If Apple abandoned Aperture.....

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Discussions
Abbott Schindler
Senior MemberPosts: 2,371
Like?
Re: If Apple abandoned Aperture.....
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Aug 25, 2013

A couple of things that might help:

First, the last version of iDVD still works just great on my machines running 10.8.4. I don't know what the Apple folks were thinking, or maybe I'm just not using the feature(s) that were broken.

Second, look on the Mac App Store. There's a slew of free or very inexpensive video format conversion applications available. I've tried several and they work just fine. Most are very similar to each other.

As previously mentioned, Toast Titanium is an excellent burning application, although some blu-ray features require an optional (extra cost) plug-in. I wouldn't be without it on a Mac and, although I also run Windows VMs, wouldn't consider launching Windows just to burn discs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Aug 26, 2013

Agreed that if you already have Parallels and Roxio Creator, that is a workaround.  But it requires running Windows.  There is a "freeware" program called Handbrake that will make almost any conversion known to man with any type of video file.  Seems to be the program of choice for those trying to transcode any video file from one format to another.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,921
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Aug 26, 2013

iDVD was about much more than just transcoding a single movie into a single auto-start DVD.

You could create menus and slideshows with it, and it had many themes (some with video effects like moving picture frames that could contain stills or short video clips).

Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, Aug 26, 2013

Oh my...

Another 'Apple aren't updating aperture every six months bringing in loads of great new feature I NEED NOW. Apple are so lame' thread.

Park it with the 'Adobe are updating photoshop every six months bringing in loads of lame new features I DON'T NEED. Adobe are so lame' threads.

Maybe the two groups of threads will cancel each other out in some great matter / anti-matter explosion and we can all move on.

MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to Alpha Doug, Aug 26, 2013

Alpha Doug wrote:

There is a "freeware" program called Handbrake that will make almost any conversion known to man with any type of video file. Seems to be the program of choice for those trying to transcode any video file from one format to another.

I downloaded and installed this on my Mac but, as far as I can tell, it will only create output video files of MP4 and MKV formats. It will not produce MP2, avi, mov or VOB formats. Perhaps it will accept them as inputs but I have not seen any way to produce them. I will look through the documentation but the only selections on the output video formats are MP4 and MKV.

If I want to create a dvd based slide show I need to be able to create VOB formats.

miketuthill
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,019Gear list
Like?
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Aug 26, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Alpha Doug wrote:

There is a "freeware" program called Handbrake that will make almost any conversion known to man with any type of video file. Seems to be the program of choice for those trying to transcode any video file from one format to another.

I downloaded and installed this on my Mac but, as far as I can tell, it will only create output video files of MP4 and MKV formats. It will not produce MP2, avi, mov or VOB formats. Perhaps it will accept them as inputs but I have not seen any way to produce them. I will look through the documentation but the only selections on the output video formats are MP4 and MKV.

If I want to create a dvd based slide show I need to be able to create VOB formats.

This is a little off topic but you may wish to check out this free open source burning software:

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

miketuthill's gear list:miketuthill's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +7 more
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
In reply to miketuthill, Aug 27, 2013

miketuthill wrote:

This is a little off topic but you may wish to check out this free open source burning software:

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Thank you. I have downloaded the software and will give it a try.

As I mentioned I have Roxio Creator running under Parallels but I would rather not be running Windows software on this Mac. If I can get what I need inexpensively and native to the Mac that is far preferable.

I thought that running Windows software on the Mac would be painless and, I suppose, it is, at least relatively so. But I would prefer to stick with OS X compatible software if I can.

Hans de Zomers
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jen Yates, Aug 27, 2013

So true Jen...guess these are real people: never happy.

I also don't see any purpose for a "what if Apple" thread. As long as Apple doesn't say that a product is abandoned/discontinues this is a complete non-issue.

Hans de Zomers's gear list:Hans de Zomers's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Sony Alpha NEX-3N
Mr Fartleberry
Contributing MemberPosts: 900
Like?
In reply to Hans de Zomers, 11 months ago

Funny how an Aperture thread turns into a DVD burn one.

I switched my Aperture library to LR so I guess I don't need to be concerned. There were a lot of bugs in AP when it was released.

-- hide signature --

Sold the (old) half-frame from Thailand. Bought a 700 under my own personal stimulus
plan.

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,150Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mr Fartleberry, 11 months ago

Mr Fartleberry wrote:

Funny how an Aperture thread turns into a DVD burn one.

I switched my Aperture library to LR so I guess I don't need to be concerned. There were a lot of bugs in AP when it was released.

-- hide signature --

Sold the (old) half-frame from Thailand. Bought a 700 under my own personal stimulus
plan.

Sort of moot point.  What version of Aperture are you referring to.  I suspect it was a rather old one.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-}
www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
j900
Regular MemberPosts: 114
Like?
In reply to Graham Hill, 2 months ago

Graham Hill wrote:

.......would they tell us or would they just keep everyone hanging?

Was there an announcement when iWeb was discontinued? I can't recall.

I guess you have your answer now.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads