What's my RX1 worth ?

Started Aug 23, 2013 | Questions
ncsakany
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
Re: That's a noticeable splotch......
In reply to DFPanno, Aug 23, 2013

DFPanno wrote:

That's the first RX1R pic I have seen with appreciable moire.

That's from an RX1. His point was that even the RX1 has moire to some degree, if circumstances are right.

Unless I looked at his exif wrong.

ncsakany's gear list:ncsakany's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 678
Like?
Re: What's my RX1 worth ?
In reply to mcshan, Aug 23, 2013

There is no way I would take a loss on my RX1 to get the RX1R. To me that one little difference is just not worth it.  I will wait for the next version to see what improvements are made.  I would take PDAF anyway over just having the R.

ncsakany
Like?
In reply to Richard Spangler, Aug 23, 2013

Richard Spangler wrote:

I would take PDAF anyway over just having the R.

^ This. Agreed.

Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +4 more
DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,909Gear list
Like?
PDAF is not on the table........

....but it would be very nice.

In fact it would be nice if the RX1s AF was as good as the RX100.

-- hide signature --
 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,943Gear list
Like?

There is or was a low mileage one on rangefinderforum for $2100.00.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

earful
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114
Like?
Re: What's my RX1 worth ? maybe more than used rx1r

after dxomark's latest rating gets around town?

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,052Gear list
Like?
Re: I just haven't seen that Rob.
In reply to Robgo2, Aug 23, 2013

Robgo2 wrote:

DFPanno wrote:

Maybe I am just not looking hard enough.

There are some pretty impressive pics on the Flickr RX1R group page.

Reminds me of the D800E output.

-- hide signature --

Here's an example for you. In all fairness, this image was processed in Photo Ninja, which does not have a moire removal tool. I also processed it in Capture One, which does, and was able to remove the artifact, although the image did not otherwise look the same. (Disregard the pink cast. It's not in the original.) However, in the past, I have encountered moire that I could not remove by any means, and, as a result, lost some otherwise good photos.

Rob

100% crop

I was very concerned there might be moire in the herringbone fabric from this image I took yesterday, but turned out it was just from viewing a downsized image.  Once I zoomed to 1:1 the moire went away, but now I think I have a close focus problem (although likely not the fault of the RX1).

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,578Gear list
Like?

Richard Spangler wrote:

There is no way I would take a loss on my RX1 to get the RX1R. To me that one little difference is just not worth it. I will wait for the next version to see what improvements are made. I would take PDAF anyway over just having the R.

Maybe to OP DFPanno, the monetary loss on his RX1 to get the RX1r is inconsequential. Every camera depreciates the minute the seal of the box is broken. And will be harder to sell his RX1 at a good price, since it's a niche camera, and will depreciate even more as the RX1r becomes readily available.

As a pro, he probably needs that increase in IQ the RX1r may give him. And taking a 30% + depreciation hit may be fully justified to him. Better for the OP to get as much as he can now.

Just curious, is the RX1r IQ and/or feature set that much better than RX1 for non-pros/enthusiasts? After all, it's a $4000 camera to add all the toys that must go with it.   ;).

It's not exactly a camera to take snapshot with, yes?

Report back your findings. And post some superlative pictures deserving of a top tier camera.

Enjoy new RX1/r camera

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,349Gear list
Like?
DF....an update
In reply to DFPanno, Aug 24, 2013

Hi DF,  Hope you see this post.  I have been struggling a bit the first week with the RX1R.  Starting yesterday I began shooting RAW. The first week was basically this pattern: jpeg, pp in LR, and maybe adjust post lightroom with Zoombrowser on basic brightness/contrast.  I got some good shots at least I was pleased, especially in black and white which in touched up in using Nik. I found myself turning down sharpness, detail.

I read on another thread that Photo Ninja was a solid program to work with RAW on. I thought I would try it simply based on the speed aspect (especially compared to the Sony program). Photo Ninja was only $79 as I already had Noise Ninja.

I can report to you that my enjoyment of the RX1R has gone way up. Just figuring my way around the RAW I shot yesterday and today and I am doing pretty good with the Ninja program. I will get even better with more than one day's use of it. You are correct...in RAW I have tweaked detail/sharpness etc. and am now VERY pleased with the photos (mostly stuff around the city...not art but merely shots to try out with Ninja).  I now love my RX1R and will get better. Just think: I have had a new camera for just a week AND one day with a new RAW program and I am really pleased. The stuff I tweaked today doesn't seem nearly as sharp and I will get even better at delivering the more creamy texture I have always liked.

I'm sure the RX1 is great and a fine camera but should you jump to the R edition (I'm staying out of the money aspect as I have no clue what you will get for your RX!) I am certain you can make it deliver the photos that match your taste and style.   Sorry so long a post but I wanted to update you.

By the way, I still intend to shoot mostly jpeg but it is good to know that the camera really sings shooting RAW.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

ncsakany
Like?
Sorry to burst your bubble, but...
In reply to mcshan, Aug 24, 2013

... Raws from RX1 in photo ninja are exceptional as well

DFPanno
Like?
Agree mcshan. RAW+photo Ninja = win.
In reply to mcshan, Aug 24, 2013

mcshan wrote:

Hi DF, Hope you see this post. I have been struggling a bit the first week with the RX1R. Starting yesterday I began shooting RAW. The first week was basically this pattern: jpeg, pp in LR, and maybe adjust post lightroom with Zoombrowser on basic brightness/contrast. I got some good shots at least I was pleased, especially in black and white which in touched up in using Nik. I found myself turning down sharpness, detail.

I read on another thread that Photo Ninja was a solid program to work with RAW on. I thought I would try it simply based on the speed aspect (especially compared to the Sony program). Photo Ninja was only $79 as I already had Noise Ninja.

I can report to you that my enjoyment of the RX1R has gone way up. Just figuring my way around the RAW I shot yesterday and today and I am doing pretty good with the Ninja program. I will get even better with more than one day's use of it. You are correct...in RAW I have tweaked detail/sharpness etc. and am now VERY pleased with the photos (mostly stuff around the city...not art but merely shots to try out with Ninja). I now love my RX1R and will get better. Just think: I have had a new camera for just a week AND one day with a new RAW program and I am really pleased. The stuff I tweaked today doesn't seem nearly as sharp and I will get even better at delivering the more creamy texture I have always liked.

I'm sure the RX1 is great and a fine camera but should you jump to the R edition (I'm staying out of the money aspect as I have no clue what you will get for your RX!) I am certain you can make it deliver the photos that match your taste and style. Sorry so long a post but I wanted to update you.

By the way, I still intend to shoot mostly jpeg but it is good to know that the camera really sings shooting RAW.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

You must shoot raw to extract the full potential of the rx1/rx1r files.

I have been using Photo Ninja for some time now and think it is a great converter.  (Props to Rob for the suggestion).

Delighted to hear that you are getting the output you hoped for and thanks for the post.

PS - all of the later images I have on my Flickr stream were done with PN.  It is obvious that I am not a pro but nontheless I enjoy the images.

Dave

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +13 more
DFPanno
Like?
True dat.....
In reply to ncsakany, Aug 24, 2013
-- hide signature --
DFPanno
Like?
That's strange.......
In reply to teseg, Aug 24, 2013

I seem to have a "close focus" problem with this picture myself.............

-- hide signature --
Robgo2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,554
Like?
Re: That's a noticeable splotch......

DFPanno wrote:

That's the first RX1R pic I have seen with appreciable moire.

I know that the D800E see very little of it but that is a higher frequency sensor.

-- hide signature --

I guess I did not make it clear that my example showing moire was shot with the RX1 not the RX1R.  The point I was trying to make is that moire is already an issue with the weak AA filter on the RX1 and would be even more so without the filter.

Rob

mcshan
Like?
Re: Sorry to burst your bubble, but...

I was replying to a post directed at me and trying to be helpful. No bubble burst.

mcshan
Like?
Re: Agree mcshan. RAW+photo Ninja = win.

Thank you Dave,  Both cameras are great!

Steve D4 RX 1
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?

ncsakany wrote:

teseg wrote:

Very interesting. Any technical reason for the DR reduction? Could it be as simple as sample variance?

Interesting indeed. Not sure about sample variance, but can't be ruled out. If anything, one would think that the lack of AA filter would impact only perceived resolution, not dynamic range. I for one haven't noticed any difference in DR shooting the RX1 alongside the RX1R, but then again, I don't have lab testing equipment either, just my eyes to go by.

I'll stay tuned.

My take on the comparison is prompted by having people (not people that look at pictures with such a critical eye as those of us that post here) look at photos and comment about the clarity of the image.

I've asked, "Did you see this?" Pointing to some detail in a photo. The response, "Yes, but you can see everything in this picture!"

I've had no one say they are too sharp, or harsh. I don't have to sharpen, nor have I ever backed off sharpening. These are people that I am trying to sell photos to and the resolution of the RX1R helps to set these pictures apart from the competition.

The comment about the smoothness when rendering color is interesting. At first I felt that way too, but when I did my comparisons-ad nauseam-I couldn't detect a difference. Eye of the beholder?

Both are great cameras and obviously extremely close in performance. I will use the one I have and except the praise for the photos that the camera itself produces.

my 2 cents.

Best,
Steve

ncsakany
Like?
In reply to Steve D4 RX 1, Aug 24, 2013

Steve D4 RX 1 wrote:

Both are great cameras and obviously extremely close in performance. I will use the one I have and except the praise for the photos that the camera itself produces.

Well said.

Chris Crevasse
Regular MemberPosts: 308Gear list
Like?

Question to those of you who use Photo Ninja: if you've already processed your raws (after converting them to DNG) in Camera Raw or Lightroom, will PN still read the DNG as though it has not been touched by a different raw converter?  And what happens to the DNG after you tinker with it in PN -- will ACR/Lightroom ignore the changes PN made to the DNG?

Chris Crevasse's gear list:Chris Crevasse's gear list
Sony RX1 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +4 more
DFPanno
Like?
In reply to Chris Crevasse, Aug 25, 2013

You can use them idependently.  If you go to the Picture Code site they wiil explain how to set it up.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads