Discouraged by Pentax reliability

Started Aug 28, 2013 | Discussions
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,111Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Trevor G, Aug 29, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

c) would focus extremely erratically in certain light. I only found out a few weeks ago that that was a known problem under tungsten. Not known to me at the time, though

The K-x had no such problem in tungsten light. Maybe you're thinking of a K-r.

-- hide signature --

Dan

 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AllBrands
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to bkpix, Aug 30, 2013

Of course the Pentax fanboys write off the OP's experience as "dumb luck".  Entirely predictable because if there were any validity to his claims, then we wouldn't all be so smart for having bought the best.

I suspect that in point of fact, if we weren't all so gullible and delusional, most of us wouldn't be shooting Pentax to begin with. It is inherent then that we are, as a group, unswayed by anecdotes, surveys, charts or sales figures.  We shoot Pentax because we believe what we want to. When and if that ever changes, we'll quietly change brands and know that THIS time we really are smart and all the facts and evidence are finally on our side.

 AllBrands's gear list:AllBrands's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD550 Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS Olympus E-420 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,279Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to AllBrands, Aug 30, 2013

AllBrands wrote:

Of course the Pentax fanboys write off the OP's experience as "dumb luck". Entirely predictable because if there were any validity to his claims, then we wouldn't all be so smart for having bought the best.

Rather a narrow view dont you think.  

I suspect that in point of fact, if we weren't all so gullible and delusional, most of us wouldn't be shooting Pentax to begin with. It is inherent then that we are, as a group, unswayed by anecdotes, surveys, charts or sales figures. We shoot Pentax because we believe what we want to. When and if that ever changes, we'll quietly change brands and know that THIS time we really are smart and all the facts and evidence are finally on our side.

-- hide signature --

Alan.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
Mark Twain

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,803
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to AllBrands, Aug 30, 2013

AllBrands wrote:

Of course the Pentax fanboys write off the OP's experience as "dumb luck".  Entirely predictable because if there were any validity to his claims, then we wouldn't all be so smart for having bought the best.

I suspect that in point of fact, if we weren't all so gullible and delusional, most of us wouldn't be shooting Pentax to begin with. It is inherent then that we are, as a group, unswayed by anecdotes, surveys, charts or sales figures.  We shoot Pentax because we believe what we want to. When and if that ever changes, we'll quietly change brands and know that THIS time we really are smart and all the facts and evidence are finally on our side.

Bah!

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gkreth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,971
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Trevor G, Aug 30, 2013

Trevor G wrote:

bkpix wrote:

I love using Pentax equipment but its reliability is very frustrating. Maybe it's just a run of bad luck. Or maybe it's time to go back to Canon....

Or Nikon.

I jumped and got a much larger range of affordably priced, large aperture zooms and primes.

Just curios: Could you list some of those? I sometimes think about ikon, but other than a few used third-party 28-70 or 70-200 f/2.8 zooms on eBay, I have not seen much.

Problem 2) A new K-x which:

a) chewed through batteries, especially in live view, at a prodigious rate.

I had this problem on my K-x; a firmware upgrade fixed it. It was interesting to me because I had used my K-x for more than a year with no issues from my Eneloops; then it just showed up suddenly. Fortunately, the firmware upgrade fixed everything.

c) would focus extremely erratically in certain light. I only found out a few weeks ago that that was a known problem under tungsten. Not known to me at the time, though.

I never had this problem, myself; I don't even remember reading about it with the K-x. Now the K-r did seem to have that problem. You say you saw it with a K-x?

I sold it and all my lenses in disgust, after finding that most of my lenses were decentered, anyway.

Now a happy Nikon shooter.

Always good to find something that works for you. I just bought a K-30; best $469 I ever spent....

No one looks down their nose at me.

Never had that happen to me, at least, I never noticed it. Then again, that would be a concern of mine, and I'm surprised it's an issue for you.

-- hide signature --

Greg

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
McSpin
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to AllBrands, Aug 30, 2013

AllBrands wrote:

I suspect that in point of fact, if we weren't all so gullible and delusional, most of us wouldn't be shooting Pentax to begin with. It is inherent then that we are, as a group, unswayed by anecdotes, surveys, charts or sales figures. We shoot Pentax because we believe what we want to. When and if that ever changes, we'll quietly change brands and know that THIS time we really are smart and all the facts and evidence are finally on our side.

That description may fit you perfectly, but you can't speak for a single other person.  I'll tell you why I continue to shoot Pentax.  I got my first one in 1975 and have had at least a dozen bodies and at least as many lenses.  The only service I have ever needed on any of these is a $35 repair on a Pentax ME that I bought in '77 and had a repair done on it in the late 90s.  The cameras and lens have always held up wonderfully and gave me everything I asked of them.

It seems difficult for you and other like you to believe that many of us are actually served well by Pentax - but it's true!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Joseph Tainter, Aug 30, 2013

Don't let the patriots get you down, claiming that Pentax's quality control is no worse than other manufacturers. If you own Pentax, all that is relevant to you is Pentax's quality control--and it has been pretty bad in the digital age.

Joe

You make this this kind of statement on many Pentax threads...I've asked you whether you have any objective basis for suggesting that P's QC is worse than other manufacturers, which you don't, only that your own equipment had problems.  The fair response is, "My own experience has also been bad, but I do not know whether it's more likely with Pentax than others."  As "patriots" (an obvious pejorative) here have been free to note, there have been other reports of lens button failures.  Are Pentax cameras and lenses generally more often faulty than Canikons?  I don't know, nor do you.  The absence of objective data means that I shouldn't claim that P is better than others and that you should not claim that it's worse.  A quick visit to 1-star reviews of any camera on Amazon or B & H will show some awful experiences with it, and a sampling of other brand forums will do the same.  The closest I've seen to statistically significant info comes from places like lensrentals.com, and whenever they're quoted, everyone immediately jumps on their favorite "brandwagon" anyway.  I agree that folks need to choose largely based on their own gut feeling--it just seems to me that you portray your own experience as broadly indicative of the QC of the brand, and discount others' equally-valid experience as denial of reality.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to AllBrands, Aug 30, 2013

AllBrands wrote:

Of course the Pentax fanboys write off the OP's experience as "dumb luck". Entirely predictable because if there were any validity to his claims, then we wouldn't all be so smart for having bought the best.

I suspect that in point of fact, if we weren't all so gullible and delusional, most of us wouldn't be shooting Pentax to begin with. It is inherent then that we are, as a group, unswayed by anecdotes, surveys, charts or sales figures. We shoot Pentax because we believe what we want to. When and if that ever changes, we'll quietly change brands and know that THIS time we really are smart and all the facts and evidence are finally on our side.

They didn't do that.  I saw other mentions of the lens button and many threads about mirror flop.  And if you want real venom, go to the Nikon forum and mention sensor spots on the D600.  Pointing out that we don't know whether Canikons are generally more or less trouble-free than Pentax is just being honest.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,747Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Joseph Tainter, Aug 31, 2013

I have had not one single problem with any of my sigma lenses were as my pentax glass I have had multiple problems

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

 Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,302
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to klavrack, Aug 31, 2013

klavrack wrote:

Don't let the patriots get you down, claiming that Pentax's quality control is no worse than other manufacturers. If you own Pentax, all that is relevant to you is Pentax's quality control--and it has been pretty bad in the digital age.

Joe

You make this this kind of statement on many Pentax threads...I've asked you whether you have any objective basis for suggesting that P's QC is worse than other manufacturers, which you don't, only that your own equipment had problems. The fair response is, "My own experience has also been bad, but I do not know whether it's more likely with Pentax than others." As "patriots" (an obvious pejorative) here have been free to note, there have been other reports of lens button failures. Are Pentax cameras and lenses generally more often faulty than Canikons? I don't know, nor do you. The absence of objective data means that I shouldn't claim that P is better than others and that you should not claim that it's worse. A quick visit to 1-star reviews of any camera on Amazon or B & H will show some awful experiences with it, and a sampling of other brand forums will do the same. The closest I've seen to statistically significant info comes from places like lensrentals.com, and whenever they're quoted, everyone immediately jumps on their favorite "brandwagon" anyway. I agree that folks need to choose largely based on their own gut feeling--it just seems to me that you portray your own experience as broadly indicative of the QC of the brand, and discount others' equally-valid experience as denial of reality.

Please read my statement more carefully. You will note that I did not claim the things you say I did.

Other manufacturers' problems are no concern of mine, nor are they a defense for Pentax's failures. As has been pointed out, you are just giving Pentax cover to continue its sloppy ways.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,412Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Joseph Tainter, Aug 31, 2013

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Please read my statement more carefully. You will note that I did not claim the things you say I did.

Other manufacturers' problems are no concern of mine, nor are they a defense for Pentax's failures. As has been pointed out, you are just giving Pentax cover to continue its sloppy ways.

Joe

Hello,

Just curious: when did you had those issues?

Thanks,

Alex

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,302
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Aug 31, 2013

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Please read my statement more carefully. You will note that I did not claim the things you say I did.

Other manufacturers' problems are no concern of mine, nor are they a defense for Pentax's failures. As has been pointed out, you are just giving Pentax cover to continue its sloppy ways.

Joe

Hello,

Just curious: when did you had those issues?

Thanks,

Alex

Hmmm. I've posted the problems several times. Herewith again:

For me, it began when I switched my K10D to SDM and it would no longer focus my DA* 16-50 to infinity. It had focused fine with shaft drive.

I went through three copies of the K20D. The second copy had a CMOS failure that caused me to lose many photos in Rome.

I received a DA*50-135 with an optical element loose and rattling around inside. My next copy lost its SDM on a trip to Rome. My third copy has, so far, been okay.

I went through two copies of the DA* 16-50 due to severe optical misalignment. One copy caused me to lose valuable photos in Rome, the second copy caused me to lose photos in China. The SDM on the third copy failed after fewer than three dozen photos. I had it repaired and still have it. But I won't take any SDM lens on overseas travel again. The photo opportunities are too valuable, and too expensive, to risk another failure.

And my DA 70 needs so much focus correction that I lost photos with it in Sweden before I recognized the problem. Now I thoroughly test my lenses for focus accuracy, which is quite tedious since I own quite a few lenses.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to bkpix, 11 months ago

Sorry you are having bad luck with PK cameras.  Last year I sold more cameras and lenses than I bought.  Doesn't always happen that way   I just said that to let you know I wind up trying a lot of different cameras.  I've been very lucky with my gear and I can only recall one minor problem with a Pentax camera and one with a Pentax lens.  I've only ever shot with one Canon camera, a 6D, and it also gave no problems at all and the Canon glass has worked flawlessly for me.  With Nikon, same story, and I have a much longer history with Nikon digital cams.  The D600 I was using didn't even have the "dust/oil" problem everyone wrote about.  All modern cameras from the big makers seem to have pretty good QA/QC from my perspective so I don't know what else to tell you.  I hope you have better luck with your future gear.

Cheers

 Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,412Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 11 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Please read my statement more carefully. You will note that I did not claim the things you say I did.

Other manufacturers' problems are no concern of mine, nor are they a defense for Pentax's failures. As has been pointed out, you are just giving Pentax cover to continue its sloppy ways.

Joe

Hello,

Just curious: when did you had those issues?

Thanks,

Alex

Hmmm. I've posted the problems several times. Herewith again:

I'm sorry, I guess it was too difficult to check?

I had a rough idea about what problems you had; however, what I was interested in was the time, i.e. when did you had those issues. The timing is very important if we want to find out if Pentax is continuing"its sloppy way"

Alex

 Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baldeagle21b
Contributing MemberPosts: 814Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to Alex Sarbu, 11 months ago

Joe's data point is five years old, but he never misses an opportunity to regurgitate it whenever the topic comes up.

 baldeagle21b's gear list:baldeagle21b's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to baldeagle21b, 11 months ago

I have used and still have the k-20, k-x, k-7, k-5. The only true gem there was the k-x. I still use it and love the camera for what it is. The rest I hesitate to sell on e-bay. Just plain junk.

i do however plan to buy the next top of the line Ricoh camera for Pentax. If it proves to be a good one. I skipped the k-II and II's. God I hope they put out something half way decent. Just because of the Sigma glass I have though. Not for Pentax. And will be browsing the forum for decent information. So not one of the early buyers for sure.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

 garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
klavrack
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to garyknrd, 11 months ago

Tempting bait, but I'll not bite.  Have a nice day.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,868Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to klavrack, 11 months ago

Yea, sorry to hear about your problems.

I have never had such problems with my K10, Kx and K01 nor any of my lens I use with them.

All have been very dependable.

GR

-- hide signature --

grcolts
http://g_richardsphotography.fototime.com/welcome
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/grcolts

 grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,460Gear list
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to audiobomber, 11 months ago

audiobomber wrote:

Trevor G wrote:

c) would focus extremely erratically in certain light. I only found out a few weeks ago that that was a known problem under tungsten. Not known to me at the time, though

The K-x had no such problem in tungsten light. Maybe you're thinking of a K-r.

I just checked - it was my K200D and an F50 f1.7.

I never spoke up about it but since it seems that people don't realise the problems went back that far I might just have to make old news. 

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,302
Like?
Re: Discouraged by Pentax reliability
In reply to baldeagle21b, 11 months ago

baldeagle21b wrote:

Joe's data point is five years old, but he never misses an opportunity to regurgitate it whenever the topic comes up.

More like 18 months for the most recent SDM failure, and the lens has been little used since then.

The patriots pounce at every opportunity to deny the bad experiences some of us have had with Pentax. I do not understand why they do this. Really, I find it baffling. If I had a better experience with Pentax recently, I would welcome the posts of those who had trouble. I would not try to deny their experience.

I hope Pentax have cleaned up their act. If not by themselves, I hope (as I've posted here several times) that Ricoh will force them to (as Hoya didn't). We'll see.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads