18-55 With OIS On = Blurred Images

Started Aug 25, 2013 | Discussions
Perry Kivolowitz
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
Re: 18-55 With OIS On = Blurred Images
In reply to Paul JM, Sep 4, 2013

I believe I am experiencing the same results as yourself and the OP.

I have stopped using the image stabilization feature of the 18 - 55.

Perry Kivolowitz's gear list:Perry Kivolowitz's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?
Re: Update...
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 4, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

You should have taken the opportunity to get a FF. My XP1 has been used little since I got a 5D.

And my 5D has been used little since I got the XP1 so what has this got to do with the zoom lens auto stability function??

But it seems that there is QC issue with the zoom lenses. My 55-200 lens replacement has been working perfectly but the first died after a few days. After ranting about it on this forum a lot I got news of several other failures - When it is working properly it is a wonderful lens in terms of sharpness and especially the stabilization.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446Gear list
Like?
Re: Example...
In reply to FujiColy, Sep 4, 2013

Isn't it true that for this lens, as for other optically stabilized lenses in most any system, one will always get the very sharpest results at faster shutter speeds with OIS turned off? So for landscapes, nature, etc. shot at 1/125th or faster, it is best practice (i.e. the very sharpest results) to turn OIS off?

This was always my understanding with my Panny m4/3s cameras.

That said, the difference between your images does seem exaggerated.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
FujiColy
Contributing MemberPosts: 538
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, Sep 4, 2013

hellocrowley wrote:

You should have taken the opportunity to get a FF. My XP1 has been used little since I got a 5D.

I mainly shoot in good light so FF is of little use to me plus the reported oil issues put me off the D600.

However I am blown away with the D7100 and Sigma 35mm lens, The image detail is phenomenal (1000x better than the XE1) I just wish it was in a smaller package just like the XE1.

FujiColy
Like?
In reply to Dailypix, Sep 4, 2013

Dailypix wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

And my 5D has been used little since I got the XP1 so what has this got to do with the zoom lens auto stability function??

But it seems that there is QC issue with the zoom lenses. My 55-200 lens replacement has been working perfectly but the first died after a few days. After ranting about it on this forum a lot I got news of several other failures - When it is working properly it is a wonderful lens in terms of sharpness and especially the stabilization.

It is a nice camera, but I would always have worries about a break down and I cant risk that with my work and photography.

My New D7100 and Sigma 35mm 1.4 produces way better images so in some respects I am glad the XE1 went wrong

FujiColy
Like?
In reply to Perry Kivolowitz, Sep 4, 2013

Perry Kivolowitz wrote:

Return it to the seller or Fuji, it is a known issue.

R Neuschul
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
In reply to FujiColy, Sep 6, 2013

FujiColy wrote:

Perry Kivolowitz wrote:

Can you point to a link in which Fuji acknowledge that this is a known issue please.

Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 630Gear list
Like?
In reply to R Neuschul, Sep 6, 2013

I'm sure this must have been mentioned before but I can't see it at a glance...

Are you guys using a tripod? If you lock the camera on something solid, or even rest it on a fence-post etc, you should always switch stabilisation off; otherwise the stabilisation feature actually introduces vibration.

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,831Gear list
Like?
In reply to R Neuschul, Sep 6, 2013

R Neuschul wrote:

FujiColy wrote:

Perry Kivolowitz wrote:

Can you point to a link in which Fuji acknowledge that this is a known issue please.

It's not a "known issue" it is simply a fact that some goods will be faulty, either from the factory or because of bad handling in transit.

I have returned ZERO items of Fuji kit. I have on the other hand returned 60% of my Nikon lenses and two bodies out of five for faults that were extremely obvious.

All VR lenses are notorious for faults. The actuators are high precision and it only takes a minute fault in one of them to produce blur. But nothing could possibly be as bad as the 3 Nikon 55-200 zooms I had to return until I found one that was not completely decentered.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
DaveHutch
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894Gear list
Like?
Hold on a minute!
In reply to FujiColy, Sep 6, 2013

Admittedly, the leaves are definitely more blurred in the second shot, but everything else in the shot is absolutely identical.

The fence, the sunny section at the bottom...even the branches of the tree are all are exactly as sharp as each other.

If it was the lens OIS function, all of the image would be blurred in the second shot

-- hide signature --

I can only help one person each day...
...and today is not your day!
(tomorrow doesn't look good either!)

DaveHutch's gear list:DaveHutch's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
Dailypix
Contributing MemberPosts: 623
Like?
Re: Example...
In reply to bowportes, Sep 6, 2013

bowportes wrote:

Isn't it true that for this lens, as for other optically stabilized lenses in most any system, one will always get the very sharpest results at faster shutter speeds with OIS turned off? So for landscapes, nature, etc. shot at 1/125th or faster, it is best practice (i.e. the very sharpest results) to turn OIS off?

This was always my understanding with my Panny m4/3s cameras.

That said, the difference between your images does seem exaggerated.

I think the best practice to get the sharpest image in shooting landscapes is to use a tripod and turn the image stabilization off. This is especially important for long exposures where you may have some movement in the subject - waves, clouds etc. I may be wrong but I understand that the computer in the camera "sees" the movement and tries to correct it thus blurring all the steady parts.

For me the best use of IS is hand held longer focal lengths where it is difficult to hold the camera steady - say over 100mm shooting at less than 1/125". When it works the Fuji system is better than anything I experienced with Canon or Nikon (tried both). Don't really think the 18-55 needs it but it is great on the 55-200.

R Neuschul
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
In reply to 57even, Sep 6, 2013

It's not a "known issue" it is simply a fact that some goods will be faulty, either from the factory or because of bad handling in transit.

I have returned ZERO items of Fuji kit. I have on the other hand returned 60% of my Nikon lenses and two bodies out of five for faults that were extremely obvious.

All VR lenses are notorious for faults. The actuators are high precision and it only takes a minute fault in one of them to produce blur. But nothing could possibly be as bad as the 3 Nikon 55-200 zooms I had to return until I found one that was not completely decentered.

The assertion was made that it *was* a known issue; I asked for a definitive link to the source of that knowledge. In other words I was asking for evidence.

woyo
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to R Neuschul, Sep 7, 2013

I have the same issue

woyo

rmrcu
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
In reply to FujiColy, Sep 7, 2013

Just a thought--are the camera and lens up-to-date with the latest firmware?

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,831Gear list
Like?
In reply to R Neuschul, Sep 7, 2013

R Neuschul wrote:

The assertion was made that it *was* a known issue; I asked for a definitive link to the source of that knowledge. In other words I was asking for evidence.

Fair enough, but I would guess any common fault would be classed as a known issue. Either way it is covered under warranty in this case.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Keith Jefferies
Forum MemberPosts: 96Gear list
Like?
Re: Hold on a minute!
In reply to DaveHutch, Sep 7, 2013

DaveHutch wrote:

Admittedly, the leaves are definitely more blurred in the second shot, but everything else in the shot is absolutely identical.

The fence, the sunny section at the bottom...even the branches of the tree are all are exactly as sharp as each other.

If it was the lens OIS function, all of the image would be blurred in the second shot

I also find this very puzzling. Does anyone have an explanation?

Keith Jefferies's gear list:Keith Jefferies's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-E1 +2 more
uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 602
Like?
In reply to FujiColy, Sep 7, 2013

While I've tried to stay away from this thread I didn't have the will power.

The blurred images with ois turned on at reasonably high shutters is nothing unusual. ois is for when you need it, I use it at shutters lower than 60. Otherwise it's turned off. It's amazing at low shutters but at high shutters you can get some images that are less than sharp. I have not looked at the OP's images so I have no idea how bad they are. My tests of the 18-55 is they can be less sharp with ois turned on until the shutters get low.

I have the 18-55 and shot Nikon vr lenses for many years. That's the way it is. Here's an education.  If your not seeing it good. But get some detail in your shots and you'll see the issue or perhaps you don't need the 18-55.

http://www.bythom.com/nikon-vr.htm

And please don't give me pedantic views of what Fuji's manual may say. Never read it and know from my own experience you use it when you need it. Sort of like the first bold line in ByThom's write-up.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to uniball, 10 months ago

Some more on the subject here:

FujiSeries discussion

I have similar issues with my x-e1 18-55 combo and so have others and pretty much makes the OIS system useless. But, there seems to be a fix now, namely low level firmware fix in the workshop. Read the link above for more info.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Waldman Jordaan

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,706Gear list
Like?
In reply to FujiColy, 10 months ago

FujiColy wrote:

Dailypix wrote:

hellocrowley wrote:

But it seems that there is QC issue with the zoom lenses. My 55-200 lens replacement has been working perfectly but the first died after a few days. After ranting about it on this forum a lot I got news of several other failures - When it is working properly it is a wonderful lens in terms of sharpness and especially the stabilization.

It is a nice camera, but I would always have worries about a break down and I cant risk that with my work and photography.

My New D7100 and Sigma 35mm 1.4 produces way better images so in some respects I am glad the XE1 went wrong

I can't imagine Nikon would ever have QC issues.   My Sigma 30mm 1.4 (Canon mount) went back twice for centering and bad AF problems.  But I'm glad you like the IQ.  A 1000x increase in IQ over the X-E1 seems reasonable.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Birse Boy
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
In reply to FujiColy, 10 months ago

Jeez, I've been getting similar issues with random blurred images. Didn't know what was going on but it could be an issue with OIS which I usually leave on all the time. If it's sunny this weekend I'll have to get out and experiment. I've already had to replace the XE1 body due to a defective flash...hope I don't have to send the 18-55 in or get it changed.

I've read that the motors / OIS in the zoom can be heard but mine seems totally silent...which is normal ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads