More specs on ILC-3000

Started Aug 25, 2013 | Discussions
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to 4thnebula, Aug 25, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen. That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

Well if the retail price of £300 holds, then it will be less than $450, as the US won't get the 20% VAT added to the retail price.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to seachicken2000, Aug 25, 2013

seachicken2000 wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

IBIS may not be useful for current Sony lenses but for legacy lenses used with an adapter it is going to be terrific !

Yes, terrific, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. On the SLT's there's no way to tell the camera the focal length of the lens that's attached (and IBIS needs this to work properly). If Sony goes the same route with the E-mount bodies, IBIS will only be useful for E- or A-mount lenses (or chipped legacy lenses).

I am not sure what to expect. On the one hand, Sony like forcing people to use their own stuff; on the other, they put focus peaking into the NEX bodies making them a lot more capable at focusing legacy lenses, and I believe this did them more good than harm.

-- hide signature --

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
Douglas Adams

that is a risk.

However, Olympus and Pentax allow manual entry of focal length into the IBIS system.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,961Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 25, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

Hmmm... IBIS isn't so useful for E-mount lenses as most have OSS already. I reckon there's a fair chance this has IBIS for the sake of A-mount lenses, and so perhaps this new sensor has on-sensor PDAF. As you say, even without PDAF, its going to be a hell of camera for the rumored price.

Looks like Sony have been busy..

A larger body (possibly the size of A3x/A55) made room for inclusion of IBIS, and a chance for providing both, A- and E- mounts on one body. While A3000 may support only E-mount, if there is a way to develop a hybrid mount supporting A- and E-, the higher up bodies may have that.

Although, how existing pancakes, or even PZ16-50, fit into this hybrid set up will be interesting (E-mount would have to be recessed into the body).

It was reported that the ILC- a3000 has a lever very similar to the lever that controls AF adjustment, on the NEX-3n. The kit lens on the 3n is the 16-50 PZ of course, so will it also be the kit lens on the a3000?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,961Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to seachicken2000, Aug 25, 2013

no articulating screen.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,961Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to 4thnebula, Aug 25, 2013

4thnebula wrote:

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen. That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

No IBIS, no articulating screen, it's just a big 3n. With an EVF.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,596Gear list
Like?
Just Noticed 3N has Flip Up LCD-hope ILC-3000 does
In reply to Keit ll, Aug 25, 2013

A flip up lcd is good enough for entry level in my opinion.

With that and IBIS, 1.4 EVF and 20MP APS-C I expect this camera will sell very well and should compete with Canon SL1 well.

Without those features I would doubt it would compete well with Canon SL1.

 4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to captura, Aug 25, 2013

captura wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen. That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

No IBIS, no articulating screen, it's just a big 3n. With an EVF.

Well the rumor say it has IBIS and no-one know about it having an articulating screen or not.

The 3N is an expensive contructive due to the extreme compactness, like the other NEX cameras. The A3000 can share quite a few components with the A58.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,961Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to spacemn, Aug 26, 2013

spacemn wrote:

captura wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen. That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

No IBIS, no articulating screen, it's just a big 3n. With an EVF.

Well the rumor say it has IBIS and no-one know about it having an articulating screen or not.

The 3N is an expensive contructive due to the extreme compactness, like the other NEX cameras. The A3000 can share quite a few components with the A58.

SAR will drive us crazy with their rumors. How can the a-3000, a $400 camera, include a flip-screen and IBIS for that price? It has the old 230 K screen from the a37. The 3N is a cheap camera and built cheaply. It is now discontinued.

The a-5000 is more likely to get an articulating screen and IBIS.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,961Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to RGBaker, Aug 26, 2013

RGBaker wrote:

Keit ll wroteFor the price of $300 + they could not possibly offer IBIS. Even though Sony has a preferential buying arrangement with Olympus. (We get IBIS, they get the best Sony sensors.)

The rumor -- and so far it is just that -- is 300 pounds or just over $450 US dollars body-only. I offer no comment on whether that's a good price or not -- just that no where but in some posts here has the $300 figure been suggested.
Cheers,
GB

I didn't say $300 either. I said $300 + and I should have said 300 pounds instead. Big deal. Are you trying to be argumentative, or are you just strong on the idea that the very cheap a3000 will be equipped with IBIS?

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RGBaker
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to captura, Aug 26, 2013

No, but there is a big jump between $300+ and $450 ... Some posters seemed to attach another level of rumor to the lower figure. I thought it sensible to review the numbers as they were originally rumored ...

Nothing personal.

Cheers,
GB
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/geoffbaker/sets/72157632181672263/

 RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,814Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to 4thnebula, Aug 26, 2013

Yes but quoted prices are probably 'body only' so the actual price with a lens may be higher ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RGBaker
Contributing MemberPosts: 521Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to Keit ll, Aug 26, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

Yes but quoted prices are probably 'body only' so the actual price with a lens may be higher ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Yes, the rumored price is body only so it will undoubtedly be more when bundled with a lens.
Cheers,
GB

 RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,961Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX-3n sheep in ILC-3000 wolf's clothing?
In reply to RGBaker, Aug 26, 2013

RGBaker wrote:

Keit ll wrote:

Yes but quoted prices are probably 'body only' so the actual price with a lens may be higher ?

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Yes, the rumored price is body only so it will undoubtedly be more when bundled with a lens.
Cheers,
GB

Probably $500 with E 16-50 PZ lens or E18-55.

Did you see the zoom lever on the body??

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to captura, Aug 26, 2013

captura wrote:

spacemn wrote:

captura wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen. That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

No IBIS, no articulating screen, it's just a big 3n. With an EVF.

Well the rumor say it has IBIS and no-one know about it having an articulating screen or not.

The 3N is an expensive contructive due to the extreme compactness, like the other NEX cameras. The A3000 can share quite a few components with the A58.

SAR will drive us crazy with their rumors. How can the a-3000, a $400 camera, include a flip-screen and IBIS for that price? It has the old 230 K screen from the a37. The 3N is a cheap camera and built cheaply. It is now discontinued.

The a-5000 is more likely to get an articulating screen and IBIS.

Is the 3N discontinued?? It was released this year?!

What I mean is not that 3N is made of expensive materials and high grade, but for what it can and in that tiny form factor, is more expensive components required than putting the samme functionality in a larger body such as the ILC3000.

Who knows about the IBIS, we will find out tomorrow, but what will you do if it indeed has articulating screen and IBIS?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,961Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to spacemn, Aug 26, 2013

spacemn wrote:

captura wrote:

spacemn wrote:

captura wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen. That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

No IBIS, no articulating screen, it's just a big 3n. With an EVF.

Well the rumor say it has IBIS and no-one know about it having an articulating screen or not.

The 3N is an expensive contructive due to the extreme compactness, like the other NEX cameras. The A3000 can share quite a few components with the A58.

SAR will drive us crazy with their rumors. How can the a-3000, a $400 camera, include a flip-screen and IBIS for that price? It has the old 230 K screen from the a37. The 3N is a cheap camera and built cheaply. It is now discontinued.

The a-5000 is more likely to get an articulating screen and IBIS.

Is the 3N discontinued?? It was released this year?!

What I mean is not that 3N is made of expensive materials and high grade, but for what it can and in that tiny form factor, is more expensive components required than putting the samme functionality in a larger body such as the ILC3000.

Who knows about the IBIS, we will find out tomorrow, but what will you do if it indeed has articulating screen and IBIS?

Announcement of the ILCE3000 in about 12 hours. It will have the simple form of IBIS.

No articulating screen and said to have only the 230K screen from the a37, a real let-down. But basically a 3n sheep in wolf's clothing? 20 mp sensor from a58. Maybe I'll get a body only.

Question I have..how good will the video be on this? A hypothetical ILCE7000 might be developed by Sony to be a great video platform, exceeding the Panasonic's similar-looking GH3.

 captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Herb B
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to Keit ll, Aug 26, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

IBIS may not be useful for current Sony lenses but for legacy lenses used with an adapter it is going to be terrific !

-- hide signature --

Keith C

I definitely agree with that. So many potential 3rd party lenses that could benefit from IBIS.

 Herb B's gear list:Herb B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,593Gear list
Like?
ILC-3000 cheaper to make
In reply to captura, Aug 26, 2013

Think of it as an a37 without the pellicle or the separate PDAF module.

It is cheaper to build than competing DSLRs from Canon/Nikon/Pentax.

IBIS allows Sony to make cheap non-OS E-mount lenses for the ILC line. They will be affordable alternatives for NEX users as well. (Look at the Olympus 40-150 m43 lens. Cheap and light and optically quite decent)

My guess is that Sony has decided to attack the DSLR market from the bottom. The ILC-3000 is cheaper to make, so Sony can hold margin at low prices. To attack DSLRs it has to look like a DSLR, and it does! Expect to see this one at Costco.

Whether on-sensor PDAF is sorted out on the ILC-3000 is not critical. It is cheap and NEX level AF will be good enough. Later mid and up-market DSLRish E-mount cameras will need DSLR-level AF. Canon has shown it can be done with the 70D.

 tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AndyGM
Contributing MemberPosts: 695Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 26, 2013

Keit ll wrote:

The ILC-3000 is now said to have IBIS & a metal lens mount , sounds too good to be true for £300 ? If AF only matches current cameras this could be an absolute winner ! A lot of current users will seriously consider this camera as a back-up.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

-- hide signature --

Keith C

I think Sony saw A3x being redundant due to this camera in development, and since larger body made including EVF and IBIS easier, went for it.

I have begun to think that A3000 will also be the starting point for A-mount bodies, except that those might have this hybrid A/E mount we hear about, starting at a higher price point, allowing use of either A-mount or E-mount lenses without adapters.

This isn't technically possible, you'll always need an adapter. The issue isn't with the mount, or the edge connectors. The issue is the A mount has a longer register distance to E mount. If you had an E mount camera that was "hybrid" and could also fit an A mount lens, no A mount lens could focus properly.

The adapter can be "dumb", just electrical passthrough, but you still need a spacer to get the A mount further away from the sensor than the E mount.

 AndyGM's gear list:AndyGM's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JaviB
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to AndyGM, Aug 26, 2013
 JaviB's gear list:JaviB's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 949
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to captura, Aug 26, 2013

captura wrote:

spacemn wrote:

captura wrote:

spacemn wrote:

captura wrote:

4thnebula wrote:

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen. That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

No IBIS, no articulating screen, it's just a big 3n. With an EVF.

Well the rumor say it has IBIS and no-one know about it having an articulating screen or not.

The 3N is an expensive contructive due to the extreme compactness, like the other NEX cameras. The A3000 can share quite a few components with the A58.

SAR will drive us crazy with their rumors. How can the a-3000, a $400 camera, include a flip-screen and IBIS for that price? It has the old 230 K screen from the a37. The 3N is a cheap camera and built cheaply. It is now discontinued.

The a-5000 is more likely to get an articulating screen and IBIS.

Is the 3N discontinued?? It was released this year?!

What I mean is not that 3N is made of expensive materials and high grade, but for what it can and in that tiny form factor, is more expensive components required than putting the samme functionality in a larger body such as the ILC3000.

Who knows about the IBIS, we will find out tomorrow, but what will you do if it indeed has articulating screen and IBIS?

Announcement of the ILCE3000 in about 12 hours. It will have the simple form of IBIS.

No articulating screen and said to have only the 230K screen from the a37, a real let-down. But basically a 3n sheep in wolf's clothing? 20 mp sensor from a58. Maybe I'll get a body only.

Question I have..how good will the video be on this? A hypothetical ILCE7000 might be developed by Sony to be a great video platform, exceeding the Panasonic's similar-looking GH3.

Shoot! You were right, no IBIS after all:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rumor-correction-ilc-3000-has-no-in-body-stabilization/#comments

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads