Canon G16

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Rick Hughes
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Canon G16
11 months ago

Just when I was about to buy the Canon G15 and it's housing ... find out there is a new G16
Does all G15 can do (same lens & features)
Additions:
The G15 had good AF capability.... G16 increases this by 41%
G16 now has full UHS Class 1 support for faster data transfer (burst mode or video)
Has Wifi and GPS
Increase in fps form 2.1 (which was low) to 12.2
Impressive increase in HD video to support 60 fps
DIGIC processor now takes a step up to Digic 6, with claimed big increases in low light performance.

An increase in autofocus speed combined with x5 increase in burst mode (at least initial) could make it very useful benefits for Underwater use.

It's very bright f1.8 lens is the same, with it's 1cm min focus distance for macro

My use as well as well as general photo snapping is for Underwater photography - As usual Canon have their own housing .. this time the WP-DC52, I know this is not up to a Nauticam/Fantasea or similar but probably well 40m capability matched to this non-SLR happy snapper camera.

What do you thinkĀ  - worth getting instead of G15

evandijken
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon G16
In reply to Rick Hughes, 11 months ago

Always choose the finest, because you never regret.

Eric

evandijken's gear list:evandijken's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?

Rick Hughes wrote:

Just when I was about to buy the Canon G15 and it's housing ... find out there is a new G16
Does all G15 can do (same lens & features)
Additions:
The G15 had good AF capability.... G16 increases this by 41%
G16 now has full UHS Class 1 support for faster data transfer (burst mode or video)
Has Wifi and GPS
Increase in fps form 2.1 (which was low) to 12.2

The G15 has a 10 fps burst mode (full resolution), but the G16 will do 9.5 fps for 500 photos and 12 fps for a second or three.

Impressive increase in HD video to support 60 fps

No thanks, that will make file sizes double!

DIGIC processor now takes a step up to Digic 6, with claimed big increases in low light performance.

That's just more JPEG noise removal.

An increase in autofocus speed combined with x5 increase in burst mode (at least initial) could make it very useful benefits for Underwater use.

It's very bright f1.8 lens is the same, with it's 1cm min focus distance for macro

My use as well as well as general photo snapping is for Underwater photography - As usual Canon have their own housing .. this time the WP-DC52, I know this is not up to a Nauticam/Fantasea or similar but probably well 40m capability matched to this non-SLR happy snapper camera.

What do you think - worth getting instead of G15

Rick Hughes
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, 11 months ago

"DIGIC processor now takes a step up to Digic 6,..."

-That's just more JPEG noise removal.

Canon say it's what gives the 41% faster AF and increased lowlight performance.

DavidC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,796
Like?
Re: Canon G16 n/t
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 758
Like?

If one does not care about paying a $100 more for the G16 then go for it. But you are not really getting that much better preforming camera then the G15. To me it is just like when Canon replaced the G11 with the G12, just a move to get a new camera sold quickly without a real Design and Engineering project.

Rick Hughes
Like?
In reply to digitalcuriosity, 11 months ago

digitalcuriosity wrote:

If one does not care about paying a $100 more for the G16 then go for it. But you are not really getting that much better preforming camera then the G15. To me it is just like when Canon replaced the G11 with the G12, just a move to get a new camera sold quickly without a real Design and Engineering project.

Actually to me it does seem I am getting more for what I will use camera for (Scuba) .... faster AF & significantly improved low light capability.

I appreciate though that this may not be same for others

j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavidC, 11 months ago

Thank you for the link, David.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Rick Hughes
Like?
In reply to DavidC, 11 months ago

DavidC wrote:

Digic 6 ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcMoNL_pp8c

Thanks for that .. seems a lot f enhancements in this version.

Devvy
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

I have used both the G12 and G15, and there is a huge difference between the two in terms of speed (mainly AF), and less in picture quality. The G15 feels really fast and snappy, not sure how much the G16 improves on this, but who knows! Looking at the G16 samples on dpreview, I do not expect a massive improvement on low-light performance, probably just a bit.

If I am not mistaken, there was a little more time between the release of the G12 and the G15 than there is now between the G15 and G16, so the differences might be less pronounced this time. For me, the most important feature of the G15 is unchanged in the G16: the lens. 60p Full HD is nice however, if you use it.

Rick Hughes
Like?
In reply to Devvy, 11 months ago

I have used both the G12 and G15, and there is a huge difference between the two in terms of speed (mainly AF), and less in picture quality. The G15 feels really fast and snappy, not sure how much the G16 improves on this, but who knows! Looking at the G16 samples on dpreview, I do not expect a massive improvement on low-light performance, probably just a bit.

If I am not mistaken, there was a little more time between the release of the G12 and the G15 than there is now between the G15 and G16, so the differences might be less pronounced this time. For me, the most important feature of the G15 is unchanged in the G16: the lens. 60p Full HD is nice however, if you use it.

Agree that lens is unchanged, it is still a good lens, even though lagging competition on the long end ... but less of an issue for me.
The 41% increase in AF is certainly worth me waiting for.

RedFox88
Forum ProPosts: 21,617
Like?

Rick Hughes wrote:

-That's just more JPEG noise removal.

Canon say it's what gives the 41% faster AF and increased lowlight performance.

Yes the CPU does more than noise removal but the "increase lowlight performance" is the faster CPU being able to do more advanced noise removal for JPGs.

Matte Steven
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to RedFox88, 4 months ago

Does Canon G16 has underwater mode?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads