Peak Design Capture V1: Field review

Started Aug 21, 2013 | User reviews
jorisbens
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Peak Design Capture V1: Field review
Aug 21, 2013

I have recently returned from a 10 day hike in the Ardennes, Belgium. This was my first multi day hike since I've gotten my dslr; a Pentax k5 with an 18-135 lens.

I really wanted to bring my dslr to this hike instead of a compact camera, but I think that the carrying options I had; a neckstrap, a domke shoulderbag and a Lowepro backpack, are all unsuitable when hiking with a +/-15kg backpack. I also did not want to put the dslr in my main backpack, because I wanted to be able to access it quickly.

After some googling for a suitable product, I found the Peak Design Capture, which according to the description, was made for this goal. I looked for reviews for this product, and found many (malmost all positive), but no reviews of how it actually works on a multi day hike. Even without such reviews, I decided to order the Capture clip, and it arrived several days before I left to the Ardennes.

Before my hike, I tried out some positions on my backpack. The manual suggests attaching the capture clip to the left shoulderstrap, but I found this to be rather akward. Luckily the capture clip also fitted the "strap" on my backpacks waist belt. The most comfortable position for the capture clip with dslr and 18-135mm lens was on the waist belt just left of the buckle. In this position I hiked for 10 days, between 10 and 30km a day, without feeling any extra strain caused by the camera, the weight (1,3kg) of the camera and lens just disappeared!! And the camera doesn't swing around as it would with a neckstrap or shoulderbag.

During my 10 day hike, I never experienced any problems, the camera slides in and out easily. I never saw a need to use to screw to thighten the capture clip, the red button secures the camera well enough, even when hiking on steep terrain or climbing under or over fallen stems.

Conclusion: Fantastic product!! I always doubted if I could practically and comfortably bring my dslr on multi day hikes with a backpack, but I can with the Peak Design Capture clip!

The product does what it is meant to do, it allows you to easily carry a dslr, while carrying a backpack on a multi day hike, while keeping it very accessible for spontaneous photos!! REALLY RECOMMENDED! I will definetly keep using this product often, much more than I could have ever imagined, it really surpassed my expectations!

jorisbens's gear list:jorisbens's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS
jorisbens's score
Dc5e
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Peak Design Capture V1: Field review
In reply to jorisbens, Aug 21, 2013

I've heard nothing but good things about the capture clip. I've been wanting to get one for quite awhile but held off now that Capture Clip V2 is almost out (kickstarter ending in two days). I can't wait until the V2 ships, it should be sweet.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
N Smith
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to jorisbens, Aug 28, 2013

I bought the camera clip last year before setting off on my hiking holiday in South Tyrol.

I too had tried various methods such as a top loader attached to the backpack straps with the camera in front - was restictive when going downhill - or using a neck strap and carabiners to reduce swing.

None of these methods gave me what I wanted.

I used the capture clip for 14 days on various different hikes and was really impressed. I had the system attached to my left backpack strap and never had any worries about my gear (EOS60D + 24-105 + handstrap). The only addition I had was a velcro strap to prevent lens creep.

I too would highly recommend the system to anyone hiking.

The new version looks pretty good too.

N Smith's gear list:N Smith's gear list
Canon PowerShot A540 Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 60D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +10 more
jorisbens
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to N Smith, Aug 28, 2013

Yes, the new V2 version looks nice as well.

I ordered the first version, since i needed it ASAP.

I've thought about ordering the new version, when it was still on kickstarter, because I am so happy about the first one. But I decided that there aren't any advantages, for me, with the second version. Since I did not experience any disadvantages while using the first version, and I never use a tripod, nor monopod.

jorisbens's gear list:jorisbens's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS
N Smith
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
In reply to jorisbens, Sep 18, 2013

Just come back from 14 days in the dolomites and I'm still happy with my capture clip.

I'm definitely going to get V2 as soon as it's available. I'm going to the US in the middle of October so hopefully it will be available by then as it will be about 25% cheaper than in Europe!

N Smith's gear list:N Smith's gear list
Canon PowerShot A540 Canon PowerShot SX210 IS Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 60D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads