S90 + Raynox 150

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
pubserv
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
S90 + Raynox 150
11 months ago

Hi!

I'm usually a Nex shooter, but I recently bought the Lensmate attachment for my old S90 to try out macro using Raynox 150. Haven't seen so many people here post results or tips for this type of setup.

Here are my best results from my first outing. I like the big DOF that the (relatively) small sensor gives. I found best results using M mode with the flash on and diffused through the famous ping pong ball diffuser (and I looked COOL!).

Will probably try sticking to lower ISOs nex time and shooting raw for better PP, especially given the clipped highlights. Any others tried this who can give advice/post results? Any C&C will be welcome. Thanks for looking!

BTW, what's this?!

j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,483Gear list
Like?
Re: S90 + Raynox 150
In reply to pubserv, 11 months ago

Well done Macro photos.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
In reply to j2l3m7, 11 months ago

Cool.  It's always fun to look into the world of macro photography.  I am interested in buying the 150 or ther 250 but not sure yet which one to get.  I have a thread in this forum I need to check (forgot about it!) that may help me decide.  Nice shots!

-- hide signature --

Monica/SX50

pubserv
Like?
In reply to j2l3m7, 11 months ago

j2l3m7 wrote:

Well done Macro photos.

-- hide signature --

Thanks for posting, have a great day.
John

Thanks!

pubserv
Like?
In reply to Monicakm, 11 months ago

Monicakm wrote:

Cool. It's always fun to look into the world of macro photography. I am interested in buying the 150 or ther 250 but not sure yet which one to get. I have a thread in this forum I need to check (forgot about it!) that may help me decide. Nice shots!

-- hide signature --

Monica/SX50

Thanks! The 250 is said to give more mag, but narrower DOF. Perhaps the small sensors on powershot cameras will keep DOF usable even with the 250. If you get it, please let us know how it goes!

Stephen Barrett
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
In reply to pubserv, 11 months ago

Great images, pubserv!

I have taken hundreds of bee shots recently with the Raynox 150 and all of your shots are better than any of mine. You are very skilled at focusing. Perhaps I have been trying to get too much magnification. Are your images cropped?

I think the colourful bug is a spittlebug, also called a froghopper, They make the spittle that you see on the stems of plants. This recent post contains a shot of a flower with spittle on the stem:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3525752#forum-post-51913356

Monica,
I have both the 150 and 250 but use the 150 much more outdoors. I guess you could get approximately the same shots with the 250 by using less zoom, but the 150 is the one I take outside to use hand-held. The 250 (8 diopter or 125 mm) gives you about 5 inches from your subject, whereas the 150 (4.8 diopters or 208 mm) gives you about 8 inches, which makes it less likely that you scare insects away and it's easier to avoid casting a shadow on your subject. I do a lot of focus-stacking, mostly indoors because of wind, and choose the lens according to the size of the subject. Both lenses are fun but, if I had to pick just one, it would be the 150.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
Monicakm
Senior MemberPosts: 2,280
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, 11 months ago

Thanks Stephen

-- hide signature --

Monica/SX50

pubserv
Like?
In reply to Stephen Barrett, 11 months ago

Stephen Barrett wrote:

Great images, pubserv!

I have taken hundreds of bee shots recently with the Raynox 150 and all of your shots are better than any of mine. You are very skilled at focusing. Perhaps I have been trying to get too much magnification. Are your images cropped?

I think the colourful bug is a spittlebug, also called a froghopper, They make the spittle that you see on the stems of plants. This recent post contains a shot of a flower with spittle on the stem:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3525752#forum-post-51913356

Monica,
I have both the 150 and 250 but use the 150 much more outdoors. I guess you could get approximately the same shots with the 250 by using less zoom, but the 150 is the one I take outside to use hand-held. The 250 (8 diopter or 125 mm) gives you about 5 inches from your subject, whereas the 150 (4.8 diopters or 208 mm) gives you about 8 inches, which makes it less likely that you scare insects away and it's easier to avoid casting a shadow on your subject. I do a lot of focus-stacking, mostly indoors because of wind, and choose the lens according to the size of the subject. Both lenses are fun but, if I had to pick just one, it would be the 150.

Thanks! Yes, these shots are cropped significantly - 40-70%. Less on the wasps, most on the spittlebug  (thanks for the ID!) and the last bee. By clicking on the photos you can see the crop level. Perhaps the 250 might be better for having to crop less.  Perhaps I'll pick one up, especially since I'm limited to 110mm equivalent on my s90. I also used a flash to enable higher shutter speeds and kept shutter a 250 to counteract shake. Perhaps that'll help your focusing on moving insects? Stephen, your flower shots at the above link are great! If your insects pix are as good, you're being overly modest!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads