Street photo - C&C welcomes

Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions
Arnaud M
Regular MemberPosts: 490Gear list
Like?
Street photo - C&C welcomes
Aug 24, 2013

D700 + 24-120 f/4 VR

Title could be : Life is all about money...

C&C welcomes

-- hide signature --
 Arnaud M's gear list:Arnaud M's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +5 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lazy lightning
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
Re: Street photo - C&C welcomes
In reply to Arnaud M, Aug 24, 2013

Or the title could read, "Leave me alone and point that $2500 toy of yours at a pretty landscape or even a brick wall, I'm trying to survive day to day on these mean, cold streets."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Tommot1965
Contributing MemberPosts: 887
Like?
In reply to lazy lightning, Aug 24, 2013

Not really CC is it..you sure you're interested in Photography ?....thats what we do..we record images your comment is unhelpful and frankly not needed .

lazy lightning wrote:

Or the title could read, "Leave me alone and point that $2500 toy of yours at a pretty landscape or even a brick wall, I'm trying to survive day to day on these mean, cold streets."

michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,665Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tommot1965, Aug 24, 2013

Tommot1965 wrote:

Not really CC is it..you sure you're interested in Photography ?....thats what we do..we record images your comment is unhelpful and frankly not needed .

lazy lightning wrote:

What does CC stand for in your book?  I think that is exactly what he was doing.  I believe his comment/critique/criticism of the photo is that he finds the specific subject matter to be cliché and uninteresting.  Mind you, that's not my comment, I'm only interpreting what the other person wrote.

Unhelpful?  Maybe, maybe not.  Not needed?  Maybe, but the OP asked for C&C.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Cheezr
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
In reply to michaeladawson, Aug 25, 2013

Arnaud,

Street is hard and this one is pretty good, 2 comments:

1. I find the bicycle reflection distracting, personally I would crop it out.

2. The lighting is flat, with some PP you could make the lighting more dramatic and that would add some texture to the subjects skin

just my 2 cents worth.

CZR

-- hide signature --

Life is uncertain, eat dessert first.

Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,755
Like?
In reply to Cheezr, Aug 25, 2013

Anyone find it odd or interesting that there is a safe in the window right behind him?   It's bound to be real expensive and will hold unknown valuables.   A bit of a paradox because the poor chap has only a few cents to his name.   I definitely feel for him and wish I could lift him up a bit.   Guess you could say it's depressing and maybe better left alone?

-- hide signature --
Hokkaido Jan
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
In reply to Arnaud M, Aug 25, 2013

Hi.

The photo is a great one, and technically it's fine.

But I have to agree morally it's a little off.

The guy is probably at his lowest, and really doesn't need someone recording it for their own pleasure. (let's face it when we take photos it is for our pleasure, others pleasure or profit)

Can't you imagine how you would feel knowing a photo of you is being spread around the internet/galleries etc showing you in your own private hell?

I like the photo in technical terms, but yeah I think it should at least be kept private?

Cheers, HJ.

Hokkaido Jan's gear list:Hokkaido Jan's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Arnaud M
Like?
About feedback

I hear your comments and thank you for making your opinions. The consensus that emerges from them is that this photo disturbing. The plight of this homeless man probably hits you and therefore it is best to ignore the distress and certainly not the show.

Unfortunately, this is indicative of today's society that prefers to look the other way while hunting the homeless in city centers because they interfere.

It is much less disturbing to see the harsh images of war-torn bodies flooding the media because it is going away from us.

While this misery, she is at our feet, to reach our comfortable lives.

Somehow, I'm glad this photo do react if to win general acceptance.

I do not expect you to change your mind, but ask yourself the reason why you feel that way.

The paradox is what it is. A poor guy collecting a few meager coins to survive in the background with this safe symbol of wealth.

Thank you for reading me.

PS: Sorry for my english but it is not my native language and it is not easy to express this kind of feeling.

-- hide signature --
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +5 more
mikemsphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?

I think the elements for a strong image are there but I also think you could improve it by shooting from a lower viewpoint. By standing and shooting down at the subject it ends up feeling a bit voyeuristic and grabbed.
If you went down to his level but still included him, the safe and his hat, I think it might be a more effective image. You could also tell the guy about the safe behind him and why you think it's an interesting image and see if he'd go along with it as a tighter shot. Then you could drop a decent contribution in his hat and you'd both be happy.
--
Michael Sherman
http://www.msphoto.ca

lazy lightning
Like?

Aside from having an uncaring attitude towards someone obviously going through a hard time in this life, it's just a boring photo. A subject which if we choose to notice are all to common these days and very easy pickin's. That your chosen target happened to have a few coins in his hat and an open safe behind him creating a juxtaposition doesn't make this a good street photo. It's a played out scenario that has been done to death. A fat lady eating a donut in front of a Weight Watchers storefront, an old man, bent and drawn from the years dressed in a suit, tie and hat standing by a modern billboard for Ralph Lauren showing an impossibly fit young kid wearing nothing but undershorts, etc. These types of photos have been made for years, some with greater success but most are rather mundane.

Street photography is not a definable genre other than a photo of someone generally in a place whether it be on a street proper or not. I believe a good street photo should tell a compelling story and or have an interesting subject. A shot of some homeless dude on the street is a dime a dozen these days. It doesn't make it any more profound when you notice an open safe behind him and think, "wow, that's deep man."

reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Like?
Do's and Don'ts

I think what some forum members are suggesting is a prevailing notion held by many street shooters. Don't go for the easy shots of street performers and homeless. These tend to be banal and done to death.

I would have squatted and shot from a lower perspective. You could still include his hat in the foreground and safe in the background. Getting interesting patterns, shapes, textures, side-lighting, and shadows make for more interesting B&W photos and can elevate a shot from an ordinary snapshot to a keeper.

ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?
Re: Do's and Don'ts
In reply to reginalddwight, Aug 26, 2013

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2010/06/21/100-things-i-have-learned-about-photography/

Eric Kim makes some good point about street photography and one is:

#66. Shooting photos of homeless people in an attempt to be “artsy” is exploitation.

I always try to be aware of that fine line when I'm out shooting folks on the streets, but at times it can be a very fine line.

This guy preaches on the streets every morning and is always at rest in the evening, kinda like he used all his energy saving the world earlier in the day, so I felt a bit more comfortable shooting him at this point. The fact that he had headphones on helped ease my mind also. If he had looked like he was really on the skids I probably would have passed on taking the shot.

Also, he will never ask for money but just hands out flyers and preaches to those passing by.

Resting Preacher

__

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
exifnotfound
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?
Re: About feedback
In reply to Arnaud M, Aug 26, 2013

Arnaud M wrote:

I hear your comments and thank you for making your opinions. The consensus that emerges from them is that this photo disturbing. The plight of this homeless man probably hits you and therefore it is best to ignore the distress and certainly not the show.

Unfortunately, this is indicative of today's society that prefers to look the other way while hunting the homeless in city centers because they interfere.

It is much less disturbing to see the harsh images of war-torn bodies flooding the media because it is going away from us.

While this misery, she is at our feet, to reach our comfortable lives.

Somehow, I'm glad this photo do react if to win general acceptance.

I do not expect you to change your mind, but ask yourself the reason why you feel that way.

The paradox is what it is. A poor guy collecting a few meager coins to survive in the background with this safe symbol of wealth.

Thank you for reading me.

PS: Sorry for my english but it is not my native language and it is not easy to express this kind of feeling.

-- hide signature --

You're not creating awareness for a good cause.

You're just another amateur photographer taking amateur photos and now fishing for virtual kudos.

You should sell your camera and give that guy the money, I guarantee it will be the most constructive thing you'll ever do with it.

exifnotfound's gear list:exifnotfound's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ernie Misner, Aug 26, 2013

Ernie Misner wrote:

Anyone find it odd or interesting that there is a safe in the window right behind him? It's bound to be real expensive and will hold unknown valuables. A bit of a paradox because the poor chap has only a few cents to his name. I definitely feel for him and wish I could lift him up a bit. Guess you could say it's depressing and maybe better left alone?

I saw that too.  I thought it added some irony.  People coming into the shop for a safe to keep their valuables safe, meanwhile the man is sitting on a plastic bag containing his few valuables.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hokkaido Jan, Aug 26, 2013

But I have to agree morally it's a little off.

The guy is probably at his lowest, and really doesn't need someone recording it for their own pleasure. (let's face it when we take photos it is for our pleasure, others pleasure or profit)

Can't you imagine how you would feel knowing a photo of you is being spread around the internet/galleries etc showing you in your own private hell?

You got it.  I think to truly tell a story of suffering, one must use their imagination to convince themselves for a few minutes that "they themselves" are in that position, and then express that feeling in the way they approach the photograph.

The exposure may be technically correct, but so would a picture of a parking meter.  The picture looks like the photographer just walked up to the man pointed his camera down and clicked, as if he couldn't even be bothered to bend down, stand back, compose with story telling information.

I'm not suggesting that's the way it happened..just say'n that's what the photograph looks like to me.  The way it's shot I get a strong sense that the camera has turned inward and has portrayed human insensitivity.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

mothergoose
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
Re: About feedback

Arnaud M wrote:

I don't agree with this. The photo isn't compelling--I'm not feeling the suffering. As others have mentioned, the perspective is not well done. Get down to his level and make it more personal--and show less space above. Another option would be to show more of the surroundings with the man as the focal point.

Personally though, I would feel guilty of exploiting his situation just so I can have a photo to show off at DPR. Too many photographers take photos of suffering and poverty then think it's automatically good photography or art. It takes much skill to do it in a respectful manner.

mothergoose's gear list:mothergoose's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
Arnaud M
Like?

Contrary to what some people say, I never claimed that this photo was art, I just asked your opinion. Some are constructive, and I hear your criticism and thank you.

Too bad some comments also show insulting.

It reproaches me for not respecting this man photographing, some do the same in writing so.

As for the stupid remarks on the sale of my equipment, I will let you appreciate the intelligence of this remark.

-- hide signature --
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?

Arnaud M wrote:

Contrary to what some people say, I never claimed that this photo was art, I just asked your opinion. Some are constructive, and I hear your criticism and thank you.

It reproaches me for not respecting this man photographing, some do the same in writing so.

As for the stupid remarks on the sale of my equipment, I will let you appreciate the intelligence of this remark.

-- hide signature --

If someone suggested you sell your gear because of a photo then that person has some real issues.  I've found that there are some really unhappy folks here that take pleasure in cutting other's down while calling it constructive criticism.  Those folks need to just be passed over and not fed with a reply.

Happy shooting an enjoy the streets

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
mikemsphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033
Like?
In reply to Arnaud M, Aug 27, 2013

Arnaud M wrote:

-- hide signature --

Sometimes it's easier for people to criticize other peoples work rather than show any work of their own Arnaud. Some image concepts work and others not so much. You only learn by doing.

I was probably in a similar thought process to you when I saw a blind beggar sitting outside an eyeglasses store in old Delhi. I took the shot, but don't know that the image succeeded that well either.

-- hide signature --

Michael Sherman
http://www.msphoto.ca

lazy lightning
Like?
In reply to Arnaud M, Aug 27, 2013

Arnaud M wrote:

Contrary to what some people say, I never claimed that this photo was art, I just asked your opinion.

You ask for "Critique & Criticism" then don't like it when it's not what you want to hear.

You claim to be insulted by other photographers reactions when it is you that chose to display a photo on a very popular and public forum of a man at what may be the lowest point in his life.

Old people, street people, people sleeping on the sidewalk, people with their backs to you, shooting people from a distance, these type of subjects are too easy and rarely make a compelling street photo.

You got to get into the middle of it, smell the street, feel the street, mix it up!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads