Samsung NV11 Samsung TL500 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D +16 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Let's make WiFi much more useful !
In reply to William Hubert, 11 months ago

I asked for raw transfer capabilities via wifi long time ago. Nothing happened since then. Actually it's been a while that a new fw update has been released. I hope samsung reads us and implement raw transfer.

Actually, also remote viewfinder could be much more useful than now, if it could work in any modes allowing to change any settings.

P.s. also focus peaking in video and above all buffer improvements should be accomplished with a fw update!

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 1,933Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, 11 months ago

"Actually, also remote viewfinder could be much more useful than now, if it could work in any modes allowing to change any settings."

Wonder if Canon picks up on this as its cameras go WiFi, as Canon always had a strong Camera Control software that one installs on their computer or laptop.  Might be called Camera Window? Remember it way back with the S45 camera.

wstruth
Regular MemberPosts: 214Gear list
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, 11 months ago

tecnoworld wrote:

Actually, also remote viewfinder could be much more useful than now, if it could work in any modes allowing to change any settings.

I agree right now the remote viewfinder is a fun toy, but being able to have it work in any mode would be useful, because I could use it as a remote control for when the camera is on a tripod for example.

wstruth's gear list:wstruth's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax K-5 Samsung NX300
Gesture
Like?
In reply to wstruth, 11 months ago

Yes. Samsung should think beyond the audience uploading to Facebook or Instagram.

William Hubert
Contributing MemberPosts: 659Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 11 months ago

I am vexed as to how to get Samsung to understand that many users of the NX system are serious about their work. If I only shoot raw it appears that I might as well not have the wireless at all.

Just doesn't make sense, what can we do to attract some attention to this issue ??

-- hide signature --

As with many things in life a great photograph has strong appeal for what is NOT in the picture.

William Hubert's gear list:William Hubert's gear list
Samsung NV11 Samsung TL500 Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D +16 more
PhoGa
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?

I think competition is probably what will motivate them to improve the remote viewfinder app.  Does anyone know if the Sony NEX line can do this?  I believe I read about a new NEX 5T that will have remote viewfinder capabilities.

PhoGa
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to PhoGa, 11 months ago

It appears Sony NEX users gripe about the same thing with their Smart Control app:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/PlayMemories-Mobile-Smart-Remote-No-Video-Recording-Why-does/td-p/43843

Kaziklu
Regular MemberPosts: 479
Like?

For them to make the Wifi abilities better they would need to give both a FW update and upgrade the app. 
Right now WiFi is just smart auto mode with a remote viewfinder touch screen, the question become can they add modes without loosing iAuto (that people seem to like apparently) or is the system coded in a way to make that difficult or buggy? 
If it could be done I'd love a full Manual function with Star Trail functionality, as the Remote features in Samsung triggers are laughable.

NewForce
Senior MemberPosts: 1,196
Like?

I've think everybody have missed one important thing. The existing Samsung NX camera system was not a Smart Mobile OS camera. Saying so mean,

1.They are built-in with camera makers own simple camera system/OS, not something like an smart mobile OS like Google Android OS or others.

2. They have limited hardwares speed, RAM and storage for their simple system/OS to run more program.

3. The simple camera system does not possess the ability to run multi-task and in the background. That's also the reason why each time when we activating current NX camera Wi-Fi features, we'll saw the processing screen, and also the closing screen when we exiting the feature.

I know there's many frustration and I am not defending Samsung, but given the limitation and the current low price we pay for it, there's something we need to accommodate with.

If we look at Canon camp, their 5D3 users need to pay for around US$800 just to have the WFT-7E Wifi kits alone.

And if we take a look at Sony camp, even their latest NEX-5T didn't have more control in their smartphone remote apps (Android only for now).

I've believed that Samsung collected tonnes of their customers feedback, that's why they've released the Galaxy NX camera. It's a World 1st Digital Single Lens camera with Android Smart Mobile OS that allow lots of posibility. I've also strongly believe there's lots of improvements need to be make to the Smart OS camera down the road in the next couple of years.

-- hide signature --

Kenny

Gesture
Like?

Yes and I really talk up the Samsung cameras on other forums because I believe they are excellent.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads