DSC-RX100 vs DSC-HX50V - your opinions?

Started Aug 24, 2013 | Discussions
melman101
Junior MemberPosts: 37Gear list
Like?
DSC-RX100 vs DSC-HX50V - your opinions?
Aug 24, 2013

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum, and I've been looking at a new digital camera for my pregnant wife. At first, important to her, were GPS and Wifi. However, in looking at the differences between the DSC-HX50V and the DSC-RX100, it became apparent, that while GPS and Wifi are important to some people, it really isn't that important to us. What does differentiate the two camera's for me, is the optical zoom. The DSC-HX50V has an impressive 30x optical zoom.

Honestly, we weren't looking into anything high end, but the DSC-HX50V is around $450 - $500 (with a package). Then, I started looking around and we went to Best Buy yesterday. I saw the RX100 in person, but honestly, didn't realize what I was holding, and didn't really get to play with it too much. They didn't have the DSC-HX50V which was the camera I really wanted to play with.

I'm not sure of the performance (speed) of pictures of the DSC-HX50V, but I know the RX100 has 10fps. That is one important factor in deciding which camera to get.

Can you add on any lenses to enhance the optical zoom of the RX100 (I'm sure we would absolutely never do this) but I'm just curious?

Also, how is the macro lenses on both the cameras? That was something I glossed over on the reviews I was reading. What I did see, is how many times people said the RX100 is the best compact digital camera. In fact, Forbes had an article 4 days ago, still praising the RX100.

So I ask you, dear readers of this very knowledgeable forum, if you had the funds to only buy one camera, and your wife wanted a compact put in her pocket nothing big type camera, which one would you get? I'm leaning very heavily towards to the RX100.

Thanks very much for your time.

melman101

melman101's gear list:melman101's gear list
Sony RX100 II
johnny 99
Regular MemberPosts: 229
Like?
Re: DSC-RX100 vs DSC-HX50V - your opinions?
In reply to melman101, Aug 24, 2013

I own the RX100 and HX30V (previous version of the HX50V). I understand that the HX50V has a slightly bigger zoom, but is otherwise similar to the HX30V. The RX100 has much much better image quality, which is noticeable by even casual viewers at 8x10 inch image sizes. The image quality difference is noticeable in bright sunlight photos, but even more significant in low light conditions. On the other hand, the big zoom of the HX30V lets you take sports and wildlife photos that are impossible with the RX100. Also, the HX30V can focus much much closer, making it much better for macro photos than the RX100. I sometimes carry both cameras, using the RX100 when I can because of the image quality, but also using the HX30V when that is the only option for a particular shot.

If you like posting photos to Facebook or Instagram, the WiFi feature is very handy since it allows you to upload photos from the field. The newer version of the RX100 also has this feature. You can also do this with EyeFi and the like, though the built-in Sony WiFi feature is more convenient.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?

For meaningful feedback, it will help if you can detail the expected uses of the camera.  You mentioned the 10 fps of the RX, for example, but not what you expect to shoot at 10 fps.

The RX100 has a much larger sensor than the HX line of cameras, and that larger sensor is really very good, allowing decent high ISO as well as great dynamic range.  The bright wide aperture lens (at least at wide angle) coupled with the excellent sensor makes the RX a pretty good low light camera.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with the RX.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
melman101
Like?
In reply to GingerBread, Aug 24, 2013

Well, we just want to really take pictures of the baby. So nothing too intense but something that while last a while (not about to buy a new camera anytime soon after this one).

I think we are going to get the DSC-RX100 M2

Sony RX100 II
navydad
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?

I have the HX50V. Price was one consideration for me (got it on sale for $380). The wifi has also been useful. I forgot my card reader one day and was able to transfer the pictures I needed to my iPhone. Zoom range was also important. I love to visit civil war battlefields and the zoom comes in handy. There is no dedicated macro mode but it's possible to work around it.

If you're picky about IQ, the RX100 is probably a better bet. The HX50V is very good, but the 100 has the better sensor. It's also better in low light.

The 100 gets raves here, but many of us are very satisfied with the 50. You'll have to make the choice based on price and what features are important to you and your wife. Enjoy whatever you get and don't forget to share!

melman101
Like?
In reply to melman101, Aug 25, 2013

Well, I went to a camera store yesterday and got to play around with the RX100M2. My mind is definitely made up on the RX100 and I think I am going to even splurge more on the RX100M2. I really like the fact of the better low light sensor, and the wifi and hotshot accessory port.

My wife and I are very very novice camera people, and her main criteria is portability. So I think that we can get the RX100M2, and probably pick it up as a hobby, and instead of buying a DSLR then using this, I think we will buy this one first. We have no interest in swapping or bringing lenses around at the current time, so I think the RX100M2 will be an awesome fit for us.

Probably a bit out of our league, but well, if I'm going to buy a point and shoot, I mind as well get the best one that I can afford and find and it seems like the RX100M2 is that camera.

Sony RX100 II
navydad
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to melman101, Aug 25, 2013

melman101 wrote:

My wife and I are very very novice camera people, and her main criteria is portability. So I think that we can get the RX100M2, and probably pick it up as a hobby.

Probably a bit out of our league, but well, if I'm going to buy a point and shoot, I mind as well get the best one that I can afford.

Please don't take this as criticism: the 100 is a very sophisticated camera. There's a very steep learning curve if you're a novice camera person. If all you're going to wind up doing is taking pictures in "auto" mode then there are good, less expensive cameras to choose from that will take wonderful pictures. Just because a camera is expensive and feature-packed and "the best" doesn't mean it's the right one for you. It's like buying a Maserati just to commute to work.

I was more than happy with my little Canon P&S when I didn't want to drag my dslr around. (The Canon broke so     I upgraded to the Sony HX50V). What I'm trying to say, and what others can probably say better, is that having the best camera won't necessarily make you a good photographer. Try different models and see what you're comfortable with before you make a decision. Sometimes simpler is better.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

melman101
Like?
In reply to navydad, Aug 25, 2013

Thanks navydad. My friend and I had this exact discussion and whether or not I should get something like the Panasonic Lumix ZS30 or the DSC-HX50v as mentioned in this thread

I completely understand what both of you are saying, however, I will say this. Let's say, that we are completely novice camera people which is 100% true.

If we buy the Canon Point and Shoot, or the DSC-HX50V or the Lumix ZS30, or the RX100M2, you are right in that having the best camera doesn't make you the best photographer. However, if you are starting out, and you want to learn, and you have one of the best camera's, then when you get good, or if you want to mess with the hobby you can. If I buy a regular point and shoot and never get in the hobby, I saved money. If I buy a point and shoot and want to do more, then I need a new camera.

I'm essentially trying to get a nice camera that if we want to, we can grow with, but if we don't we don't need to.

Sure, I probably could save about $400 bucks on the RX100M2 by getting the Panasonic Lumix ZS30, but what the heck? You only live once right?!

My wife and I are still really trying to decide. The baby is coming in January so if we do get the RX100M2 it will probably be the only camera we buy for a very long time, and think it will do us well with the kid (any opinions / experiences with that)?

I really like the low-light features of it, the fact it shoots in RAW (not that I will use that right away), the portability of it, and the intense sensor.

We have a Sony DSC-W70 for a long time, and I understand their are huge differences between a smartphone camera and a point and shoot.

I just feel that if I'm going to buy a point and shoot, it's gotta be leaps and bounds better than what we have with our smartphones, and our old point and shoot, and I just feel that I will not be disappointed with the RX100M2.

I value all of your opinions in helping me make this decision. It is very expensive and I'm definitely not sure if it's worth it for us. However, that being said, if we do get into it, and take a lot of great pictures, than in the long run, that will be worth it for us.

I still haven't ordered, gonna mull it over for a week and still look at other stuff. But I'm definitely leaning heavily towards the RX100M2.

My friend was trying to get us to grab the Canon Rebel T3/T4, but my wife really wants something portability. He was giving us the hard sell on saying the 30x zoom is more important to your wife than image quality, but I feel in the long run, if we have amazing shots of our new daughter, then it would be worth it.

Sony RX100 II
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?
In reply to melman101, Aug 26, 2013

For a baby, you should really appreciate the ability of the fast f/1.8 lens and high ISO to take indoor baby shots without an annoying flash. (And even if you want a flash, you can tilt the RX100 flash up to bounce off the ceiling.

The biggest knock on the RX100/m2 in Auto mode is its tendancy to choose a slow 1/30 shutter speed, so learning S mode (shutter speed priority) helps avoiding blurry subjects in motion.

FYI, there is a huge difference between the inferior Canon T3 and the betterT3i , but I do not think there is a T4, just the T4i. With just a kit lens, I think the RX100 beats the T3i, but the T4i with the STM lens would give the RX100 a really good run for the money.

GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?

Nothing wrong with getting an RX even if you are a novice.  I let my girlfriend take my Canon S95 with her on a vacation trip last year.  Her pics were fine.  This year I let her take the RX100 and I set the custom modes up for her, one for regular outdoor scenes, one for flash indoors and one for HDR.  Plus I showed her how to use the sweep panorama mode.  Her pics with the RX were great, and she is a total novice.  Unlike some high end DSLR that require you to get fairly involved in the decision making, cameras like the RX can give great results without digging deep into the settings.   I'd never suggest a novice buy a D800, but I don't see anything wrong with a novice buying a high end point and shoot like the RX100.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
MarioV
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,123Gear list
Like?

Hi melman

In your case, I would go with the RX100.

The other consideration for your wife is, how portable does she like her cameras to be?  Are you sure she's ok with the size of the RX100?

At the moment, possibly the best camera for the following 3 criteria: Image quality, Zoom and Slim size is the Panasonic LF1.

Best wishes

MarioV's gear list:MarioV's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon D5200 Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
melman101
Like?
In reply to MarioV, Aug 26, 2013

We've messed with the RX100m2 in the store and she liked it.

I checked out the Panasonic Lumix LF1 as you suggested. Very nice camera as well.

I think we will still go with the RX100M2 for the pure and simple fact that it seems everyone loves it, and the sample pictures I see with it are in fact, amazing.

Just curious as to why the Panasonic Lumix LF1 is better than the Panasonic ZS30?

Honestly, I really love the pictures that the RX100M2 takes, and when we played with it in store, it was definitely very responsive.

We are also looking for a camera that is pretty responsive.

Thanks for all your help!

Sony RX100 II
melman101
Like?
In reply to GingerBread, Aug 26, 2013

Thank you guys very much for your advice. We are really leaning towards the RX100M2 for many reasons.

I think it's professional capabilities along with it's compact size, and the ability for regular people to take pictures with it make it a stand out choice in my view.

Even if I did buy another camera now, I'd always be wondering what if I had that RX100M2 :-). So I think that's what we are going to get.

Sony RX100 II
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 822
Like?

We've messed with the RX100m2 in the store and she liked it.

I checked out the Panasonic Lumix LF1 as you suggested. Very nice camera as well.

I think we will still go with the RX100M2 for the pure and simple fact that it seems everyone loves it, and the sample pictures I see with it are in fact, amazing.

Just curious as to why the Panasonic Lumix LF1 is better than the Panasonic ZS30?

Honestly, I really love the pictures that the RX100M2 takes, and when we played with it in store, it was definitely very responsive.

We are also looking for a camera that is pretty responsive.

Thanks for all your help!

The LF-1 has a slightly larger sensor than the ZS30 (the RX100 is about 3x larger than the LF1) and larger sensors typically have greater dynamic range and better low light performance. The LF-1 also has a "faster" f/2.0 lens and smaller f/ also mean better low light (the RX100 is fractionally better at f-1.8) performance. The LF-1 also can shoot in RAW and has an EFV.
All 4 of those features mean much, much more to photographers than megapixels...they only compare megapixels after every other feature is equal.

melman101
Like?
In reply to notime, Aug 26, 2013

Wow thank you very much. That was definitely informative.

Yes, I've learned that Megapixels are not something to go by. It's everything else. And that 3x larger sensor in the RX100 has my interest definitely peaked.

Will we ever get to use it to it's fullest capabilities? I sure hope so

Sony RX100 II
aaanouel
Senior MemberPosts: 5,081Gear list
Like?
Pixel peeping or photography?
In reply to melman101, Aug 29, 2013

If you love pixel peeping get a RX100, OK... and if you love versatility, power and creativity get an HX50V, without blinking!.

-- hide signature --

aaanouel
Truth is a pathless land.
The dead past darkens the ever living present.
Corrections and critics are more than very welcome, desirables.

aaanouel's gear list:aaanouel's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P73 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +21 more
Muz4
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?

Can someone comment on the extended zoom feature in Rx100.
How is the IQ at 10mp and FL of 142 and at 5mp with FL of 202.
How will the IQ be for print size of 4x6 at these extended zoom ranges.

larsbc
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?
Please read this book

On the subject of whether the camera is more than you'll need, I'll say that it's just fine for you.

Where the RX100 excels over the other P&S cameras is in its image quality, and that is something that will appear in your photos no matter how good or bad you are as a photographer.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a longer zoom range. The vast majority of your shots will be handled with the RX100's 28-110 range. You'll also be doing a lot of indoor photography where the RX100's superior image quality will shine.

BTW I encourage you to learn about off-camera flash when you want to step up your game. Taking control of the light makes a tremendous different in your photography.

In fact, I recommend that you buy (or borrow from the library) this book: http://www.amazon.com/How-Photograph-Your-Baby-Getting/dp/B0014JOKC0

Besides being a good book on how to photograph your baby, it provides an excellent introduction on how to use light, both natural and artificial, to your advantage.  The information is geared toward parents who are unfamiliar with cameras.  The information about lighting is like a secret weapon that will raise your photos above the dreck that you see so often in people's albums.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads