Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330
Like?
I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to ohcello, 11 months ago

You do what you want of course, but I wouldn't get those two.  They are too close in size and capability.  You will end up using all one or all the other.  So, unless you want to try both and sell the one you don't use, I don't recommend that approach.

To my way of thinking you only want one new interchangable lens camera to which you add lenses over time.  The next smaller size than DSLR that may justify a second camera is a P&S. It fits in any pocket but a Nex does not.  If the RX100 is too pricey then get the best small sensor one you can afford, if you do want a smaller camera than the 5100 or Nex.  Contrary to what the gear hounds here believe when you take pictures in bright light and look at them at normal viewing distance you will not be able to tell whether it was taken by your 5100 or your 2/3 tiny sensor P&S without looking at the exif.  So, most travel pics, no difference.  Picture taken in dim light, different story.

Many of the previous posts are bonkers in my view, by the way.  Some posters here think that a dslr somehow knows what the subject is and chooses that reliably.  Nonsense.  I get 95% keepers shooting moving children with the slowest of the Nex lenses the SEL 50mm 1.8.  I choose the Nex for its manuverablity and small effect on the psyche of my tiny subjects. I have no AF problems.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
I am returning D5200
In reply to Har L, 11 months ago

My F3's AF died recently, so I decided to go with D5200 based on all the reviews, and hoping to get better AF speed and reliability even at a cost of a larger body. I also hoped for better SOOC Jpegs.

I was thoroughly disappointed.

Both the Jpegs and RAW out of D5200 are soft. Part of it may be due to the poor image quality of kit lenses, but the overall softness seems to be a common complaint about D5200. I am not buying another $500 lens just to test if this would make the softness go away.

I didn't like the JPEGs of Sony much, but the Nikon JPEGs are even worse - in my opinion. Especially in dim light, where the camera is supposed to shine. Sony creates reddish skin tint. Nikon is greenish. Sony has awful NR artefacts that destroy shadow detail. Nikon doesn't bring shadows up enough to show the detail. Nikon's built in flash is untiltable and at default setting is too strong, still not nearly as good as the Canon ETTL. Finally, Nikon menus are a cluster @@@@. I am sure that much of this can be changed in settings somewhere, but this still wouldn't make the softness go away.

In the end, I put both cameras in auto mode and blasted away in various lighting conditions, with my Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro and the better of two Nikon lenses (55-300VR) both set at 55mm and f6 (to make sure that Nikon was at least somewhat stopped down). I don't use Auto but I wanted to see if Nikon would produce better SOOC shots in same conditions. It didn't. I already know what I can get from Sony when using Raw. Not worth switching, to me at least.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to CosmoZooo, 11 months ago

I think for moving subjects in dim light, a LAEA2 + a good A-mount lens mounted on Nex would be a cheaper and more flexible solution than a whole DSLR. Assuming LAEA2 lives up to the fuss - I personally never used it.

I have two problems with Nex. The fragile built (at least on my F3 it was) and the image quality of SOOC Jpegs (heavy handed NR and reddish skin tones). However, the benefits far outweigh these two problems (as liong as camera doesn't crap out ).  Now that I shot with D5200 I think I got Nikon out of my system for good. If I ever go back to DSLR, it's most likely going to be Canon (if they finally get a XXI century sensor). Or, less likely, Sony Alpha.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to Amamba, 11 months ago

Amamba wrote:

I think for moving subjects in dim light, a LAEA2 + a good A-mount lens mounted on Nex would be a cheaper and more flexible solution than a whole DSLR. Assuming LAEA2 lives up to the fuss - I personally never used it.

Cheaper then a DSLR - really? NEX-6 + LAEA2 + A-mount lens cheaper then an Nikon D5200 or even the new Canon 70D...care to do the math?...because I highly doubt that would be cheaper.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?
Re: I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to wb2trf, 11 months ago

wb2trf wrote:

You do what you want of course, but I wouldn't get those two. They are too close in size and capability. You will end up using all one or all the other. So, unless you want to try both and sell the one you don't use, I don't recommend that approach.

To my way of thinking you only want one new interchangable lens camera to which you add lenses over time. The next smaller size than DSLR that may justify a second camera is a P&S. It fits in any pocket but a Nex does not. If the RX100 is too pricey then get the best small sensor one you can afford, if you do want a smaller camera than the 5100 or Nex. Contrary to what the gear hounds here believe when you take pictures in bright light and look at them at normal viewing distance you will not be able to tell whether it was taken by your 5100 or your 2/3 tiny sensor P&S without looking at the exif. So, most travel pics, no difference. Picture taken in dim light, different story.

Many of the previous posts are bonkers in my view, by the way. Some posters here think that a dslr somehow knows what the subject is and chooses that reliably. Nonsense. I get 95% keepers shooting moving children with the slowest of the Nex lenses the SEL 50mm 1.8. I choose the Nex for its manuverablity and small effect on the psyche of my tiny subjects. I have no AF problems.

The problem is that the 3N is so much cheaper than the RX100 and to be honest, I would not put the RX100 in my pocket (like the OP also stated he would not either).  I would put in it a small belt/bag... and I think I could also carry around the 3N with kit lens the same way... just protruding out another ~30cm, which I don't think will be a big deal.

As for getting another point and shoot... forget it... the IQ is not much better than HDR shots on my iphone in good light so I'd never invest in any small sensor camera again.

My plan is this.  I'll get the 3N first.... I'll see how I do with moving targets, low light, etc.  If the AF is 'good enough' I'll build out the lenses for the NEX system (35mm f/1.8 and 55-210mm).    If the AF is not good enough, the 3N will become *just* my camcorder, and travel/travel light cam and I will not get any more lenses for it.  I'll then get a DSLR for low light and events.

I have *some* skills working with DSLRs now for about 7 years back to the Canon 20D, so maybe I can make the NEX 3N work enough to get enough keepers... I really won't know until I own it.

 ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to CosmoZooo, 11 months ago

CosmoZooo wrote:

Amamba wrote:

I think for moving subjects in dim light, a LAEA2 + a good A-mount lens mounted on Nex would be a cheaper and more flexible solution than a whole DSLR. Assuming LAEA2 lives up to the fuss - I personally never used it.

Cheaper then a DSLR - really? NEX-6 + LAEA2 + A-mount lens cheaper then an Nikon D5200 or even the new Canon 70D...care to do the math?...because I highly doubt that would be cheaper.

Sorry, I was posting to two different boards with similar topics. For someone who already has a Nex and contemplates getting a 2nd DSLR camera to get better AF, a cheaper and more flexible solution would be getting the adapter.

For someone starting from scratch, this would be different - basically about $300 more expensive to go with Nex 6 + adapter but then you get the best of both worlds.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,481Gear list
Like?
Decide for yourself......
In reply to Mel Snyder, 11 months ago

One advantage evident here is all of Mel's shots are done in bright sunlight on a 35' boat.  When shooting in mixed light and especially low light with potential focus points from a few feet thru infinity the AF will miss more.

I certainly agree there is a learning curve.

Unfortunately there is a real issue here with mirrorless AF.  The AF on a DSLR is a non issue, so much that it is rarely discussed outside of tricky or difficult focus subjects like BIF.  This is why I suggested the Op needs to make up his own mind.

From everything I read the jury is still out, and the AF system is not bulletproof.  I am thinking of getting the 6 for every day used with the kit lens, so compact.  Then the DSLR for when the subject matter is more challenging.  For a carry everywhere camera the results do not have to be perfect, and I want compact and light.

 RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PDine
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to Har L, 11 months ago

Hi,

I am new user here, but have been reading the forum the last few weeks since I am getting interested in getting a better camera than a Fuji f40fd point and shoot. It is time to update it to a camera that can give better image quality and also more versatile to shoot in various conditions. I will be using it as general purpose camera to take pictures such as of a 2 years old indoor and outdoor, and also take it along during vacation trip, and also occasional video clips.

I have narrowed it down to Nikon D5200 and Sony NEX6 from reading various reviews and also forums. I played around with both camera in store, but not side by side. So far they both perform equally well in store, but I can only do limited test, ie. can't do low light situation, fast moving object, etc.

Based on review, the Nikon D5200 appeal to me are 24MP sensor that reviews slightly better than 16MP of NEX6, supposedly better autofocus speed and accuracy, appear to be easier/direct control with more buttons, and probably cheaper lens options. Sony NEX6 appeal is lighter which is nice for traveling, and record better video.

Although, my own interpretation of the test results from reviews are not necessarily the same. The sensor, visually looking at test shots comparison, I don't find the 24MP sensor in D5200 is better than 16MP in NEX6. Sometime I felt that the 16MP appears sharper in test shots. I wonder if I am interpreting these results wrongly. On shutter lag from imaging-resource.com review, which I associate with autofocus speed, I found they are comparable across the all test performed. But many reviews sometime says NEX6 is not as fast as consumer DSLR (which I assume D5200 belong to this), and this again contradict my own interpretation (and the hard number on the imaging-resource.com review). Since, I never really pay attentions to such details in the past, I trust reviews where I expect they have dealt with many products.

My questions, based on your experience with D5200 or equivalent DSLR (eg. D5100, etc) and also NEX6 or equivalent, are:

1. Does NEX6 really have worse sensor than D5200? Noticeably more noise, less sharp, etc.

2. Does NEX6 have worse autofocus speed and accuracy? Will the difference make a difference in shooting moving objects, in low-light, both, etc?

Right now I am leaning to D5200 to start because I found both perform comparably in store, D5200 reviews slightly better in sensor performance and autofocus, considering lens option are potentially cheaper for D5200, and I don't mind carrying the D5200 if it is really better than NEX6. However, if sensor and autofocus performance does not make a significant enough difference between the two, then I lean towards NEX6 since it is more portable. I know that I probably won't reach either camera limitation today with my skills, but as I improve my skills, then I would get a camera that has less limitation. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks!

I've had a couple of DSLRs and currently own a new c3 which I've had about a year and am thinking of replacing with something else. I prefer DSLRs in use, but nex cameras when it comes to carrying them around. In terms of sensor quality I think the difference between the 2 camera models is negligible. Not perceivable in most cases. Don't worry about it.
The AF on DSLRs tends to be faster than nex cameras, particularly in poor lighting. There is no doubt about that you can mess around with manual focus lenses on nex cameras, but Its not for everyone. I never found it as easy as many would have you believe.
Its a tough choice, but if fast moving kids are your primary subject then the DSLR is a solid choice. If motion tracking wasn't an issue then I'd say go with nex.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 830Gear list
Like?
Re: Decide for yourself......
In reply to RonFrank, 11 months ago

RonFrank wrote:

One advantage evident here is all of Mel's shots are done in bright sunlight on a 35' boat. When shooting in mixed light and especially low light with potential focus points from a few feet thru infinity the AF will miss more.

I certainly agree there is a learning curve.

Unfortunately there is a real issue here with mirrorless AF. The AF on a DSLR is a non issue, so much that it is rarely discussed outside of tricky or difficult focus subjects like BIF. This is why I suggested the Op needs to make up his own mind.

From everything I read the jury is still out, and the AF system is not bulletproof. I am thinking of getting the 6 for every day used with the kit lens, so compact. Then the DSLR for when the subject matter is more challenging. For a carry everywhere camera the results do not have to be perfect, and I want compact and light.

First, I disagree that AF on DSLR is a non issue. It's certainly works much faster to lock on object in low light, however in my experience it's also more prone to lock on a wrong part of the subject (at least when comparing to CDAF on Nex F3, perhaps the PDAF has the same issues on Nex 6 ?) But yes, overall the AF on DSLRs is faster and better in low light.

However, the strongest part of Nex for me is the focus peaking. I am shooting lots of portraits and getting eyes in focus has sometimes been a struggle with DSLR, no matter how good the AF on them is, the only sure way to get a sharp portrait was to manually adjust the focus. The peaking on Nex makes it very easy.

So, DSLR = better focusing on moving objects, Nex = better focus on still objects and portability, I think Nex + LAEA2 = best of both worlds.

 Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
Re: The zooms are not dark hyenadog!
In reply to Caerolle, 11 months ago

Caerolle wrote:

I wonder how many people know that f is focal length divided by aperture diameter?

It is not strictly necessary to know this for photography (as opposed to the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO).

But for judging lens sizes it is helpful to know. In this case, 85 / 42.5 = 2.  For a 1.8/50 lens the maximum diaphragm diameter is 27.7 mm. The diaphragm assembly includes the blades around the opening and depending on the design cam add up to the same amount. Total lens diameter is thus around 50 mm. For a 2/85 lens the maximum diaphragm is 42.5 mm. A compact legacy Nikon 2/85 AI-s is 64 mm in diameter but it does not include electronic diaphragm, auto-focus and OSS motors inside the lens. As a very rough guide, add 55% to the dimensions of the SAL 1.8/50 to get the approximate size of a SAL 2/85.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Re: The zooms are not dark hyenadog!
In reply to 120 to 35, 11 months ago

My point was, it is good to know when you are dreaming of large aperture telephoto lens.

Most people don't know what they are asking for, I think. Too bad things work that way, I would love to have a camera system that was small and light to carry, yet immediately became large enough to have all the buttons and focal length and brightness I wanted when I actually used it. Oh, and for cheap, too.

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,120Gear list
Like?
Goes to show you how many opinions can differ...
In reply to paulcraig, 11 months ago

While Paul mentions routinely having issues getting accurate focus with the NEX, Mel mentions having only occasional difficulty.  RonFrank adds that it's more problems in low light and trickier focus challenges where he sees the NEX having focus problems, and many mention using DMF or manual focusing as an aid or backup.  So to add to the myriad of different experiences, consider that I have no focus problems with two different NEX models, both CDAF only and not even with the PDAF on sensor...I accurately get focus on every item I intend, I shoot moving targets and in low light very frequently, and I also shoot with a DSLR that has a traditional phase-detect AF system and fantastically accurate focus, and do not find the NEX to be appreciably less accurate in almost any situation, and only a little slower to acquire something like a moving subject, and not as able to continuously track and adjust focus as the subject moves compared to a DSLR.

I'm sure much has to do with each person's experience, settings, style, etc.  But just know that while some mention struggling mightily with NEX AF, others only have periodic issues, others still think it only lacks in certain conditions, and still a few more like myself find the AF system to be perfectly accurate and reliable in nearly any condition.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PhilouG
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: The zooms are not dark hyenadog!
In reply to 120 to 35, 11 months ago

For video, the D5200 is a killer tool !
http://www.eoshd.com/content/9653/nikon-d5200-review

I have the nex-5R and the Nikon D5100, so not exactly you dilema, but close.

I love the Nex as my carry around camera, light, good IQ, always in my bag.
I love using cheap lenses and MF using focus peaking it's a joy ! I found a 135mm f/2.8 for 35 buck, found russian M39 lenses have caracters and are soo tiny ! I have the lens turbo to reuse my nikon lenses too !

I only use my D5100, when I have an assigment for shooting action (especially in low-light), then I take the sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and I have a fast AF-C !

 PhilouG's gear list:PhilouG's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 NEX5R Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
120 to 35
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
Re: The zooms are not dark hyenadog!
In reply to Caerolle, 11 months ago

Caerolle wrote:

My point was, it is good to know when you are dreaming of large aperture telephoto lens.

Most people don't know what they are asking for, I think. Too bad things work that way, I would love to have a camera system that was small and light to carry, yet immediately became large enough to have all the buttons and focal length and brightness I wanted when I actually used it. Oh, and for cheap, too.

Agreed. I do also agree with hyenadog about the need for fast primes at affordable prices. In other words, we always have to compromise on one or more parameter when we wish for something.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kiichiro
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to Har L, 11 months ago

Har L wrote:

Hi,

I am new user here, but have been reading the forum the last few weeks since I am getting interested in getting a better camera than a Fuji f40fd point and shoot. It is time to update it to a camera that can give better image quality and also more versatile to shoot in various conditions. I will be using it as general purpose camera to take pictures such as of a 2 years old indoor and outdoor, and also take it along during vacation trip, and also occasional video clips.

I have narrowed it down to Nikon D5200 and Sony NEX6 from reading various reviews and also forums. I played around with both camera in store, but not side by side. So far they both perform equally well in store, but I can only do limited test, ie. can't do low light situation, fast moving object, etc.

Based on review, the Nikon D5200 appeal to me are 24MP sensor that reviews slightly better than 16MP of NEX6, supposedly better autofocus speed and accuracy, appear to be easier/direct control with more buttons, and probably cheaper lens options. Sony NEX6 appeal is lighter which is nice for traveling, and record better video.

Although, my own interpretation of the test results from reviews are not necessarily the same. The sensor, visually looking at test shots comparison, I don't find the 24MP sensor in D5200 is better than 16MP in NEX6. Sometime I felt that the 16MP appears sharper in test shots. I wonder if I am interpreting these results wrongly. On shutter lag from imaging-resource.com review, which I associate with autofocus speed, I found they are comparable across the all test performed. But many reviews sometime says NEX6 is not as fast as consumer DSLR (which I assume D5200 belong to this), and this again contradict my own interpretation (and the hard number on the imaging-resource.com review). Since, I never really pay attentions to such details in the past, I trust reviews where I expect they have dealt with many products.

My questions, based on your experience with D5200 or equivalent DSLR (eg. D5100, etc) and also NEX6 or equivalent, are:

1. Does NEX6 really have worse sensor than D5200? Noticeably more noise, less sharp, etc.

2. Does NEX6 have worse autofocus speed and accuracy? Will the difference make a difference in shooting moving objects, in low-light, both, etc?

Right now I am leaning to D5200 to start because I found both perform comparably in store, D5200 reviews slightly better in sensor performance and autofocus, considering lens option are potentially cheaper for D5200, and I don't mind carrying the D5200 if it is really better than NEX6. However, if sensor and autofocus performance does not make a significant enough difference between the two, then I lean towards NEX6 since it is more portable. I know that I probably won't reach either camera limitation today with my skills, but as I improve my skills, then I would get a camera that has less limitation. Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks!

You have already done your research and the only thing you should think about is the weight, AF speed, and prices on lenses.

1) AF speed = Nikon

2) Lense prices = Nikon

3) Weight = Sony

The sensorare pretty close to one another and I bet if someone showed you a few pictures from each camera and you won't be able to tell which camera took it. AF speed is faster but with bigger body and lenses would you carry it around with you all the time? The only advantage with the NEX-6 is that it is so small and light but you said you don't mind carrying the SLR then you should get the Nikon 5200 because it is the better camera for you.

For me I went with the NEX-6 for small form but I have the LA-EA2 to grow the camera to a SLR size and get the faster AF. I have legacy glasses, A-Mount lenses, and E-mount lenses. I have many options on the NEX-6 that I can't do on a camera like the Nikon 5200. I can't make that camera smaller and lighter

 Kiichiro's gear list:Kiichiro's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX20 RX100 III Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Re: The zooms are not dark hyenadog!
In reply to 120 to 35, 11 months ago

I agree. I actually switched from NEX to Fuji X because of my frustrations with the direction Sony was taking with the NEX systems, most particularly the fast prime lenses. And, that they said e-mount would be low end, and A-mount high end, and if NEX shooters wanted better glass, they could always get the SLT adapter and use the A-mount lenses. No, sorry, not what I had in mind. I see people all excited about the 'A" series (way to confuse low-information camera users, Sony!), that they are excited and waiting for the A5000, A7000, and even A9000, and I shake my head. Based on what Sony itself has said, I would think A5000 is as high as it will go, and there won't be another NEX-7, likely? Instead, you will have A-mount mirrorless, starting probably at the 5 or 7 level. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330
Like?
Re: I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to ohcello, 11 months ago

I agree that a P&S is not much better than a good phone cam in bright light, but my statement stands about not being able to see the difference at normal viewing distance.

But anyway your plan makes sense. The difficulty of the AF on Nex is wildly exaggerated here. You'll probably like the Nex.  It certainly takes much better pictures at higher ISOs than any small sensor camera including the RX100.  (Also its great if you like pixel peeping bright light photos.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,494Gear list
Like?
Re: I think that's a mistake to get 3N and 5200
In reply to wb2trf, 11 months ago

wb2trf wrote:

I agree that a P&S is not much better than a good phone cam in bright light, but my statement stands about not being able to see the difference at normal viewing distance.

But anyway your plan makes sense. The difficulty of the AF on Nex is wildly exaggerated here. You'll probably like the Nex. It certainly takes much better pictures at higher ISOs than any small sensor camera including the RX100. (Also its great if you like pixel peeping bright light photos.)

Well, my normal viewing distance is a 24" 1920x1200 lcd monitor about 18" from my eyes.... so I can certainly tell the difference between a point and shoot >>> RX100 >>> APS-C , etc.  Plus, I do a lot of cropping so it helps to have max quality.... heck, I'm tempted to get an old Canon 5D just for portraits!! : )

Anyways, I'm 90% sure I'll get the 3N with kit to start at this point, and perhaps the 35mm f/1.8.  The one thing I wish they had was a smaller, fast prime (like the samsung 30mm f/2), but who knows... maybe down the line.  I also ready Tamron has a patent out for a 35mm f/1.4 mirrorless so there's hope for even yet more speed perhaps.

 ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,137Gear list
Like?
Re: Decide for yourself......
In reply to RonFrank, 11 months ago

Yes, each of us has to decide what is important to them and what they want to shoot. The dSLRs I have used certainly achieve focus fast, like instantly, while my mirrorless takes longer, and often wont even get focus. On the other hand, when I compare the same shots from the two, the focus is always sharper on my mirrorless. If you have a camera that you can adjust microfocus, and are inclined to do that, I guess you can get there (except for zooms that have focus shift with focal length, or with stopping down), but I prefer my mirrorless, for what I do. If I was taking a lot of pictures of things that moved, I'd likely be more inclined to use a dSLR.

 Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
IrGoofy
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: Choosing between Nikon D5200 or Sony NEX6
In reply to CosmoZooo, 11 months ago

CosmoZooo wrote:

Very interesting to see this type of thinking on the NEX in a scenario where I would consider the D5200 to be a clear winner, video aside.

I've owned the NEX-6 for a while now and while I've never used a DSLR, but if I had to do this again I'd either rent or buy one and try it out.

I went back and forth on the NEX-6 finally keeping it (I've bought it twice, returning it the first time) but at the end of the day I should have tried a DSLR. I tried a Panny GX1 m43 and that made me want to sprint back to NEX but again I should have tried a DSLR too.

Shooting kids in low light is exactly where NEX shows it's weakest side - the focusing is just not fast enough. Yes, I make it work...I've found ways to rely on AF-C to take decent shots, but there are plenty of misses and those misses often would have been better shots then the ones that succeed. And if I hand a camera over to my wife in those situations - forget it. I remember trying to shoot this event at my house before I learned how to better utilize the camera, dim dining room lights - I relied on multi-focus and missed almost all of the shots

With NEX-6 it's not about how many good low-light moving kids shots you can keep - it's about how many you're going to have to throw away or simply miss due to slow focus and I've missed plenty.

Here's my advice TRY THEM BOTH! I strongly recommend you follow that advice even if you don't feel like it. There are plenty of retailers, Amazon being one, where you can return the product if you don't like it. Start with a DSLR.

From what I understand the D5200 has an awesome sensor, as good as NEX if not better but you do get more MP which will make larger prints better or give you more room for down sampling for cleaner results or cropping.

The NEX will likely do better in video - D5200 might hunt more and you will likely get lens noises in the audio recording. With NEX you just have a tiny bit of noise with a power zoom lens like 16-50 during zooming.

If video is important to you, as it was to me, I am really excited about the Canon Dual pixel AF - it is worth taking a peak at the Canon 70D although I think the tech will end up in the rest of the lineup soon. It is also the tech that has the potential to place the Canon at the top of the mirrorless market.

Good luck with your decision - try them both - trust me, it's the best thing you can do. AF speed in low light is the Achilles heel of the NEX-6 and the Hybrid AF doesn't help enough.

I had NEX-5 for 2 weeks, NEX-6 for 2 months. I had tried from macro, kids in low light to bird in flight. I had LA-EA2 + few A mount lens. I have to agree with you on the NEX's weakness.

I shoot a lot moving objects in low light (kids, events) even with LA-EA2 adapter, the % of keeping good photos was low. I threw away a lot of good moment but blurry pictures. After 1 months of using LA-EA2 adapter, I think the adapter has some weaknesses. First, it would off shift the focus sometimes. For instance, I used LA-EA2 + Tamron 28-75mm on tripod, single center focus, pulled 4,5 shots continuously on the same target. At least 1 shot would be off focus a bit. 2nd weakness is the photos look softer and not as sharp (maybe too many extra glasses?) BIF, it can be done but in my untrained eyes and hands, out of 100 shots, I could only keep 6 or 7 (not using LA-EA2.) I was very happy when I got a clear, good shot. It felt like a great achievement.

NEX is a wonderful camera. However, depends on what you want to shoot, it may give you a lot of frustrations.

For me, I ended up returning NEX-6 and picked up A77 (still in debate if I should keep A77 or go with D7100.) I am still on the learning curve with A77, however, I smile a lot more with recent photos.

Best luck to your purchase.

 IrGoofy's gear list:IrGoofy's gear list
Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads