First shots with my new HS50, a camera that a week ago I hadn't even heard about.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
regos
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?
First shots with my new HS50, a camera that a week ago I hadn't even heard about.
8 months ago
No text.
 regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
regos
Like?
Re: First shots with my new HS50, a camera that a week ago I hadn't even heard about.
In reply to regos, 8 months ago

Sorry, here is the post.

My wife had been bugging me to get a long telephoto for my DSLR so she could take close-up pictures of me, windsurfing and stand up paddling. I was flattered, but I explained that to get a lens significantly longer than the 200mm (300mm equivalent on my D7000) that we already had, would cost an astonishing amount of money, be huge and unmanageable for her, would require a heavy tripod at all times and just didn't make sense. She persisted, and I got the idea that a new superzoom camera would be the answer to her request. Thus the new HS50EXR. I love my X-PRO1, and the reviews led me to choose the HS50, sight unseen.

So far my impressions are that, if you understand the limitations of the small sensor, it delivers. I am having fun playing with it. I never had a particular interest in long telephoto style photography (then again I have never gone on safari) but I can see that this is a good way to experiment with

SOOC JPEG

SOOC JPEG

Everyone seems to do a moon shot with these cameras, so here is mine, the night I got the camera, an actual blue moon.

RAW developed in Silkypix

SOOC JPEG, hand held.

This is from the same spot as previous wide angle, just zoomed all the way

RAW, developed in Silkypix, hand held.

SOOC JPEG

SOOC JPEG with forced flash

it. And it works as an all around point & shoot, although its overkill for that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 542Gear list
Like?
Re: First shots with my new HS50, a camera that a week ago I hadn't even heard about.

Hi regos,

A very nice series - it looks like you are really going to enjoy your HS50. Thanks for sharing.

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR
cantanima
Regular MemberPosts: 418Gear list
Like?

regos wrote:

SOOC JPEG

An embarrassment to dogs everywhere.

Nice shots, otherwise.

cantanima's gear list:cantanima's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix 2600 Zoom +2 more
Lloydy
Forum ProPosts: 18,705Gear list
Like?
Regos ...

... Congratulations on your new camera.

Settings I am using which you may wish to try out - HS50 Settings

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Dave

prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,463
Like?

regos wrote:

RAW developed in Silkypix

Appears to be a shot of Mt. Hood (in Oregon) from across the Columbia River (in Washington).  Where were you when you took it?

regos
Like?
In reply to prime, 8 months ago

Thanks for the kind comments. Yes, that is Mt. Hood and the Gorge. The picture was taken from my back deck in Underwood, WA.

Peter71951
Regular MemberPosts: 487
Like?

The dog and the squirrel together in peace is a fantastic shot. The way the dog looks.....

Have fun with the camera.

Peter

elaw
Forum MemberPosts: 81
Like?

I like the dog and the squirrel shot too.

Hope you grab even more interesting shots with it.

Thanks for sharing.

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,329Gear list
Like?

Fantastic series. Congrats on your HS50. Keep em coming!

I also like the dog with the squirrel. Great capture!

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
prime
Like?

regos wrote:

Yes, that is Mt. Hood and the Gorge. The picture was taken from my back deck in Underwood, WA.

I had seen your references to Falls Creek Falls before, but did not realize that you are a "local."  We go to Mt. Adams a half dozen times a year, and pass by Underwood every time, going and coming.  Have you been up to the Grassy Knoll trail (#146) north of Mill A and Willard?  There are some excellent vistas from that trail, but we have not hiked it since going digital, so I have no images to share.

regos
Like?
In reply to prime, 8 months ago

prime wrote:

regos wrote:

Yes, that is Mt. Hood and the Gorge. The picture was taken from my back deck in Underwood, WA.

I had seen your references to Falls Creek Falls before, but did not realize that you are a "local." We go to Mt. Adams a half dozen times a year, and pass by Underwood every time, going and coming. Have you been up to the Grassy Knoll trail (#146) north of Mill A and Willard? There are some excellent vistas from that trail, but we have not hiked it since going digital, so I have no images to share.

I don't know that trail. Where is the trailhead? I know about some of the campgrounds above Willard but would be happy to learn of a scenic trail so close to the house. I have some friends who spend most of their time hiking, so I will ask about this.

prime
Like?

regos wrote:

prime wrote:

Have you been up to the Grassy Knoll trail (#146) north of Mill A and Willard? There are some excellent vistas from that trail, but we have not hiked it since going digital, so I have no images to share.

I don't know that trail. Where is the trailhead? I know about some of the campgrounds above Willard but would be happy to learn of a scenic trail so close to the house. I have some friends who spend most of their time hiking, so I will ask about this.

It is off NF Road 68. Here is the Northwest Hiker's description (with some photos) of the trail: (NWhiker.com) We have only been there in the autumn, so have not seen the wildflowers. There are some huckleberry patches along the trail that should be coming in about now, but there are better sites if huckleberry picking is your only interest. (These days, we're lazy and mostly buy our huckleberries pre-picked at Riggleman's Fruit Stand on Highway 141 Alternate just below its intersection with 141.)

Ermanox
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

regos wrote:

Great shot with your new HS50

regos
Like?
In reply to Ermanox, 8 months ago

Here are a few more taken today. They are all SOOC JPEGs, with no post processing.

regos
Like?

Couple more:

Orion12
Senior MemberPosts: 1,118Gear list
Like?
In reply to regos, 7 months ago

regos wrote:

Here are a few more taken today. They are all SOOC JPEGs, with no post processing.

Outstanding Grapes & KittyBear. . .

Cheers from Orion:-D

Orion12's gear list:Orion12's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Pentax K10D +4 more
regos
Like?
In reply to Orion12, 7 months ago

Thanks for that. I have since processed some of these shots in different RAW processors, (I started a different thread about that) and some of them are improved over the JPEGs, for example:

Sactojim
Senior MemberPosts: 2,451
Like?
In reply to regos, 7 months ago

regos wrote:

Thanks for that. I have since processed some of these shots in different RAW processors, (I started a different thread about that) and some of them are improved over the JPEGs, for example:

The landscape holds all the colors very well..excellent with good detail. Kitty is sharp with very good colors and tones. You nailed these.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads