Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started Aug 27, 2013 | Discussions
marike6
Senior MemberPosts: 5,070Gear list
Like?
Get the D5200 for the cheaper, more plentiful lenses and flash system
In reply to Har L, Aug 28, 2013

I'm sure the NEX-6 is a fine camera, but the D5200 would be my choice for the cheaper and overall better lenses.  F-mount is probably the best supported mount in the world and buying into it not only gives the options for some awesome inexpensive primes like the 35 1.8 DX and 50 1.8G, but there have been some wonderful third party lenses released recently like the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, one of the sharpest zooms ever made.

Flash system with the Nikon CLS is another huge plus for the Nikon system.  The Nikon flashes are great, can be fired from the D5200.  And there are tons of great lower cost options like the Yongnuo 565 EX, which works really well with their inexpensive wireless triggers.  I have two of these that I use on stands with umbrellas and it's a very nice budget "strobist" kit.

I checked out the D5200 at Costco last week and I was pretty impressed with it.  The fully articulating LCD is extremely sharp, and the grip feels good.

If you don't need the smallest body, you could also consider the D7100 (or a refurbished D7000) which is an absolutely fantastic body with a gorgeous, bright 100% Pentaprism finder.  But the D5200 VF is not bad at all and of the smaller Nikon bodies, it's my favorite.

Best of luck,

Markus

 marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,417
Like?
Your talking about your wishlist not that of the fast majority mr hyenadog
In reply to hyenadog, Aug 28, 2013

Dear hyenadog.

Read your reply again and look at the other brands. Show me one lens in the 16-70 range that is faster then the Zeiss lens, and not larger. Yes you claim that nobody will buy this lens in combintion with the ILCE-3000, you are right, but there are other cameras (Nex5/6/7) out there that are better suited for this lens.

You claim that the Zeiss lens is irrelevant to the fast majority of the Nex users, but you are forgetting the large group of owners that asked for a lens like this and they are willing to pay for it too. So Sony does it best to help all customers, not only you.

You claim, without any proof, that Sony will ditch the Nex for the ILCE range. Nor Sony, nor any rumor side claims this is true, you are spreading a false rumor, making people uneasy about the Nex, what is probebly based on wrong thinking of you.

You claim that f/4 lenses are useless indoor, at teater stage and sports. Probably you never tried it. I read today on this forum a person who uses a f/4 zoom lens as only lens when (semi) professionaly taking pictres of plays. On stage there is often more light then people think and, as I said befor f/4 is just 1 stop faster as f/2.8. So you can take a lot of very nice pictures, using a slower shutterspeed or a one stop faster ISO setting.

You claim you need a fast tele prime for taking shots of your children at play, well the professiona I mentioned before was saying something completely different. He tells that a f/4 zoom lens is better for stage then a prime as you can make frame the picture better with a zoom lens, he uses a 18-105 f4 lens on APS camera. But when you realy think you need the prime well maybe you are stupid for buying a camera that does not have that lens... And then you are complaining that the size of the camera is most important, but at the same time you want large lenses (fast teleprimes can't be small), again this makes you maybe more stupid then the buyers of the ILC-3000 camera.

On the other hand, by the lens roadmap from Sony there is a tele prime lens due this year, so maybe your wish will be granted. I can't tell anything about that lens as I don't work for Sony.

You say: For Sony's benefit - think about who buys the vast majority of the NEX's and what they are used for ..

Well maybe, just maybe your use of the camera is not that of the majority. Maybe, just maybe, the majority wants zoom lenses. Sony did a good job with pleasing them, giving them the kit zooms (18-55 and 55-210mm) covering the whole range they normaly need. Then they come with some 18-200 (the smaller Tamron version is not much larger then the 55-210) and now with some lenses for the more demanding people. A group that have bought the Nex 6 and 7 and want matching zoom lenses.

And for the 85 f/2 lens? Well again it is prommised to come this year, maybe it is announced with the nex 7 successor...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
Re: Decide for yourself......
In reply to Caerolle, Aug 29, 2013

Caerolle wrote:

Yes, each of us has to decide what is important to them and what they want to shoot. The dSLRs I have used certainly achieve focus fast, like instantly, while my mirrorless takes longer, and often wont even get focus. On the other hand, when I compare the same shots from the two, the focus is always sharper on my mirrorless. If you have a camera that you can adjust microfocus, and are inclined to do that, I guess you can get there (except for zooms that have focus shift with focal length, or with stopping down), but I prefer my mirrorless, for what I do. If I was taking a lot of pictures of things that moved, I'd likely be more inclined to use a dSLR.

MFA only helps to calibrate lens to the body. It does nothing for PDAF area choosing a wrong feature to lock onto (nose vs eyes). I think a lot of misfocused DSLR shots is due to the way AF works. There's a reason why all the higher end lenses on CaNikons have full time manual focus ring. When I wanted to make absolutely sure that I got a sharp shot on my Canon DSLR (and if I had time) I would use magnified Live View and manually focus. Peaking makes it so much easier.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
Re: I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to wb2trf, Aug 29, 2013

wb2trf wrote:

I agree that a P&S is not much better than a good phone cam in bright light, but my statement stands about not being able to see the difference at normal viewing distance.

But anyway your plan makes sense. The difficulty of the AF on Nex is wildly exaggerated here. You'll probably like the Nex. It certainly takes much better pictures at higher ISOs than any small sensor camera including the RX100. (Also its great if you like pixel peeping bright light photos.)

I had absolutely terrible time focusing on moving subjects in a dimly lit room with Nex F3, but it had as much to do with very slow focus on SEL50F1.8 as with PDAF. Otherwise, tracking moving subjects was not a problem.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Re: I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to Amamba, Aug 29, 2013

Amamba wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

I agree that a P&S is not much better than a good phone cam in bright light, but my statement stands about not being able to see the difference at normal viewing distance.

But anyway your plan makes sense. The difficulty of the AF on Nex is wildly exaggerated here. You'll probably like the Nex. It certainly takes much better pictures at higher ISOs than any small sensor camera including the RX100. (Also its great if you like pixel peeping bright light photos.)

I had absolutely terrible time focusing on moving subjects in a dimly lit room with Nex F3, but it had as much to do with very slow focus on SEL50F1.8 as with PDAF. Otherwise, tracking moving subjects was not a problem.

Good to hear.... and while i have kids and want something to track them... I'm not a huge sports hound trying to get all the difficult shots... but basic tracking... yes I do want that.

 ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
Re: I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to ohcello, Aug 29, 2013

ohcello wrote:

Amamba wrote:

wb2trf wrote:

I agree that a P&S is not much better than a good phone cam in bright light, but my statement stands about not being able to see the difference at normal viewing distance.

But anyway your plan makes sense. The difficulty of the AF on Nex is wildly exaggerated here. You'll probably like the Nex. It certainly takes much better pictures at higher ISOs than any small sensor camera including the RX100. (Also its great if you like pixel peeping bright light photos.)

I had absolutely terrible time focusing on moving subjects in a dimly lit room with Nex F3, but it had as much to do with very slow focus on SEL50F1.8 as with PDAF. Otherwise, tracking moving subjects was not a problem.

Good to hear.... and while i have kids and want something to track them... I'm not a huge sports hound trying to get all the difficult shots... but basic tracking... yes I do want that.

In good light, I don't see tracking as a problem.

In poor light, I am planning on eventually getting a LAEA2 and some fast focusing lens but only if it becomes a problem.

I didn't have any issues shooting my kids' karate competition with Sigma 19/2.8. The light was very bad.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Har L
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Go for the D5200
In reply to Har L, Sep 3, 2013

Some of the inputs here has been very helpful in helping me focus on the more important factors between the two cameras. In the end, I finally decided to get the Nkon D5200. As I mentioned earlier, for now I don't mind the size (at least for now). If I want to do more, I like the potential cost and options available. So far it's been great (although I do feel that I will be equally happy with NEX 6 in different ways), but I definitely need to spend more time with it, and improving my skills.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pr B
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to CosmoZooo, 4 months ago

I have a parallel struggle.  I have a Sony NEX-6, with the 55-210mm lens.  The lens is a little slow/dark at 210mm: f/6.3.  And AF at that length can be a bit spotty.

I use my camera mainly for birding and for hikes in the woods with the dogs.  At 315mm equivalent focal length, that's a bit inadequate for birding.

I'm tempted to trade to a Nikon D3300, with the 55-300mm lens, which is a bit faster/brighter at 300mm: f/5.6.  The equivalent focal length of 450mm is within the lower end of birding range.  And, of course, DSLR AF is more spot-on.

I estimate the volume and the weight of the D3300, as rigged, to be about 2/3s more than the NEX-6.

I've been happy with the IQ of the Sony.  Is the extra focal length, brighter lens, and faster AF worth the extra bulk?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010Gear list
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to Pr B, 4 months ago

Pr B wrote:

I have a parallel struggle. I have a Sony NEX-6, with the 55-210mm lens. The lens is a little slow/dark at 210mm: f/6.3. And AF at that length can be a bit spotty.

I use my camera mainly for birding and for hikes in the woods with the dogs. At 315mm equivalent focal length, that's a bit inadequate for birding.

I'm tempted to trade to a Nikon D3300, with the 55-300mm lens, which is a bit faster/brighter at 300mm: f/5.6. The equivalent focal length of 450mm is within the lower end of birding range. And, of course, DSLR AF is more spot-on.

I estimate the volume and the weight of the D3300, as rigged, to be about 2/3s more than the NEX-6.

I've been happy with the IQ of the Sony. Is the extra focal length, brighter lens, and faster AF worth the extra bulk?

Test it first, I tried D5200 with kit tele (probably the same one) and it was soft as hell.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads