Like?
Re: " Focus Box"
In reply to msstella, Aug 26, 2013

msstella wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

msstella wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

msstella wrote:

thanks Mako. I appreciate your help. In all pictures I focused on the area by the maroon bush by the building and thought I had focus lock. I will try again.

According to ViewNX2 and other EXIF viewers, focus was never locked in any of the pics. Check the AF/M switch on both lens and camera body. Cycle them to AF. Makes sure the lens is mounted properly, clicks in place, and the lens release button is not stuck...redo testing again. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Mako, where do you see that focus was never locked in the viewers. I don't see that information when I look at the EXIF. Where do I look?

Simplest way..use viewNX2 and click on the "focus Point" box at the top right area so it turns yellow. If focus was locked and the green light was lit in the viewfinder at the time of capture...you will see a red box on the image showing what AF sensor was active. If no red box...no green light or lock.

Thanks. Yes, I have the red box.

That makes since. The re-size is causing that part of the EXIF to be dropped and why I can't confirm. Your red box confirms focus.

I retested and did get the green dot indicating focus was locked. I did as you suggested above and retested again at f8. The center is okay but the rest of the image is a mess still, especially on the left. I am getting rather frustrated.

Do you now get a red box in viewNX2 with the new pic? Have you tried with another lens? Do you get a red box with that lens? Me thinks there may be a lens contact issue. Defocus the lens so it is completely blurry (by turning the focus ring)...when you try to auto focus..does it move?

When looking at the RAW files in viewNX2, they all have the red box showing for the middle sensor, the one I thought I was using. This includes the RAW files of the jpegs I uploaded here. After defocusing the lens and trying to autofocus it does move.

Here is the latest test. f8 ISO 200, VR off, shutter 100. Jpeg but the RAW file showed the red box indicating focus was locked. Still the same issue.

It may be that the lens is out of calibration then. Set up a target like a flat newspaper on a wall. Something easy to focus on and flat to the sensor. The problem with using scenes like the one above is that the viewfinder focus system may not focus on what you think it is. 3D scenes can be a problem when testing focus. You need a large flat target like a brick wall. Use aperture priority and shoot wide open (smallest f number). Change ISO so that your faster than 1/200s shutter speed. Take a few shots (in good light if you can) then take a few using LiveView. Liveview will give perfect focus and if the Viewfinder shots are a bit blurry in comparison, then it's a lens calibration issue. That assumes all your other lens are OK.

Don't get frustrated, it takes a little time to sort it out.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msstella
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
Re: " Focus Box"
In reply to Mako2011, Aug 27, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

msstella wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

msstella wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

msstella wrote:

thanks Mako. I appreciate your help. In all pictures I focused on the area by the maroon bush by the building and thought I had focus lock. I will try again.

According to ViewNX2 and other EXIF viewers, focus was never locked in any of the pics. Check the AF/M switch on both lens and camera body. Cycle them to AF. Makes sure the lens is mounted properly, clicks in place, and the lens release button is not stuck...redo testing again. Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Mako, where do you see that focus was never locked in the viewers. I don't see that information when I look at the EXIF. Where do I look?

Simplest way..use viewNX2 and click on the "focus Point" box at the top right area so it turns yellow. If focus was locked and the green light was lit in the viewfinder at the time of capture...you will see a red box on the image showing what AF sensor was active. If no red box...no green light or lock.

Thanks. Yes, I have the red box.

That makes since. The re-size is causing that part of the EXIF to be dropped and why I can't confirm. Your red box confirms focus.

I retested and did get the green dot indicating focus was locked. I did as you suggested above and retested again at f8. The center is okay but the rest of the image is a mess still, especially on the left. I am getting rather frustrated.

Do you now get a red box in viewNX2 with the new pic? Have you tried with another lens? Do you get a red box with that lens? Me thinks there may be a lens contact issue. Defocus the lens so it is completely blurry (by turning the focus ring)...when you try to auto focus..does it move?

When looking at the RAW files in viewNX2, they all have the red box showing for the middle sensor, the one I thought I was using. This includes the RAW files of the jpegs I uploaded here. After defocusing the lens and trying to autofocus it does move.

Here is the latest test. f8 ISO 200, VR off, shutter 100. Jpeg but the RAW file showed the red box indicating focus was locked. Still the same issue.

It may be that the lens is out of calibration then. Set up a target like a flat newspaper on a wall. Something easy to focus on and flat to the sensor. The problem with using scenes like the one above is that the viewfinder focus system may not focus on what you think it is. 3D scenes can be a problem when testing focus. You need a large flat target like a brick wall. Use aperture priority and shoot wide open (smallest f number). Change ISO so that your faster than 1/200s shutter speed. Take a few shots (in good light if you can) then take a few using LiveView. Liveview will give perfect focus and if the Viewfinder shots are a bit blurry in comparison, then it's a lens calibration issue. That assumes all your other lens are OK.

Don't get frustrated, it takes a little time to sort it out.

Thanks Mako. I tried it but I don't see much difference between the two. Losing light now. I think I will have to send it in and try to get repair or new copy. I wish I would have used it more early on to know if there were issues right from the start. I don't do many landscapes and used my other lenses for portraits, closeups and telephoto nature stuff.

-- hide signature --

speedy mate
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Re: Help needed with 18-55 on D5100
In reply to msstella, Aug 27, 2013

I doubt best buy will do anything. Will probably need to send it directly to nikon

speedy mate's gear list:speedy mate's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +2 more
blue_cheese
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453
Like?
In reply to speedy mate, Aug 27, 2013

actually, if under warranty, best buy will likely take it back, give you a new one and deal with the defective RMA. that is what you get for generally higher prices

speedy mate
Like?
In reply to blue_cheese, Aug 27, 2013

actually, if under warranty, best buy will likely take it back, give you a new one and deal with the defective RMA. that is what you get for generally higher prices

Yes best buy will do that but i thought that was only during their return period. After that they typically make customers deal directly with manufacturers but worth a shot going to the store first.

Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +2 more
BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?

The 18-55 kit lens is not worth using, IMO. It's just not sharp enough. You would be much better off with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 prime for $200, and let your feet do the zooming.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
msstella
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, Aug 27, 2013

BlueJakester wrote:

The 18-55 kit lens is not worth using, IMO. It's just not sharp enough. You would be much better off with the Nikon 35mm f/1.8 prime for $200, and let your feet do the zooming.

Thanks BlueJakester. I have that lens and it is a great lens. Sometimes it is just not wide enough and no funds for high priced wide angle that I will not use often.

msstella
Like?
In reply to speedy mate, Aug 27, 2013

speedy mate wrote:

Yes best buy will do that but i thought that was only during their return period. After that they typically make customers deal directly with manufacturers but worth a shot going to the store first.

I am going to try Best Buy today. Otherwise will see about sending in to Nikon.

Thanks everyone!

BlueJakester
Senior MemberPosts: 1,714Gear list
Like?

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Thanks BlueJakester. I have that lens and it is a great lens. Sometimes it is just not wide enough and no funds for high priced wide angle that I will not use often.

I can relate to the expense of lenses. Thus far I've been successful in having a 3 lens kit with my D5200. I have the Nikon 70-300 VR, 35 f/1.8 and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle. Surprisingly I use the Sigma much more than I had anticipated I would. The following two photos were taken with the Sigma and I'm very satisfied with the IQ for a $430 lens. Click on the images to enlarge for a better view:

I added the vignetting to this image, that's not from the lens.

BlueJakester's gear list:BlueJakester's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +2 more
msstella
Like?

msstella wrote:

speedy mate wrote:

I am going to try Best Buy today. Otherwise will see about sending in to Nikon.

Thanks everyone!

Update from today.

Since I didn't purchase the geek squad extra protection and it was purchased as a kit including camera and lens, Best Buy would only deal with it by sending all of it including the camera, lens, all the cables etc, etc, etc. I wasn't willing to send all of that since it seems to be only this lens and not the camera.

I asked a question of Nikon tech support  about what could be done about the issue, including a picture, and someone named Nicole J responded saying they recommend using a lower aperture and sent a link for landscape lenses. Geez, certainly no help there.

So I will be sending it in to Nikon repair and hope they address it. If not, I guess I will use the 35 for the little landscapes that I do until I can save for something for landscapes/walk about. I am considering refurbished nikon 18-105 or perhaps sigma 17-70. Money is tight right now so I am limited in what I can realistically afford.

msstella
Like?
In reply to BlueJakester, Aug 27, 2013

BlueJakester wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

I can relate to the expense of lenses. Thus far I've been successful in having a 3 lens kit with my D5200. I have the Nikon 70-300 VR, 35 f/1.8 and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle. Surprisingly I use the Sigma much more than I had anticipated I would. The following two photos were taken with the Sigma and I'm very satisfied with the IQ for a $430 lens. Click on the images to enlarge for a better view.

Nice images.

I will wait to see what, if anything, Nikon does. I am doubtful that much will be done, but still hoping they can fix or replace, even if it is a refurbished one.

vzlnc
Regular MemberPosts: 199
Like?

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

I can relate to the expense of lenses. Thus far I've been successful in having a 3 lens kit with my D5200. I have the Nikon 70-300 VR, 35 f/1.8 and a Sigma 10-20 wide angle. Surprisingly I use the Sigma much more than I had anticipated I would. The following two photos were taken with the Sigma and I'm very satisfied with the IQ for a $430 lens. Click on the images to enlarge for a better view.

Nice images.

I will wait to see what, if anything, Nikon does. I am doubtful that much will be done, but still hoping they can fix or replace, even if it is a refurbished one.

Your 18-55mm needs repair. It is quite a capable lens for its size, price and weight. There is not much of a difference between the 18-XX lenses as far as sharpness is concerned.

Here is a sample at f/9 on Nikon D5000 body.

Sharpening set to 1 in view nx. Color mode Dx1. No other processing.

msstella
Like?
In reply to vzlnc, Aug 27, 2013

vzlnc wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Nice images.

Your 18-55mm needs repair. It is quite a capable lens for its size, price and weight. There is not much of a difference between the 18-XX lenses as far as sharpness is concerned.

Thanks vzlnc for validating that there is indeed something wrong. I will have it in the mail to Nikon tomorrow and see what they will do. I am hoping the warranty will cover.

Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,009
Like?
You really should

msstella wrote:

vzlnc wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Nice images.

Thanks vzlnc for validating that there is indeed something wrong. I will have it in the mail to Nikon tomorrow and see what they will do. I am hoping the warranty will cover.

Before you send it in, you really shout take some pics of a flat target (50x focal length away) at 1/200s and wide open aperture in good light. Use both Viewfinder and LiveView so you have comparison. Otherwise you will have no real ideal of what Nikon did or a good way to check their work and contest it if needed.

-- hide signature --

msstella
Like?
Re: You really should
In reply to Mako2011, Aug 27, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

msstella wrote:

vzlnc wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

Nice images.

Before you send it in, you really shout take some pics of a flat target (50x focal length away) at 1/200s and wide open aperture in good light. Use both Viewfinder and LiveView so you have comparison. Otherwise you will have no real ideal of what Nikon did or a good way to check their work and contest it if needed.

-- hide signature --

Great advice Mako. Thanks.

Nexu1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869
Like?
In reply to msstella, Aug 28, 2013

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

here are a few snapshots for you. Literally snapshots taken at the side of the road today. One is the 18-55, which gives you a comparison of the type of results I get with mine to compare with your version. The other is the 35mm f1.8G. Which is which? Hmmm.... You can decide if the 35mm blows out the 18-55 to the point that the 18-55 isn't even worth using.

edit:  just for the record, the only processing done to these was importing the RAW to LR4, click the box for lens correction, bump sharpening from 25 to 40, set noise reduction to 30.  Both photos got the same treatment, in other words, the 18-55 wasn't "helped" by adding contrast or sharpening or saturation, etc...

speedy mate
Like?
In reply to msstella, Aug 28, 2013

If the 18-55 is a lost cause, you can either try to sell it as-is on Craiglist or eBay, or take it to the shooting range and do experiments on how well it holds up to abuse

Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 2,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to vzlnc, Aug 28, 2013

Exactly. The 18-55 is excellent. I have taken many sharp shots with it. The OP's lens is apparently defective.

DW

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 Sony a6000
KZEE
Regular MemberPosts: 173
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Aug 29, 2013

Which is which? My guess is the first shot is the 35mm 1.8.

Nexu1 wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

here are a few snapshots for you. Literally snapshots taken at the side of the road today. One is the 18-55, which gives you a comparison of the type of results I get with mine to compare with your version. The other is the 35mm f1.8G. Which is which? Hmmm.... You can decide if the 35mm blows out the 18-55 to the point that the 18-55 isn't even worth using.

edit: just for the record, the only processing done to these was importing the RAW to LR4, click the box for lens correction, bump sharpening from 25 to 40, set noise reduction to 30. Both photos got the same treatment, in other words, the 18-55 wasn't "helped" by adding contrast or sharpening or saturation, etc...

msstella
Like?
In reply to Nexu1, Aug 29, 2013

Nexu1 wrote:

msstella wrote:

BlueJakester wrote:

edit: just for the record, the only processing done to these was importing the RAW to LR4, click the box for lens correction, bump sharpening from 25 to 40, set noise reduction to 30. Both photos got the same treatment, in other words, the 18-55 wasn't "helped" by adding contrast or sharpening or saturation, etc...

definitely better than my defective lens.

they are indeed very close...and I think it would serve my landscape shot needs...if I can get Nikon to repair or replace.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads