M43 seems more and more overpriced compared to NEX

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,565Gear list
Like?
The way I approach these things...
In reply to jagge, Aug 28, 2013

One picks the format/body 1st 2nd and 3rd choices, then one applies affordability to the selections.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 864Gear list
Like?
Re: M43 seems more and more overpriced compared to NEX

The only NEX with any kind of build quality and solid feature set is still the NEX 7 and it needs an updated sensor.

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Rocky ID Olympian
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: How do glass prices compare?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Aug 28, 2013

Wonder what would it be like when they have "Zuiko E mount", which is plausible since they will also get the 5 axis IBIS from Oly.

Rocky ID Olympian's gear list:Rocky ID Olympian's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
Silvernitrate
Regular MemberPosts: 212
Like?

jagge wrote:

Hey

Did just see the announcements from Sony and have to say that the m43 system seems more and more overpriced compared to the NEX system. See the new nex5t a very competetive sensor, and the new entry level model, with a very capable sensor as well.

Compare that to the EP5 and the GX7. I know maybe not a completely fair comparisson but not far off, the prices are though.

And the cheap sigma primes are a super match for the aps-c sensor, not as much the m43.

I am a m43 supporter BUT I do think that it gets less and less competetive compared to nex.

Jakob

And the cheap sigma primes are a super match for the aps-c sensor, not as much the m43.

The Sigma`s on the Nex`s really were seen as super, do you know why, it was because, at the time, Sony only made good lenses, not super lenses.

The same lens on a Panasonic or Olympus body was only seen as good, but they were comparing the lens against other M4/3 lenses and many of these were superb.

Read enough of the reviews and some will state the Sigma`s deliver a slightly better result on M4/3 than on the Nex.

jagge
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to Silvernitrate, Aug 28, 2013

The Sigma`s on the Nex`s really were seen as super, do you know why, it was because, at the time, Sony only made good lenses, not super lenses.

The same lens on a Panasonic or Olympus body was only seen as good, but they were comparing the lens against other M4/3 lenses and many of these were superb.

wow i still sometimes get suprised by the general extremely defensive nature of forums like this.

Its basically a fact that there is much more bang for the buck in the nex series, and they seem to intensify this competetive pressure, while the better m43 just gets more and more expensive.

The sony sensors are precisely what everyone raves about in m43, my guess is that the nex line has Sony sensors. For the cheap sigmas the point is that they have qualities on the nex line that they DONT have in m43. Specifically subject isolation.

So great sensor, some subject isolation at a price that cant be matched in m43 that is the point.

jakob

walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?

jagge wrote:

wow i still sometimes get suprised by the general extremely defensive nature of forums like this.

Its basically a fact that there is much more bang for the buck in the nex series, and they seem to intensify this competetive pressure, while the better m43 just gets more and more expensive.

The sony sensors are precisely what everyone raves about in m43, my guess is that the nex line has Sony sensors. For the cheap sigmas the point is that they have qualities on the nex line that they DONT have in m43. Specifically subject isolation.

So great sensor, some subject isolation at a price that cant be matched in m43 that is the point.

jakob

Well, the subject isolation is only a half stop better in the NEX, not very noticeable. I agree with your other points, although one buys m4/3 over NEX because of lenses, design, and usability factors. APS-C lenses are undeniably larger.

walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
goshigoo
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
In reply to BitsBob, Aug 28, 2013

BitsBob wrote:

I agree, I moved from Canon to M43 and enjoy the results and weight/size However:-

1. From the start M43 has been too expensive. I am sure that there was a marketing meeting at Panasonic that came to the conclusion that to be credible Lumix had to be expensive and they are still sticking to that decision.

2. The lenses are generally very good but again the primes are too costly. It is now well understood that products are not sold at what they cost but what the market will stand, just look at how rapidly 'old' models are discounted.

3. Other, third party, lens makers, other than sigma, are not prepared to enter M43 until there is sensible pricing which will open up the scope for a bigger share and make this format a real challenge to Sony and others.

have you tried to get GX1 + 20 f/1.7 + 45 f/1.8?

dr_elis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,149
Like?
Re: M43 and NEX bargains

There are always bargains around when shopping for a MFT cam, e.g. the GX1 and the G5 prices are really low these days. On the other side of the fence, the Sony NEX-3N with kit lens is at the current price point very attractive if one looks for cam without EVF.

papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 19,883Gear list
Like?
I don't think so...
In reply to mpgxsvcd, Aug 28, 2013

mpgxsvcd wrote:

The only company that doesn't compete very well right now is Canon.

Not when you can pick up an EOS-M and 22mm F2 for peanuts. The IQ is excellent and it will fit in a smallish pants pocket no problem. Not forgetting that you can buy an adaptor and use all your EF/S lenses on it. Canon also offer many more choices of decent lenses at low prices, for instance I picked up a 55-250mm lens for £109 and I'll take that lens over the m4/3's 40/45-150mm range lenses all day long, it's an amazing lens for the price. Then there's the G1-X, another superb camera for a very reasonable price now, beats any m4/3's camera and kit lens combination by a country mile.
There's definitely value in Canon if you know where to look. Like any manufacturer, wait for 9 months to a year and prices drop significantly, be an early adopter and pay through the nose.

-- hide signature --

667....neighbour of the beast.
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill +4 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?

jagge wrote:

Hey

Did just see the announcements from Sony and have to say that the m43 system seems more and more overpriced compared to the NEX system. See the new nex5t a very competetive sensor, and the new entry level model, with a very capable sensor as well.

Compare that to the EP5 and the GX7. I know maybe not a completely fair comparisson but not far off, the prices are though.

I am a m43 supporter BUT I do think that it gets less and less competetive compared to nex.

Jakob

something is 'overpriced' when they can sell available stock planned to be sold

m43rds run various models across a spectrum of prices
its usual to find older product on the cheaper side of pricing
fresher releases on the high side
but cameras like OMD have a certain uniqueness to remain as more of a niche, consequently within tight pricing policy that hasnt seen much of a fall

Sony face the same issue
unless you believe the new 3000, very similar in content to Nex
but sells for a lot less

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
dr_elis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,149
Like?
In reply to Rriley, Aug 28, 2013

Rriley wrote:

Sony face the same issue

In principle yes, that´s the way the market usually works. But when a company like Sony decides that it is time to increase their market share even fresh models can be aggressively priced. The NEX-3N with kit lens is a steal...

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 14,119
Like?

jagge wrote:

Hey

I think that versus NEX, m43 lacks the excellent sensors across the whole range (at the high end, the difference isn't worth considering).  Otherwise, Sony might do a little better with value in inexpensive bodies, but I don't know that I'd extend that to systems.  Until this a3000, NEX lacked an affordable body with a viewfinder (something I believe is crucial to the success of all the mirrorless systems ... I think a lot of consumers keep buying entry level DSLRs over mirrorless because they want a camera with a VF, not a p&s with a lens stuck on it).  Panasonic has the G series, but unfortunately, that's not really on most consumers radar (and I bet Sony gets that a3000 onto a lot of shelves).  The a3000 features low res LCD and EVF and the LCD doesn't tilt, either.  It's a pretty bare bones little camera.  It would win some consumers dollars simply because it's the cheapest thing on the shelf, not because it's necessarily a better value.  And then you get into lenses.  Apples to oranges comparisons all over the place, mostly, but I wouldn't consider either system a better value than the other.

If you want to extend the argument, then it's fair to point out that NEX has nothing at all to compete with the excellent and fairly priced 45/1.8 and 75/1.8 and from there you get into all sorts of things that you value or someone else values.  Personally, I have no use for short f/2.8 primes.

Well, m43 enjoyed a nice head start, but it was only a matter of time before the competition started filling out their lineups.  And once that happens, it becomes a more fair product-to-product comparison, rather than a big-lineup-to-little-lineup comparison.

Personally, I love the styling & usability of the NEX-6.  And the price isn't bad, either.  I found the OM-D a bit over the top when it comes to controls, though I know it's a well-loved camera, and it's still a bit pricey.  (I could probably justify that difference on the basis of IBIS).  The new 16-70/4 is the first lens in the NEX lineup that I could honestly say I'd want (versus others that I would settle for).  m43 counters with the Panasonic 20 the Oly 45 and 75.  The new 12-40/2.8 sounds somewhat interesting, but I prefer a zoom that gets up into portrait range (I've used 16-80 and 16-85 on my DSLRs).  I do have to admit that NEX has a slight edge in my book with Alpha lens compatibility ... if I look at the lineup and imagine myself shooting with a zoom like the 16-70 paired up with a couple primes (unfortunately, NEX doesn't offer primes that appeal to me), what's missing is a good, long tele ... I can imagine using the A mount 70-300 SSM (yes, I know it's a BIG lens) with an adapter for occasional use.  I wonder if m43 will get to a point where they'll offer fast AF performance with 4/3 lenses to have similar flexibility.

All of which is to say that anybody choosing between the systems has an awful lot to think about !

(I have a NEX system that I purchased a couple years ago, but which now sits unused next to a DSLR kit and a Sony RX100 ... I haven't decided whether to sell it or not ... basically, I can see myself using a mirrorless more in the future, but am not committed to NEX right now).

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,846Gear list
Like?
In reply to dr_elis, Aug 28, 2013

dr_elis wrote:

Rriley wrote:

Sony face the same issue

In principle yes, that´s the way the market usually works. But when a company like Sony decides that it is time to increase their market share even fresh models can be aggressively priced. The NEX-3N with kit lens is a steal...

I dont disagree, it is real value
but it is so placed, and so funded, to accomplish a market objective for Sony
I think that might be battling low end Canon and Nikon
and likely its designed as a very cheap build from the beginning

we have seen these things before from Sony when they got into FF
but that was just pricing
likewise Nikon arent running out stock of the now much older D3100,
its their model to push the market for whatever reason

everybody has their special model to shape the market
and usually they do this with aggressive pricing as that stimulates demand
Olympus were doing the same with EPL1, Panny with GF1
even OMD EM5 may get its turn

but probably not just yet

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?

Do I understand correctly that Sony make no primes longer than 50mm for a sensor that is larger than M43? And M43 users complain about the lack of 300mm options.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,188
Like?
In reply to Frugaltraveler, Aug 28, 2013

Frugaltraveler wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

Overpriced? What a nonsense. Look at the A3000. It is horribly stripped down: no separate dial, poor NEX style controls, low resolution screen, slow frame rate. This camera is so stripped down, that it is not even worth its low price. I would rather spend a few more and get a better m4/3 camera for it. Even the lowest end m4/3 is a lot better than the A3000 and has a better value for money.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

or buy a NEX 7 for the same price as a OM-D? NEX woud be a better choice now if I didn't already have so many mu43 lenses.

does nex7 have ibis? i dont follow sony since the whole beta tape fiasco on their part...and then the minidisc disaster.

honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't think so...
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 28, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Not when you can pick up an EOS-M and 22mm F2 for peanuts. The IQ is excellent and it will fit in a smallish pants pocket no problem. Not forgetting that you can buy an adaptor and use all your EF/S lenses on it. Canon also offer many more choices of decent lenses at low prices, for instance I picked up a 55-250mm lens for £109 and I'll take that lens over the m4/3's 40/45-150mm range lenses all day long, it's an amazing lens for the price. Then there's the G1-X, another superb camera for a very reasonable price now, beats any m4/3's camera and kit lens combination by a country mile.
There's definitely value in Canon if you know where to look. Like any manufacturer, wait for 9 months to a year and prices drop significantly, be an early adopter and pay through the nose.

Tony

Terrible example. The only reason why Canon sells for that price is because they completely flopped and the EOS-M, excuse my language, sucks. Yes, I've used the EOS-M quite a bit. It is my girlfriend's camera. They put a good sensor in that thing and then forgot to actually build a camera around it. The focus is not only slow, it's inaccurate and the MF isn't very good, either. No wonder she reaches for my E-PM2 whenever there's a shot she needs to nail.

You can't use EOS-M as the example of something that's competitive when the only reason why it sells at the current price is because it's completely flopped and forced to take a 50-60% hit from its original sales price. Now, at $300-400 that you can get it for nowadays, it's actually not the most horrible way you could spend your money. However, had the EOS-M actually been a good camera, it would have stayed expensive.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
papillon_65
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, Aug 28, 2013

honeyiscool wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Tony

Terrible example. The only reason why Canon sells for that price is because they completely flopped and the EOS-M, excuse my language, sucks. Yes, I've used the EOS-M quite a bit. It is my girlfriend's camera. They put a good sensor in that thing and then forgot to actually build a camera around it. The focus is not only slow, it's inaccurate and the MF isn't very good, either. No wonder she reaches for my E-PM2 whenever there's a shot she needs to nail.

That's a matter of opinion of course. There are plenty of EOS-M user not having those problems, myself included, just check in the EOS-M forum. It's easy if you are struggling to focus, you just use the magnify option, not really that hard but most of the time it's no problem, all contrast detect systems struggle at times.

You can't use EOS-M as the example of something that's competitive when the only reason why it sells at the current price is because it's completely flopped and forced to take a 50-60% hit from its original sales price. Now, at $300-400 that you can get it for nowadays, it's actually not the most horrible way you could spend your money. However, had the EOS-M actually been a good camera, it would have stayed expensive.

It's not much different from many CSC camera's who's prices have also nosedived within the year. It also does something that has taken Olympus several years to crack, it also focuses EF lenses pretty decently and accurately.
That aside, consider this, Olympus are releasing the E-M1 and it will cost in the region of £1200 at least. Canon have already released the EOS 100D which you can get for a third of the price and it does most of what the E-M1 is reported to do - already. It has the advantages of both mirrorless and mirrored cameras and also has an ovf. It has dual focusing and can take a massive range of lenses as well as the newer STM lenses for video. They're not so dissimilar in many ways and if you're on a budget which one would you buy?

-- hide signature --

Tony

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill +4 more
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Aug 28, 2013

papillon_65 wrote:
That's a matter of opinion of course. There are plenty of EOS-M user not having those problems, myself included, just check in the EOS-M forum. It's easy if you are struggling to focus, you just use the magnify option, not really that hard but most of the time it's no problem, all contrast detect systems struggle at times.

How I know you're not shooting moving subjects: you have time to magnify with an EOS-M and think most of the time, it's no problem. Contrast detect systems do all struggle at times. But the EOS M phase detection is close to awful (esp w/ the 22mm), whereas I have no problems getting great shots of moving subjects on my E-PM2 all day (w/ my 17mm). EOS-M struggles with cat pictures in indoor lighting at night. Do you really think that's acceptable for a modern premium camera?

It's not much different from many CSC camera's who's prices have also nosedived within the year. It also does something that has taken Olympus several years to crack, it also focuses EF lenses pretty decently and accurately.

Really? Not from videos I've seen. I've seen many videos of how awful an L lens focuses on the EOS-M. Compared to how it focuses on any SLR, it's pretty awful. And yes, some CSCs have nosedived during the year. But cameras such as the GH3 and EM5 have stayed near the same. On the other side of things, the X-E1 hasn't nose-dived either. Cameras that were well thought out and introduced a unique, pleasant user experience have not nosedived.

That aside, consider this, Olympus are releasing the E-M1 and it will cost in the region of £1200 at least. Canon have already released the EOS 100D which you can get for a third of the price and it does most of what the E-M1 is reported to do already. It has the advantages of both mirrorless and mirrored cameras and also has an ovf. It has dual focusing and can take a massive range of lenses as well as the newer STM lenses for video. They're not so dissimilar in many ways and if you're on a budget which one would you buy?

No 5-axis IBIS, though, so I don't know what "most of" you're talking about. That's not a feature you can currently get on a camera less than $900. In any case, you're comparing the most expensive Olympus w/ the cheapest Canon, and which camera would you rather have in the rain?

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
papillon_65
Like?
In reply to honeyiscool, Aug 28, 2013

honeyiscool wrote:

papillon_65 wrote:

How I know you're not shooting moving subjects: you have time to magnify with an EOS-M and think most of the time, it's no problem. Contrast detect systems do all struggle at times. But the EOS M phase detection is close to awful (esp w/ the 22mm), whereas I have no problems getting great shots of moving subjects on my E-PM2 all day (w/ my 17mm). EOS-M struggles with cat pictures in indoor lighting at night. Do you really think that's acceptable for a modern premium camera?

As I said, there are plenty of satisfied users in the EOS M forum, be my guest if you don't believe me, because you don't rate it doesn't make it a bad camera. The UI is actually excellent in my experience, very easy to use.

Really? Not from videos I've seen. I've seen many videos of how awful an L lens focuses on the EOS-M. Compared to how it focuses on any SLR, it's pretty awful. And yes, some CSCs have nosedived during the year. But cameras such as the GH3 and EM5 have stayed near the same. On the other side of things, the X-E1 hasn't nose-dived either. Cameras that were well thought out and introduced a unique, pleasant user experience have not nosedived.

Well I use EF primes like the 50mm F1.4 and 35mm F2 on mine no problem and so do plenty of others. The cameras you mentioned are top of the range, there are plenty of m4/3's cameras selling for rock bottom prices which have dropped quickly after release throughout m4/3's short history. The EOS-M was over-priced on release but that's hardly unusual in the camera industry.

That aside, consider this, Olympus are releasing the E-M1 and it will cost in the region of £1200 at least. Canon have already released the EOS 100D which you can get for a third of the price and it does most of what the E-M1 is reported to do already. It has the advantages of both mirrorless and mirrored cameras and also has an ovf. It has dual focusing and can take a massive range of lenses as well as the newer STM lenses for video. They're not so dissimilar in many ways and if you're on a budget which one would you buy?

No 5-axis IBIS, though, so I don't know what "most of" you're talking about. That's not a feature you can currently get on a camera less than $900. In any case, you're comparing the most expensive Olympus w/ the cheapest Canon, and which camera would you rather have in the rain?

Well the E-M1 hasn't got a real ovf and plenty of people don't like evf's so you pay your money and make your choice. Canon has the largest user base of all the manufacturers, so plenty of people may be tempted with the EOS 100, especially as they can use all their existing lenses on it. As for weathersealing, I personally don't shoot in the rain, neither do many people, it's an irrelevance to plenty of us. Most modern cameras cameras are pretty well built these days and a weathersealed body isn't so great if most of your lenses aren't weathersealed.
I hope the E-M1 is a success, I've used Olympus for years, thats how I know they're not a cheap option

-- hide signature --

Tony

FredB
Contributing MemberPosts: 828Gear list
Like?
In reply to jennajenna, Aug 28, 2013

No ibis in any of the NEX offerings

FredB's gear list:FredB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads