Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,845Gear list
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M1 Camera and 12-40mm F2.8 PRO Lens Price
11 months ago

NOTE: as yet 'unofficial'

See below for the price information of the new camera and lens kits.

• Olympus E-M1 Camera Body Only (with BCL-1580) – JPY ¥145,000 – USD $1,450
  • Olympus E-M1 Camera Body with 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 Lens - JPY ¥170,000 - USD $1,700
  • Olympus E-M1 Camera Body with 12-40mm F2.8 Lens - JPY ¥220,000 - USD $2,200
  • HLD-7 Battery Grip - JPY ¥20,000 – USD $200
  • PT-EP11 underwater housing - JPY ¥100,000 - USD $1,000
  • Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO lens - JPY ¥90,000 - USD $900
-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,793Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M1 Camera and 12-40mm F2.8 PRO Lens Price
In reply to Rriley, 11 months ago

Rriley wrote:

• Olympus E-M1 Camera Body with 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 Lens - JPY ¥170,000 - USD $1,700
-- hide signature --

Riley

Time to make sure the piggy bank has $1,650 worth of pennies in it. Thanks for posting this one.

The 12-40mm F2.8 Lens does look enticing.  Perhaps down the road a bit.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?

Rriley wrote:

-- hide signature --

Riley

If this turns out to be real, I'm in for the E-M1 + 12-40 kit.

Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff, 11 months ago

Jeff wrote:

Rriley wrote:

-- hide signature --

Riley

If this turns out to be real, I'm in for the E-M1 + 12-40 kit.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

I am pleasantly surprised by the price of the lens.  Assuming something that approaches HG quality, that is not bad.  If it exceeds HG, it is deal at $900 and even better when packaged with the camera

Paul Auclair
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Oly (Japan)MSRP vs. street level pricing Q's...

Yes, none of the EM-1 12-40 info and prices are official but...

What is the history of Olympus' MSRP and what we actually paid for items in the stores?

I mean...is the (Japanese)MSRP always what we (North Americans) pay here for newly released products?

Why am I thinking the price we pay in the stores for new Oly gear is usually less than early (MSRP Japan) figures?

I could be wrong?!?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Auclair's gear list:Paul Auclair's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +19 more
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,950Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly (Japan)MSRP vs. street level pricing Q's...
In reply to Paul Auclair, 11 months ago

Paul Auclair wrote:

Yes, none of the EM-1 12-40 info and prices are official but...

What is the history of Olympus' MSRP and what we actually paid for items in the stores?

I mean...is the (Japanese)MSRP always what we (North Americans) pay here for newly released products?

Why am I thinking the price we pay in the stores for new Oly gear is usually less than early (MSRP Japan) figures?

I could be wrong?!?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Paul

You mostly are, judging by what the E-3/12-60 kit, the E-5, the OM-D/12-50 kit and the PL5/14-42 kit cost me. I've was able to save a couple of hundred and I think about a hundred on the E-5 (in both cases less than 10%) due to some Christmas pricing and free shipping on the first.  Again, I managed to get a bit of a deal on the OM-D and PL-5 kit with free shipping and by saving 5% sales tax buying from Alberta (the one Canadian province that has no sales tax).

But on the whole, Olympus prices were pretty close to MSRP for all four cameras, and tended to remain that way for many months, even well over a year for the E-5 and OM-D, with the savings due to minor price drops and certainly not being enough to justify waiting that long.

Mostly, this has seemed to be a good thing to me, because of retained value for the equipment I bought and for the Olympus brand.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +16 more
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,047
Like?

I think I'll aim for the body and grip now, 12-40 later if it tests well.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
Good news, and another Olympus m4/3 F2.8 PRO Lens

It's good to see a new source for this info. I think the story mentioned another source for the info. When I spoke to the sales rep a few weeks ago I heard there were going to be two fast, constant aperture lenses released with this camera. Maybe a 40-150 mm f/2.8 is still well hidden? That would be the other zoom lens you'd need to go with this lens.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,858Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly (Japan)MSRP vs. street level pricing Q's...
In reply to erichK, 11 months ago

I'll echo what Erick said.  The E-M1 and lens will sell at the suggested retail price for the first 6 months for sure.

In the past, Olympus has priced high for early adopters. Then they offer rebates. Before the E-5 bodies were priced really high then dipped very sadly near the end of their product cycle. Waiting a year or two meant saving 40-50%. The E-1 was $1800 list and I paid $1250 for a new E-1 + 14-54mm after 1.5 years on the market. I think they just made a lot of E-1s that sat. Other E bodies also seemed to be priced really high at first, then had quite a steep decline. The E-5 was the first to really hold the price for a long time. I think it's because they cut the other lines and because the competition had slowed down their product cycles a bit for enthusiast (non-FF) DSLRs. The OM-D has kept it's price for a long time and I think it was also one of the first Olympus bodies to be taken seriously by zealous Canon/Nikon camps. It's done very well.

I expect the E-M1 will do very well too. They overpriced former bodies, but this seems about right and if they offer a small rebate around Christmas, it seems like a good deal.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Craig from Nevada
Like?
Re: Good news, and another Olympus m4/3 F2.8 PRO Lens
In reply to dave gaines, 11 months ago

dave gaines wrote:

It's good to see a new source for this info. I think the story mentioned another source for the info. When I spoke to the sales rep a few weeks ago I heard there were going to be two fast, constant aperture lenses released with this camera. Maybe a 40-150 mm f/2.8 is still well hidden? That would be the other zoom lens you'd need to go with this lens.

-- hide signature --

Dave

There have been rumors of a 40-200mm for a while.

tinternaut
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,461Gear list
Like?
Re: Not a bad price, but a tipping point for some?

There's not a great deal to complain about, In terms of the price of the camera or the lens.  But is this perhaps a tipping point for some on this forum?  I ask because the cost of a D600 or 6D, plus a general zoom lens (i.e. the 24-105 f4L) is not going to be too far off what Olympus is asking. I recently almost pulled the trigger on a D600 + Sigma 50mm f1.4.  Not to make a system move, but because dipping one's toe into full frame has never been more affordable.

-- hide signature --
 tinternaut's gear list:tinternaut's gear list
Olympus E-510 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Olympus E-30 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Craig from Nevada
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, 11 months ago

tinternaut wrote:

There's not a great deal to complain about, In terms of the price of the camera or the lens. But is this perhaps a tipping point for some on this forum? I ask because the cost of a D600 or 6D, plus a general zoom lens (i.e. the 24-105 f4L) is not going to be too far off what Olympus is asking. I recently almost pulled the trigger on a D600 + Sigma 50mm f1.4. Not to make a system move, but because dipping one's toe into full frame has never been more affordable.

You make a very good point.

SteveS58
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Don't forget the Zuiko glass
In reply to Craig from Nevada, 11 months ago

Don't forget though that many four thirds users have a bag full of Zuiko glass.  So the investment in a full frame alternative would be exponentially more adding in the cost of replacing the glass.  That's why I've been waiting for the EM1's release, to determine if it's a more prudent investment to continue with the "four thirds/micro four thirds system, or alternatively to pack it in and go full frame.

Craig from Nevada
Like?
Re: Don't forget the Zuiko glass
In reply to SteveS58, 11 months ago

SteveS58 wrote:

Don't forget though that many four thirds users have a bag full of Zuiko glass. So the investment in a full frame alternative would be exponentially more adding in the cost of replacing the glass. That's why I've been waiting for the EM1's release, to determine if it's a more prudent investment to continue with the "four thirds/micro four thirds system, or alternatively to pack it in and go full frame.

For the Olympus user,exponential, yes.  It would also require a very high upfront cost just to gain entry with have a few decent lenses. First cost, is a substantial barrier for any user.

With the EM-1 you can keep your lenses and swap out overtime with upgrades.

I wonder how many of those who jumped ship to Canikon, will doubt this choice in the coming months?

sirharold
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't forget the Zuiko glass
In reply to SteveS58, 11 months ago

SteveS58 wrote:

Don't forget though that many four thirds users have a bag full of Zuiko glass.  So the investment in a full frame alternative would be exponentially more adding in the cost of replacing the glass.  That's why I've been waiting for the EM1's release, to determine if it's a more prudent investment to continue with the "four thirds/micro four thirds system, or alternatively to pack it in and go full frame.

Your right Steve I invested in the 14-35 / 35-100 and a 150mm optics. It would be crazy to take a loss on the HD optics that you own with out checking the performance on the M-1. We will see shortly.

sirharold's gear list:sirharold's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +15 more
citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?

I would certainly look into it.  I am more interested in 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro than E-M1, but I won't make any decision until I have a hand-on on the E-M1.  12-40mm f/2.8 + 75mm f/1.8 on my E-PM2 is pretty much what I need to cover all the focal lengths I use on a m4/3 body (I really don't use super telephoto on m4/3).

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
citizenlouie
Like?
In reply to tinternaut, 11 months ago

tinternaut wrote:

There's not a great deal to complain about, In terms of the price of the camera or the lens. But is this perhaps a tipping point for some on this forum? I ask because the cost of a D600 or 6D, plus a general zoom lens (i.e. the 24-105 f4L) is not going to be too far off what Olympus is asking. I recently almost pulled the trigger on a D600 + Sigma 50mm f1.4. Not to make a system move, but because dipping one's toe into full frame has never been more affordable.

-- hide signature --

Not a bad analysis, but it's probably more true for people who haven't invested in a system like others have said.  I almost went for Sony A900 myself when it was on sale, but figured the total cost of going to Sony route to replace my HG Zuikos was not worth it (plus it had no LiveView).  Sure the body is cheap, but the same grade lenses are not (same grade Nikkor/Zeiss to replace HG Zuikos are often 2x as expensive.  I am not spending to downgrade my "system" to use standard grade Nikon).  While Nikon D600/Sony A900 might be worth pondering, but Canon 6D is totally out of question for its poor AF (one cross hair AF point, seriously?  Even the advanced entry-level Olympus E-620 has five).  Don't get into the other lawn is greener mentality.  Research it further before jump the ship, or the pocket will be several hundreds in the hole.  Canon 7D is more of an equivalent choice if you really want Canon (7D is a professional APS-C whereas 6D is an entry-level FF).

Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
citizenlouie
Like?
Re: Good news, and another Olympus m4/3 F2.8 PRO Lens

I've heard the rumor of 40-150/200mm-ish f/4.  If that's true, it'll be great in term of size/cost/IQ compromise.  f/4 is more than enough at longer end (and 40mm end can be covered by 12-40mm f/2.8 if shallow DoF is needed).

erichK
Like?
In reply to citizenlouie, 11 months ago

citizenlouie wrote:

(I really don't use super telephoto on m4/3).

While it is certainly possible, it doesn't initially seem to make a lot of sense.  The main benefit of mFT - small size and light weight - becomes pretty marginal when a PL or PM serves as the rear lens cap of a 50-250 or 300 f2.8.

However, if mFT provides the only route for better sensor performance for such optics, then the lesser incongruousness of mounting an OM-D with both grips or the new EM-D with grip will just have toi be something the lucky owners of those have to learn to live with.

For those cases, Olympus should indeed step up to the plate and comer out with a new, heavier duty adapter (the MMF-3 has been OK with lenses up to the 150f2, 50-200SWD for me.)

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
underwater photos:

erichK
Like?

Craig from Nevada wrote:

tinternaut wrote:

You make a very good point.

The D600 does look like a very capable camera, but, over at the Nikon forums, there do seem to be some fairly serious sensor-dust issues with it. I don't want to disparage an impressive product but am mindful of the "greener grass" proverb, the wisdom of which life has shown me time and again.

And I know - and know- of too many pro and semi-pro photographers, some with a stoop, ,or a limp or both, who are moving in the opposite direction after decades of "enjoying" "full-frame".

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
underwater photos:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads