More specs on ILC-3000

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758Gear list
Like?
More specs on ILC-3000
11 months ago

The ILC-3000 is now said to have IBIS & a metal lens mount , sounds too good to be true for £300 ? If AF only matches current cameras this could be an absolute winner ! A lot of current users will seriously consider this camera as a back-up.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

-- hide signature --

Keith C

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,634Gear list
Like?
Re: More specs on ILC-3000
In reply to Keit ll, 11 months ago

Hmmm... IBIS isn't so useful for E-mount lenses as most have OSS already. I reckon there's a fair chance this has IBIS for the sake of A-mount lenses, and so perhaps this new sensor has on-sensor PDAF. As you say, even without PDAF, its going to be a hell of camera for the rumored price.

Looks like Sony have been busy..

-- hide signature --

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
Douglas Adams

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,758Gear list
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, 11 months ago

IBIS may not be useful for current Sony lenses but for legacy lenses used with an adapter it is going to be terrific !

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
IBIS great for long manual lenses!

IBIS would be wonderful for my CANON FD 500 and FD 300!! And so would be 20mp for cropping the pictures around these tiny birds.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony SLT-A58 A3000 +10 more
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,063Gear list
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

The ILC-3000 is now said to have IBIS & a metal lens mount , sounds too good to be true for £300 ? If AF only matches current cameras this could be an absolute winner ! A lot of current users will seriously consider this camera as a back-up.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Ok I'm sold!

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,062Gear list
Like?
In reply to npires, 11 months ago

Awesome news, but I'll wait for the 5 or 7 series probably.

But the big question is, when they finally nail AF, what future is there for A-mount?

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,522Gear list
Like?
Changes everything for me...

If it has IBIS and metal mount I would best very interested.  Without IBIS I am not.  Also, many lenses are not OSS (Sigmas).  That is the route Panasonic is going with the GX7.

Great if true!

4thnebula's gear list:4thnebula's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM
seachicken2000
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

IBIS may not be useful for current Sony lenses but for legacy lenses used with an adapter it is going to be terrific !

Yes, terrific, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. On the SLT's there's no way to tell the camera the focal length of the lens that's attached (and IBIS needs this to work properly). If Sony goes the same route with the E-mount bodies, IBIS will only be useful for E- or A-mount lenses (or chipped legacy lenses).

I am not sure what to expect. On the one hand, Sony like forcing people to use their own stuff; on the other, they put focus peaking into the NEX bodies making them a lot more capable at focusing legacy lenses, and I believe this did them more good than harm.

-- hide signature --

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
Douglas Adams

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
4thnebula
Like?
In reply to quezra, 11 months ago

Now things appear to be making more sense.

A DSLR-Alpha looking NEX entry with IBIS.  Maybe we will be seeing a convergence of NEX-Alpha.  More advanced models may have hybrid mounts (like with Olympus M1).  A strategy like this would set the future well for Sony.

If so, I'm in.

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,017
Like?
In reply to quezra, 11 months ago

quezra wrote:

But the big question is, when they finally nail AF, what future is there for A-mount?

Long term, it will go the same way as the Leica R mount. But that could be four or five years away.

I think the E mount is the best camera mount design so far by any company.

Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?
In reply to D Cox, 11 months ago

D Cox wrote:

quezra wrote:

Long term, it will go the same way as the Leica R mount. But that could be four or five years away.

Could you explain the reason for you last sentence.  Thanks in advance.

Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 650D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,381Gear list
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

The ILC-3000 is now said to have IBIS & a metal lens mount , sounds too good to be true for £300 ? If AF only matches current cameras this could be an absolute winner ! A lot of current users will seriously consider this camera as a back-up.

-- hide signature --

Keith C

I think Sony saw A3x being redundant due to this camera in development, and since larger body made including EVF and IBIS easier, went for it.

I have begun to think that A3000 will also be the starting point for A-mount bodies, except that those might have this hybrid A/E mount we hear about, starting at a higher price point, allowing use of either A-mount or E-mount lenses without adapters.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,929Gear list
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

-- hide signature --

Keith C

Maybe SAR is screwing up again. The 20 mp sensor is not new, it was introduced in January with the A58.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/02/20/Sony-announces-Alpha-SLT-A58-20MP-DSLR-style-camera-with-SVGA-OLED-viewfinder

For the price of $300 + they could not possibly offer IBIS. Even though Sony has a preferential buying arrangement with Olympus. (We get IBIS, they get the best Sony sensors.)

What's happening? I think SAR is really talking about the mid-range humped Sony, the ILC-a5000 here.

Q....will the a5000 have NEX-5T technology as a parallel body to the NEX-5T?

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,381Gear list
Like?

seachicken2000 wrote:

Hmmm... IBIS isn't so useful for E-mount lenses as most have OSS already. I reckon there's a fair chance this has IBIS for the sake of A-mount lenses, and so perhaps this new sensor has on-sensor PDAF. As you say, even without PDAF, its going to be a hell of camera for the rumored price.

Looks like Sony have been busy..

A larger body (possibly the size of A3x/A55) made room for inclusion of IBIS, and a chance for providing both, A- and E- mounts on one body. While A3000 may support only E-mount, if there is a way to develop a hybrid mount supporting A- and E-, the higher up bodies may have that.

Although, how existing pancakes, or even PZ16-50, fit into this hybrid set up will be interesting (E-mount would have to be recessed into the body).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?
In reply to Alohaman, 11 months ago

D Cox wrote:

quezra wrote:

Could you explain the reason for you last sentence.  Thanks in advance.

I agree with D Cox that this mount is the best designed.

First if all the flange distance allows for usage of any legacy lens, including Leica M lenses.

Secondly this mount fits up to a fully blown full frame sensor with full electronic control.

You dont get this flexibility with any other mount, except from Canon's M-mount perhaps as this seems to be a copy paste of the E-mount, but Canon would never fit a FF sensor in it anyway unless their EF sales suddenly took a huge dive for some unlikely reason.

seachicken2000
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 11 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

A larger body (possibly the size of A3x/A55) made room for inclusion of IBIS, and a chance for providing both, A- and E- mounts on one body. While A3000 may support only E-mount, if there is a way to develop a hybrid mount supporting A- and E-, the higher up bodies may have that.

I hope somehow they've managed on-sensor PDAF, and put an articulating screen on the A3000. That would truly set it apart from the NEX models. A hybrid mount sounds too far fetched to me. I think it will simply be done with the LA-EA1, and LA-EA3 adapters.

Realistically, I think it's too much to hope that the A3000 will come with on-sensor PDAF. My guess is they will put it on the upper-end models at first, and if so the A3000 will need the LA-EA2.

-- hide signature --

Douglas Adams

RGBaker
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 11 months ago

Keit ll wroteFor the price of $300 + they could not possibly offer IBIS. Even though Sony has a preferential buying arrangement with Olympus. (We get IBIS, they get the best Sony sensors.)

The rumor -- and so far it is just that -- is 300 pounds or just over $450 US dollars body-only.  I offer no comment on whether that's a good price or not -- just that no where but in some posts here has the $300 figure been suggested.
Cheers,
GB

RGBaker's gear list:RGBaker's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
spacemn
Contributing MemberPosts: 831
Like?

Keit ll wrote:

Yes, terrific, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. On the SLT's there's no way to tell the camera the focal length of the lens that's attached (and IBIS needs this to work properly). If Sony goes the same route with the E-mount bodies, IBIS will only be useful for E- or A-mount lenses (or chipped legacy lenses).

I am not sure what to expect. On the one hand, Sony like forcing people to use their own stuff; on the other, they put focus peaking into the NEX bodies making them a lot more capable at focusing legacy lenses, and I believe this did them more good than harm.

-- hide signature --

Douglas Adams

Interesting point. Thanks.

It will be a let down if you cannot specify the FL manually for the ibis.

If you can then I will be too tempted to get this one a a second body. Actually it could threaten the NEX-6 sales esp if it gets OSPDAF as well but I doubt that.

4thnebula
Like?
In reply to RGBaker, 11 months ago

Good point.  That makes more sense.  Also allows for the cost of Sony adding IBIS.

4thnebula
Like?

Now that we have been straightened out that 300 pounds is about $450 that allows for the real possibility of Sony covering the cost of IBIS and tilting LCD screen.  That would put the ILC-3000 ahead of the Canon SL1 rather than just equally competing with it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads