Best way to carry/use 2 cameras

Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions
Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,562Gear list
Like?
Best way to carry/use 2 cameras
Aug 24, 2013

I'm looking for something that will allow me to carry and switch between 2 cameras quickly. I've looked at this style, but don't like how the cameras hang. One body will have a flash and one won't. I was thinking maybe a chest clip for one and a holster clip for the other. I'm not having any luck finding this sort of setup though. I'd rather not have the camera attached to me while using it.

Any thoughts or ideas on where to look and maybe what they're called so I can do a search.

If I'm off track and you have other ideas that might also be helpful.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
BBbuilder467
Contributing MemberPosts: 545
Like?
Re: Best way to carry/use 2 cameras
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Aug 24, 2013

Lowepro has a "Modular" system that offers a "technical" vest, harness, belt, etc. Then you can accessorize them to suit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Aug 25, 2013

Mike Ronesia wrote:

I'm looking for something that will allow me to carry and switch between 2 cameras quickly. I've looked at this style, but don't like how the cameras hang. One body will have a flash and one won't. I was thinking maybe a chest clip for one and a holster clip for the other. I'm not having any luck finding this sort of setup though. I'd rather not have the camera attached to me while using it.

Any thoughts or ideas on where to look and maybe what they're called so I can do a search.

If I'm off track and you have other ideas that might also be helpful.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Hey Mike,Mark

The dual BR system you posted a pic of is great for stationary shooting. As you point out the swinging cameras are not comfortable when moving around. You don't indicate body and lens sizes so I can only suggest my methods for a FF Canon 5D3 and a Canon 60D. I use a belt holster (Spyder) for the 60D and a lens like the 35L along with the single BlackRapid which I attach the large FF DSLR with a 24-70 or 135L to. When walking I try to keep the large camera on the BR strap behind my hip so that it doesn't bounce around.

I also use another method with a smallish shouder bag and a DSLR plus flash accessories in it which I can pull out and use the wrist strap before reholstering in the bag. That along with another camera around my neck with conventional strap or BR. Mostly I prefer this method because you have extra gear in the bag like batteries and cards.

If you are hiking with two cameras the chest bag is a bad idea because it obstructs your view of your feet and it is easy to stumble because of that. If you use it on flat ground then it's very comfortable and convenient.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Mike Ronesia
Like?
In reply to wazu, Aug 25, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll start with something like this GTMax  It's cheap and looks very easy to get the camera in and out of. The Lowpro didn't seem to be what I was after, but the spyder might do the trick as well.

I have a Lumix GH2 and GH3 that I want to be able to switch between quickly. So much smaller then FF but not little.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
speedy mate
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Aug 26, 2013

Depending on how active you are with that setup and what you are wearing, it may become uncomfortable supporting the weight of a camera from your belt.  It really is all about personal preference, and I found mine to not like the clip holster.  You may find you love it and for that price it's definitely worth finding out for yourself.  And while my preference is to have two black rapid slings criss-crossed over my shoulders it's not everyone's first choice.

I should note that with the stud mounted systems (where you screw into the tripod mount), I am CONSTANTLY checking to make sure it is still secured.  I was shooting a 5k a few months ago and the stud worked itself out of the tripod foot on my 70-200.  Next thing I know, I'm looking down at a busted D7000 to my left and a 70-200 rolling around to the right with the camera's mounting hardware still attached.  Still love the black rapid system but now I just make sure everything's secured.

speedy mate's gear list:speedy mate's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +2 more
Mike Ronesia
Like?
In reply to speedy mate, Aug 26, 2013

Good info, thanks.

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,741Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mike Ronesia, Aug 26, 2013

Cotton Carrier vest and holster:

http://buy.cottoncarrier.com/cotton-carrier-camera-system-p/124rtl-d.htm

Comfortable, less flopping about.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,741Gear list
Like?
In reply to wazu, Aug 26, 2013

I use the Cotton Carrier vest, and the bare camera (Canon 60D) is attached to the vest, so I do see my feet. Good thing, too, because most of the trails I choose are "rooty" and stony. I don't know how a pro camera grip would feel.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?
Cotton Carrier vest plus Cotton StrapShot.
In reply to Mike Ronesia, 11 months ago

Mike,

I use the Cotton Carrier vest plus the Cotton Strap Shot. Originally, I used the 2-camera system (vest and Side Holdster). But the side unit was getting in my way when I sat down to shoot close-ups.

This year I bought the StrapShot and I am very pleased with this. I attach it to my right backpack strap. I keep a Nikon D300 with a Sigma 150 f2.8 macro on the vest as this is my main / "go to" combo. I use a Nikon D90 with another (longer mm) lens on the StrapShot.

The Cotton Carrier vest goes on first, then the backpack, then the cameras. The main camera strap goes on my neck but there is no weight on the strap.

The people at Cotton Carrier have been very helpful over the years. Good same company to work with.

Hope this helps,

Wayne

Mike Ronesia
Like?
Re: Cotton Carrier vest plus Cotton StrapShot.
In reply to dwa1, 11 months ago

Thanks everyone. Looks like a few good options out there. A couple of questions. How secure are the cameras in the Cotton rig and how easy are they to take out and put back, can you switch quickly or is it a process?

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,314
Like?
Re: Cotton Carrier vest plus Cotton StrapShot.

Mike Ronesia wrote:

Thanks everyone. Looks like a few good options out there. A couple of questions. How secure are the cameras in the Cotton rig and how easy are they to take out and put back, can you switch quickly or is it a process?

-- hide signature --

Mark James
A.K.A. Mike Ronesia

Which is it? Mike or Mark?

Anyway, yes the Cotton system is very secure. Watch their short demo video about how it locks in and stays secure. Very easy to do use - putting it in and taking it out.

If you use a backpack you could simply buy 2 of the StrapShots instead of the vest and one Strapshot. I always use a backpack, but the vest and one StrapShot works great for me.

Wayne

cyrano
Contributing MemberPosts: 874
Like?
OpTech dual harness

I use this to carry two large bodies with 24-70 and 70-200 lenses during long event shoots:

OP/TECH dual harness

I've used the Black Rapid dual-camera system, too. For event work, I prefer the OP/TECH dual harness for these reasons:

(1) There is no concern about putting heavy loads on the tripod sockets.

(2) There is no concern about dropping a camera if any single connector fails.

(3) There is no concern about connectors coming loose.

(4) The cameras are more stable against my body when I'm walking around -- which is really important when shooting in crowded venues.

(5) It's much easier to use this system with a tall flash bracket, as the camera remains upright when not in use. I can drop the camera/flash/bracket rig to my side without having the flash risk hitting the ground.

I find the OP/TECH system very comfortable for extended shoots. It's also very reasonably priced.

HomoSapiensWannaBe
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?
Re: OpTech dual harness
In reply to cyrano, 11 months ago

cyrano wrote:

I use this to carry two large bodies with 24-70 and 70-200 lenses during long event shoots:

OP/TECH dual harness

I've used the Black Rapid dual-camera system, too. For event work, I prefer the OP/TECH dual harness for these reasons:

(1) There is no concern about putting heavy loads on the tripod sockets.

(2) There is no concern about dropping a camera if any single connector fails.

(3) There is no concern about connectors coming loose.

(4) The cameras are more stable against my body when I'm walking around -- which is really important when shooting in crowded venues.

(5) It's much easier to use this system with a tall flash bracket, as the camera remains upright when not in use. I can drop the camera/flash/bracket rig to my side without having the flash risk hitting the ground.

I find the OP/TECH system very comfortable for extended shoots. It's also very reasonably priced.

Excellent system!  I prefer the Op/Tech double sling, though.  Securing the straps to both camera lugs gives peace of mind, but is not necessary except perhaps with heavy pro cameras and big lenses. I attach only to the left lug (opposite the grip). This way there is no strap in the way on the grip side, and it is easier to shoot verticals.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads