Beware - Corel Paintshop Pro X6

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
VA-ArtG
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?
Beware - Corel Paintshop Pro X6
11 months ago

I received a notice from Corel that I could upgrade to the above at reduced rate to existing customers. I paid and downloaded the software (on 8-22-2013) - it will not install.

I contacted Corel, was told I needed a support code or I could pay for assistance. The support code was never sent to me.

Hope you have more success with the product (if you download it) and with Corel if you have a problem.

Art Guertin

-- hide signature --

'There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit.'
-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

Hemidart
Senior MemberPosts: 1,939
Like?
Re: Beware - Corel Paintshop Pro X6
In reply to VA-ArtG, 11 months ago

Are you getting an error message etc.?

-- hide signature --

Proud owner of the Canon 5D MkI Classic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NKlightart
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hemidart, 11 months ago

For me installation was successful and I registered also. But never received a support code mail. I too was looking for the code. Since i need to inform the tech support about Nik Color Efex 4 not working with X6. It used to work with X5.

NKlightart's gear list:NKlightart's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G +7 more
JamesMortimer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,492
Like?

VA-ArtG wrote:

I received a notice from Corel that I could upgrade to the above at reduced rate to existing customers. I paid and downloaded the software (on 8-22-2013) - it will not install.

I contacted Corel, was told I needed a support code or I could pay for assistance. The support code was never sent to me.

Hope you have more success with the product (if you download it) and with Corel if you have a problem.

Art Guertin

-- hide signature --

'There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit.'
-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

You can understand why people pirate software when this sort of shiit happens!

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,589
Like?
Did you try?
In reply to NKlightart, 11 months ago

NKlightart wrote:

For me installation was successful and I registered also. But never received a support code mail. I too was looking for the code. Since i need to inform the tech support about Nik Color Efex 4 not working with X6. It used to work with X5.

X6 is 64bit, it will not run 32bit plugins which I would assume Nik Color Efex4 is since it ran under X5 which was 32bit. In the feature video it states there is a 32bit mode you can run so it is compatable with 32bit plugins.

Watch this video that explains this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIRy-97NxMY&feature=youtu.be

Richard
Like?
Always download the trial first. Mine installed fine

VA-ArtG wrote:

Art Guertin

I downloaded the trial, no issues, works fine but I have not done much editing to test it but I have tested it enough to see they fixed some bugs, most notably when I drag and drop a large number of images it would crash the program. Now when you hit 10 it warns if you continue  it may run slower, if you say yes it will continue to load the images without crashing  X6. This could have been a limitation of X5 because it was a 32 bit application.

scientist
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
In reply to JamesMortimer, 11 months ago

That's your rational for pirating software? Because one person had a slight problem.

Steve Cohan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,311Gear list
Like?
Mine installed perfectly too. When you write a complaint thread

like this, you should give more information that is pertinent about your system. Here are some ideas, the amount of RAM, the operating system, the main system chip, the video card and so forth. After having a computer company for nearly thirty years, it appears that your system may have some conflicts with the new software. Your system builder may be the source of relief, not Corel.

Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +14 more
JamesMortimer
Like?
In reply to scientist, 11 months ago

scientist wrote:

That's your rational for pirating software? Because one person had a slight problem.

How do you know it was one person?

It was one person HERE, but DPR is pretty much nothing. There might be 1000s who are sick of this sort of customer support.

And it's not just Corel, it's ALL of the software "giants" - they all treat customers like open wallets with fleshy-scum attached.

scientist
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?
In reply to JamesMortimer, 11 months ago

Boy, you have some chip on your shoulder. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

JamesMortimer
Like?
In reply to scientist, 11 months ago

scientist wrote:

Boy, you have some chip on your shoulder. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

So.. just tell me how it's a "chip"?

All I'm doing is steering clear of companies that I find have the morals and ethics of retarded politicians.

I'd do the same for a high-street shop as well.

Skipper494
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,923
Like?

Corel AfterShot Pro is the one to get.

Steve Cohan
Like?
They are totally different classifications of software.
In reply to Skipper494, 11 months ago

Aftershot is a photo management software. Paintshop Pro is an editing software.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +14 more
NKlightart
Like?
Re: Did you try?
In reply to Richard, 11 months ago

I tried with 32-bit version only. I am a Win 7 32-bit user (planning to upgrade to 64-bit).

Nik Color Efex Pro 3 works fine with 32-bit X6 but Color Efex pro 4.0 doesn't works with 32-bit X6 also.

X5 used to work with Color Efex Pro 4.0.

Behavior in PSP X5

In CEP 4.0 filter window, when I click ok, the CEP 4.0 window closes, but the effects I applied in CEP 4.0 window is not seen in X5, but in History pallet CEP 4.0 action is shown. What I do then is in History Pallet right click the CEP 4.0 action and choose "apply to current document" option. This applies the filter.

Behavior in PSP X6

CEP 4.0 filter window comes up, I can choose filters inside CEP 4.0 window successfully. But when I click Ok/apply in the CEP 4.0 Window, the CEP 4.0 window disappears but a busy cursor is shown and PSP X6 hangs. It Keep on showing the busy cursor for ever. No actions are allowed in PSP X6 after this.

Same thing happens if I click Cancel button in CEP 4.0 window. PSP X6 hangs.

Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G +7 more
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,105
Like?
In reply to Skipper494, 11 months ago

Skipper494 wrote:

Corel AfterShot Pro is the one to get.

That's a very uninformed, and unhelpful comment.

AfterShot Pro and PaintShop Pro are completely different programs with completely different purposes.
You should take some time to educate yourself as to the functions of each one.

contadorfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Re: They are totally different classifications of software.
In reply to Steve Cohan, 11 months ago

Steve Cohan wrote:

Aftershot is a photo management software. Paintshop Pro is an editing software.

Aftershot Pro is a photo editor too. From Corel's web site:

"Corel® AfterShot™ Pro is a fast, flexible photo workflow solution that combines robust photo management, advanced non-destructive adjustments and complete RAW processing. ... Experiment with and alter images freely with non-destructive adjustment tools and apply enhancements precisely with selective editing."

ASP & PSP have a lot of overlap, but ASP's emphasis is RAW processing; PSP does more extensive editing & has drawing tools. Both are nice programs individually and as companion apps.

Personally, no trouble yet with the new PSPx6.  It's much faster & smoother operating on my Windows 7 64 bit laptop.

contadorfan's gear list:contadorfan's gear list
Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
oneyewonder
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?

It should be said that simply obtaining this download is a major time waster and a general pain. Corel feeds you a popup while in your current version, inviting you to pre-purchase and get a price break. After Corel gets your money and you try to activate the download link, you discover that, because your existing version is still open underneath, the links in the purchase page are all frozen. So now, Corel has your money, and you have nothing to show for it. There is no download link on their site for this program. Indeed, no reference to it seems to exist. Frustration leads to frustration as you then discover Corel is one of those companies that seems to go to great lengths to prevent you from actually communicating with the company if you have a problem. The next day (Monday - this company only functions Mon. through Fri.) I received an e-mail with links that finally allowed me to download what I had purchased. After hundreds of MBs of downloads I discover that the installation instructions are only accessible with a Flash player. I now must load Adobe's Flash player onto my system. After doing so I go back to Corel to discover that none of the download instruction links will open in Flash. There aren't any references to on their site to the software version you just purchased, so you must go to an earlier version and try the install instructions for one of those, just to get an idea whether or not you must uninstall your current version first (If you do this and find out it isn't necessary, you've just lost all your settings). I still haven't installed the program, but am fully convinced that this is one of the most poorly run corporations on the planet. Get ready for a gut-wrenching experience if you pull the trigger on this one.

Richard
Like?
Perhaps your experience.
In reply to oneyewonder, 11 months ago

oneyewonder wrote:

It should be said that simply obtaining this download is a major time waster and a general pain.

If that were true, they would go out of business because no one would be able to install the software. I think you are a minority group.

Possibly with someone with little computer experience. I had absolutly no issues. The link will take you to the download page, I downloaded the trial to make sure it did not cause an issue. Worked flawlessly.

Corel feeds you a popup while in your current version, inviting you to pre-purchase and get a price break. After Corel gets your money and you try to activate the download link, you discover that, because your existing version is still open underneath, the links in the purchase page are all frozen. So now, Corel has your money, and you have nothing to show for it.

You download the trial, insert your license.

There is no download link on their site for this program. Indeed, no reference to it seems to exist.

They are allowing current customers to get a jump on everyone else. So there was no links when I looked either. Only the one from email or popup.

Frustration leads to frustration as you then discover Corel is one of those companies that seems to go to great lengths to prevent you from actually communicating with the company if you have a problem.

We agree that support is not as good as Adobe, but then it does not cost as much either.

The next day (Monday - this company only functions Mon. through Fri.) I received an e-mail with links that finally allowed me to download what I had purchased. After hundreds of MBs of downloads I discover that the installation instructions are only accessible with a Flash player. I now must load Adobe's Flash player onto my system. After doing so I go back to Corel to discover that none of the download instruction links will open in Flash. There aren't any references to on their site to the software version you just purchased, so you must go to an earlier version and try the install instructions for one of those, just to get an idea whether or not you must uninstall your current version first

I never uninstall old software, I have found that either the software installs another version or it does an upgrade of the current one. This happens on all software. If the software needs to be uninstalled, the installation will tell you or the manufactures will state you must uninstall original for all other software I have used.

(If you do this and find out it isn't necessary, you've just lost all your settings). I still haven't installed the program, but am fully convinced that this is one of the most poorly run corporations on the planet. Get ready for a gut-wrenching experience if you pull the trigger on this one.

I have been using Corel since Corel photopaint 8. I disagree with your statement. I have had very few issues. But I agree that software support is not as good as Adobe, but then again I own the software, don't have to use a cloud don't have to make monthly payments for software that quites working when I quite paying.

NKlightart
Like?
Re: Did you try?
In reply to NKlightart, 11 months ago

I tried multiple work around of my own but CEP 4.0 will no way work with X6. Also I am yet to get a support code from Corel, although the product was registered almost a week back, hence I am not able to get in touch with Corel team. So X6 is going to be a dead purchase for me. I am going back to X5 from which I upgraded. Hope at least in future Corel starts the practice of releasing beta versions to (at least ) their paid users to get feedback before actually releasing the product.

I had high expectation from X6 since it was the first release after Adobe going to CC. Thought that Corel would use this opportunity to introduce a new version which would woo PS users towards PSP.

Steve Cohan
Like?
Your post is ridiculous. The download, installation
In reply to oneyewonder, 11 months ago

and registration process is simple and flawless.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads