New Sigma supertelephoto lenses coming in 2014?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,268Gear list
Like?
New Sigma supertelephoto lenses coming in 2014?
11 months ago

Yes, according to CR. http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/08/big-sigma-primes-cr2/ Based on the excellence of Sigma's latest designs, this would be very good news indeed.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 607Gear list
Like?
Re: New Sigma supertelephoto lenses coming in 2014?
In reply to JimPearce, 11 months ago

I am looking forward to it. If very good? I will be able to change mounts and still use the lens. I hope it turns out they are a superb lens and a good deal. I want to try one if it is.

-- hide signature --

Presently living in Asia

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Glen78
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?

Good to hear as I have been interested in a 500 f/4 but not ready to spend $9k. They will probably still be at least $4-5k though. I wonder if they might do something more like a 600 f/5.6 though at say $2-3k. That would be ideal for my needs and price tolerance.

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +5 more
JimPearce
Like?
Well, I doubt that...
In reply to Glen78, 11 months ago

A 600 f5.6 would certainly cost more than a 300 f2.8.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Glen78
Like?
Re: Well, I doubt that...

Well, the nikkor 300 2.8 is $5900 so I would guess Sigma would come in at least half that price or around $2900. The might be able to do a 600 5.6 in that range. I am guessing their 500 f/4 will be around $4k and 400 2.8 and 600 4 at $5k.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +5 more
JimPearce
Like?
Unlikely...

Sigma 300 f2.8s are currently going for $3400 with no OS. The old 500 f4.5 goes for $5000. I would expect the new lenses to be more - rather than less - expensive.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Glen78
Like?
Re: Unlikely...

Sigma 300 f2.8s are currently going for $3400 with no OS. The old 500 f4.5 goes for $5000. I would expect the new lenses to be more - rather than less - expensive.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Sigma's latest 120-300 f/2.8 zoom sells for $3500 new and the old version sells for $2500. I don't think it is a stretch to think a 300 f/2.8 prime built to the same quality would cost under $3000.

Actually I think Sigma will have a hard time selling these for much more than half their Nikon and Canon counterparts.

resident
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362Gear list
Like?

My first lens from Sigma is the new 120-300mm and I have to say it's a great bit of gear. Cost for me in Australia was under 3K $2985 to be exact so was very pleased with the price as well.

If the new lenses are of the same quality then I look forward to adding a few more Sigma's to my collection. The 120-300mm in my opinion is better finished than my Nikkors at the moment.

Good work on Sigma's behalf and hope they keep producing quality products and then we might see Nikon/Canon maybe forced to reduce prices which is good fo0r all.

-- hide signature --

badui bourizk
www.studio102.net/wp
www.studio102.net/gallery

resident's gear list:resident's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
wisep01
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?

Glen78 wrote:

Sigma 300 f2.8s are currently going for $3400 with no OS. The old 500 f4.5 goes for $5000. I would expect the new lenses to be more - rather than less - expensive.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Sigma's latest 120-300 f/2.8 zoom sells for $3500 new and the old version sells for $2500. I don't think it is a stretch to think a 300 f/2.8 prime built to the same quality would cost under $3000.

Actually I think Sigma will have a hard time selling these for much more than half their Nikon and Canon counterparts.

Sigma's rebranding initiative is definitely a move towards bolstering the reputation of its brand with a mind toward leveraging higher margin sales.  All indications suggest the company's transition from price-based competition to competition based on brand differentiation as a means toward increased market share .

However, Sigma currently does not have the kind of cachet that, say, Zeiss does, and whereas it would be reasonable for one to expect forthcoming offerings to be cheaper than their Nikkor counterparts, forecasting them to be cheaper than their predecessors in Sigma's lineup would be, perhaps, wishful thinking, in my view.

wisep01's gear list:wisep01's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Kodak EasyShare P880 Leica Digilux 2 Nikon Coolpix S51c Olympus C-50 Zoom +125 more
Glen78
Like?
In reply to wisep01, 11 months ago

The new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 is part of that new branding image and just recently started shipping. It is $3500 and goes to 300 f/2.8 as a zoom. A 300 f/2.8 prime should be somewhat cheaper and I think these lenses will sell for around half of their Canon and Nikon equivalents. If they go much higher in price than that most who can afford lenses in this price range will opt for the brand lenses. Pros will almost surely buy the brand lenses anyways so the primary market is going to be enthusiasts with lots of disposable income.

Scottelly
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
In reply to Glen78, 5 months ago

Glen78 wrote:

The new Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 is part of that new branding image and just recently started shipping. It is $3500 and goes to 300 f/2.8 as a zoom. A 300 f/2.8 prime should be somewhat cheaper and I think these lenses will sell for around half of their Canon and Nikon equivalents. If they go much higher in price than that most who can afford lenses in this price range will opt for the brand lenses. Pros will almost surely buy the brand lenses anyways so the primary market is going to be enthusiasts with lots of disposable income.

i think Sigma will charge about 2/3 the price. Sometimes they have been charging half, but sometimes their lenses have almost matched the price of the competition. Just look at the price of the new 24-105mm f4 DG OS HSM A ($899). It's priced at 3/4 of what the Canon 24-105mm f4 L IS is priced ($1,149). That is an unusual case, because it is likely to be Sony buyers who purchase that lens the most, but professionals already use Sigma lenses. Often professionals are the ones who buy the cheaper equipment, because they just don't have the funding of dentists and lawyers who shoot photos as a hobby. The successful pros often buy Canon or Nikon lenses, but there are very few of them. More often pros are scrounging to afford equipment and just don't have the money to spend $10,000 on a lens. So they buy a Sigma 500mm f4.5 for $5,000. They would buy it for $6,000 or $7,000 if that's what they had to pay. People will buy Sigma even more, if Sigma does indeed make a slew of new giants that compete head-to-head against Canon and Nikon. Why? Because Sigma lenses are now equivalent (in image quality, look, and feel/heft), and in some cases superior to their Canon and/or Nikon counterparts. Just look at the 35mm f1.4 DG HSM A and the new 50mm f1.4 DG HSM A. Those lenses are as good or better than their counterparts from Canon and Nikon. The Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 DG OS HSM S is superior to any wide-aperture long telephoto zoom from Canon or Nikon. Sigma now has a reputation that is approaching that of Canon and Nikon. People have seen that Sigma has stepped up their design, manufacturing, and quality control. I can see a lot of people with that 120-300mm lens buying a Sigma 400mm f2.8 DG OS HSM S. I can also see a lot of the people who have a Canon 300mm f2.8 L IS making the decision to get a Sigma 400mm f2.8 rather then spending thousands more for a Canon, purely based on the reviews and reputation of Sigma's recent offerings. Likewise with Nikon shooters.

In my opinion a lot of would-be Sigma camera buyers have decided to NOT buy a Sigma SD1, because Sigma just does not offer the professional range of lenses that the competition offers, even at the same price. Sigma will be able to sell their new lenses for just about the same price that Canon and Nikon sells their lenses, though I doubt they will try. I think that as long as they offer their lenses for 30% less than the Canon and Nikon counterparts they will sell them. Sure, there are other reasons the Sigma SD1 has sold slowly too (like price, wait times for buffer clearing, lack of live-view, etc.), but Sigma can not only bolster their camera sales by introducing a range of new, high-quality lenses that match the quality of Canon and Nikon lenses (even at prices close to their counterparts) . . . they can also sell a lot more lenses, competing directly against Nikon and Canon counterparts, even though their prices might be more similar than in the past. One more of the many reasons why is the fact that a Canon shooter can now buy lenses with the intention of switching to Nikon at some point in the future. Sigma will change out the mounts of their new S lenses for you, so if you just happen to have $10,000 invested in a couple of expensive Sigma lenses, you don't have to sell them to switch camera brands. Even if you want to switch to Sigma or Sony!

Take a look at the current Sigma 300mm f2.8. It's half the price of the Canon, but the canon has image stabilization. The Sigma doesn't. I am positive the new Sigma 300mm f2.8 will be more expensive than the one they are selling now. Why? Because it will be an OS lens that also performs better (faster auto-focus and sharper photos).

I hope Sigma introduces a 600mm f4 DG OS HSM A first. I think it will be $7,999 retail. That will make it significantly more expensive than the current 500mm f4.5, and it will still sell well against the much more expensive Canon and Nikon 600mm f4 lenses (about $2,000 more for the Nikon and about $5,000 more for the Canon).

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +5 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,300
Like?
In reply to resident, 5 months ago

If you go with a Sigma telephoto you will be limited to using Sigma teleconverters with them. I like having one set of Nikon teleconverters that work with multiple Nikon lenses.

Where Sigma shines is with lenses like the 150-500mm zoom where there is no expectation of using the lens with a teleconverter.

JimPearce
Like?
Really calson?
In reply to calson, 5 months ago

I carry a third party TC as a backup and to use with my 105mm f2.8 macro. I don't think anyone saving thousands on a supertelephoto will be too concerned about $300 for a teleconverter. A bigger concern might be Nikon's recent habit of developing firmware that doesn't work with Sigma lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Scottelly
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
Re: Really calson?
In reply to JimPearce, 5 months ago

JimPearce wrote:

I carry a third party TC as a backup and to use with my 105mm f2.8 macro. I don't think anyone saving thousands on a supertelephoto will be too concerned about $300 for a teleconverter. A bigger concern might be Nikon's recent habit of developing firmware that doesn't work with Sigma lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jim

One of the good things about these new lenses is their ability to be reprogrammed by the user/owner (if the user/owner buys the Sigma usb dock). Updates to make the lenses compatible with the latest Nikon firmware will surely be released by Sigma not long after an incompatibility is discovered, and with the usb dock the lens can be updated quickly, without a need to "take it in" or "ship it away" for service. I'll be buying one of those docks as soon as I get one of the newer lenses, because they cost less than $100, and using one of those things you can customize your lens to suit your shooting style.

Take THAT Nikon!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/967590-REG/sigma_878306_usb_dock_for_nikon.html

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sigma SD14 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +5 more
rudyr
Regular MemberPosts: 335
Like?
Re: Really calson?
In reply to Scottelly, 5 months ago

Yep - I picked up a Sigma 35 that already had the updated firmware, but but the dock from the seller as well in anticipation of future Sigma lenses just like these that might need AF fine tuning or firmware updates.

1971_M5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,834Gear list
Like?

Very thoughtful analysis.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.

1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +2 more
JimPearce
Like?
Well...

Speaking of that 600 f4, it wouldn't equal the Canon in weight or sharpness without fluorite elements. So, maybe it will sell for $8000. I would certainly look very hard at an $8000 8 pound 600 f4 from Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Nikon D7100
Boui
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: Well...

Would be good if Sigma was elaborating on what they can do best: atypical lenses, like the 200-500mm f2.8, or the 300-800mm f5.6. If they were making a 200-500mm f4, I'm sure they would make many people happy!

Bobby Handal
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,030Gear list
Like?

I own the 300-800mm and compared it side by side with 500mm vr and with 200-400mm vrI and the IQ is comparable, the color rendition is a little "yellower" than the nikons, but I think that this happens with all sigmas.  Regretfully the 300-800mm does not have OS, and also it is huge and heavy.  I also own the 50-500mm OS and it is nothing to sneeze at.

Now having said that, if Sigma came out with light weight fixed lenses like a 600mm or 800mm with OS, that also had closer focusing capabilities , at a aggressive price, I think they would sell a lot of them. Zooms say a 200-600 perhaps.

Anyway, the more bigger lenses are out there catering to nature/sports photographers the better.

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Nikon D5100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +42 more
KnightPhoto2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,333Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bobby Handal, 5 months ago

Bobby Handal wrote:

I own the 300-800mm and compared it side by side with 500mm vr and with 200-400mm vrI and the IQ is comparable, the color rendition is a little "yellower" than the nikons, but I think that this happens with all sigmas. Regretfully the 300-800mm does not have OS, and also it is huge and heavy. I also own the 50-500mm OS and it is nothing to sneeze at.

Now having said that, if Sigma came out with light weight fixed lenses like a 600mm or 800mm with OS, that also had closer focusing capabilities , at a aggressive price, I think they would sell a lot of them. Zooms say a 200-600 perhaps.

Anyway, the more bigger lenses are out there catering to nature/sports photographers the better.

-- hide signature --

www.photoexpedition.net
www.fotoclubhonduras.com

So at 500mm the Sigma 300-800 is comparable then?  Also, how is it at 600/800mm?

Yep, a light-weight Sigma 600mm f/4 (or f/5.6?) sharp fast prime would be a killer on the market. If Sigma comes out with a big heavy lens though, it really wouldn't appeal to me.  Weight along the lines of the Canon II super-teles would definitely catch my attention.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads